• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Championships 2012 at [WIMBLEDON]

Status
Not open for further replies.

szaromir

Banned
What a terrible showing from Novak. Dude's better than that. He's till not as mentally strong as he needs to be. He lets shit get to him way too easily.

Really? The guy was outplayed, Federer takes ball early, is both aggressive and consistent, so his usual pushing doesn't work as well as it does against other aggressive players or against Fed on slower surfaces.

sfedai0

Banned
While Fed will be checking off a whole host of achievements, either Tsonga or Murray beating him will have an even bigger impact. Will Britain finally be able to call one of their own a champ?

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Federer won't be afraid of either player now in the final. He has gotten that monkey off his back and will be very relaxed in the final IMO.

agrajag

Banned
I'm just amazed how Federer recovered in the third and fourth sets. He looked SO bad the first two, hitting the ball into the net almost every return. Then he went into god-mode all of a sudden. Incredible.

Jensen

What a terrible showing from Novak. Dude's better than that. He's till not as mentally strong as he needs to be. He lets shit get to him way too easily.
That double fault on match point at Roland Garros and that overhead choke today were hard to watch.

Very surprising considering how well he played the big points, especially the match points, last year.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Djokovic is pretty much done now, his career is clearly on a downward spiral: Win at Australia, final at French and now semi-final at Wimbledon. He'll lose at quarters at US Open, and then will struggle to get out of the early rounds next year.

Speevy

Banned
Andy Murray is the more skilled opponent for Federer, but if Federer isn't playing like crap, Murray will have a lot of trouble beating him.

Tsonga is less talented than Murray, but he has that "spark" that could carry the crowd.

I don't know who I want to win.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I'm just amazed how Federer recovered in the third and fourth sets. He looked SO bad the first two, hitting the ball into the net almost every return. Then he went into god-mode all of a sudden. Incredible.
I only watched the second set, and yes. I really am surprised of the recovery, shame I had to leave. Was it because of Djokovic's exhaustion/mental downgrade or just Federer actually stepping it up even more

Speevy

Banned

He reversed his choke timer. It's normally set to "start strong, then lose".

szaromir

Banned
Djokovic is pretty much done now, his career is clearly on a downward spiral: Win at Australia, final at French and now semi-final at Wimbledon. He'll lose at quarters at US Open, and then will struggle to get out of the early rounds next year.

Come on, he will be doing similarly to Nadal now - he'll be performing exceptionally well on the surface that suits his game the most (slow hard courts) and OKish everywhere else.

mclem

Woo! M
a
rray
/Nielsen
takes the first set!

Hope Murray loses just to break England's hearts once again
Ah, sociopathy!

Seriously? That's ridiculous, way to help Murray's defensive game. Astonishing decision. Tsonga's powerful attacking game is much more dangerous in faster indoors conditions.

The rain *has* stopped. It's convenient, but I'm not sure it's particularly malice-driven.

Wes

venison crêpe
This is why I love Radio Five Live, Dominic West (of The Wire fame) is talking to Pat Cash on Centre Court.

Cash just gave him £20 and West is going to go out and buy him a copy of the show.

Wow not so fast lets wait atleast to the us open to start thinking about that.

Hope Murray loses just to break England's hearts once again

I think you'll find that Murray is Scottish, so if he loses it will not be a very big deal for England. He's only British when he wins and he's also pretty unlikeable, most people I know don't like him, but feel obliged to support him as Britain's only decent tennis player since Henman.

Seriously? That's ridiculous, way to help Murray's defensive game. Astonishing decision. Tsonga's powerful attacking game is much more dangerous in faster indoors conditions.

The All England Club are obliged by council regulations to open the roof if they feel a match can be completed in the open without interruption. It's stunningly sunny over here right now and the forecast says no rain until 9pm. That have to open the roof.

agrajag

Banned
I only watched the second set, and yes. I really am surprised of the recovery, shame I had to leave. Was it because of Djokovic's exhaustion/mental downgrade or just Federer actually stepping it up even more

He just turned off his errors and upped the intensity. Do not make a mistake of thinking it was just Djokovic choking, Federer really put the pressure on him.

Wes

venison crêpe

No.

It's because it's billed as an Outdoor Tournament and if it can be played without the roof they always pull it back.

The roof only stays shut if:
  • It's raining.

• The threat of rain is imminent.

• The roof was closed at an earlier point in the match, as such the remainder of that specific match must also be played with the roof over.

mclem

I can't fathom a crowd being against Fed (outside Davis Cup) it'd be interesting to see if Murray wins.

Ordinarily I'd expect the final to be calm and respectful no matter what, simply due to the fact that it's so expensive to get in in the first place! That said, it's not like we've really got a final with a Brit to compare it to!

Come on, he will be doing similarly to Nadal now - he'll be performing exceptionally well on the surface that suits his game the most (slow hard courts) and OKish everywhere else.

I can see it going either way, a return to form, or a collapse

I think losing at the French was pretty brutal, basically his one chance to get a true grand slam and he runs into a buzzsaw then he has to come out in two weeks and defend his title on a totally different surface

Ordinarily I'd expect the final to be calm and respectful no matter what, simply due to the fact that it's so expensive to get in in the first place! That said, it's not like we've really got a final with a Brit to compare it to!

the last time it happened tennis players wore shirts and trousers!

trousers!

Isn't it Wimbledon's policy to keep the roof open unless it's absolutely necessary?

Actually I thought the policy is to keep the roof closed no matter what happens if you start the day with a closed roof? Can't quite remember a time when they opened the roof after the first match. I do remember them not starting with roof on even though showers were expected and people rightfully questionned the decision.

No.

It's because it's billed as an Outdoor Tournament and if it can be played without the roof they always pull it back.

The roof only stays shut if:
  • It's raining.

• The threat of rain is imminent.

• The roof was closed at an earlier point in the match, as such the remainder of that specific match must also be played with the roof over.

Ok so they can open the roof in between matches depending on the weather, makes sense.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
He just turned off his errors and upped the intensity. Do not make a mistake of thinking it was just Djokovic choking, Federer really put the pressure on him.
Yeah, it definitely couldn't have been Djoko just choking, he would recover

Can't wait to watch the repeats

lucius

I think Fed has a better chance against Murray in final unless it goes 5 long sets. Remember this current Fed one day will come out and look like a #1 then the next day shit the bed. I just want Fed vs Murray final which would be huge.

Number45

I can't fathom a crowd being against Fed (outside Davis Cup) it'd be interesting to see if Murray wins.
They won't be against him as such (I'm sure they'll be thrilled for him actually), they'll just be rooting for Murray more. :)

I know Murray is Scottish, but as others have said "When he wins, he's British"

So yeah, hope he loses
Are you British, out of curiosity? Everyone I know that likes or dislikes him isn't going to change that opinion based on whether he wins or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom