• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

Mr Steal your Girlfriend and Boyfriend Spiderman
tumblr_nasagfgdGR1rurl5co1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nasagfgdGR1rurl5co2_1280.jpg

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
he didn't go through much

His point about sakura in that interview was

" a lot of people didn't like her anyway and I wanted to make hinata the heroine at one point "

Which is apoint he mentioned before, he wanted to talk about the hyuga. But he was told to focus on the sasuke naruto dynamic.

I get all that but the fact is, it's over now. All these things are irrelevant and really unnecessary given his inconsistencies. He continues to talk about his characters and things he didn't get to do with his original ideas. Frankly, that's completely missing the point.

Who gives a damn about all that? Who cares if you couldn't do this or that with these characters? Even if so and so were the new main, how would that fix his story? The truth is, it wouldn't.

I would like to see someone ask him what the hell went wrong with his plot.

He isn't a crappy writer because he screwed over a character he never gave a damn about, or had to compromise for editors. Shit happens, it's understandable he had to make changes. He's a crappy writer because he can't connect the dots. Because he can't seem to understand that his characters and their derailment is a direct result of his failed story telling and plot. His constant blaming his editors or fans or whoever else for his failings is laughable and shows how ridiculous he is. No matter what happened, he cannot blame ANYONE for his plot falling apart, but himself.

But that's something he doesn't talk about.

So like, why does everyone care what comes out his mouth? It's like Capcom blaming people for the Megaman series. It's hilarious and definitely not worth the time of day.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Even acknowledging editors and popularity etc., what he said does come across an awful lot like deflecting. Readers with comprehension know he fucked up the character and ultimately that's his fault. Hopefully he learns from his mistakes and focuses on areas he can complete with some competency in the future. Or better yet, other writers learn from him and take Sakura as an ultimate example of what NOT to do.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Even acknowledging editors and popularity etc., what he said does come across an awful lot like deflecting. Readers with comprehension know he fucked up the character and ultimately that's his fault. Hopefully he learns from his mistakes and focuses on areas he can complete with some competency in the future. Or better yet, other writers learn from him and take Sakura as an ultimate example of what NOT to do.

Pretty much.

Korra writers were graceful enough to admit where they went wrong and I was very touched by their honesty and acceptance of their errors regarding the first two seasons. And it's no surprise they've done pretty great since.

Writers fuck up, but it's how you handle it that matters. And shifting blame is definitely not how to deal with it.

Doing final stuff

Gotta write a paper On Ghost in the Shell.

I am not joking
Papers like these are fun. I wrote a college paper comparing Dada to Hip-Hop. I quoted the entire hook of Wonton Soup by Lil B and got an A.

Confession:

Beenie Man is so homophobic it ain't even funny. As is a significant portion of...well, Jamaica.

But I love his music. :(

I feel so guilty listening to it.
I understand Girls Dem Sugar is my shit,

Since we on the topic of reggae...how many of yall are hip to UK Grime. I been on that kick for a minute now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw7K9lUfOIA
this is an example. Tempz be going the hell in...
Grime is my go-to closing shift at work/exercise music.

Village

You a sonic stan, your taste already suspect.

Why aren't you out?

I get all that but the fact is, it's over now. All these things are irrelevant and really unnecessary given his inconsistencies. He continues to talk about his characters and things he didn't get to do with his original ideas. Frankly, that's completely missing the point.

Who gives a damn about all that? Who cares if you couldn't do this or that with these characters? Even if so and so were the new main, how would that fix his story? The truth is, it wouldn't.

I would like to see someone ask him what the hell went wrong with his plot.

Maybe despite these flaws , he doesn't think much is wrong with the story and is proud of hi work. I don't think he's making a lot of excuses, rather " It wold have been cool if I could do thing, but I didn't so eh" And that's it.

Pretty much.

Korra writers were graceful enough to admit where they went wrong and I was very touched by their honesty and acceptance of their errors regarding the first two seasons. And it's no surprise they've done pretty great since.

Writers fuck up, but it's how you handle it that matters. And shifting blame is definitely not how to deal with it.

That requires thinking you are wrong.

Trey

Pretty much.

Mike and Bryan, the creators and writers of Korra, acknowledged they went wrong, sure. They also said they didn't write the finale of season 2 to make sense, just to do what looked and sounded cool. The deus ex machina introduced therein doesn't even make sense to them. They admitted they don't know what happened. Further, they retconned a significant plot point of the series (going back all the way AtLA), and then said it never worked the way the fans thought it did, despite it being explicitly said in the show to work the way the fans thought it did.

And while they got better since then, season 2 of Korra is the nadir of the entire franchise, so you can only go up from there. It was a low bar to hop over, and season 3 is successful not because it's expertly written, but because it's competently written, which is a fantastic improvement upon whatever nonsense occured in season 2. So I wouldn't be so quick to give them props for their grace.

All that being said, Mike and Bryan are not nearly as bad as kishimoto. Women have all of the agency in the current conflict in Korra, and their writing asspulls are nowhere near as prodigious and hilariously terrible as what occurred in Naruto.

Dude is truly in a class of his own in writing terrible characters and torpedoing the major theme of his main character.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Smh, okay then Village.

@Trey

It's more graceful than what Kishimoto is doing, was what I was more or less going for haha

Malyse

Pretty much.

Korra writers were graceful enough to admit where they went wrong and I was very touched by their honesty and acceptance of their errors regarding the first two seasons. And it's no surprise they've done pretty great since.*

*Ishi isn't watching season 4

----

The finest cigars are rolled on the thighs of sultry mulatto women.

This is perhaps the most beautiful and the most widespread of all the cigar myths. Despite the legend, cigar rolling was traditionally a man's work. Rolling a cigar to the proper degree of tightness requires very strong wrists, which few women have. In Cuba, rolling was always done by men, and the first woman roller to work at the La Africana factory only started at the end of the 18th century. But apart from this, rolling requires a firm, even surface, and the thighs of a shapely mulatto woman have a completely different configuration. The originator of this myth is thought to be Prosper Merimee. When he began writing Carmen, Merimee travelled to Spain to learn more about the Spanish and their way of life. Being a handsome and imposing man, Merimee began an affair with a young Spanish girl. At the time, in the 19th century, Spain was a deeply religious country, and severe punishments could be meted out for attachments out of wedlock, so the lovers were forced to hide their affections. Merimee rented a small flat for assignations with his ladylove, and they would arrive there at different times and depart at different times.

Extreme caution had to be shown, since the handsome Frenchman was the cynosure of all eyes. Merimee spent many hours in the tiny little room waiting for his inamorata to arrive and for an opportunity to leave after her departure. This would not have been a problem – the hours of waiting were well worth it for the time spent in amorous dalliance with the passionate Spanish girl – had Merimee not been an ardent smoker. He loved cigars and usually bought them every day. But spending so much time in the secret room, he was unable to supplement his stock. A solution to the problem was found by the resourceful Spanish girl. She bought tobacco leaves and, resting on the bed after their heated lovemaking, she would roll cigars for the tired Merimee on her thighs. This was a task at which she proved to be very talented – and the cigars were simply magnificent. Merimee would smoke a cigar that had just been rolled, and then be ready once more for the labours of love... This experience made such an impression on the writer that when he returned to Paris, he told all his friends about it. A few weeks later, it was the talk of the town that the finest cigars were those rolled on the beautiful bare thighs of sultry mulatto women. And it wasn't long before all reference to Merimee and his amorous adventures in Spain had been completely forgotten. But the myth remained.

Nevertheless, another practice at the cigar factories has only served to encourage this myth. One of the sections at the factory, called the despala, is the place where the main stem of the tobacco leaf is ripped out. At the base of the leaf, these stems can reach a thickness of several millimeters and under no circumstance may they be allowed to get into the cigar filler tobacco: the stem would prevent proper drawing and spoil the taste. As a rule it is women, called despalilladores, who work here. They straighten out the tobacco leaf on their knees and with one quick movement rip out the stem. Hence, perhaps, the myth that the cigars are rolled on the bare thighs of the women. But, sorry to say, they do not roll the cigars, but only tear out the stem. Nor do they do it on their bare thighs, since the tobacco leaves would absorb the sweat and do nothing to improve the aroma of the future cigar. The incident with Merimee must be considered an exception – a cigar, rolled on the thighs of the woman, he had just made love to, would for him have been an especially pleasant experience.

What a story.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
I can't keep up with Korra but my friends do and they speak of the improvements over the first two seasons but I'm not talking about my experience with the show (to clarify). I'm talking about them apologizing for screwing up and making improvements, compared to Kishimoto blaming everyone after his story has ended. It's all over so, what's the point of talking about all these things he would've done differently if it wasn't for so and so? It's crazy and pretty shitty to blame fans.

And yet he still doesn't grasp that he ruined his own starting plot. Can't even talk about it. But like Village says, maybe he doesn't see it as broken. Shame.

Edit: notice I didn't bring up Jk Rowling, Lawd. She still trolls fans haha but it's the same thing. The tale has ended.

RedSwirl

good lord these console warriors in that Eurogamer thread

You'd think somebody spit on these dudes family members instead of just saying "hey maybe don't preorder The Order"

I understand older console wars because back then you actually had unique libraries to compare. You can get into a discussion about the Sega Genesis's library versus the Super Nintendo's library. One console has Gunstar Heroes and Phantasy Star IV, the other has Chrono Trigger and Mega Man X. I get that.

What I don't get is the resolution/framerate discussions we're seeing today. Right now PS4 and Xbox One are basically like DirecTV and Comcast or something. The Order looks like one of those okay launch games people get just to have something to justify their console early on, except all the actual "next-gen" games are coming along about six months late.

All those cartoons don't even run anymore. She disappeared. I forgot about most of those roles.

I want a Wii Fit Trainer amiibo, but I heard Nintendo is discontinuing it so the price is going to blow up before I'd even have the money to get one at regular price.

Just about every young black actor from that time frame has dropped off the map with regards to TV and Movies.

Cree
Dawn Lews
Vanessa Williams
Kadeem
Tempestt

The whole crew.

Slayven

I understand older console wars because back then you actually had unique libraries to compare. You can get into a discussion about the Sega Genesis's library versus the Super Nintendo's library. One console has Gunstar Heroes and Phantasy Star IV, the other has Chrono Trigger and Mega Man X. I get that.

What I don't get is the resolution/framerate discussions we're seeing today. Right now PS4 and Xbox One are basically like DirecTV and Comcast or something. The Order looks like one of those okay launch games people get just to have something to justify their console early on, except all the actual "next-gen" games are coming along about six months late.

Genesis Tournament Fighter was a huge L.

Malyse

Not if you start boffing Megyn Kelly.
Valid. Plus she's halfway decent at times.
Also FF-XIII-3 is 15 bucks. Worth it?
Yes.
Just about every young black actor from that time frame has dropped off the map with regards to TV and Movies.

Cree
Dawn Lews
Vanessa Williams
Kadeem
Tempestt

The whole crew.
Assuming they ain't dead.

So many people used to be so excited for The Order. Now lol

I still don't understand what happened for the 360 turn

Ahaha. Bears don't understand geometry.

Onemic

LOL

Some of that music in some of the jamaican spots I went to had me confused like shit the first time I heard it. Like, dawg...should we be getting hype to this? lol. Dudes doing whatever 1 out of 8 million dances to their heart's content. I'm just in awe. Then the regular reggae comes on and I can join in.

Remember when everyone was dancing to this?

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
The 360 was intentional. I was making a joke about Xbox One.

Given the recent love for X1 and the sudden side eye for The Order... get it?
I'm making jokes that the game wasn't enough to save ps4

360 fit better because 1 sure didn't haha

Edit: why DD the only one to catch that tho

The 360 was intentional. I was making a joke about Xbox One.

Given the recent love for X1 and the sudden side eye for The Order... get it?
I'm making jokes that the game wasn't enough to save ps4

360 fit better because 1 sure didn't haha

Edit: why DD the only one to catch that tho

turn One degrees and walk away

So many people used to be so excited for The Order. Now lol

I still don't understand what happened for the 360 turn

That game is just divisive as hell.

At first people didn't like the fact it was going for the filmic look.

IGN plays it for the first time, didn't like the game play.

Months later, IGN plays it again, likes the game. People at PSX start raving.

Eurogamer now comes out with an article not liking the game. People start shitting on it again.

Onemic

That game is just divisive as hell.

At first people didn't like the fact it was going for the filmic look.

IGN plays it for the first time, didn't like the game play.

Months later, IGN plays it again, likes the game. People at PSX start raving.

Eurogamer now comes out with an article not liking the game. People start shitting on it again.

The games not gonna be good. I knew it the moment I laid eyes on it.

Another early prediction: the game will get an average of 75 or lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom