• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Lol Who made that title? Also, I had a "Hey you're a black guy at a party! Now we can really have fun!" moment at the bar the other night. Got a whole bunch of free shots and drinks from people. Are we really as sociable as the media makes us? Lol

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Bruh did you think it would end up like MGR?

After playing the diet versions of Bayonetta in MGR and Wonderful 101 I forgot how good the real thing was.

I just needed a taste to remember though

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Glad my brother has been blindly purchasing nintendo platforms since the gamecube

Dude never learns

DominoKid

Lol Who made that title? Also, I had a "Hey you're a black guy at a party! Now we can really have fun!" moment at the bar the other night. Got a whole bunch of free shots and drinks from people. Are we really as sociable as the media makes us? Lol

Nope but all the free stuff helps!

Depends on the crowd yeah. Same reason why black folks think white people are turn up central lol

Malyse

Even worse.

its-a-trap-what-happens-when-advertisers-dont-meet-twitters-spending-quotas.jpg

It's a lot of fun. Simple, but I can dig it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno, Cyborg is pretty fucked. Regular folks have no idea about this guy. Black Panther brings a lot to the table.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
"Does Black Panther signal the beginning of a terrifying new white-hating regime in Hollywood?"

Slayven

I dunno, Cyborg is pretty fucked. Regular folks have no idea about this guy. Black Panther brings a lot to the table.

White people are scared of a disease that is in less than .00001 of africa. Imagine they see a first world nation that tells the USA to suck eggs, we can do it better.

ReiGun

Cyborg will have been in three movies by the time his comes out. He'll be fine.

The entire concept of Black Panther is going to be repellent to mainstream audiences. I wonder how they intend to market it.

strobogo

Banned
Cyborg will have been in three movies by the time his comes out. He'll be fine.

The entire concept of Black Panther is going to be repellent to mainstream audiences. I wonder how they intend to market it.

I disagree completely. The concept of GOTG was a massive hit to mainstream audiences. How is a super bad ass black dude going to turn them off when a humanoid tree and talking raccoon didn't? The attitude towards a BP movie is so self defeating and I think that is stupid. BP has been featured in multiple games and cartoons and the idea that you can't make a movie about him because it will scare white people is stupid. If it is a Marvel movie, it will make money. BP is a bad mother fucker. Get a bad mother fucker to play him. Give it the same hype all the other movies get. It will be a success. The mainstream audience for a Marvel movie is EVERYONE.

ReiGun

I disagree completely. The concept of GOTG was a massive hit to mainstream audiences. How is a super bad ass black dude going to turn them off when a humanoid tree and talking raccoon didn't? The attitude towards a BP movie is so self defeating and I think that is stupid. BP has been featured in multiple games and cartoons and the idea that you can't make a movie about him because it will scare white people is stupid. If it is a Marvel movie, it will make money. BP is a bad mother fucker. Get a bad mother fucker to play him. Give it the same hype all the other movies get. It will be a success. The mainstream audience for a Marvel movie is EVERYONE.

I'm over this idea that GOTG was this super out there concept. Rocket and Groot are aliens. Audiences get aliens. Talking dogs, birds, trees, robots, bugs, toys, fucking toasters. Audiences will roll with that shit.

You know what audiences don't seem to roll with nowadays? Black folk. Or at least, movie studios don't think so. Sure, Black Panther been in things, but never in something focused entirely on him that has the same reach as a summer blockbuster.

Do I think the movie is destined to fail? No. I can't predict the future so I don't try to. But I do think it's going to be a tough sell to those "I can't relate" types that struggle or flat out refuse to engage with anything starring a person of color.

So Anderson Silva is wearing a Leather Kilt

tell Yeezy He done come up.

I'm over this idea that GOTG was this super out there concept. Rocket and Groot are aliens. Audiences get aliens. Talking dogs, birds, trees, robots, bugs, toys, fucking toasters. Audiences will roll with that shit.

this

Mortemis

Banned

You know what audiences don't seem to roll with nowadays? Black folk. Or at least, movie studios don't think so. Sure, Black Panther been in things, but never in something focused entirely on him that has the same reach as a summer blockbuster.

Do I think the movie is destined to fail? No. I can't predict the future so I don't try to. But I do think it's going to be a tough sell to those "I can't relate" types that struggle or flat out refuse to engage with anything starring a person of color.

Seriously. GoTG was a pretty safe movie imo, the only thing not safe is that the source wasn't as popular as the other marvel movie sources but that doesn't really matter in hollywood. It still starred a white guy that can pull people in, had that marvel level of humor, and yeah audiences get aliens.

strobogo

Banned

GOTG not only is a weird concept, but is a property that I would wager more than 95% of people going to see the movie had never heard of and never read a single book of. There is no way that Black Panther is a harder sell than Guardians. Movie studios don't think audiences will roll with black folk. Until that black folk is in a big time Marvel movie. Black Panther is not a hard concept and the idea that people won't go to it because it is about a black guy is silly, in my opinion. Maybe some indie black super hero. But a Marvel Studios black super hero is money. It's not a hard concept and there are a lot more than just white people going to these movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom