• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Satch

Banned
Nesotenso said:
For some reason, seeing you in the comic threads, I thought you were a dude.
I bet it's because of my rampant campaign for bare legs on females in comics and the preservation of Power Girl's cleavage window.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Jayayess1190 said:
So because you guys judge her and think she is a man and I don't, you have a problem with me liking her? I never said I wanted to sleep with her, I just like her personality and she makes me laugh.

You think because I put "love" that implied something more?

i dont think shes a man. i think shes annoying. she reminds me of tyler perrys madea character.

Jayayess1190 said:
So because you guys judge her and think she is a man and I don't, you have a problem with me liking her? I never said I wanted to sleep with her, I just like her personality and she makes me laugh.

You think because I put "love" that implied something more?

I think its just because some people find her rather...obnoxious and lacking when it comes to tact. She may invite a guest over and one of the first things she'll ask is who they're having sex with, and some of the advice she gives in her "ask wendy" portion of her TV show seems to actually make situations worse/ are things people would've already guessed anyway.

I'm just used to watching talk shows by people in the harpo group(dr.phil, Dr.Oz, Oprah) so I guess I'm expecting a little something else from my talk shows rather than just a celebrity focus. My mom watches the Harpo talk shows, Monique, and Wendy Williams. She hates Wendy Williams and yells at the TV whenever she's watching but for some reason she just keeps watching. I've watched her show, and I watch her on love triangle(I'm addicted to dating shows. Any of you guys see hell date?) and to me her personality is off putting

But I dislike people who will hate other posters and insult them based on their preferences. If you like Wendy that's great, I'm sure in a board of several thousand members other people will show up and discuss her with you. Would be great if they would post in here ;)

lightless_shado said:
I think its just because some people find her rather...obnoxious and lacking when it comes to tact. She may invite a guest over and one of the first things she'll ask is who they're having sex with, and some of the advice she gives in her "ask wendy" portion of her TV show seems to actually make situations worse/ are things people would've already guessed anyway.
This is why she is so great, asking the questions other hosts shy away from.

Londa said:
It is so hot today!!!

Did anyone do anything fun outside?

Its not hot over here. I'm in my room and my window is facing my backyard. I just turned around and saw my neighbor looking right back at me. Freaked me out.

Jayayess1190 said:
This is why she is so great, asking the questions other hosts shy away from.

Well those are very personal questions you see, and celebs value their privacy and would want to promote an image of being in stable relationships rather than just fucking around. There are tactful ways of asking questions like that but I guess people just see her as being honest while others think she's being rude. I'm not going to argue with you though. I hate seeing people arguing with each other here.

Londa

Banned
lightless_shado said:
Its not hot over here. I'm in my room and my window is facing my backyard. I just turned around and saw my neighbor looking right back at me. Freaked me out.

lol!

I hope you never got naked!

Londa said:
lol!

I hope you never got naked!

Funny story: I live in a neighboorhood of retirees. Every summer this old guy gets out into his backyard and just looks directly at my house. We have a window facing his backyard so we can see each other clearly.

I don't know whether its because I'm the only black guy in the neighborhood or maybe I'm being paranoid, but he seems to always be looking this way whenever I see him out there. Maybe the next time I see him I'll just start randomly krumping.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
It's about 200 here in Atlanta, plus it just rained about an hour ago.

It's like walking through pudding outside

Londa

Banned
lightless_shado said:
Funny story: I live in a neighboorhood of retirees. Every summer this old guy gets out into his backyard and just looks directly at my house. We have a window facing his backyard so we can see each other clearly.

I don't know whether its because I'm the only black guy in the neighborhood or maybe I'm being paranoid, but he seems to always be looking this way whenever I see him out there. Maybe the next time I see him I'll just start randomly krumping.

next time flash him your round black.....

but first take a picture of it and send it to me so I can let you know if it will offend him or not. ;D

DrFunk said:
It's about 200 here in Atlanta, plus it just rained about an hour ago.

It's like walking through pudding outside

wow

way to hot for me.

Lebron

It's about 150 here in Houston. Bless the maker for Baby Powder, I don't know how I could survive without it. I'm going to see Super 8 later myself.

eternaLightness said:
Dear Lebron,

thank you good sir for introducing me to all these womenz in your avy every other week.

Sincerly,

Broham.
I'm just doing my part spreading the sista love. Swag

Equus Bellator Apex

OT:

How do i make my hair look like this?

What's this particular style called?

nappy%2Bhead.jpg

Opiate

Londa said:
edit: I forgot to mention that I draw, but I've been slacking because I been doing mainly graphics with adobe programs. (I would love to make a Black Gaf logo but the OP is unable to be changed)

It is able to be changed. If you decide to do it, just PM me or another moderator.

Londa

Banned
Opiate said:
It is able to be changed. If you decide to do it, just PM me or another moderator.

Thank you <3

I'm am atm trying to make one in Illustrator.

Black Gaf: have an ideas for a logo?

OT:

It's called a bad haircut.

Equus Bellator Apex said:
OT:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-not9mVZq_s0/TZvpvzcF9bI/AAAAAAAAEJU/SxJkcer75_Y/s1600/nappy%2Bhead.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Looks like he just left his hair uncombed and let it grow for a while then brushed it back. I usually brush mine forward. I live in a place where only 1 person can cut my hair and everyone in the barbershop is so awkward because they're all old white men.

so basically imagine my avatar but with black hair. I know I know I need to get it cut. I'll get around to it.

DominoKid

Equus Bellator Apex said:
OT:

*chris rock*

it's called hobo swag.

if youre rich you can get away with it. if not then youre just a hobo

Equus Bellator Apex

said:
I live in a place where only 1 person can cut my hair and everyone in the barbershop is so awkward because they're all old white

I know what that's like. I had to drive all the way out to North Chicago to get my hair cut.

It was bull shit because there were two barbers I'n my town all within walking distance.

But they said they don't cut "my kind of hair"

I'm not gonna call them racist, but how hard is it to trim a caesar?

Lebron

I lived out in the suburbs in Chicago for a min, and no one knew wtf they were doing with my hair. That's when I basically learned how to cut it myself.

I'm also tired of caesars. I mean, don't get me wrong: nothing can beat the feeling of a fresh dark caesar but it's too common. I'd like something else.

Tried a mohawk but not only is that not job friendly, my Haitian father wanted nothing to do with it.

Tried a normal afro for awhile but I didn't like it.

Equus Bellator Apex

spindashing said:
I'm also tired of caesars. I mean, don't get me wrong: nothing can beat the feeling of a fresh dark caesar but it's too common. I'd like something else.

Tried a mohawk but not only is that not job friendly, my Haitian father wanted nothing to do with it.

Exactly I want a mid tier type haircut that's between a caesar and full on dreads.

I want something with personality, but isn't a total bitch to maintain

spindashing said:

Same here so I recently got a Nasir Jones a couple of weeks ago and have been happy with it. Not that big of a difference but I'm too old (and balding) to get too creative.

I need to find out what doctor got Jamie Foxx's hairline back!

Kaizer

Banned
Lebron said:
I lived out in the suburbs in Chicago for a min, and no one knew wtf they were doing with my hair. That's when I basically learned how to cut it myself.
Yep, now I save so much money now that I cut my own hair. Perfect edge line and all. I generally keep a dark caesar, I had twists and corn rolls when I was younger, but they just didn't fit my face right. I look best with a low fade.

MWS Natural said:
Damn BGAF getting a bit too strong...I for see an incoming lock/thread move.
I was actually lurking the old Negro Age thread a few minutes ago, or what's left of it and while searching through the People With Skin thread, I spotted the White Age thread.

Don't jinx us, lol.

Londa

Banned
Why did they lock the old thread and why would they lock this one up?

BTW any suggestions on the logo?

What images come to mind when you think of black culture?

Londa said:
Why did they lock the old thread and why would they lock this one up?

BTW any suggestions on the logo?

What images come to mind when you think of black culture?
Someone made a white age thread as a joke which lead to a lot of backlash and then an indian age, etc. and then a mod merged the black thread with the Spanish one and it got renamed people with skin. It was a shitshow, in short.

They might lock this one up if someone gets mad and does it again.

They always hatin' on the brothas.

Londa, I suggest having a logo that says Black GAF with a collage of various influential blacks within the letters or something like that. I'm not very good at designing.

ChocolateCupcakes said:
Someone made a white age thread as a joke which lead to a lot of backlash and then an indian age, etc. and then a mod merged the black thread with the Spanish one and it got renamed people with skin. It was a shitshow, in short.

They might lock this one up if someone gets mad and does it again.
I'd like to think that the mods have learned from that incident and would not let it happen again...

As far as going into Community, I'd imagine that would keep lurkers/prospective members away. Only regulars would be taking part in conversation and the thread would not be so active.

I could see it happening, though.

Londa

Banned
heliosRAzi said:
They always hatin' on the brothas.

Londa, I suggest having a logo that says Black GAF with a collage of various influential blacks within the letters or something like that. I'm not very good at designing.

Right now I'm playing with letters, adding influential blacks sounds interesting

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
MWS Natural said:
BGAF thread has been sitting on the first page a bit too often lately. How quickly you forget the GAF Negro Massacre of 2011???!
Wasn't that because of Shanadeus? Could be wrong though.

Also the Hispanic thread got axed of cause that whole debacle. But this isn't the thread for that.

You're too paranoid MWS. You need to listen to this and just chiiiiill. Even if we lose the thread, whenever someone makes a thread about something that could be related to black culture, you know who will enter it.

Londa

Banned
omg BS is banned. lol I wish I knew for what.

How many black cook outs have you been to so far?

I've happen to make it to none so far, but I was invited to two already. lol

Lebron

Neoriceisgood said:
Why'd they lock the other thread?
Because Paul Mooney was right.

Kaizer said:
Yep, now I save so much money now that I cut my own hair. Perfect edge line and all. I generally keep a dark caesar, I had twists and corn rolls when I was younger, but they just didn't fit my face right. I look best with a low fade.
zero_suit said:
It saves you so much money if you learn how to do it yourself.
Yeah, that too. I remember I rolled up into this one place and they had the nerve to utter, "$20 for a haircut." I nearly did a Fred Sanford.

My mother and father are leaving for Haiti tomorrow. My father is planning on actually purchasing some land down there and he's going to finalize the deal while he's down there.

The house is going to be so quiet these two weeks.

lightless_shado said:
You're too paranoid MWS. You need to listen to this and just chiiiiill. Even if we lose the thread, whenever someone makes a thread about something that could be related to black culture, you know who will enter it.
Downloaded.....listening.....loving.
Lebron said:
Because Paul Mooney was right.
YESSSSS LOL my man Lebron ALWAYS on point.

Top Bottom