• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.
"WHEN IS THIS SHIT GOING TO END?"

You can just tell from the way people post that basic social interaction really takes its toll on them.
I know what they mean sometimes but seriously sometimes. I tend to get extremely exhausted when talking to people who are complete strangers. Now, I do perform better at interacting than many of the people posting in this forum, but still. Some of these people dont have any form of illness or problem like I do, they just fucking suck at interacting with others. Like seriously, how do they let them get to that point?

Also, to the lady who is preaching to my math class about Ebola being man made, you're fucking stupid.

KidJr

welcome brother, jerk chicken or chicken curry (uk/jamican remix) :p

Jerk, BBQ Jerk but Curry Goat>everything else

Welcome, fellow Londoner.

Thanks man!

I didnt think there was such a diverse community here, I mean GAF only has 147k members but its seems like the majority or a large percentage is active lol.

Question (neither are great films imo) but whats the better film:

Paid in Full or Belly, having a little debate with friends.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I know what they mean sometimes but seriously sometimes. I tend to get extremely exhausted when talking to people who are complete strangers. Now, I do perform better at interacting than many of the people posting in this forum, but still. Some of these people dont have any form of illness or problem like I do, they just fucking suck at interacting with others. Like seriously, how do they let them get to that point?

Also, to the lady who is preaching to my math class about Ebola being man made, you're fucking stupid.
I get exhausted with people too, but I don't blame society or retail policy encouraging donations. The complaints about a credit card terminal or cashier upsetting people to the point they don't know if they want to return to the store makes me wonder how they would deal with panhandlers or street hustlers in major cities, who can legitimately be ruthless and aggressive. Also, the less said about Ebola theories the better.

harSon

Banned
Xbone got a price cut
Sunset Overdrive is quality, as expected
I got $200, time to work my ass off to grab that last 150

Yeah, I think I'm going to sell my XB1 to my dad for cheap since he's been looking for one and cop the SO bundle.

Mumei

1725178.jpg

This has been a fascinating book. It is something of a rebuttal to parts of the Moynihan Report, which argued that slavery had destroyed the black family by creating a system where black fathers were historically absent (does this sound familiar yet?), which created a matrilineal system that wasn't capable of transmitting cultural values effectively. But what Gutman found was that slaves did in fact form family units, have long-lasting marriages, and maintain widespread kin networks, and that rather than being destroyed by dislocations caused by sale or death, these forced slaves to form larger kin networks which helped spread a slave culture across the entire South. It also talks about the practice of naming children after blood relatives, and how whites were ignorant of these patterns of family life because their racism prevented them from seeing it, their presumption that the family required legal expression in order to function, their presumption that slaves' failure to live up to stilted Victorian sexual morals (e.g. having children, followed by marriage, was common amongst slaves) indicated a disinterest in family life, their assumption that slaves were incapable of having a culture outside of that which was transmitted to them directly by their owners, and the fact that slaves often hid their internal life, and their institutions, from their owners.

It's pretty old (1970s), but it's still very powerful. One of the review quotes on the back calls it a "tribute," and that sounds about right. Strongly recommend it.

Kreed

"WHEN IS THIS SHIT GOING TO END?"

You can just tell from the way people post that basic social interaction really takes its toll on them.

He must really think these cashiers care that much about him and his money. Just say no thank you and keep it moving. They hear it most of the day.

KidJr

1725178.jpg

This has been a fascinating book. It is something of a rebuttal to parts of the Moynihan Report, which argued that slavery had destroyed the black family by creating a system where black fathers were historically absent (does this sound familiar yet?), which created a matrilineal system that wasn't capable of transmitting cultural values effectively. But what Gutman found was that slaves did in fact form family units, have long-lasting marriages, and maintain widespread kin networks, and that rather than being destroyed by dislocations caused by sale or death, these forced slaves to form larger kin networks which helped spread a slave culture across the entire South. It also talks about the practice of naming children after blood relatives, and how whites were ignorant of these patterns of family life because their racism prevented them from seeing it, their presumption that the family required legal expression in order to function, their presumption that slaves' failure to live up to stilted Victorian sexual morals (e.g. having children, followed by marriage, was common amongst slaves) indicated a disinterest in family life, their assumption that slaves were incapable of having a culture outside of that which was transmitted to them directly by their owners, and the fact that slaves often hid their internal life, and their institutions, from their owners.

It's pretty old (1970s), but it's still very powerful. One of the review quotes on the back calls it a "tribute," and that sounds about right. Strongly recommend it.

interesting thanks for tip

J10

Banned
Seeing tour busses full of white people rolling through my mostly brown neighborhood doesn't feel very good.

Silky

Banned
Well this is a great way to start the week. My stepdad went to jail. Over one of the more ridiculous reasons I've heard of.

Silky

Banned
What happened?

So a while back they got pulled over by the police for a routine stop thing I guess. My stepdad doesn't have a driver's license so they had to go to a court hearing today.

Mind you the court hearing was scheduled literally a day after one of his shows (he's a comedian) in Kentucky, so they had a limited time window to get from KY back to some city in GA.

They were late, and because of them being late, he was arrested.

GUESS IM POSTPONING THAT XBONE! Hhhhuuuugghhhhhhhhhhhhh :T

Gorillaz

Don't forget

"Storm Chamber was right"
Just got a job interview at best buy. I'm ready to re-enter the retail struggle.

another BCT member joining the best buy bucket huh

if you sales get use to having your own manager shark you on a sale and making you close late
QyIMD.png

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Then we'll have to resort to Dream Drop. As we are sitting cuffed in the back of the police cruiser he'll tap on the window and be like "don't worry bro I am making a thread about this right now".

Called HR of the place I interviewed at on Thursday and they offered me the Staff Accountant job.

smugbiden.png

"I only have one question, your resume has your name as 'white guy' but your application says 'mexican guy', which do you prefer?"

"I prefer 'mexican guy'"
youngsabu.png

And that's how you use the system against itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom