• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Championships 2012 at [WIMBLEDON]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

venison crêpe
In related Brit tennis news Jonny Marray, a wildcard entry, has made the Mens doubles final after he and partner Freddie Nielsen beat the Bryan brothers. First time in 52 years.

In related Brit tennis news Jonny Marray, a wildcard entry, has made the Mens doubles final after he and partner Freddie Nielsen beat the Bryan brothers. First time in 52 years.

at 31 he has won a whopping 13 double games in his career. 4 singles games. this has fluke written all over it. :lol

good for him.

You can shove your USAs, your Chinas and your Indias up your arse, the Brits are coming up the hill!

:p

TrueBlue

qjEye.jpg

The boss.

Very happy for Andy, although Fed is obviously the favourite. First set will be crucial.

szaromir

Banned
If Roger wins on Sunday, he's pretty much guaranteed as #1 for over 3 months, right? That's like 12-15 weeks above Sampras' record and pretty much seals that his new record is safe for at least a decade, assuming he wins.

I'll be happy with whoever wins. Federer because he's a great champion in decline, and there's something bittersweet about watching someone roll back the years and the win trophy against better, tougher and possibly hungrier opposition; much like Sampras when he won the US Open for the last time. Then there's Murray, who as a fellow Brit, I'll be supporting because it would be amazing for him to win his first major, and at Wimbledon no less.

Federer has to be the favourite, but Murray has a good chance and he needs to actually turn up this time, because the last three finals he was lacklustre and seemed to be overwhelmed by the occasion. Let's hope they deliver a final to remember, 2008 and 2009 were two epic finals, I'd be happy to have one on that level.

Also, how incredible is it that Federer could potentially return to number one. I always thought he'd pick up at least one more major, but never entertained the possibility that he'd return to number one. He's reaping the rewards for that simply awesome stretch of form last year after the US Open.

Wes

venison crêpe
Murray makes the final and the first picture on the Daily Mail's website was of his girlfriend. Heck, even The Sun had a picture of the actual player.

Here's a question.

Has Federer recaptured the edge vs. Djokovic or was this just a freak occurrence?

From what i have seen of the match Fed played well after the first 2 sets but then Djoker was not himself clearly... else he would have won as he did the last couple times against Fed

szaromir

Banned
Here's a question.

Has Federer recaptured the edge vs. Djokovic or was this just a freak occurrence?
Depends on the surface. But Fed's game will continue gradually declining, so he probably won't be winning any matches against Djoker on any surface in 2 years or so.

HeroMK

Neo Member
If Roger wins on Sunday, he's pretty much guaranteed as #1 for over 3 months, right? That's like 12-15 weeks above Sampras' record and pretty much seals that his new record is safe for at least a decade, assuming he wins.

Djokovic gains back the #1 ranking if he finishes ahead of Federer at the Olympics in 2 weeks. So it will be switching back and forth between them until the end of the year more than likely.

Remyzero

From what i have seen of the match Fed played well after the first 2 sets but then Djoker was not himself clearly... else he would have won as he did the last couple times against Fed

Also this was the first time they played on grass. Djoker's footwork did not hold up the same causing him to stumble.

Fed lost the 2nd set because of 1st serve percentages.

bionic77

Here's a question.

Fed's game gave Djokovic problems even last year (remember French Open and he had him on the ropes at the US Open too). Add that into the fact that this is Roger's best surface and that Novak was not playing his best tennis and you get the upset.

I can't see Fed keeping this up much longer, but he keeps proving me wrong. Eventually I will be right but it is nice seeing him work so hard as the physical skills continue to slowly erode.

szaromir

Banned
Djokovic gains back the #1 ranking if he finishes ahead of Federer at the Olympics in 2 weeks. So it will be switching back and forth between them until the end of the year more than likely.

Yeah, but after that Djoker has to defend a title in Montreal, final in Cincinnati and title in New York. Roger OTOH had rather mediocre results in the US Open warm-up tournaments and I'll be crying into my pillow for 3 weeks if he won't reach at least semis at US Open.

szaromir

Banned
I can't see Fed keeping this up much longer, but he keeps proving me wrong. Eventually I will be right but it is nice seeing him work so hard as the physical skills continue to slowly erode.
After that loss at US Open Roger has become a bit different player, his determination to work harder is stronger than before. You could see it at the ATP finals where he beat Nadal 63 60. Shame he can't overcome Nadal/Djokovic on slower surfaces.

HeroMK

Neo Member
Yeah, but after that Djoker has to defend a title in Montreal, final in Cincinnati and title in New York. Roger OTOH had rather mediocre results in the US Open warm-up tournaments and I'll be crying into my pillow for 3 weeks if he won't reach at least semis at US Open.

Djokovic also tanked the end of the season last year whiles Federer won the World Tour Finals, Paris Masters and his hometown tournament in Basel (500). Djokovic will probably end the year #1 again but Fed has a shot to break the all time record of weeks at #1 with a win over Murray in the finals.

Here's a question.

There's not much between them, when they're both playing well you get amazing matches such as the two US Open semi's and the French Open semi from last year. If either of them is off their game, it kind of gets away from the losing player pretty quickly, as Federer demonstrated in the semi-final of the French this year. Though, I do think Federer has reclaimed some of the ground he's lost to Djokovic over the last year and a half with his win today.

Djokovic seemed out of sorts during today's match, combined with Federer's awesome serving, he never really got into the match and after that tight second set, he just faded really quickly, which is unusual for Djokovic. But you can't always bring your A game to these matches.

PaulLFC

After this I'd like to watch more tennis outside of just the grand slams, what's the best way to do that in the UK? I think Eurosport and ESPN have some tournaments, but I'm not sure which ones. Bet365 also have some ATP and WTA coverage on their website, but I don't know if they're allowed to show top matches or just some of the earlier rounds.

I see there's tennisTV online streaming, which works out at around £70-£80 for a year, I think.

Are there any other options?

After this I'd like to watch more tennis outside of just the grand slams, what's the best way to do that in the UK? I think Eurosport and ESPN have some tournaments, but I'm not sure which ones. Bet365 also have some ATP and WTA coverage on their website, but I don't know if they're allowed to show top matches or just some of the earlier rounds.

Eurosport is the best option for non slam coverage, definitely.

Eurosport has a bunch of tennis.

szaromir

Banned
Djokovic also tanked the end of the season last year whiles Federer won the World Tour Finals, Paris Masters and his hometown tournament in Basel (500). Djokovic will probably end the year #1 again but Fed has a shot to break the all time record of weeks at #1 with a win over Murray in the finals.

Yes, but that's not until middle October that he has to defend those titles. And they're all fast indoor tournaments, so Federer's best surface by far. If he wins on Sunday, he'll be also #1 in the race so he will have a reasonable shot at YE#1. The next 6 months are looking bright for Roger and his records.

Peru

Further destroying the myth that tennis is a struggling audience sport in the US, ESPN figures

Two ESPN telecasts during the fortnight stand as ESPN’s most-watched ever from Wimbledon – 979,000 homes on Saturday, June 30 and 978,000 on Wednesday, July 4. Each earned a 1.0 coverage rating, tying ESPN’s best ever at Wimbledon. Two of the three previous 1.0 ratings also came on a July 4: ESPN2 on July 4, 2007, for the Ladies’ Quarterfinals; ESPN on July 4, 2003, for a Gentlemen’s Semifinal; and ESPN on July 1, 2004, for a Ladies’ Semifinal. Saturday’s 10-hour, 10-minute ESPN telecast (the third longest Wimbledon telecast ever, behind only an ESPN2 telecast in 2010 and Day One this year) – earned a 0.9 U.S. rating, the best for the “middle Saturday” since 2007 (1.0).

Let's not forget.. Roger Federer and the last brit to win at Wimbledon

Virginia+Wade+Wimbledon+Winners+Party+2009+k4OL4osSdoMl.jpg

Sky Sports shows pretty much all of the Masters 1000 Series tournaments. You really need that if you want to seriously follow tennis outside of the 4 majors.

Jasconius

Looks like Colin Fleming and Hsieh Su-Wei won't make it to the mixed doubles semi-finals to add to the pool of British although they looked really good in their match. :(

Does anyone here follow doubles much? I never really watched much before but with ESPN3 and being able to watch pretty much whichever games I want, I've been finding it pretty entertaining. You can get some really great rallies that aren't anything like singles at all.

Does anyone here follow doubles much? I never really watched much before but with ESPN3 and being able to watch pretty much whichever games I want,

nah, i like doubles though but only players that are not good enough for singles play doubles which means the level of play is not that high. the mens double ranking top 10 has no player under 30 which should tell you how 'competitive' it is. olympic doubles will be hopefully fun.

mixed is boring as well since it's just 'hit the girl'.

Peru

Doubles are especially entertaining to watch live (in the flesh). When I've been to tournaments I love going to less attended doubles matches for some fast-paced tennis.

the mens double ranking top 10 has no player under 30 which should tell you how 'competitive' it is.

Partly because only dedicated doubles teams make the top ranking, doesn't mean Slam doubles won't be competitive as great teams who don't play all year join in.

A reminder of Federer in douchey mode before the final: http://www.dropshotdispatch.com/2011/11/20/top-10-roger-federer-verbal-jabs-at-andy-murray/

szaromir

Banned
Tsonga's a natural loser. Gets fans smiling at the end, but you can't help but feel like he thought he was going to lose from before he entered the court.

I can't believe he actually said he's not one of the most talented guys on the tour in the post match press conference..

Peru

Beyond The Baseline ‏@SI_BTBaseline
Second question of the presser: Andy is asked about his dogs.

"They don't care whether I win or lose." Andy Murray on his dogs.

PaulLFC

Sky Sports shows pretty much all of the Masters 1000 Series tournaments. You really need that if you want to seriously follow tennis outside of the 4 majors.
I have Sky Sports too so this is great news :) As you can tell I've never paid much attention to the TV schedules for tennis outside of the grand slams, want to change that and start watching more from now on though.

Second question of the presser: Andy is asked about his dogs.

"They don't care whether I win or lose." Andy Murray on his dogs.

Yeah right, i don't buy it...

I bet when he gets home, they will be giving him that look..."so you fucked it up again didn't ya?"

I can't believe he actually said he's not one of the most talented guys on the tour in the post match press conference..

Dude has the wrong attitude. Half of winning at stuff is believing that you are the biggest baddest guy in the sport and that you have the ability to beat anyone.

mclem

Well, I left work pretty much at 2-1, so I have to say, more than anything else: I *love* the new BBC player. Could settle down and watch the entire final set at my own pace. Delightful.

Now to work out what the hell to do on Sunday. Match starts at 2pm, right? Race starts at 1pm. Might have to stream on my laptop while watching the telly.

Well, I left work pretty much at 2-1, so I have to say, more than anything else: I *love* the new BBC player. Could settle down and watch the entire final set at my own pace. Delightful.

Now to work out what the hell to do on Sunday. Match starts at 2pm, right? Race starts at 1pm. Might have to stream on my laptop while watching the telly.

that new player is gonna be AMAZING during the olympics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom