• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Fex

How successful was Spawn? It's the only other superhero movie I can think of that isn't Blade in the 90's and serious not meteor man or blank man.

And Michael Jai White is awesome.

Also pewdiepie. Just no.

Silky

Banned
As long as it don't show black people in a negative light, people should be allowed to put black make-up on
yeshrug.png

You really think that image isn't showing black people in a negative light

dude on facebook posted Michael Brown Autopsy (+commentary from some conservative blog) saying "Told y'all there was more to the story!"

earlier this year said Joel Ortiz released a top 5 album of 2014.

ain't shit.

Village

I hear that stuff too and I agree DC has to address. I just don't think the path to addressing it is to start fucking around with every character who isn't Batman. They've already demonstrated they aren't good with that nowadays multiple times.
It starts with having faith in the stupidity that is comic books, it also starts with getting people who can make competent super hero movies

That goes for any character. Will likely be the same case for Wonder Woman; she gets a good movie and people will stop thinking she's dumb.

the issue is I kind of only think DC has made 1 good super hero movie, TDN, everything else is just various levels of forgettable and bad, and I do not have faith that this will be any different.

Village

How successful was Spawn? It's the only other superhero movie I can think of that isn't Blade in the 90's and serious not meteor man or blank man.

Spawn is that thing that we as a society have decided to let stay in the 90's because upon further review its not very good, and most of the media around it. And MacFarlane is also kind of a shit.

" I totally own miracle man... totally "
* eyes dart around *

KumaJG

You really think that image isn't showing black people in a negative light

Yep. Only problem with the picture is they poking at fun @ domestic violence, which is not cool. If you mad this picture Ray Rice costume for any other reason beside it poking fun at domestic, then it a double standard because people been dressing up as white/black/etc for years.

This is what I call offensive.

B01Wx7sCcAAJ0C_.jpg:large

strobogo

Banned
As long as it don't show black people in a negative light, people should be allowed to put black make-up on
yeshrug.png

Yep. Only problem with the picture is they poking at fun @ domestic violence, which is not cool. If you mad this picture Ray Rice costume for any other reason beside it poking fun at domestic, then it a double standard because people been dressing up as white/black/etc for years.

ibfWj9VoShPWwX.gif

There is nothing appropriate about those costumes. From the parents doing full body black face AND making fun of domestic abuse, to the kid with those awful hashtags. That whole family is a den of cunts.

Malyse

Ishi, come get your cub.

Oh FFS, literally seconds late.

Flesh out those two dozen albums with some names

Freddie Gibbs - Pinata
Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty
Run The Jewels - RTJ2
FlyLo - You're Dead
Lil Herb - Welcome To Fazoland
Isaiah Rashad - Cilvia Demo
Rick Ross - MasterMind
Step Brothers - Lord Steppington
YG - My Krazy Life
100s - Ivry
Cyhi The Prynce - Hystori
Vince Staples - Hell Can Wait
Vince Staples - Shyne Cold chain Vol 2
Ratking - So It Goes
Young Fathers - Dead
Goldlink - The God Complex
Antwon - Heavy Hearted In The Doldrums
Jeezy - Seen It All
Girl Talk/Freeway - Broken Ankles
Curren$y - More Saturday Night Car Tunes

Joell's album is really meh, dated rappity rap, I'd put Schoolboy, Kool AD and even Riff Raff, Kevin Gates and Future's album above it too. House Slippers isn't terrible it's just really average, it's better than all Slaughterhouse projects thus far tho, there's that.

I have no doubt that Krit's release will be better too, and there's bound to be another out of nowhere release before 2015.

ReiGun

It starts with having faith in the stupidity that is comic books, it also starts with getting people who can make competent super hero movies

the issue is I kind of only think DC has made 1 good super hero movie, TDN, everything else is just various levels of forgettable and bad, and I do not have faith that this will be any different.

You'd find few who agree with that, but that's wholly subjective so hey. And "people who can make competent super hero movies" isn't really something you can find out until the person in question has...made a superhero movie.

Malyse

You'd find few who agree with that, but that's wholly subjective so hey. And "people who can make competent super hero movies" isn't really something you can find out until the person in question has...made a superhero movie.

I'm more concerned with the fact that Zack "looks great less filling" Snyder is going to be the one to introduce the majority of the characters in DCCU. I'm cool with Wonder Woman, but I'm not sure if I want the director of Sucker Punch to give her to me. I can't think of a film he's made that I really actually liked without reservations.

Village

Oh I know. I strongly believe out of their recent attempts, they have made one.

Now while people who make competent super hero movies can't measured, they have yet to find this in a manner consistent enough for me to have any hope of their future projects of any good

That doesn't matter

Its one of those anime, with the 1000 year old kids.

strobogo

Banned
DC hasn't made a good movie since 2008. Before that, 2005. Before that, 1989. Before THAT, 1980. 4 good super hero movies over 34 years is a pretty shitty track record to me.

Riff Raff bruh? It's clear we're coming from different sides of the train track if you're serious with that.

Riff Raff album is the weakest (imo) of the 25 albums I mentioned, especially if you're looking for lyrical miracle type thing.

That's still 24 other albums and there should be another few good projects before the end of the year.

edit: I have no idea how House Slippers ends up in anyone's Top 5 of the year. Still haven't gotten around to Black Milk or DJ Quik's latest.

strobogo

Banned
Oh are we saying The Dark Knight Rises is a bad movie now?

I'm saying it is not good. It has some moments, but is mostly boring as shit and REALLY boring as shit on a rewatch. Big plot holes, character inconsistencies, clunky story. It's okay. It's not good. It's not awful. It's just okay.

strobogo

Banned
I did too. Never really got what people's beef with it was.

My beef with it is that, like all Snyder movies, it looks great, but is emotionally flat with even flatter and boring acting. Dude should just direct video games where he can make the entire experience one giant set piece and not have to worry about story or acting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom