• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortemis

Banned
That last page has been killing me.

Kuroko season 3 starts January 10th
GMxuz.png

Breh this and jojo is coming back too. Anime about to be relevant again. Haven't watched shit in a while.

Top 5 worse things I've ever eaten
  • Chicken
    Cheese rolls
    Reese's peanut butter with gravy
    Lobster
    Dark chocolate

Also The Crew OT is glorious

Not liking sweet potato pie is one thing, but this shit brehs, this shit is pure fuckery.

Nothing is sacred in here.

Here’s the thing. When we talk about race relations in America or racial progress, it’s all nonsense. There are no race relations. White people were crazy. Now they’re not as crazy. To say that black people have made progress would be to say they deserve what happened to them before.
So, to say Obama is progress is saying that he’s the first black person that is qualified to be president. That’s not black progress. That’s white progress. There’s been black people qualified to be president for hundreds of years. If you saw Tina Turner and Ike having a lovely breakfast over there, would you say their relationship’s improved? Some people would. But a smart person would go, “Oh, he stopped punching her in the face.” It’s not up to her. Ike and Tina Turner’s relationship has nothing to do with Tina Turner. Nothing. It just doesn’t. The question is, you know, my kids are smart, educated, beautiful, polite children. There have been smart, educated, beautiful, polite black children for hundreds of years. The advantage that my children have is that my children are encountering the nicest white people that America has ever produced. Let’s hope America keeps producing nicer white people.

Truer shit has never been spoken.

MC Safety

I like the thread title.

I worked for Wizard: The Comics Magazine all those many years ago, and I got to interview Chris Priest a few times. He had the most awesome laugh. I tape recorded the interviews to get the quotes right, and man! one time he let out the most evil supervillain laughs ever. Unfortunately, I lost the tape to time.

It was on the tip of my tongue to ask Priest why he changed his name. But I never did.

Slayven

I like the thread title.

I worked for Wizard: The Comics Magazine all those many years ago, and I got to interview Chris Priest a few times. He had the most awesome laugh. I tape recorded the interviews to get the quotes right, and man! one time he let out the most evil supervillain laughs ever. Unfortunately, I lost the tape to time.

It was on the tip of my tongue to ask Priest why he changed his name. But I never did.

Man that brings back memories, a stack of comics and a wizard to finish them off.

Made me go to see if Newtype usa was still being published, shocked it lasted to 2008

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
The thing that's killing me about the bayo thread, is the ignoring of tv, film, lit, and fighting game history to try and excuse it. lol. It is what it is. Be mad or nah.

The imagery isn't even new in the series. Bayo does this shit to every enemy not named, "father."

Rodin is a fallen angel, so while they are close, he makes it painfully obvious that he isn't a nice guy and will put the beats on you if forced.

People copping pleas for a game that doesn't need them to be copped, 3bh.

Kamiya did it in the W101 too.

Slayven

The thing that's killing me about the bayo thread, is the ignoring of tv, film, lit, and fighting game history to try and excuse it. lol. It is what it is. Be mad or nah.

The imagery isn't even new in the series. Bayo does this shit to every enemy not named, "father."

Rodin is a fallen angel, so while they are close, he makes it painfully obvious that he isn't a nice guy and will put the beats on you if forced.

People copping pleas for a game that doesn't need them to be copped, 3bh.

Kamiya did it in the W101 too.
More posts in the thread than copies sold of the game.

jmood88

Chicken?

Lobster?

I can't...

Although I will admit that I always thought lobster was overrated. It's the blandest of the succulent crustacean meats we consume. Then again, this is coming from someone who was raised on dat crawfish...

Crawfish is overrated. Way too much work for little reward.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
If there is one thing that I cannot handle its being woken up by dumb shit.

That's really it. I'd rather find out I had clap or something.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
If there is one thing that I cannot handle its being woken up by dumb shit.

That's really it. I'd rather find out I had clap or something.
I'm always mad when I get woken up by anything besides my alarm. Doubly so if I have to deal with some drama when I am still groggy. One of those things that activates rage mode automatically.

DY_nasty

I'm always mad when I get woken up by anything besides my alarm. Doubly so if I have to deal with some drama when I am still groggy. One of those things that activates rage mode automatically.

Clap? THAT bad?

Being woken up by shit that has absolutely fuck-nothing to do with me sends me over the edge. Like - I'll put up with whatever bullshit you want when I'm awake. Take it all in stride. But when I'm asleep in my own bed, you'd better find a way to at least have the courtesy to not involve me.

I'm pretty sure its the only way for me to get pissed off when I'm not actively looking to be angry in advance.

Slayven

Being woken up by shit that has absolutely fuck-nothing to do with me sends me over the edge. Like - I'll put up with whatever bullshit you want when I'm awake. Take it all in stride. But when I'm asleep in my own bed, you'd better find a way to at least have the courtesy to not involve me.

I'm pretty sure its the only way for me to get pissed off when I'm not actively looking to be angry in advance.

But Dy jr was hungry.

Slayven

Ever read something with a minority character and you can tell that the author didn't spend much time around such a minority?

Just finish a book that had a black drag queen in it, and the character's only lines were pretty much "You know that right child", " Ummm hmm", "How I look girl?", and one oddly used "We got you faded".

Ever read something with a minority character and you can tell that the author didn't spend much time around such a minority?

Just finish a book that had a black drag queen in it, and the character's only lines were pretty much "You know that right child", " Ummm hmm", "How I look girl?", and one oddly used "We got you faded".

I think a book that's completely in Ebonics or broken English written by a black person for what I presume to be authenticity is worse *looks at Their Eyes were watching God*

Had to read it for class..straight up told my teacher I'm not reading it. She suggested cliffnotes as if she understood that pain.

I know Dy's already in there, but this has got to be the biggest case of missing the point in GAF history, right? I mean, it's up there. Jesus.

33 cities have banned feeding the homeless. America's plan for the homeless is to starve them, apparently.

This country is literally Satan's spawn.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/food-feud-more-cities-block-meal-sharing-homeless-n113271

I remember back in Japan when there were homeless in more metropolitan areas, people would actually leave them food rather than money. I'm not proud of it, but where I live now (Florida Panhandle) has kinda skewed my opinion on the mendicant because there are so many goddamn panhandlers here, too. You can't go 10 miles on the coastal highway without seeing one. They also frequent more popular plazas / social areas in Pensacola during tourist season in hopes that they'll get unsuspecting newcomers or military with cash to spare and just loiter. They average something like $40 an hour. It's ridiculous.

DY_nasty

33 cities have banned feeding the homeless. America's plan for the homeless is to starve them, apparently.

This country is literally Satan's spawn.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/food-feud-more-cities-block-meal-sharing-homeless-n113271

Please tell me you at least read all of that first. When you have groups offering food to homeless whereverthefuck, you're bringing a simple solution to a complex problem. Arresting volunteers? No. Duh. Obviously that's bad for everyone. At the same time, these volunteers could do two things

1) Not draw attention grabbing lines in the sand with "Are you really going to arrest me for helping humanity!?"
2) Coordinate with city-run programs to make sure that everyone is on the same page so there aren't massive misuses of funds, displacement issues, etc.

Read the whole article. It isn't Syria ffs

DY_nasty

I know Dy's already in there, but this has got to be the biggest case of missing the point in GAF history, right? I mean, it's up there. Jesus.

I remember back in Japan when there were homeless in more metropolitan areas, people would actually leave them food rather than money. I'm not proud of it, but where I live now (Florida Panhandle) has kinda skewed my opinion on the mendicant because there are so many goddamn panhandlers here, too. You can't go 10 miles on the coastal highway without seeing one. They also frequent more popular plazas / social areas in Pensacola during tourist season in hopes that they'll get unsuspecting newcomers or military with cash to spare and just loiter. They average something like $40 an hour. It's ridiculous.
I already can't stand the majority of US citizens so its whatever.

But regarding the homeless stuff again... man, after doing my work in SC, I'm never giving a homeless person cash again. Ever.

I guarantee you won't get arrested for lining up your goodwill with their own. When you're pulling homeless away from established help centers and shelters into parks where upkeep on a good day isn't cheap - you're just making it hard on every other taxpayer in the area. Money is basically wasted in every direction. You want to help someone, donate to a shelter.

jWILL253

Banned
I read the article. I personally don't give a fuck about the context or minute details about this shit. It's personal for me.

33 American cities. They aren't all suffering from the same panhandling problems, or coordination issues.

And even if they were, you lose me with an argument like this:

“Give me a name of one person who got a job because they were fed. Feeding alone, or giving out clothing or camping equipment, does not address the core issues of being homeless,” Marbut said. “You don’t graduate from the street because you ate a Big Mac tonight."

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I read the article. I personally don't give a fuck about the context or minute details about this shit. It's personal for me.

33 American cities. They aren't all suffering from the same panhandling problems, or coordination issues.

And even if they were, you lose me with an argument like this:
Maybe work on the phrasing but...how is that argument not right? And I agree with DY here, donating your time/money/food to a shelter seems better spent and more focused than rewarding people out on the street.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom