• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

Chiwetel-Ejiofor-alfred-dunhill-43.jpg

Chiwetel Ejiofor is... Black Panther.

New page get. Dream super hero castings.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
its a good thing you edited that dream. i went searching for an announcement and was about to ask for some sort of proof

as for bp, my pic is still the same. aldis hodge

J10

Banned
I'm over this idea that GOTG was this super out there concept. Rocket and Groot are aliens. Audiences get aliens. Talking dogs, birds, trees, robots, bugs, toys, fucking toasters. Audiences will roll with that shit.

You know what audiences don't seem to roll with nowadays? Black folk. Or at least, movie studios don't think so. Sure, Black Panther been in things, but never in something focused entirely on him that has the same reach as a summer blockbuster.

Do I think the movie is destined to fail? No. I can't predict the future so I don't try to. But I do think it's going to be a tough sell to those "I can't relate" types that struggle or flat out refuse to engage with anything starring a person of color.

Here's how you make a Black Panther movie successful: Put the Marvel logo at the beginning of the movie.

Five years ago, yeah.

My list:

Chiwetel Ejiofor
Chadwick Boseman (Jackie Robinson in 42, James Brown in Get On Up)
Michael B. Jordan
Dayo Okeniyi (Thresh from the Hunger Games)
Rob Brown (Finding Forrester, The Express)

My favorite on this list is Dayo Okeniyi. Dark chocolate and born in Lagos, Nigeria. Also under the age of 30. C'mon, Thresh as T'challa. Chiwetel Ejiofor can play T'chaka.

also: Aldis Hodge is a good choice, Gorillaz.

I think that all these fine brothers should be in the movie, just let Dayo be T'challa. :)

ReiGun

GOTG not only is a weird concept, but is a property that I would wager more than 95% of people going to see the movie had never heard of and never read a single book of. There is no way that Black Panther is a harder sell than Guardians. Movie studios don't think audiences will roll with black folk. Until that black folk is in a big time Marvel movie. Black Panther is not a hard concept and the idea that people won't go to it because it is about a black guy is silly, in my opinion. Maybe some indie black super hero. But a Marvel Studios black super hero is money. It's not a hard concept and there are a lot more than just white people going to these movies.

I'm also tired of the idea that this matters. If current pop culture status mattered, the only superheroes that would have ever gotten movies would have been Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, the X-Men, and maybe Hulk and Wonder Woman. At best, 500,000 people a month read comic books; ain't no one choosing their potential movie franchises based off numbers like that.

GotG is Star Wars: Marvel Edition. It's nothing audiences haven't seen before, and the obsession with turning it into this oddity of film stories is bizarre. Damn fine movie, though.

Black Panther would a movie with a majority black cast set in a fictional nation that spits in the face of society's preconceived notions about Africa and black ability starring a superhero whose name is most closely associated with a radical black organization. Just saying a fairly "political" character like that might be turn off for people given what I know about the world.

But hey. Marvel is perfect so the movie will likely make $900 million and this will all be moot. *shrug*

strobogo

Banned
I'm also tired of the idea that this matters. If current pop culture status mattered, the only superheroes that would have ever gotten movies would have been Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, the X-Men, and maybe Hulk and Wonder Woman. At best, 500,000 people a month read comic books; ain't no one choosing their potential movie franchises based off numbers like that.

GotG is Star Wars: Marvel Edition. It's nothing audiences haven't seen before, and the obsession with turning it into this oddity of film stories is bizarre. Damn fine movie, though.

Black Panther would a movie with a majority black cast set in a fictional nation that spits in the face of society's preconceived notions about Africa and black ability starring a superhero whose name is most closely associated with a radical black organization. Just saying a fairly "political" character like that might be turn off for people given what I know about the world.

But hey. Marvel is perfect so the movie will likely make $900 million and this will all be moot. *shrug*

I just think you're over estimating how much of an issue people would have with the concept. I really don't think it would be a big deal at all. And if it is, GOOD, because that means that shit can be challenged and change and make progress for other black and other minority movies to get made with the same quality and budget as "buncha white people with super powers" movies. If people just sit around and say it can't be done because too many people will be upset with it, then shit never gets done. Get a Black Panther movie out. Get a Black Panther mobile game. Black Panther will then be the Rosa Parks of mobile gaming. Don't you understand?

Parallax

thats why they'll have everett ross as his liaison for the first movie, like that white dude from the first hellboy.

Crocodile

I'll admit what I know about Black Panther is mostly sourced from cultural osmosis but are we afraid the general movie going audience will be disinterested in a Black Panther film because it would have to have a majority Black cast or actively put off or offended because of mistaken associations with the Black Panther party? Like does the name "Black Panther" have any negative connotations to the general movie going audience anymore? I don't expect most of the people who would pay money to watch a Marvel movie would have been alive & old enough during the heyday of the party to actively give a shit if an related character had a similar name.

ReiGun

I just think you're over estimating how much of an issue people would have with the concept. I really don't think it would be a big deal at all. And if it is, GOOD, because that means that shit can be challenged and change and make progress for other black and other minority movies to get made with the same quality and budget as "buncha white people with super powers" movies. If people just sit around and say it can't be done because too many people will be upset with it, then shit never gets done. Get a Black Panther movie out. Get a Black Panther mobile game. Black Panther will then be the Rosa Parks of mobile gaming. Don't you understand?
LOL

I'm not saying it can't or shouldn't happen. Everyone here should know that Black Panther and Wonder Woman have been my two most requested movies since all this superhero shit popped off and nothing would make me happier than for Marvel to come out Tuesday make my dream of a world where both are coming out in the next couple years real.

All I'm saying is I think it's going to be tough. Not impossible. Just tough. I think Wonder Woman is going to be tough too: a superhero who is expressly about feminist ideals? In a world that scared shitless of feminism? But both can, should, and probably are going to happen. And I think both will be successful when all is said and done. I'm just curious how the characters' respective companies are going to handle and market the source material, given the concepts behind both characters and the fact that both exist in this weird place where people know of them but not really much about them.

thats why they'll have everett ross as his liaison for the first movie, like that white dude from the first hellboy.

Yup. Everett K the swag gawd gonna get this shit greenlight.

Man. I'm happy as fuck. Bout to watch Days of Future Past, eat a double decker taco, got this gorgeous woman come over to show me her costume, got off the phone with the realest sister I've spoke with in a minute and got a date lined up on Monday with another. Things feeling good. Single life is the shit!!!!

And slay, if toei had that budget they would be running hollywood. Real shit.

And Chiwetel Elijifor and Aldis Hodge are my picks.

Village

LOL

I'm not saying it can't or shouldn't happen. Everyone here should know that Black Panther and Wonder Woman have been my two most requested movies since all this superhero shit popped off and nothing would make me happier than for Marvel to come out Tuesday make my dream of a world where both are coming out in the next couple years real.

All I'm saying is I think it's going to be tough. Not impossible. Just tough. I think Wonder Woman is going to be tough too: a superhero who is expressly about feminist ideals? In a world that scared shitless of feminism? But both can, should, and probably are going to happen. And I think both will be successful when all is said and done. I'm just curious how the characters' respective companies are going to handle and market the source material, given the concepts behind both characters and the fact that both exist in this weird place where people know of them but not really much about them.

Yup. Everett K the swag gawd gonna get this shit greenlight.

I think WW is a bit more complicated and themes will be ditched for the movies that may make WW fans upset.

I think those themes is why a lot of girls I know and I have seen who like or ike the concept of comics have latched onto captain marvel so much recently

ReiGun

I love Halloween and would like to continue to live in my fantasy world where everyone just dresses up as witches and sailors, but the fuckery is getting too hard to ignore.

I think WW is a bit more complicated and themes will be ditched for the movies that may make WW fans upset.

I think those themes is why a lot of girls I know and I have seen who like or ike the concept of comics have latched onto captain marvel so much recently

I agree. They're either going to just turn her into a generic action chick, or straight up character assassinate the Amazons and make Diana "one of the good ones." I'm hoping for otherwise, though. Hoping so hard. :/

I wish I could see what everyone else sees in Capt. Marvel. Yeah, Carol's rocking one of the best damn costumes in the game, but everything about that book is just utterly dull to me.

Village

I agree. They're either going to just turn her into a generic action chick, or straight up character assassinate the Amazons and make Diana "one of the good ones." I'm hoping for otherwise, though. Hoping so hard. :/

I wish I could see what everyone else sees in Capt. Marvel.
Yeah, Carol's rocking one of the best damn costumes in the game, but everything about that book is just utterly dull to me.

Well she doesn't come with weird contradictory BDSM undertones.

I love WW but I can understand someone being like
" Oh WW she's a cool... what with all this BDSM shit. What do you do captain marvel ?"
" I wear clothes and punch people in the face"
" sold"

ReiGun

Well she doesn't come with weird contradictory BDSM undertones.

I love WW but I can understand someone being like
" Oh WW she's a cool... what with all this BDSM shit. What you do captain marvel ?"
" I wear clothes and punch people in the face"
" sold"

The BDSM stuff hasn't mattered since Marston left the book some 60 years ago. The lasso is the only left over from it and even that barely registers as BDSM to most people. It's like bringing up that Batman used to use a gun.

The conversation is normally like:

"What do you do, Wonder Woman?"
"I block bullets with my bracelets and punch god and dragons in the face."
"Neat!"

J10

Banned
I was working on music and feeling good. Sister comes over talking about she got an idea for a trap song about Ferragamo shoes. I emailed her a 4 bar 808 loop to write to just to get her out of my face. I'm sure I'll hate whatever she comes up with. Mood destroyed.

Now I'm sipping Jack and playing SFxT.

Village

The BDSM stuff hasn't mattered since Marston left the book some 60 years ago. The lasso is the only left over from it and even that barely registers as BDSM to most people. It's like bringing up that Batman used to use a gun.

Eh... I would argue that is a more constant theme than you think and its been incorporated into their animated films.

I feel like she going to be thor, and ceirce will be pushed as a loki. She will be action lady

The conversation is normally like:

"What do you do, Wonder Woman?"
"I block bullets with my bracelets and punch god and dragons in the face."
"Neat!"

The conversation is normally like " wonder woman is stupid, and super man is stupid, but batman is cool " you know this in your heart its true.

I was working on music and feeling good. Sister comes over talking about she got an idea for a trap song about Ferragamo shoes. I emailed her a 4 bar 808 loop to write to just to get her out of my face. I'm sure I'll hate whatever she comes up with. Mood destroyed.

Now I'm sipping Jack and playing SFxT.

She the next Bobby Shmurda dawg

ReiGun

Eh... I would argue that is a more constant theme than you think and its been incorporated into their animated films.

I feel like she going to be thor, and ceirce will be pushed as a loki. She will be action lady
Eh I don't know. I mean, the lasso is always there, but like I said, it doesn't register. If it did and was truly as repellent as you claim, we'd have a lot less clamoring for a Wonder Woman movie than we currently do.

The conversation is normally like " wonder woman is stupid, and super man is stupid, but batman is cool " you know this in your heart its true.

Well if we're going that honest, the conversation is really like

"What do you think of Captain Marvel?"
"Who?"

:p

Parallax

Man. I'm happy as fuck. Bout to watch Days of Future Past, eat a double decker taco, got this gorgeous woman come over to show me her costume, got off the phone with the realest sister I've spoke with in a minute and got a date lined up on Monday with another. Things feeling good. Single life is the shit!!!!

And slay, if toei had that budget they would be running hollywood. Real shit.

And Chiwetel Elijifor and Aldis Hodge are my picks.

No truer words. A kabuto movie with DoFP budget? You havent seen high speed movement.

Village

Eh I don't know. I mean, the lasso is always there, but like I said, it doesn't register. If it did and was truly as repellent as you claim, we'd have a lot less clamoring for a Wonder Woman movie than we currently do.
I would argue that their are people arguing for the concept of a WW or a super hero movie headlining a woman, than actually wonder woman.

And a lot of the stuff I hear in regards to a WW movie is " she needs to be changed this outfit needs to go, where are the pants or she's dumb " stuff like that.

I like wonderwoman, I think a lot of people think WW really weird and dumb, I think a lot of people think most DC shit that isn't batman is weird and dumb. I think that its an issue DC needs to rectify,

Well if we're going that honest, the conversation is really like

"What do you think of Captain Marvel?"
"Who?"

:p
True, but much like every other marvel property recently

Give it a move poof

House hold name

ReiGun

I would argue that their are people arguing for the concept of a WW or a super hero movie headlining a woman, than actually wonder woman.

And a lot of the stuff I hear in regards to a WW movie is " she needs to be changed this outfit needs to go, where are the pants or she's dumb " stuff like that.

I like wonderwoman, I think a lot of people think WW really weird and dumb, I think a lot of people think most DC shit that isn't batman is weird and dumb. I think that its an issue DC needs to rectify,
Fair enough. I just don't think the BDSM as big a deal or as relevant to the character as you claim. I base this on the mountain of stuff I've read and seen with her in it. I've actively tried to look for it even, and I really have seen it in anything as strongly as Marston's original stories. Most writers flat out refuse to touch that stuff beyond maybe a joke.

I hear that stuff too and I agree DC has to address. I just don't think the path to addressing it is to start fucking around with every character who isn't Batman. They've already demonstrated they aren't good with that nowadays multiple times.

True, but much like every other marvel property recently

Give it a move poof

House hold name
That goes for any character. Will likely be the same case for Wonder Woman; she gets a good movie and people will stop thinking she's dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom