• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.
we get the point damn

KBI8whf.png
Y'all ain't listen tho

DominoKid

No! It wouldn't!

Well, I guess if you approached a person who wasn't at all into that it would get your ass beat...but that same person likely wouldn't take too kindly to "can I get to know you in the biblical sense?" It means the same thing, only the latter is corny, out-of-touch, and a little creepy (no offense).

Let me tell you where you dudes (and ladies) be fuckin up when you're trying to get a quick somethin-somethin: you try to remove all traces of sexuality from what you're wanting to be a sexual conversation. That's just weird in this day and age.

If you're in a social situation, and there's liqour going around, and you know its a bunch of singles, there's nothing wrong with being direct and obvious about your intentions (without saying shit like "biblical sense"). Of course, you have to be completely confident when you do it, and know when to read signs to back off.

Let me give you a quick example. Out at the club a few months ago. Was making eyes with a FOINE ass dude from across the bar. At some point, when I stopped paying attention , he comes around the bar and stands next to me. When I notice him, without even missing a beat he just goes, "So, you know I'mma be beatin that up by the end of the night right?" Said that shit with all the confidence in the world. Like he and I had known each other for years and it was just a done deal.

And that shit was SO FUCKING HOT! The confidence completely sold it.

I responded with something like, "Ch...you gon be beatin whatup? This here?"

What came next was about 2 and a half hours of very obvious flirting, followed by...yeah, him beatin it up.

Wham bam.

But all this beating around the bush, and overly coded language and corny shit...ain't nobody got time for that.

somehow i cant imagine that not ending up w/ a drink thrown in my face if i tried a line like that on a chick

royalan

somehow i cant imagine that not ending up w/ a drink thrown in my face if i tried a line like that on a chick

I'm not saying that that COULDN'T happen (and I also doubt that dude would have been so confident stepping up to me if we hadn't already been making eyes at each other). The point is the confidence and the directness. People are honestly surprised by how far just being direct can get you these days. People ain't got time for the bullshit. If you're gonna step up, then step up and say what you mean, mean what you say, and don't be fucking corny.

royalan

Remember to be good looking first. This doesn't work for ugly people.

YES IT DOES!!!

Half the time the ugly is in YOUR head and speaks to YOUR CONFIDENCE and self-esteem level. And guess what? Most people don't find low self-esteem attractive.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
I've only ever been that direct once, and it worked. I was also much younger. Usually i just psych myself out at the possible reaction i'd get from a chick, especially if she's with friends.

I've only ever been that direct once, and it worked. I was also much younger. Usually i just psych myself out at the possible reaction i'd get from a chick, especially if she's with friends.

If they're with their friends, the gunshot to the self-esteem hurts that much more.

I actually don't know what counts as lounge music, but I'm gonna throw this out there.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=awFNbKzZHPs
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eB7j0RxJ1kU
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Pnzd0mB990s

Man your nerd level is mad high. Not only do you post on Gaf all god damn day but you link video game music too.

You need to go out in LA and see how many broke ugly shits got hot ass women.

YES IT DOES!!!

Half the time the ugly is in YOUR head and speaks to YOUR CONFIDENCE and self-esteem level. And guess what? Most people don't find low self-esteem attractive.

Yep. I have a buddy that is considered really good looking but he doesn't attract shit because dude has no confidence.

Malyse

I was somewhat direct once at this club on a military base. I straight told her she was the most beautiful girl I've ever seen and I would like to spend some time with her. Her friends literally pushed her into my arms.

Guys, I'm page 60 of a 120 page pre-production rewrite. It's due tomorrow at 4.

Fucking, DTLA why do you have to make me lose track of time?

jWILL253

Banned

I usually just say "Nope" at even attempting the interaction if ol girl's bestie gives me the Pam mean mug treatment while walking up to her.

---

Also, I'm mad that Viktor has managed to type 380 posts, and most of those were full of Stagga Lee-mixtape bars...

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Daps to whoever in here was recommending Turquoise Jeep a while back. Good stuff.
Be sure to stop by the Rec Room after classes for extracurriculars, including Sub's "My SO Is Black" Awareness Prevention!
In the neigh of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost...
You guys get creative on a Sunday night.
Also, I'm mad that Viktor has managed to type 380 posts, and most of those were full of Stagga Lee-mixtape bars...
I wouldn't be surprised if he drops a soundcloud link before the end of OT10.

DominoKid

i'd prefer not to. fucking smilez & southstar. wonder what they're doing now?

If they're with their friends, the gunshot to the self-esteem hurts that much more.

its like an emotional stab wound breh. not gonna like though working in sales has really cut down on how much of a fuck i give about rejection. doesn't mean it's really translating to success but i can at least not get trapped in my mind about it anymore.

YES IT DOES!!!

think i gotta side w/ J10 there for the most part.

FyreWulff

I am kinda glad i have no idea what homestuck is.

The only reason I know about Homestuck is that the creator of it started it over on the Penny Arcade Forums as a thread in their social chat forums. It was almost always being posted in.

And then one day I see it in my FB feed and go "what the fuck people are posting this? Did they post on PA and not tell me?" and then I find out it's like a whole damn thing now.

Good on the creator for making it something.

Guys, I'm page 60 of a 120 page pre-production rewrite. It's due tomorrow at 4.

Fucking, DTLA why do you have to make me lose track of time?

gosh damn, 120 pages. Whatcha doin on here?

I actually don't know what counts as lounge music, but I'm gonna throw this out there.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=awFNbKzZHPs
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eB7j0RxJ1kU
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Pnzd0mB990s
Interesting, I did not know there was a smash version of Save Hut.

Furyous

That song still goes. LOL, that's not Jin! Jin went to Taiwan had that good Justin Bieber run but fucked it up by having a kid in the states.

I've been watching Cassidy destroy Diz on repeat for a few hours. Cassidy got him 3-0 because Diz choked something fierce. Did he even prepare for this battle?

In any event, I'm waiting on my cable modem router. Is the Netgear N300 worth it or should I get another router?

The early 2000's had a prime Ludacris, young TI, and ringtone rappers.

That actually isn't Jin.

But speaking of... man. So much potential wasted. Ruff Ryders mishandled that particular situation.

You know, now that I think of it, the early 2000's had some pretty corny rap shit going on, lol...

don't you DARE besmirch the good name of early 2000s hip-hop and it's accompanying fashion.

I was rocking the 4xxxl long tees with the Iverson jersey, A5 shoes, and a majestic du-rag. I had Grindin blastin out of my portable CD player. Good times.

The only reason I know about Homestuck is that the creator of it started it over on the Penny Arcade Forums as a thread in their social chat forums. It was almost always being posted in.

And then one day I see it in my FB feed and go "what the fuck people are posting this? Did they post on PA and not tell me?" and then I find out it's like a whole damn thing now.

Good on the creator for making it something.

I think you're thinking of Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff, which was made by the same person and is referenced in homestuck.

I'm just going to post this here because I don't want anyone in real life to know. But I've been sincerely thinking about killing myself the last couple weeks, and reading that suicide thread in OT made me give pause(To how). I'm not sure about how I would go about it, but I'm not scared. I've thought about it in the past and talked to my parents, therapists, friends; and they all told me the usual. So it's nothing that I haven't heard before.

My plan is to honestly just give it 6 more months from January and see how it goes. I'm not sure how many of you know me or ever interacted with me on GAF when I was more active. But I've gone through a lot of silly things and have persisted. Because I always was told that things improved and that I just had to be more outgoing, be more in shape, be more rich, etc, etc. But despite all of those things, I have learned that if people like you, they will like you for you. That all my past jealousy about why X girl was with Y guy, was not about race, his car, his wallet or anything else. That she just liked him. That my struggles academically were because I wasn't focused, not because I was less intelligent. That my weight had to do with using food as coping with life, instead of actually being hungry.

And so I did a lot of self reflection and grew tremendously as a person in my life. Things did improve, true. But I'm still living the same empty life. And that's why I'm just so exhausted now with it all. Because it seems that I'm stuck in a continuous cycle of ups and downs regarding my dreams and aspirations. The things that I want, I never get. If it's for me, if it's school, work, working out, etc. It gets done and done very well. But if it's with other people, it's just constant failure. And I really beat myself up over it in the past, because I felt that it was my fault. That I didn't smile enough, talk enough, go out enough, etc. And even though I changed and forced my personality to change, the only times I ever felt wanted, was when I was acting. Be it "acting black" and having people laugh, "Acting cool" and attracting a girl...I just can't ever be me. Quite, calm, witty, giving...I just get called a pushover, weak, unmanly, soft...The other week my manager railed on me for something trivial and used it as leverage to attack me personally. He ended up looking like an idiot and our district manager telling him to apologize. But it really cut me deep though as I thought we had a good working relationship, then he just assaulted me on a personal level in front of other people. And he doesn't even know me outside of work. I'm so tired of people expecting me to live up to their stereotypes or expectations, then when I don't, they just walk away from me. I'm a human being!

The short of it is this. For the next 6 months, I will give it another push and just try my best to be me. But during this time, I'm going to work a lot more at my job and make a lot of money. I'm going to pay what little bills I have, sell my stuff and set aside a nice chunk of money for my family and for my parents. I owe them that much at least. As I said before, I'm not sure how I'll do it, but I think that giving myself this time, will clear that up. I don't know what's going on to be honest, but I'm just tired of this life. It's just not for me. I thought about joining the military, traveling, or giving my life to a certain cause. But all of those things are just me giving my life to something in order to live. It wouldn't be any different than now anyway. Frankly, I wish that I could give my "life" to someone that needs it, but that's impossible. I'm not sure why I said this, GAF has always been kind to me, I'm not looking to be talked out of it. As I said, I've heard it all before. But I dunno...I guess I just needed to talk.

Merc_

lol at people in the No Man's Sky thread getting mad about other folks not buying into the hype and actually wanting to see real gameplay.

I'm just going to post this here because I don't want anyone in real life to know. But I've been sincerely thinking about killing myself the last couple weeks, and reading that suicide thread in OT made me give pause(To how). I'm not sure about how I would go about it, but I'm not scared. I've thought about it in the past and talked to my parents, therapists, friends; and they all told me the usual. So it's nothing that I haven't heard before.

My plan is to honestly just give it 6 more months from January and see how it goes. I'm not sure how many of you know me or ever interacted with me on GAF when I was more active. But I've gone through a lot of silly things and have persisted. Because I always was told that things improved and that I just had to be more outgoing, be more in shape, be more rich, etc, etc. But despite all of those things, I have learned that if people like you, they will like you for you. That all my past jealousy about why X girl was with Y guy, was not about race, his car, his wallet or anything else. That she just liked him. That my struggles academically were because I wasn't focused, not because I was less intelligent. That my weight had to do with using food as coping with life, instead of actually being hungry.

And so I did a lot of self reflection and grew tremendously as a person in my life. Things did improve, true. But I'm still living the same empty life. And that's why I'm just so exhausted now with it all. Because it seems that I'm stuck in a continuous cycle of ups and downs regarding my dreams and aspirations. The things that I want, I never get. If it's for me, if it's school, work, working out, etc. It gets done and done very well. But if it's with other people, it's just constant failure. And I really beat myself up over it in the past, because I felt that it was my fault. That I didn't smile enough, talk enough, go out enough, etc. And even though I changed and forced my personality to change, the only times I ever felt wanted, was when I was acting. Be it "acting black" and having people laugh, "Acting cool" and attracting a girl...I just can't ever be me. Quite, calm, witty, giving...I just get called a pushover, weak, unmanly, soft...The other week my manager railed on me for something trivial and used it as leverage to attack me personally. He ended up looking like an idiot and our district manager telling him to apologize. But it really cut me deep though as I thought we had a good working relationship, then he just assaulted me on a personal level in front of other people. And he doesn't even know me outside of work. I'm so tired of people expecting me to live up to their stereotypes or expectations, then when I don't, they just walk away from me. I'm a human being!

The short of it is this. For the next 6 months, I will give it another push and just try my best to be me. But during this time, I'm going to work a lot more at my job and make a lot of money. I'm going to pay what little bills I have, sell my stuff and set aside a nice chunk of money for my family and for my parents. I owe them that much at least. As I said before, I'm not sure how I'll do it, but I think that giving myself this time, will clear that up. I don't know what's going on to be honest, but I'm just tired of this life. It's just not for me. I thought about joining the military, traveling, or giving my life to a certain cause. But all of those things are just me giving my life to something in order to live. It wouldn't be any different than now anyway. Frankly, I wish that I could give my "life" to someone that needs it, but that's impossible. I'm not sure why I said this, GAF has always been kind to me, I'm not looking to be talked out of it. As I said, I've heard it all before. But I dunno...I guess I just needed to talk.

So what are the goals of your "push" from January to June going to be? What are the specific goals and measurement for success? And what's your plan to reach each of these goals? And for context, how old are you?

(If this is about some chick, I'mma reach through the internet and punch you in the thigh.)

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I guess I just needed to talk.
Making the choice to keep going and get up another day is all anyone can do. Giving it another 6 months is a good idea. I remember seeing you post a lot about this kind of thing before and I'm not 100% sure anything anyone says here will solve your problem or make you feel better.

That being said I hear what you are saying and it's good to reach out when you feel like this. It's okay to be tired of life, it's okay to feel unfilled in your dreams and aspirations, it's okay to struggle in trying to find out who you are and to try and rise above faking wanting to be appreciated for the person you really are. These are paths that have been walked before and trials that have been overcome. Stick to your word and give yourself that six months. Find something worth living for along the way, even if it's just to see what happens next. You really never know what opportunities are coming your way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom