• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

I can't seem to find the precise day/date when I changed the name on my resume but I think it was around when that piece got published.

Gotta do what you gotta do, even Obama goes by Barry when need be.
After the interview you revealed your true face Mission Impossible style

"Nah nigga you done hired me now. I need Cinco De Mayo off."

harSon

Banned
Called HR of the place I interviewed at on Thursday and they offered me the Staff Accountant job.

smugbiden.png

"I only have one question, your resume has your name as 'white guy' but your application says 'mexican guy', which do you prefer?"

"I prefer 'mexican guy'"
youngsabu.png

And that's how you use the system against itself.

Good shit.

My name probably has my resume leap frogging stacks in HR. It's thoroughly white from top to bottom.

That look when I first walk into an interview never gets old.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Wait. People buy stuff for Twitch streamers?

Why?

Culture based around being lazy shut-ins gets people to do what sugar daddies have been doing IRL since time immemoriam. Just doesn't force them to put on pants first.

Trey

What's that indie game with the top down camera where you're the captain of a space ship? It came out last year and it's generally well regarded but I can't for the life of me remember the name.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What's that indie game with the top down camera where you're the captain of a space ship? It came out last year and it's generally well regarded but I can't for the life of me remember the name.

FTL, and it's basically the best thing

HEY LET'S OFFER YOU A BUNDLE OF TWO GAMES THAT COSTS THE SAME IF YOU WERE TO PURCHASE THE GAMES INDIVIDUALLY except we'll give you 200 potions.

ReiGun

Reading that Charles Barkley thread has made me realize how different my experience has been from a lot of black folk regarding intelligence. I got some of the "acting white" stuff too growing up, but never to the demoralizing degree that a lot of members say they've experienced. I didn't grow up rich either; inner city Baltimore born and raised by a single mother. Was never much of a social being either, so I couldn't use that to overcome whatever barriers are supposed to have existed between me and other lower class blacks. And yet, I found tons of support and people who admired my intellect from family, friends, teachers, etc.

It just brings me to this point where I'm wondering how much of the "crabs in the bucket" mentality is truth and how much is hyperbole. Because while I acknowledge that it does exist, I can't being myself to ignore all the brothers and sisters out there who do genuinely admire intelligence and want to see other blacks get educated and be successful.

Just feels like we're only telling one part of the story so that we can continue pushing the old respectability narrative.

Reading that Charles Barkley thread has made me realize how different my experience has been from a lot of black folk regarding intelligence. I got some of the "acting white" stuff too growing up, but never to the demoralizing degree that a lot of members say they've experienced. I didn't grow up rich either; inner city Baltimore born and raised by a single mother. Was never much of a social being either, so I couldn't use that to overcome whatever barriers are supposed to have existed between me and other lower class blacks. And yet, I found tons of support and people who admired my intellect from family, friends, teachers, etc.

It just brings me to this point where I'm wondering how much of the "crabs in the bucket" mentality is truth and how much is hyperbole. Because while I acknowledge that it does exist, I can't being myself to ignore all the brothers and sisters out there who do genuinely admire intelligence and want to see other blacks get educated and be successful.

Just feels like we're only telling one part of the story so that we can continue pushing the old respectability narrative.

I think the problem isn't as much whether black people acknowledge the bucket or not, but how eager other people are to deny that they've thrown their own crustaceans in the bucket too, not to mention the king crabs that have been in there from the founding of Bucketania.

Notice how many posters are just saying "he's right" with no elaboration. Someone who defended blackface Ray Rice costumes yesterday was in there calling a post addressing people agreeing with Barkley completely based on anecdotal evidence "white noise."

For our part, the bucket comes up every few pages lol

This is my opinion:

In context, Barkley was attempting to comment on what was happening to Russell Wilson, who was being singled out by his teammates for "acting white". And perhaps, he was attempting to defend Wilson. But Barkley can never say anything without filtering it through his own agenda, which in this case is the "pull up ya damn pants/we is our own worst enemy" agenda that is shared by Bill Cosby. Or by other people filtering his words through that agenda.

The black community is more diverse than anyone gives us credit. We are not a monolithic entity. I just think that people like Cosby and Barkley forget or don't realize that racism is still a problem for /all/ of us - cornball brothers, too.

Cumbaboy can act. Don't think Strange has such an iconic look that him being a bit weak in that regard matters.

I think it's a fine casting, though disappointing given Phoenix was originally mentioned. But few actors like him are going to sign up for that MCU, promo, multI-film life.

J10

Banned
I think Benjamin Cucumber is a bad choice for Dr. Strange, but to be fair as a black man I haven't seen him act in very many things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom