• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

1Vka11e.png

I wanna be the very ain't shit ,
Like no one ever was.
To put folks on blast is my real test,
To talk out the side of my mouth is my cause.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
if you never liked smash you never will. it clicks with just about everyone but if it doesn't a new one won't change anything.

get dragon age.
Those weird looking giants are great villains?

villains in the sense of a natural predator, force a nature, immovable object etc

the titans are outstanding

in all criticisms of the show and manga, you'll never hear shit about the titans. they make the entire premise. dude fucked up by not keeping it about them.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
attack on titan is so fun to hate on but i honestly love it

titans = greatest villain/predator since the borg

It's like the show can't make up it's mind whether they're unstoppable forces of destruction or fodder on the level of the Putty Patrole

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
AC being trash and MCC bundle being Walmart exclusive has me wavering but all this Smash talk making me not want a U. never cared for the series.

Don't cave man

Half the people on it right now will stop come next week, and the other half the week after

Don't drop all that cash on a game you don't even like chasing crowds

Wii U has the best lineup of exclusives of any platform

True, depends on how much you love Nintendo games. If that's not your thing, Sunset Over drive, Forza Horizon 2, and multiplats make the Xbox One decent this season. PS4 is the better console, but if someone asks, I have to recommend the XB1. That feels odd to me.

DY_nasty

PS4 got Guilty Gear tho

All I needed to hear

basically

and nintendo hasn't kicked out anything in the genres i really love for years. shooters, sports games (i refuse to play anything but mario kart or smash on a gc controller and that wiistick was horrible), rpgs, fighting games (capcom vs tat was concentrated meh)

i'll give Xenoblade 2 a shot but wow man... give me the opportunity to love you nintendo. geez

DY_nasty

Don't worry there's no horses in it.

Also I'm getting the feeling Smash Bros is being a little blown out of..proportion. Over-hype if you will.

you say that about fucking everything. people are happy

those sons of bitches

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Don't worry there's no horses in it.

Also I'm getting the feeling Smash Bros is being a little blown out of..proportion. Over-hype if you will.

Nah. I think it's a good game that's well made and that the people playing it are genuinely enjoying it at the moment.

I just don't think the enthusiasm will last, which is why I'm not getting in on it.

but I mean that's fine. So long as people are having fun don't matter if it's only in the moment. Games don't have to be long term investments

:D

also I'm salty I don't have smash or a wii u

Oh the truth already came out lol

ReiGun

I think Smash 4 has a long life ahead of it. People are feeling it a lot more than Brawl and the fact that the online actually works should give it a couple years at least. The competitive community is digging it, so at least those types will be playing it.

basically

and nintendo hasn't kicked out anything in the genres i really love for years. shooters, sports games (i refuse to play anything but mario kart or smash on a gc controller and that wiistick was horrible), rpgs, fighting games (capcom vs tat was concentrated meh)

i'll give Xenoblade 2 a shot but wow man... give me the opportunity to love you nintendo. geez

You play the original Xenoblade? One of the best JRPG's in a while, I thought.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Is the sub group Dattebuyo still around?

Nah

I think they stopped when Crunchyroll came on the scene.

I think Smash 4 has a long life ahead of it. People are feeling it a lot more than Brawl and the fact that the online actually works should give it a couple years at least. The competitive community is digging it, so at least those types will be playing it.

Depends on Nintendo's support. A lot of people are worried they'll just patch out any techniques people figure out so it's not worth putting time into in the long run

I just know I'm not a Smash dude, so I wasn't going to spend 100 dollars on a game and a controller for it.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Dudes were so childish, they were forever threatening to quit.

Yeah I don't miss them. lol

Every fansub group had their weird quirks back then. I remember Kaizoku-Fansubs, despite being slow as shit having the highest quality One Piece subs

but they left words untranslated and it bugged the shit out of me lol. So much so that people now associate words like "Nakama" with the series like it's a special phrase.

People shit on Crunchyroll, but they really the best thing that ever happened to fansubs.

Malyse

Nah. I think it's a good game that's well made and that the people playing it are genuinely enjoying it at the moment.

I just don't think the enthusiasm will last, which is why I'm not getting in on it.

but I mean that's fine. So long as people are having fun don't matter if it's only in the moment. Games don't have to be long term investments

Oh the truth already came out lol

You underestimate int nightmare tier unlockables as well as the party appeal and the allure of DLC.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
You underestimate int nightmare tier unlockables as well as the party appeal and the allure of DLC.

Yeah maybe

Again I'm not a smash guy. My smash days were always casual at best and ended when I got out of high school.

Slayven

Yeah I don't miss them. lol

Every fansub group had their weird quirks. I remember Kaizoku-Fansubs, despite being slow as shit having the highest quality One Piece subs

but they left words untranslated and it bugged the shit out of me lol. So much so that people now associate words like "Nakama" with the series like it's a special phrase.

Are they related to TV-Nihon cause they do the exact same thing? For years I thought a character's catchphrase could not be translated into English. Turns out they were just being lazy.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Are they related to TV-Nihon cause they do the exact same thing? For years I thought a character's catchphrase could not be translated into English. Turns out they were just being lazy.

I don't think so, but they're responsible for the terms use in US communities.

They were pretty much everyone's gateway into One Piece back in the day since the anime was a lot more faithful to the source back then and the scanlations of the manga at the time were horrible.(I think they still are for the early part of the series)

For them it wasn't laziness so much as it was some perceived emotional contextual content the phrase had in the series that couldn't be translated. Which I think is even more obnoxious lol.

They're a lot less influential now since they're so far behind(I think they just finished enies lobby) but it still irks the shit out of me when I see it pop up in a weekly translation. it's the ultimate weeb phrase to me

Some Japanese words/phrases can be difficult to translate into a single word because they entail concepts we don't have single or simple words for, but it's not impossible. Those fan subs were just cheeks

How is pizza express and little chief?

You only go to Pizza Express for birthday parties etc. And Dreamdrop, we used to have Pizza Huts but they were doing shit and closed down. I'm actually surprised you guys still have them.

Also, I hate all of you playing Smash right now while I have to wait. Fuck staggered releases.

Slayven

Some Japanese words/phrases can be difficult to translate into a single word because they entail concepts we don't have single or simple words for, but it's not impossible. Those fan subs were just cheeks

They think they should be doing literal translations.

The greatest sub ever was a when a show did a wrestling episode complete with an announcer and they translated the announcer into Jim Ross speak

ReiGun

I remember of the days of translation notes at top of the screen, animation for attacks and catchphrases, words left untranslated, and honorifics everywhere.

So wait. Thanks to groups like TV-Nihon, those days are still here!

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I remember of the days of translation notes at top of the screen, animation for attacks and catchphrases, words left untranslated, and honorifics everywhere.

qwVMKTB.jpg

Honestly though, I loved Kaizoku's attack name animations lol

Slayven

I am getting old, flashy subs distract me

ReiGun

I am getting old, flashy subs distract me
The translation notes always killed me. I'd be trying to follow along with the characters explaining something or some high tension situation and there'd be a fucking paragraph at the top of the screen going on about the Edo period or some shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom