• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.
They just don't grab me like the 2d ones. Most of my fondest platform memories are of games like DKC 2, SMW, sonic, etc. I loved NSMB, but Galaxy, Sunshine, etc just never did it for me. I'd take a true port of Kaizo Mario over pretty much all the 3d ones.
This is me but 3D platformers in general. I never could get into banjo kazooie.

I just feel like these games are more about exploring the level than platforming, making hard jumps etc etc

Ah. I played a 3D mario before I even touched the 2D ones (first was 64), so they're basically my fond memories. Still love the older 2d mario games, SMW is one of my favorite platformers.

Gotcha. It does make a difference, my wife loves Tekken, hates SF for the same reason.

Ratchet is really the only one that stuck because in-between the crazy puzzles, I fire guns that behave like nothing else in gaming. Borderlands 2 has some of the most creative VR bullet spreads and patterns, though.

GoW2 has the best adventure and locales, but 3 has the best combat and boss fights. Poseidon alone still hasn't been matched in 4 years, although Ascensions final boss was close. Hate on Kratos all you want, but his games start where other games climax.

Outside the spectacle I don't see how GOW bossfights hold up much in general.

Morning, BCT. I see some are still coming at the Gawd showing no respect..

Cinematic-Gifs-19.gif

Malyse

A. When I say Kingdom Hearts, generally I'm referring to the franchise as a whole. Or does every mention of God of War, Ninja Gaiden, ect only refer to the first entry?
B. KH1 has the Dark Riku fight, Sephiroth fight, and as of FM, Unknown fight.

----

I suggest ignoring that asshole.

Kingdom Hearts has some amazing boss fights and fantastic combat.

Yea some of them are really :Whew: tier.

Not having that much difficulty playing Critical Mode yet.. you don't really feel it until you get one shotted by a random heartless tho

Also Square, PLEASE DONT BRING BACK THE GUMMI SHIT IN KH3

Hell I'm just on proud mode in KH2FM and getting killed by random heartless/nobodies is just like shit....

Still not as bad as that final room in KH1 before you fight Ansem. Not that its bad its just a lot of hard heartless in waves in one section where you can't die and if you do, you have to start all the way back over.

Speaking of bad checkpoint that roxas fight is badly placed.

Malyse

Yea some of them are really :Whew: tier.

Not having that much difficulty playing Critical Mode yet.. you don't really feel it until you get one shotted by a random heartless tho

Also Square, PLEASE DONT BRING BACK THE GUMMI SHIT IN KH3

Wait till you meet Data Roxas and the Armored Knight.

I think the Armor battle took me a good forty tries before I won. It took ten tries to even figure out what was happening.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
I have to wonder how old people who got upset at the Street Fighter V thing must be. And what their blood pressure is like. You won't see them getting annoyed over the things that actually matter. But then, that is GAFs MO really.

Sidenote, i also have to assume those of you shitting on Kingdom hearts are trolling, at least from my standpoint. Cos if not....welp.

That game series has cemented itself in the history of videogames as pivotal and iconic. It doesn't matter what comes after it. That is as major a pulse point as CoD 4 was to console shooters.

RP912

Banned
Can somebody explain to me why Kingdom Hearts is the shit? My brother used to harp over the game and I always end up like meh :/.

Malyse

Always starin shit..

So let’s set the world on fire
We can burn brighter than the sun

Can somebody explain to me why Kingdom Hearts is the shit? My brother used to harp over the game and I always end up like meh :/.

In a word: Fun.
It take a lot of Disney magic and fuses it with the best action rpg combat system around. Plus the music is some of the best in gaming and the story beats, while complex, do have some frankly emotive moments. For one, Goofy in KH2 was a jawdropper. Plus there's a core of real emotions that's easy to relate to under all the craziness (like doing the wrong thing for the right reasons and worry about if the path you choose was the right one) and the protagonist is a
apparently divisive
change from typical JRPG broodiness.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing

It was a major confluence of:

Memorable characters (especially the Disney ones being seen in a light people weren't used to)

Beautiful environments for its time

A near perfect soundtrack

Tight, fun game mechanics that were a right balance between complex systems (for the hardcore) and simple enough to keep casual players engaged. Dat battle system!

RP912

Banned
In a word: Fun.
It take a lot of Disney magic and fuses it with the best action rpg combat system around. Plus the music is some of the best in gaming and the story beats, while complex, do have some frankly emotive moments. For one, Goofy in KH2 was a jawdropper. Plus there's a core of real emotions that's easy to relate to under all the craziness (like doing the wrong thing for the right reasons and worry about if the path you choose was the right one) and the protagonist is a
apparently divisive
change from typical JRPG broodiness.

It was a major confluence of:

Memorable characters (especially the Disney ones being seen in a light people weren't used to)

Beautiful environments for its time

A near perfect soundtrack

Tight, fun game mechanics that were a right balance between complex systems (for the hardcore) and simple enough to keep casual players engaged. Dat battle system!

hmmm sounds like selling points. If they have a Fantasia reference in the game then I'll probably give it a go eventually...

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I have to wonder how old people who got upset at the Street Fighter V thing must be. And what their blood pressure is like. You won't see them getting annoyed over the things that actually matter. But then, that is GAFs MO really.

I get what your saying especially when comes to real life shit but this is primarily a gaming site so some bitching about games and the industry probably should be expected. Or did I misunderstand you?

Malyse

I get what your saying especially when comes to real life shit but this is primarily a gaming site so some bitching about games and the industry probably should be expected. Or did I misunderstand you?
My issue is I see a lot of those same motherfuckers in the race related threads all "calm down" and "it's not that big a deal" and "this isn't a race thing" if not crowing about the failures of the justice system.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing

No misunderstanding. I'm just equating the number of posts and thread pages that get dedicated to things that don't really matter if some critical thought was applied, vs topics like minority representation in games that usually fizzle out by page 10 because of deliberate deflection and derailing tactics.

Village

Well crafted fanservice that has its own narrative, and interesting original aesthetic weaved into the middle of it inspired by Disney cartoony-ness and the intricate fantastical nature of final fantasy design. And appealing characters that for some reason bring a myriad of suckers people to be interested in its narrative.

Also does the thing where your favorite character is probably a cool guy.

Like riku, that's cool, watch him make the plot happen.
Like aqua watch her be mystified into greatest thing ever
Like mickey, he's a badass
Like donald , he's a funny hardass
Like goofy, he's just a cool ass dude.
Like sora, he might he's kind of the protagonist, everyone one gets time under the sun.
Except kiri, maybe in 3 though.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
i play a lot of games

but i cannot fuck with KH at all

something about it just never clicked with me

Slayven

Companies are not my friends, they don't owe me shit nor do I have to buy their shit. Can they do shit that is disapoiunting, yeah. But is it life effecting like some mofos make it out to be? hell no.

jWILL253

Banned
I think too often in this thread, we laugh at legit concerns on Gaming Side because of the the hyperbole.

Nobody likes a moneyhat. Especially one where a bullshit excuse is made up like "This game wouldn't have been funded if it weren't for _____," especially in Capcom and SE's case. One company will whore out its franchises until it is a complete non-seller, and the other burns money on proprietary graphics engines without a thought. Both games in question are top, good selling franchises. They would've been made regardless.

Also, let's just kill this thought that you can't be concerned about bullshit in the gaming industry compared to real life. I've said it before, these are $60 games on $400+ dollar devices. How you gonna get mad at people for complaining that their expensive purchases don't work; or that a previously multiplatform title that some people played on their platform of choice, and got invested in as a fan, is now an exclusive to a single console that they don't own; or that they have to be treated like a pirate even though they purchased the game legally, while pirates get to play without the bullshit?

Hell, I'll never forget what Esco said about selling games like cigarettes. If that is the mindset the industry has about its products, then no wonder people get upset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom