• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Championships 2012 at [WIMBLEDON]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigfoot

Krajicek beating Sampras. Soderling over Nadal at Roland Garros. Not many more come immediately to mind in the Mens for sure.
Sampras lost to some low ranked player in the 2nd round of Wimbledon in 2002. That was a pretty big loss. He was the same age as Fed is now and he last won it in 2000 so that loss would be sort of like Fed going on in the 2nd round this year.

Smellycat

federer beating sampras.

oh well maybe not lol.

That was an upset for sure, but you have to remember that Federer has always been hyped as the next big thing in tennis, and that match was highly anticipated.

Another big upset was when Defending champ Lleyton Hewitt lost to Karlovic in the first round at Wimbledon.

Smellycat

I forgot to mention that Federer is the world number 2 now. Nadal just lost 1155 points.

And of course, if he wins this title he will be the new number 1.

clemenx

Banned
Will Nadal ever win outside of clay again?

Raonic better don't lose against Querrey, he will enter in the disappointment category, imo.

clemenx

Banned
Will Federer ever win a GS on any surface again?

Who's talking about GS? He can't even win ATP 500. To that question I'm gonna say no.

Obviously my post was disingenuous but it is worrying the fact that he's gone more than a year without winning outside of Clay.

Krajicek beating Sampras. Soderling over Nadal at Roland Garros. Not many more come immediately to mind in the Mens for sure.

Krajicek was a known commodity though. He as a good player and his serve was one of the best. Plus that match had like 10 rain delays.

The 2002 Sampras loss at Wimbledon was worse. That one still burns.

Bigfoot

I forgot to mention that Federer is the world number 2 now. Nadal just lost 1155 points.

And of course, if he wins this title he will be the new number 1.

Does this mean Fed is #2 for the Olympics? That will help him maybe if Nadal and Djokovic end up on the same side of the draw. 50/50 chance for him. I don't think Fed has it in him at his age to beat both those guys back to back to win a title.

Lancehead

Who's talking about GS? He can't even win ATP 500. To that question I'm gonna say no.

Obviously my post was disingenuous but it is worrying the fact that he's gone more than a year without winning outside of Clay.

There is some qualification to that fact this time though. Nadal did go in the past years without winning outside clay. This time Djokovic was really the single factor to Nadal not winning outside clay. But he had improved since Australian Open final and been doing well against Djokovic.

Looked like Nadal wasn't even trying in the final game. Congrats to Rosol nonetheless.

Eh, what was Nadal really going to do against such serving?

clemenx

Banned
Lmao
AwgdF8FCIAEqVBA.jpg

Who's talking about GS? He can't even win ATP 500. To that question I'm gonna say no. .

what are you talking about? if you reference halle, halle is ATP 250 and federer won 4 titles this year including two ATP 1000 and is the reigning WTF champ and reigning Paric Bery Champ (another ATP 1000).

he has a good shot for no.1 for gods sake.

clemenx

Banned
what are you talking about? if you reference halle, halle is ATP 250 and federer won 4 titles this year including ATP 1000 and is the reigning WTF champ and reigning Paric Bery Champ (another ATP 1000).

Look at the post he quoted! I was talking about Nadal outside of clay for the past year.
About Fed winning a GS I prefer to be a pessimist.

well you quoted "will federer ever win a GS again" and your first sentence was "who talks about GS he can't even win ATP 500". that was rather confusing.

Wes

venison crêpe
Krajicek was a known commodity though. He as a good player and his serve was one of the best. Plus that match had like 10 rain delays.

The 2002 Sampras loss at Wimbledon was worse. That one still burns.

I was speaking personally. That one from the 90s sticks in my head. I understand the later victory being more "of a shock" for sure I just don't remember it as well for whatever reason.

Koshiro

All this talk about 'this opens up the draw for Murray' is winding me up. I love Murray, but this moment is Rosol's, and if he plays like that again, he deserves to win the whole damn thing.

Speevy

Banned
I wonder what the chances are that someone like Nadal or Djokovic would get that "wrong" opponent.

You have to figure that had Rosol been on the other side of the draw, Nadal would be sailing into the third round and Rosol might be sitting at home.

It's something I find interesting. A one in a million shot that there's a journeyman who wants it more than you do, and who is playing out of his mind that day.

I wonder what the chances are that someone like Nadal or Djokovic would get that "wrong" opponent.

You have to figure that had Rosol been on the other side of the draw, Nadal would be sailing into the third round and Rosol might be sitting at home.

It's something I find interesting. A one in a million shot that there's a journeyman who wants it more than you do, and who is playing out of his mind that day.
And that's the reason i love sports.Anyone can beat anyone on any given day.

szaromir

Banned

Well if you placed Federer in Nadal's place Rosol would lose like Fognini and we would be all complaining that Federer's forehand doesn't have as much pop as it used to.

Or if the conditions were similar to yesterday Nadal would be safely through.

agrajag

Banned
what are you talking about? if you reference halle, halle is ATP 250 and federer won 4 titles this year including two ATP 1000 and is the reigning WTF champ and reigning Paric Bery Champ (another ATP 1000).

He's the reigning What The Fuck champ?

IISANDERII

Wow, even PTI begins with Rosol/Nadal. Has that happened before?

Rosol was playing with such unbelievable confidence, he just threw away the Nadal service game just so he could get to his own and serve it out. Nobody does that!

This upset is not quite up there with Ivanisevic winning the title as 125th ranked wild card or a 66th ranked Kuerten beating 3 former French Open champions to take Roland Garros in 1997. It's close though, because of the almost complete stranglehold the big 3 have had.

Wow, even PTI begins with Rosol/Nadal. Has that happened before?

Rosol was playing with such unbelievable confidence, he just threw away the Nadal service game just so he could get to his own and serve it out. Nobody does that!

This upset is not quite up there with Ivanisevic winning the title as 125th ranked wild card or a 66th ranked Kuerten beating 3 former French Open champions to take Roland Garros in 1997. It's close though, because of the almost complete stranglehold the big 3 have had.
I'm not surprised that happened it's espn they love stuff like this.They probably have a 10 biggest upsets in sports history countdown on sportscenter tonight or tomorrow.

MIMIC

Banned
I'm not surprised that happened it's espn they love stuff like this.They probably have a 10 biggest upsets in sports history countdown on sportscenter tonight or tomorrow.

I like how fired up the guys were. As if they give a shit about tennis.

BBC Sport had a list of other Wimbledon shocks.

• In 2002, world number 145 George Bastl beat seven-time Wimbledon champion Pete Sampras in five sets after receiving a wildcard into the draw.
  • In 2003, defending champion Lleyton Hewitt was beaten in the first round by world number 203 Ivo Karlovic. Hewitt became the first defending Wimbledon champion since tennis turned professional in 1968 to lose in the first round.
  • An unseeded 17-year-old Boris Becker became the youngest winner of the men's singles at Wimbledon in 1985, and retained his crown 12 months later but suffered a shock second-round defeat by Australian teenager Peter Doohan in 1987.
  • Richard Krajicek beat Pete Sampras in the 1996 quarter-final before going on to become the first Dutchman to win Wimbledon. That was Sampras's only loss at the tournament between 1993 and 2001.
  • Three-time Wimbledon runner-up Goran Ivanisevic won the title in 2001 to become the lowest-ranked player and only wildcard to win Wimbledon.

HeroMK

Neo Member
The bottom half of the draw just blew wide open. Anyone can make the final from the bottom half of the draw. Murray, Tsonga, Del Potro, Ferrer, Raonic, Cilic, Querrey, Baghdatis, Kohlschreiber, Brian Baker, Roddick, Fish, Goffin and even Rosol all in with some form of a chance.

A Murray vs Federer final in front of the royal family and the british crowd would have probably one of the best atmospheres in all of sport. I hope this happens.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Murray in a final should be nice if he gets there

If he meets Federer the fans will clash like crazy on the court, history'll be made in any case

szaromir

Banned
Did you watch the match? This wasn't Nadal playing badly. Rosol just hit the zone for a match and was flawless. Absolutely incredible.

While Rosol was great, he would be demolished if he played against Federer. Nadal gives his opponents too much time and the result is they pick corners until Nadal won't be able to retrieve.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
The only thing that upsets me is that Murray has a better chance of making the final now. And that means he has a better chance of winning this thing. Someone please reassure me that this isn't going to happen...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom