• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Championships 2012 at [WIMBLEDON]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclem

Meanwhile, it's looking awfully good that we'll have a second final featuring a Brit. 2-0 in Marray/Nielsen's doubles match against the Bryan brothers. Mustn't count chickens, that's just asking to put mockers on everything.

Wanting someone to win it more is OK. Wanting someone not to win something is bitter by default. If he wins Wimbledon, he will have earned it and he'll deserve it.

Absolutely nothing wrong with not wanting someone to win. People form allegiances with sports teams and players all the time, and you often end up hating the rivals of teams/players you like. Perfectly normal.

I don't get this MIMIC guy, he supports Djoker but hates Murray even though they are basically the same player, Djoker with better aggression.

I don't think it just comes down to thier playing style, I really like Djoker but hate Murray. I agree with MIMIC on his points.

Wanting someone to win it more is OK. Wanting someone not to win something is bitter by default. If he wins Wimbledon, he will have earned it and he'll deserve it.

No one is arguing he doesn't deserve it if he won, of course he would have earned it, just don't want him to.

MIMIC

Banned

So if I don't like Murray, I have to WANT him to win it, otherwise I am bitter? Wow...what a predicament I am in.

IF Murray wins it, then he deserves it. But until then, I hope he wins nothing.

mclem

Absolutely nothing wrong with not wanting someone to win. People form allegiances with sports teams and players all the time, and you often end up hating the rivals of teams/players you like. Perfectly normal.
Terribly confusing when it seems largely one-way, though! The only 'hate' I've really seen Murray fans direct at Nadal, Fed or Djokovic is sheer exasperation at how good they are!

So if I don't like Murray, I have to WANT him to win it, otherwise I am bitter? Wow...what a predicament I am in.
While I don't particularly agree with the base sentiment, he's saying that it'd be okay if you were rooting against Murray *because* you wanted Tsonga to win, not because you didn't want Murray to win.

szaromir

Banned

Djoker and Murray tend to get along pretty well actually.

Terribly confusing when it seems largely one-way, though! The only 'hate' I've really seen Murray fans direct at Nadal, Fed or Djokovic is sheer exasperation at how good they are!

While I don't particularly agree with the base sentiment, he's saying that it'd be okay if you were rooting against Murray *because* you wanted Tsonga to win, not because you didn't want Murray to win.

what annoys me is how people assume he's worse than he actually is. He's 4th in the world for god's sake!

Murray has played very smartly. He is just coasting along for now and knows that unless Tsonga starts to attack he will get through this match unscathed as long as he keeps serving well.

Tsonga needs to do something here. Very quiet, lacking the inspiration he needs to really perform.

mclem

Are NBC (I think it was them in the past) not using McEnroe this year? It seems like he's always on the BBC at the moment. Not that I object to that fact!

I don't think it just comes down to thier playing style, I really like Djoker but hate Murray. I agree with MIMIC on his points.

I'm no Murray fan either, but then I don't really like Djoker either, he's the same bloody player as Murray with a bit of added aggression. Definitely less of a drama queen though which I do like.

MIMIC

Banned

Says who? If I don't like you then I don't like you. It's not like I'm discrediting him for his current success or something.

I'm no Murray fan either, but then I don't really like Djoker either, he's the same bloody player as Murray with a bit of added aggression. Definitely less of a drama queen though which I do like.
I agree he is a very similar player but Novak's groundstrokes whilst repetitive and tiring are more impressive. He really rips them of both sides and for me at least it's exciting just to see that.

Sure he is no Federer but I think he is definitely better to watch than Murray.

Plus his character and charisma on the court helps too. You can sense him battling and fighting. Murray is tame in comparison.

I am a Murray fan btw.

This is so not true but well...

I'm just soo happy federer made the finals. I wouldnt even be that mad if he loses since it would be to tsonga who i like a lot and murray who i think deserves one anyway. But it would be one wasted opportunity.

I wonder how his chances at number one would be if he loses. Very good i imagine.

GimMick

Late to the party I know but... LOL at people writing out Fed for the semi... never count the GOAT out. Some here have already forgotten what happened last year at RG :lol

Still hoping Tsonga can make it out of that match, but it doesn't bode well. Can't watch the match for now...

Tookay

If Fed plays like he previously played against Murray in the finals, this match is over before it even starts.

But with Fed, you never know...

If Fed plays like he previously played against Murray in the finals, this match is over before it even starts.

But with Fed, you never know...

Murray was nervous as fuck in the USO and AO twice. Do you think he will do better on his homecourt with pressure so high like never before against a guy who practicaly lives on the wimby center court?

I seriously doubt it. But as you said you never know.

Tookay

Murray was nervous as fuck in the USO and AO twice. Do you think he will do better on his homecourt with pressure so high like never before against a guy who practicaly lives on the wimby center court?

I seriously doubt it. But as you said you never know.

That's a good point. I'm just trying to keep my expectations reasonable.

MIMIC

Banned
It's going to be an interesting final, nonetheless. Murray doesn't lead the H2H by coincidence. But it has always been about Murray's opponent (Fed and Djokovic, thus far) seizing the moment....because it's a slam final, where you leave it all on the court.

Fed has played well in the past and Murray has STILL been able to confound him. He's like a lesser version of Nadal (with NONE of the topspin). The match-up issue is always there, but Fed's experience has allowed him to be 6-0 in sets against Murray when they reach the final. Murray's performance in his 4th slam final will either be the product of valuable experience (after failing miserably) or, laughably, more of the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom