• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

jWILL253

Banned
Let's be real, though.

All these games are hack and smash action games where the focus is frantic gameplay, suggestive themes, and gore. Hell, GoW had a mandatory minigame where you had to fuck three concubines to move on.

Why the hell are we arguing about characterization? That's like expecting a story out of The Expendables...

Kratos is one of those dudes we claim as black right?

tumblr_lti7fsKpwH1qeogr5o1_250.gif

Obviously. Used to love yelling folks he was black, and them getting bent outta shape..lol. Too funny.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Hotsuma > Bayo > Samanosuke "Hell couldn't keep me" Akechi > Dante > Joe > Ryu > mostly everyone else not named Kratos> The dude from Bujingai > Kratos

Village

Why the hell are we arguing about characterization
? That's like expecting a story out of The Expendables...

Because characterization is important in these games, they are the selling point in a way.

If you don't like the characters and the world, you kind of stop playing. Thats one of the many reasons DmC is on peoples shit lists. DmC is a worst kind of not that good. That said its the characters and story that push it down for some people. Its why I play a bayonetta game like once, and maybe again with a friend and don't touch those games.

Characterization is very important. It markets your game and characters, characterization ,story, art and design. These are VERY important parts of game design and should not be down played.

jWILL253

Banned
You know which character is more badass than any of those characters though?

Paragon Shepard.
Got to have his cake, and eat it too
in his choice of one of three colors.

The worst Bungie Halo was better than that game.

ehhhhh

I'd say Reach and 2 tied for shit crown

2 has its moments and H2A attests to that but coming from CE the multiplayer was awful and while the Campaign definitely had one of the best stories in the franchise you can tell the dev cycle just killed a good amount of Bungie's enjoyment of the franchise. It desperately needed the HD treatment, too. Art style wasn't great even at launch, especially riding off of CE.

Destiny seems a lot more in line with what they were trying to do with a video game. Take that how you will.

G-Fex

Let's be real, though.

All these games are hack and smash action games where the focus is frantic gameplay, suggestive themes, and gore. Hell, GoW had a mandatory minigame where you had to fuck three concubines to move on.

Why the hell are we arguing about characterization? That's like expecting a story out of The Expendables...

Normally I give no fucks about game storylines. But GoW was all this heavily story driven. And Kratos is a despicable ass character really. He's been that way since 2.

Dead at bayo being a flop...

Yall got jokes tonight.

She's a top tier flop. And the rape shit they put into that game? SMH.

Hotsuma > Bayo > Samanosuke "Hell couldn't keep me" Akechi > Dante > Joe > Ryu > mostly everyone else not named Kratos> The dude from Bujingai > Kratos

I forgot, based Shinobi. Shinobi is pretty much tied with Ninja Gaiden for me. Shit is difficult but SO Satisfying to chain together strikes for a kill, even on BOSSES!

Sora > your fave

michaeljordanlaughing.gif

jWILL253

Banned
Wait, you want good characterization, but y'all stanning for KH characters? Only the actual Disney characters in those games haven't gone full potato yet.

Village

Whether things are good or bad, is subjective and in this circumstance rather irrelevant.

What I am saying that it is very important.

Normally I give no fucks about game storylines. But GoW was all this heavily story driven. And Kratos is a despicable ass character really. He's been that way since 2.

I remember when GOW2 first came out and reviewers were acting like it was Shakespeare or some shit.
Only the actual Disney characters in those games haven't gone full potato yet.

All the original characters (Sora, Xehanort, and their shitty friends) are owned by Disney, tho.

Trey

ehhhhh

I'd say Reach and 2 tied for shit crown

2 has its moments and H2A attests to that but coming from CE the multiplayer was awful and while the Campaign definitely had one of the best stories in the franchise you can tell the dec cycle just killed a good amount of Bungie's enjoyment of the franchise. It desperately needed the HD treatment, too. Art style wasn't great even at launch, especially riding off of CE.

Destiny seems a lot more in line with what they were trying to do with a video game. Take that how you will.

I think Halo 2 separates from Reach in the encounter design. Aside from sniper alley, Bungie put you in some dope scenarios.

I would ask JC to get in on this discussion but that nigga thinks Silent Cartographer and the Two Betrayals are better levels than Assault on the Control Room, so he can't be trusted.

Mortemis

Banned
I totally forgot about that psx thing, barely even knew much.

But SHIT, we getting Yakuza 5? Fuck everything else, I'm in there.

Malyse

Wait, you want good characterization, but y'all stanning for KH characters? Only the actual Disney characters in those games haven't gone full potato yet.
And it's a fucking delicious potato.
All he gotta do is hit the triangle button and he's stronger than Goku and Superman combined.
Yup. It's fucking hilarious thinking a child with a gatdamn oversized skeleton key owned Cloud, Sephiroth, Squall, Yuffie, Setzer, Seifer, Vivi...

strobogo

Banned
Kingdom Hearts is dumb as shit and would be 100% better if it was only Disney stuff. This makes sense to me, because Final Fantasy is a dumb as shit franchise.

Slayven

Kingdom Hearts is dumb as shit and would be 100% better if it was only Disney stuff. This makes sense to me, because Final Fantasy is a dumb as shit franchise.

Yeah teh final fantasy shit is unnecessary and bad. I could not roll my eyes hard enough at Cloud.

Malyse

Y'all acting like you somehow expect Nomura to not be excessive. That's like expecting a Hans Zimmer score to not be bombastic or a Rihanna photo shoot to not be sexy. Come on, mane.

Malyse

I mean, BBS was almost all Disney save Zack and 3D was just TWEWY characters. So...

hue hue hue

Village

Y'all acting like you somehow expect Nomura to not be excessive. That's like expecting a Hans Zimmer score to not be bombastic or a Rihanna photo shoot to not be sexy. Come on, mane.

While I have no real issue with people critcizing art I have always found this funny.

" man why is nomura so obsessive"

I think thats why people like, and people pay him to do it because they like it. Its almost as if they commissioned him to do that exacty that. I have no idea why you are surprised.

Yeah teh final fantasy shit is unnecessary and bad. I could not roll my eyes hard enough at Cloud.

No, people find it appealing so no.

Malyse

While I have no real issue with people critcizing art I have always found this funny.

" man why is nomura so obsessive"

I think thats why people like, and people pay him to do it because they like it. Its almost as if they commissioned him to do that exacty that. I have no idea why you are surprised.

No, people find it appealing so no.

I would murd– do things if ir meant I could have Nomura art of my characters.

————

Play a all you want, but none of y'all would fuck with that Batman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom