• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Even worse.

its-a-trap-what-happens-when-advertisers-dont-meet-twitters-spending-quotas.jpg

wow i'm fucking stupid. I swore i double checked at the time of ordering for the ticket to the Sunday of this festival, Google Now popping up for me saying "hey don't forget it's today!" type shit, i actually open the pdf ticket that came with the email and realize my mistake and it's in 1 hour

Infinite

anyone seen Kara Walker's installation in the domino sugar factory, A Subtly? I'll post the images if not. She built a 35 ft high, 75 ft long sugar coated mammy Spinx over the summer. I bring this up now because she recently gave an interview with Ava DuVernay talking about it. In the interview she brought up the hashtag where people posted some 'questionable' selfies on social media. She said that the reaction on social media didn't surprise her at all.

NSFW
http://www.livincool.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/image-33.jpeg
http://www.livincool.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/image-32.jpeg
http://galleries.gothamistllc.com/a.../web_gallery/KaraWalkerDomino-TodSeelie-5.jpg

anyone seen Kara Walker's installation in the domino sugar factory, A Subtly? I'll post the images if not. She built a 35 ft high, 75 ft long sugar coated mammy Spinx over the summer. I bring this up now because she recently gave an interview with Ava DuVernay talking about it. In the interview she brought up the hashtag where people posted some 'questionable' selfies on social media. She said that the reaction on social media didn't surprise her at all.

NSFW
http://www.livincool.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/image-33.jpeg
http://www.livincool.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/image-32.jpeg
http://galleries.gothamistllc.com/a.../web_gallery/KaraWalkerDomino-TodSeelie-5.jpg

Immature, but average janes and joes aren't going to think too deeply on artistic expression (not that this was particulary deep or thoughtful). Think any large nude depiction would have gotten similar dumb pics.

Infinite

Immature, but average janes and joes aren't going to think too deeply on artistic expression (not that this was particulary deep or thoughtful). Think any large nude depiction would have gotten similar dumb pics.

I know. She anticipated that though and made it apart of the piece with the hashtag.

You don't think this piece was thoughtful?

I know. She anticipated that though and made it apart of the piece with the hashtag.

You don't think this piece was thoughtful?
If I had to think of a mocking juxtaposition of contemporary black art that's what I would come up with.

Egyptian corollary - check
Inversion of racist tropes - check
Nudity - check

Only missing an accompanying piece with a black man carrying the globe.

Infinite

If I had to think of a mocking juxtaposition of contemporary black art that's what I would come up with.

Egyptian corollary - check
Inversion of racist tropes - check
Nudity - check

Only missing an accompanying piece with a black man carrying the globe.

I vehemently disagree with that. That honestly sounds a simplistic and narrow criticism and very silly of you to say imo. How can you make commentary on racists tropes and black female sexuality with out, well, racists tropes and black female sexuality? Putting things into tropes and then subsequently dismissing it because it fits into a trope is lazy criticism.

Anyway, for one thing I would say this being installed in the Domino sugar factory in gentrified ass williamsburg, in which the factory itself is being torn down itself in favor of condos is a whole message in itself.

I vehemently disagree with that. That honestly sounds a simplistic and narrow criticism and very silly of you to say imo. How can you make commentary on racists tropes and black female sexuality with out, well, racists tropes and black female sexuality? Putting things into tropes and then subsequently dismissing it because it fits into a trope is lazy criticism.

Anyway, for one thing I would say this being installed in the Domino sugar factory in gentrified ass williamsburg, in which the factory itself is being torn down itself in favor of condos is a whole message in itself.
Get out your feelings.

andthebeatgoeson

Chipotle has bomb margaritas and decent outside sitting. Can't get that at any other day food restaurant. Had one yesterday, them went to early vote. We made it, brehs.

strobogo

Banned
yea, not surprising.

people gassing up the purge anarchy?

I mean it's better than the first, but that's not really much of an accomplishment. The first movie was fucking horrible.

It's a pretty dope Punisher movie. Frank Grillo should have held out to be Frank Castle instead of Crossbones in the MCU.

Infinite

-shrug-
Guy asks why I felt a certain away about a piece, then when I provide reason, goes on to call me silly?

That's about the nicest thing I have to say in response to that.

I didn't call you silly, dude.

edit - I just thought we were having a discussion. I have no porblem with you and I think you're a cool dude. I just happened to disagree with what you said about the piece and expressed why. Yes, I said it was silly but I didn't take to insult your intelligence or call you silly. If you took it that way I'll say I am sorry but I honestly meant no harm. Just expected a discussion out of the topic I brought up here.

a 35 ft high, 75 ft long sugar coated mammy Spinx

i don't know what i expected, but i'm impressed that this is exactly what it's described as, def shoula taken that nsfw notice more seriously

i personally don't care for "thoughtful" art full of "meaning" or the like, but it's a nice statue despite being a waste of sugar

god dam pdf tickets, ok so i did buy the right day and the pdf confused me and Google Now with it listing both days on the ticket despite i only bought it for Sunday (It has Saturday as the start time which is factual in the sense the overall event starts that day)

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got off my ass and played Bayo 2

All it took was the prologue opening cinematic and I was all in

Just like the first game

Amazon keeps changing the arrival date on me.

Bro just bought it digital so I cancelled mine last week

but I'm feeling like ordering it now just to have it because of how much I'm enjoying it

I have my doubts about PG games going forward, but I can't believe I thought their problems would spill over into Bayonetta

I just aim to abuse the economy, those virtue trees (or whatever their called now) took me a bit to get the hang of.

I just gunned for military, so I guess from alpha centauri I'm team Santiago all the way from playing alpha centauri

what's really not that useful is science rushing which i'm kinda bummed about

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Amazon keeps changing the arrival date on me.

i was bitching about usps not delivering my package yesterday. apparently they didnt even take it on route. i wish you could choose your carrier on amazon, because i would never deal with these fucks again.

Mortemis

Banned
Finally got off my ass and played Bayo 2

All it took was the prologue opening cinematic and I was all in

Just like the first game

Bro just bought it digital so I cancelled mine last week

but I'm feeling like ordering it now just to have it because of how much I'm enjoying it

I have my doubts about PG games going forward, but I can't believe I thought their problems would spill over into Bayonetta

Bruh did you think it would end up like MGR?

The fact that Bayonetta 2 is out and I don't have it or even a Wii U to play it on...

tocry.png

:(

I feel the exact way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom