• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm. I'll say this: the wigs in that Whitney movie are on point, but the guy playing Bobby does not look in any way shape or form like him. But that's okay, Yaya seems to be doing the work.

B4RvWR7IcAAnV4s.jpg

They don't. Poseidon wasn't even the best boss in that game. lol He looked the coolest, but that's about it.

Opinions, etc. Kronos was probably the most fun, but Poseidon is my favorite.

He's goddamn right.

Not really, but there's lots who think like this, more power to them.
You need both, otherwise you miss too much.

i remeber saying they couldn do something with SF because capcom dind't want to spend money after shitty sells.

Just follow his tweets over the past few months. You could see something brewing.

royalan

Hmm. I'll say this: the wigs in that Whitney movie are on point, but the guy playing Bobby does not look in any way shape or form like him. But that's okay, Yaya seems to be doing the work.
When I watched the trailer I had to wonder if Bobby invested in the movie or something.

cuz y'all know Bobby was never that fine. Got a model playing him. Lol

Slayven

When I watched the trailer I had to wonder if Bobby invested in the movie or something.

cuz y'all know Bobby was never that fine. Got a model playing him. Lol

Is Wendy Williams involved?

Slayven

Puppeteer is the worse game I played in a long time. Over produced, all style and no substance. Should have just been a flash cartoon.

PC gaming is where it's at but be real.

A lot of gamers can't afford to build a legit gaming rig. Even a mid level rig that outperforms current gen consoles is gonna be pricer than a gaming console with the added liability of having to build it and troubleshoot it.

Slayven

A lot of gamers can't afford to build a legit gaming rig. Even a mid level rig that outperforms current gen consoles is gonna be pricer than a gaming console with the added liability of having to build it and troubleshoot it.

Plus the upkeep, a new card every 18 months to 2 years.

RedSwirl

That's true, but posts like the one in that SFV thread fail to realize it. They gotta find some other reason to justify their choice. That's why people cheer on exclusives. They're stuck in the days when consoles were unique pieces of architecture with everything specialized. Today it's becoming more apparent what consoles are and always were -- computers that run software. Some are just more expensive/more powerful than others, and console fanboys can't accept that.

I got to know what vibes that you as a sonic fan, can get scared off by.
Furries. They rank near the top of my weird-shit-o-meter. I knew this dude who was a friend of a friend who would actually wear a tail and ears when he hung out with us. Dude was a brony too, I later found out, which didn't shock me after knowing his..."personality."

KumaJG

Furries. They rank near the top of my weird-shit-o-meter. I knew this dude who was a friend of a friend who would actually wear a tail and ears when he hung out with us. Dude was a brony too, I later found out, which didn't shock me after knowing his..."personality."

Furries? Bruh lool I don't know why I am dying over here

Slayven

What was her "Fursona"? Please tell me you know.

royalan

Plus the upkeep, a new card every 18 months to 2 years.

Well, you don't really NEED that, unless you're one of those gamers who needs to have the NEWEST AND GREATEST NOW NOW NOW!!! In which case, you're part of the problem when it comes to PC gaming's perception among the general public.

In reality, build a rig, start off with a good card, and in most cases it should last you through a gen's worth of games as long as you're not concerned with it being considered an "old card" after a few years. I've been thinking of doing just this, but I don't have the time to figure out how to build a PC, and everyone I know who could do it for me lives back home in Cali. :(

RedSwirl

I guess I finally gotta ask: who the fuck are Iggy Azela and Macklemore?

Maybe I'm just way too out of music culture or whatever since I stopped listening to rap with lyrics in it. I've caught a lot of conversation about the cultural appropriation of rap on the part of these people and how they swept music awards, and I don't even know where they came from.

Slayven

I'll give her one of the free codes I find sometimes.
Won't be doing that shit no more, Redbox is struggling.

Well, you don't really NEED that, unless you're one of those gamers who needs to have the NEWEST AND GREATEST NOW NOW NOW!!! In which case, you're part of the problem when it comes to PC gaming's perception among the general public.

In reality, build a rig, start off with a good card, and in most cases it should last you through a gen's worth of games as long as you're not concerned with it being considered an "old card" after a few years. I've been thinking of doing just this, but I don't have the time to figure out how to build a PC, and everyone I know who could do it for me lives back home in Cali. :(

I am just pissed that Capcom didn't seem to optimize Dead Rising 3 for PC, my video card is just one level below the minimum for Dead Rising 3

I think too often in this thread, we laugh at legit concerns on Gaming Side because of the the hyperbole.

Nobody likes a moneyhat. Especially one where a bullshit excuse is made up like "This game wouldn't have been funded if it weren't for _____," especially in Capcom and SE's case. One company will whore out its franchises until it is a complete non-seller, and the other burns money on proprietary graphics engines without a thought. Both games in question are top, good selling franchises. They would've been made regardless.

Again, like this? A full release, not a free-to-play shot? Probably not.

No one does really. Don't see why people don't see that. The way ono was talking though niggas don't wanna believe that SFV needed some help.

For nearly two years, Ono has had to hem and haw about how Capcom doesn't offer him the budget to make all the stuff SF fans want happen.

“Personally, I don’t want to stop Street Fighter’s main numbered series at IV,” says Ono. “Realistically speaking, developing a title for next-gen consoles requires a huge amount of staff members, and a large sum of money. The issue of money also applies to everyone else, as it’ll be required to invest in a new console, game, and arcade stick.”

“If you look at fighting games as a competitive sport, one might say the more players, the better. Going F2P lowers the hurdle of needing money to start, which I believe is one the ideal parts about it,” Ono expresses.

“On the other hand, knowing whether a company can guarantee [recovering] the development cost is something to which I don’t currently see an answer. So, I’d like to think about it a little more after seeing how well Harada (Tekken series producer) and Hayashi (Dead or Alive series producer) handle it.”

He continues, “When thinking about games as a product, it boils down to how much the company intends to spend in order to make it, and how much the players will likely spend on it, and the balance between the two is very important. For example, back in Street Fighter II, one play was 100, 200 yen, which was enough to cover the development cost; however, those costs are now much higher than what players would imagine. At the moment, I don’t have a clear vision of how we can balance the two.”

“For Fighting games, we’re always thinking about finding ‘something’ which can be acquired by paying money,” he continues. “If can find that, I believe things would go smoothly. One of our trials was the ‘Gems’ of Street Fighter X Tekken.”

He admitted they couldn't even get the budget to update Street Fighter x Tekken. Ono could barely get fucking Street Fighter IV off the ground.

"When Third Strike came out R&D didn't really consider sales back then," Ono explains. "We weren't as marketing-orientated as we are today. We just wanted to make the best game and wanted to please our most hardcore fans. That's what drove us. Obviously, in terms of sales it didn't pay, so the company couldn't invest in a sequel with a decent rationale. Not only that, but we were adamant we had made the epitome of the fighting game with Third Strike. So from the company's point of view, if the team is stating that it cannot do any better combined with a lack of sales, it's a complete story and it's time to move on."

It was this guilty conscience that inspired Ono to write a design document for a fourth entry to the Street Fighter series immediately after he was promoted to producer. "I was working on Onimusha 4 and during that time I repeatedly submitted my proposal for a new Street Fighter," he says. "The company kept telling me: 'It's a dead franchise. It doesn't make any money. We have series that make money like Resident Evil and Onimusha. Why bother with a dead franchise?'"

"Eventually I was given a small budget to create a prototype. That wasn't really down to me pestering my superiors so much as all of the journalists and fans started making a lot of noise and pressuring Capcom. This was a strategic plot on my part. I had been asking all the journalists to make noise about the series when out and about. I would always tell them that it was their responsibility to tell Capcom, not me as I don't have the power. Journalists and fans have the power to move Capcom - not producers. With so many voices crying out for a Street Fighter game Capcom could no longer ignore it any more and so they gave the green light for a prototype and they asked me to create it. It's a miracle that happened after a decade..."

Seriously, if you look at years of interviews, Ono has always presented Street Fighter as the extra arm of the company. Capcom acknowledges that it's there and it has a long history, but it doesn't make them Resident Evil and Monster Hunter money, so it doesn't get much in the way of resources. You know what else got treated like that? Mega Man.

Sony gives Capcom an out, they can make Street Fighter, but they don't have to pay for the entire thing. So Capcom takes it.

You can lament the exclusivity, but don't present it like Street Fighter is this wonderful, well-oiled machine chugging along at Capcom or that Capcom hates fans. Shit is just business.

And Esco's problem is that people will rage at this for pages upon pages, but threads about issues like minority and female representation in games gets swept up and derailed.

I guess I finally gotta ask: who the fuck are Iggy Azela and Macklemore?

Maybe I'm just way too out of music culture or whatever since I stopped listening to rap with lyrics in it. I've caught a lot of conversation about the cultural appropriation of rap on the part of these people and how they swept music awards, and I don't even know where they came from.

Average rappers who have experienced a great deal of success, including a Grammy in Macklemore's case. People believe that they've received this undue extra success because they are white. "Cultural appropriation" as an idea tends to pop up more when the group doing the appropriating experiences far more success than the originating group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom