• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Me.

I got diplomatic immunity

I've passed through unscathed.

I got that elder statesman shit going on.

happy.jpg

dont worry, you'll slip and your time will come.

I've only been given shit because Peter Parker sucks, so that's not really my fault.

thats a major L to shoulder sunny

Crocodile

My parents opened up a new Haitian/West African restaurant in Lower East Manhattan. Would posting reviews or trying to hype it up at all on GAF break self-promotion rules? Do any y'all live in NYC? I've also got some friends working on some Kickstarter projects as well. Would talking about those be no-bueno?

Re: Character Assassination

I work in a bakery, and we have a back bakery and a front which is sort of like a restaurant. I finished my shift and told the lady that was closing that night that I was done, as as I couldn't find a manager(There's always two or three) that for her to tell one of them what time I had left. She agreed. This is our system in place since I started. We do it on a manual punch in, punch out method. So as I was leaving work, the manager for the back of the bakery came running after me and yelling very loudly said *Hey! Where do you think you're going*. I was honestly surprised and actually looked around for a second, thinking he meant to yell at someone else. Now a small crowd of employees had gathered outside at this commotion and were staring. I said *I'm done, didn't the other lady tell you or the other manager*. He then just snapped and said *But I'm your manager, not anyone else!*. I was amazed at the stupidity of his comment and just frowned as people kept staring, I didn't want to make a scene and I knew what he was fishing for. So I just apologized and asked if I could go. He sneered and said I could and so I left.

Today I came into work and decided that I would talk to him about that nonsense, and to clear the air. Unbeknownst to me, this guy had gone and gotten the district manager to come in, someone that I've known for a few years now. And paraded me in front of him. I asked what the problem was, and the idiot said that I never talked to him, that when he said Hi to me, all I said was Hi back, then when he was leaving and said bye, all I would say was bye back. And that therefore, I have a attitude problem and that I did not respect him. That I joked with the front managers and other employees, but not him.

At this point I cut him off and firmly told him that I didn't joke with him, because hes my manager, as he had so beautifully put it the other night. And that secondly, I joke around with the others, because they're not the ones constantly evaluating me! He had nothing to say at this, but then brought it back to my attitude and said that I don't smile enough and that I intimidate people.

So I wont go into specifics, but I'll just say that I have no problems with anyone at work, have been voted(lol) and won more awards than anyone else in the history of the damned place. And have a stupid high wage for a college student because of so many raises and commendations. So I got pissed off at this character assassination bullshit and told him pretty much that. The district manager then cut in and said that my job performance wasn't the issue and that he agreed with me and the other managers, that I do a very good job. But that he had spoken to this doofus, and that the doofus had told him, that I was bringing people down and intimidating them by getting quiet when I worked(You know, to focus and get the job done) and that perhaps I should try and carry myself more cheerfully.

I don't get it. Not only is it finals time, not only do I have classes, family, personal bullshit. But now the one thing I do to relax, that I enjoy, baking, cooking. Has drama now too? The conversation went on with the doofus whining and eventually the DM getting him to apologize to me. But it felt so awkward and so forced. I never had a problem with this guy, he always pulls rank on people to get things done. Reiterating how he's "The manager", but even despite that. I let those people deal or not deal with that one their own. I literally avoided starting shit with him, I listened to what he said and did it. But because people come and talk to me instead of him since I've been there longer, he's gotten so damned jealous. As if it's a competition. And I'm pretty sure that the reason for his outburst, was that last week, someone purposefully lied about an allergy bun, substituting a regular flour one, I caught them doing so and did address the staff about it.(Not isolating the individual, but stating that we need to be careful and if we screw up, say that we did instead of killing people). This idiot wasn't around at the time, and when he heard about this, asked me why I had addressed them instead of coming to him. When he wasn't there...so I should have just let the customer eat it and die...Anyway, one of the guys who's been working there for years talked to me after today and said that the dude was an idiot and ti ignore it.

But I am having a really hard time ignoring this. I've been told ever since I was a kid to smile more, be happy and all this shit, and it took me a long time to unlearn how to you know, be me. Be more than one emotion. And so his stupid characterization of me really cut me deep to be honest. Now I'm doubting if people are sincere at work towards me and so forth. I'm especially wondering who it is that feels intimidated by me, because everyone says that I'm a friendly guy and like I said, lots of stupid awards.

How do I deal with this guys? It's really angered me and I know through others and his behaviour, that this clown is going to be shit-talking me for the next few days and bragging about how he "cut me down". The worst, worst thing he fucking said to me today though, in front of the DM! Was "You should know your place". When I asked him "Everything you say sounds personal, what am I doing wrong that's bothering you". He responded with "You should know your place". Maybe it's all the recent race talk and stuff, but I literally flexed my jaw when he said that. I never had a problem with this guy until today.

I work in a bakery, and we have a back bakery and a front which is sort of like a restaurant. I finished my shift and told the lady that was closing that night that I was done, as as I couldn't find a manager(There's always two or three) that for her to tell one of them what time I had left. She agreed. This is our system in place since I started. We do it on a manual punch in, punch out method. So as I was leaving work, the manager for the back of the bakery came running after me and yelling very loudly said *Hey! Where do you think you're going*. I was honestly surprised and actually looked around for a second, thinking he meant to yell at someone else. Now a small crowd of employees had gathered outside at this commotion and were staring. I said *I'm done, didn't the other lady tell you or the other manager*. He then just snapped and said *But I'm your manager, not anyone else!*. I was amazed at the stupidity of his comment and just frowned as people kept staring, I didn't want to make a scene and I knew what he was fishing for. So I just apologized and asked if I could go. He sneered and said I could and so I left.

Today I came into work and decided that I would talk to him about that nonsense, and to clear the air. Unbeknownst to me, this guy had gone and gotten the district manager to come in, someone that I've known for a few years now. And paraded me in front of him. I asked what the problem was, and the idiot said that I never talked to him, that when he said Hi to me, all I said was Hi back, then when he was leaving and said bye, all I would say was bye back. And that therefore, I have a attitude problem and that I did not respect him. That I joked with the front managers and other employees, but not him.

At this point I cut him off and firmly told him that I didn't joke with him, because hes my manager, as he had so beautifully put it the other night. And that secondly, I joke around with the others, because they're not the ones constantly evaluating me! He had nothing to say at this, but then brought it back to my attitude and said that I don't smile enough and that I intimidate people.

So I wont go into specifics, but I'll just say that I have no problems with anyone at work, have been voted(lol) and won more awards than anyone else in the history of the damned place. And have a stupid high wage for a college student because of so many raises and commendations. So I got pissed off at this character assassination bullshit and told him pretty much that. The district manager then cut in and said that my job performance wasn't the issue and that he agreed with me and the other managers, that I do a very good job. But that he had spoken to this doofus, and that the doofus had told him, that I was bringing people down and intimidating them by getting quiet when I worked(You know, to focus and get the job done) and that perhaps I should try and carry myself more cheerfully.

I don't get it. Not only is it finals time, not only do I have classes, family, personal bullshit. But now the one thing I do to relax, that I enjoy, baking, cooking. Has drama now too? The conversation went on with the doofus whining and eventually the DM getting him to apologize to me. But it felt so awkward and so forced. I never had a problem with this guy, he always pulls rank on people to get things done. Reiterating how he's "The manager", but even despite that. I let those people deal or not deal with that one their own. I literally avoided starting shit with him, I listened to what he said and did it. But because people come and talk to me instead of him since I've been there longer, he's gotten so damned jealous. As if it's a competition. And I'm pretty sure that the reason for his outburst, was that last week, someone purposefully lied about an allergy bun, substituting a regular flour one, I caught them doing so and did address the staff about it.(Not isolating the individual, but stating that we need to be careful and if we screw up, say that we did instead of killing people). This idiot wasn't around at the time, and when he heard about this, asked me why I had addressed them instead of coming to him. When he wasn't there...so I should have just let the customer eat it and die...Anyway, one of the guys who's been working there for years talked to me after today and said that the dude was an idiot and ti ignore it.

But I am having a really hard time ignoring this. I've been told ever since I was a kid to smile more, be happy and all this shit, and it took me a long time to unlearn how to you know, be me. Be more than one emotion. And so his stupid characterization of me really cut me deep to be honest. Now I'm doubting if people are sincere at work towards me and so forth. I'm especially wondering who it is that feels intimidated by me, because everyone says that I'm a friendly guy and like I said, lots of stupid awards.

How do I deal with this guys? It's really angered me and I know through others and his behaviour, that this clown is going to be shit-talking me for the next few days and bragging about how he "cut me down". The worst, worst thing he fucking said to me today though, in front of the DM! Was "You should know your place". When I asked him "Everything you say sounds personal, what am I doing wrong that's bothering you". He responded with "You should know your place". Maybe it's all the recent race talk and stuff, but I literally flexed my jaw when he said that. I never had a problem with this guy until today.

dehumanizing employee

hope you don't get shot bruh

dehumanizing employee

hope you don't get shot bruh

I'm so pissed off! Not only did he try to humiliate me in front of other employees, instead of pulling me aside that night or today and saying that what I did bothered him. But he then went on to tell me that I had an attitude problem and should know my place. Who the fuck talks to another person like that. It's like I committed a fucking crime or something.

Man my mom's landlord ain't shit. Pipes freezing and he just says to put a space heater under the sink. So instead of following that dipshit advice and causing a potential fire, I went online and bought a coil pipe warmer on Amazon. Installation in this small space is a pain in the ass though. This is why I won't go to Canada, the Midwest is cold enough.

Edit: in b4 Moris strolls in like "yo it's 68 degrees tomorrow I better get a jacket"

come down here to the florida panhandle and take all the humidity you want man. fucking 75 degrees in december. been waiting all year for it to get cold

who doesn't get clowned on in this community?

besada (the one old white dude in the community)

My parents opened up a new Haitian/West African restaurant in Lower East Manhattan. Would posting reviews or trying to hype it up at all on GAF break self-promotion rules? Do any y'all live in NYC? I've also got some friends working on some Kickstarter projects as well. Would talking about those be no-bueno?
Ask at least 1 mod before making a thread about it

I'm so pissed off! Not only did he try to humiliate me in front of other employees, instead of pulling me aside that night or today and saying that what I did bothered him. But he then went on to tell me that I had an attitude problem and should know my place. Who the fuck talks to another person like that. It's like I committed a fucking crime or something.

*chews toothpick, adjusts straw hat and leans foward*

and did you learn your place......boy?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
You'll have to hit up a mod about whether or not you can make a thread but I don't see the harm in posting about it.

No griot, no buy.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Can we get some basic quality check on The Flash please?

AgonizingReflectingAfricanclawedfrog.gif

I was annoyed because they went so far as to use Rainbow Raider but didn't have his powers relate to any color but red and making people angry. So why are the characters calling him Rainbow Raider and Prism?

Also he was defeated off screen during a commercial break.

Crocodile

I wasn't going to make a thread about it but I figured a restaurant of that nature would be of especial interest to this thread and I considered posting about it in community threads I frequent.

No griot, no buy.

Well you're in luck :)

I've said something similar before but I'll say it again - it's both surreal and refreshing to meet someone else in the world I'm not related to who is familiar with things like griot :)

akira28

he looks like a kid trying to fake a beard with a glue stick and some instant coffee.

dude has the nerve to look like an actual baby under all that dryer lint.

I was in that position and I left the job and went to something better. I dont know your financial situation but that is some bullshit. There is always that one cat that you have to deal with at any job. And I know the rest of the family can feel me on that. The best advice I can give is to dont give in to the temptation to get in this dudes ass. You need to make your paper and knowing that this cat is going to continue to push it and make it personal is a problem. Its easier said then done, but ignore the fuckstick. Keep your shit squeeky and bide your time. Eventually you will either a) find something better, b) get some dirt on the fucker and catch him slipping or c) he will need you. The attitude will change, its just gonna be time before it happens. So my question is can you hold it down until your next opportunity arrives?

DominoKid

these #DieIn #ICantBreathe protests in NYC and elsewhere are something

B4DvLCJCUAEf7Lo.jpg

Chicago
B4DuyLmCEAAIzNi.jpg

Dallas
B4D6yihCEAEw8mH.jpg

Richmond/VCU (looks like this one was last night)
B3-xgGeCMAED-BC.jpg
B3-xgnxCUAE0bd0.jpg

I was in that position and I left the job and went to something better. I dont know your financial situation but that is some bullshit. There is always that one cat that you have to deal with at any job. And I know the rest of the family can feel me on that. The best advice I can give is to dont give in to the temptation to get in this dudes ass. You need to make your paper and knowing that this cat is going to continue to push it and make it personal is a problem. Its easier said then done, but ignore the fuckstick. Keep your shit squeeky and bide your time. Eventually you will either a) find something better, b) get some dirt on the fucker and catch him slipping or c) he will need you. The attitude will change, its just gonna be time before it happens. So my question is can you hold it down until your next opportunity arrives?

I can find another job easily. But my problem is that I once quit a job because of someone before, and to this day I still regret doing that. So I have no inclination really right now to quit and let him "win". I've been thinking about quitting the last couple months for sure, because I want a "nicer" job than baking. But this guy is trash and the thought of him proclaiming that he drove me out annoys me to no end. He has made a ton of mistakes, and I've never called him out on them. Even last week, he gave a customer the wrong bread for an order that they'd placed, and when I asked him about it as I read the ticket. He said "They won't notice". So I was appalled when he went in on me today over nothing like that even, but the most trivial things. It's downright pathetic. Did you honestly feel better after quitting your job? Didn't you like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom