• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2012/13: Why haven't they released *insert title here*?

Shiv47

Well, people have been wanting The Game for many years, so that is sure to be a hit. I saw it when it came out, but don't feel any special need to re-visit it. The others look fine, but nothing I need to purchase.

Risette

A Good Citizen
The Game cover looks great.

I hope they make the transfer resemble the intended bleach bypass aesthetic like what was done for Se7en on BD. :c

Zia

Wow, what a month. I'll hopefully be picking up The Children of Paradise and Umberto D. The Game will be a B&N sale buy -- one of my favorite guilty pleasures.

Himself

This may comment more on my tastes than the quality of their releases, but it's been forever since they put something out that i want. I'm just stubbornly waiting for some Weersethakul or the other Malick films.

Everyone seems really excited for The Game... it doesn't seem like it has the replay value or historical context of other Criterion movies. Or did I miss something when I saw it years ago?

Everyone seems really excited for The Game... it doesn't seem like it has the replay value or historical context of other Criterion movies. Or did I miss something when I saw it years ago?

Benjamin Button is on Criterion too. I don't feel like either of the films need to be on there, but it is what it is.

Himself

I don't think it does, it's a good one time watch. Things like The Game probably bring in just enough funds to go out on a limb with their other releases.

big ander

I don't think The Game is all that good and it is very mainstream, but I think it is batshit crazy enough to sort of justify it being in the collection.

Ah, that all makes sense. I mean, I know they have major titles like Armadeaddon and such... but The Game just seems like such an odd choice in general. I'm just glad to know it isn't just me who feels this way :)

Machine

I am not a big film nerd but I just got my first Criterion movie and it is fuck awesome. Harold & Maude is such a great movie. I'm not sure when this one resonates with me so much when so many others leave me disinterested.

omgkitty

I am not a big film nerd but I just got my first Criterion movie and it is fuck awesome. Harold & Maude is such a great movie. I'm not sure when this one resonates with me so much when so many others leave me disinterested.

You'll always remember your first Criterion, and I've found that seeing how awesome their blu-ray's are really shows how all the other companies really need to step their game up on all fronts. Covers, menu design, supplements, picture / audio quality etc.

codhand

Hello all, hopefully you haven't been draining your finances too much on the Amazon game deals because it looks like 7-10-12 will mark the true end of your wallet.

What: 50% off Criterion Collection movies (includes new films being released within the time frame of the sale)

When: 7/10/2012 to 7/30/2012

Where: Barnes and Noble stores and online at: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ beginning at 3am EST/12 am PST on 7/10

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=200175

beware, the servers will be overloaded.jpg

Hello all, hopefully you haven't been draining your finances too much on the Amazon game deals because it looks like 7-10-12 will mark the true end of your wallet.

beware, the servers will be overloaded.jpg
Getting the Late Ozu eclipse set and Hausu blu-ray. May also get The Gold Rush bluray. Pretty different films.

Although my father purchased some of the older DVD sets from Criterion, I've yet to get any new post-rebranding releases. So this deal is pretty much perfect. Going to get the AK 25-film set, as well as another single title (or I'll just round-off my Nicolas Roeg collection).

nilbog21

Banned
haha nice to see The Game, a movie that totally blew my mind growing up. ALso Children of Paradise might be the best movie ever made, I can watch that movie over and over..

Zia

Criterion has Eraserhead, and I'm assuming other parts, if not all, of the Lime Green set. The film is up to stream on Hulu Plus right now. I haven't gotten around to watching it, but I had heard the North Anerican licensees were going to tour a new print, so...

Ridley327

Criterion has Eraserhead, and I'm assuming other parts, if not all, of the Lime Green set. The film is up to stream on Hulu Plus right now. I haven't gotten around to watching it, but I had heard the North Anerican licensees were going to tour a new print, so...

Hopefully, they don't scare Lynch again.

Eraserhead would make for an amazing October release, along with Rosemary's Baby.

I've got the special version of Eraserhead on DVD that could only be obtained on Lynch's site. It's pretty zany. Before the menu boots, it gives you directions on how to adjust your television set for maximum viewing pleasure.

I hate to burst bubbles, but I'm pretty sure Lynch is over his own transfers. He specifically was over the Twin Peaks remaster, Blue Velvet on Blu Ray, and INLAND EMPIRE on DVD. They're all lovely.

Ridley327

I've got the special version of Eraserhead on DVD that could only be obtained on Lynch's site. It's pretty zany. Before the menu boots, it gives you directions on how to adjust your television set for maximum viewing pleasure.

I hate to burst bubbles, but I'm pretty sure Lynch is over his own transfers. He specifically was over the Twin Peaks remaster, Blue Velvet on Blu Ray, and INLAND EMPIRE on DVD. They're all lovely.

I read that this deal would cover all of the stuff that MK2 owns, which would be Eraserhead and basically all of the short films. Not quite the whole bounty, but a hell of a start, especially after Criterion's first attempt to make an Eraserhead home release happen ended in such disappointing failure.

codhand

I added three 50% off movies to my cart, and it gave me the least expensive one for free.

ie

If... $19.99 was 50% off but = free
Monterey Festival $34.99 = 50% off
The Battle of Algiers $19.99 = 50% off

total $63.7

omgkitty

So I was going to wait until payday, but with B2G1F also still working, I had to just go for it. I picked up:

The Lady Vanishes
The 39 Steps
The Gold Rush
Summer With Monika
Summer Interlude
Harold and Maude

I will also try to get Three Samurai Trilogy and David Lean Directs Noel Coward when I do actually get paid!

TJ Bennett

TJ Hooker
Blu-rays
Anatomy of a Murder
Being John Malkovich
The Gold Rush
Harold and Maude
The 39 Steps
The Last Temptation of Christ
Shallow Grave
A Night to Remember
The Battle of Algiers

Total (Before Tax): $125

Thank you Barnes & Noble!

codhand

picked up:

The Lady Vanishes
The 39 Steps
The Gold Rush
Summer With Monika
Summer Interlude
Harold and Maude

Blu-rays
Anatomy of a Murder
Being John Malkovich
The Gold Rush
Harold and Maude
The 39 Steps
The Last Temptation of Christ
Shallow Grave
A Night to Remember
The Battle of Algiers

Total (Before Tax): $125

Thank you Barnes & Noble!

This sale seriously rules, glad I stayed up.

codhand

Yes, but now your wallet hates you! (or likes you if you considered buying these at OG prices)

I think some flicks were flashing in at 14.99, Letter Never Sent still is, but some went back to 19.99 unless I saw DVDs =/

it's late here on east coast...

omgkitty

I think some flicks were flashing in at 14.99, Letter Never Sent still is, but some went back to 19.99 unless I saw DVDs =/

it's late here on east coast...

The one's at 14.99, like Letter Never Sent and Summer Interlude are supposed to be that price. They are bare bones releases and normally only cost $20 instead of the normal $28, meaning on sale they go for $14.99.

Picked up Late Spring, The Killing, and Paths of Glory. Really tempted to also get The 39 Steps, The Lady Vanishes, and Tokyo Drifter.

codhand

The one's at 14.99, like Letter Never Sent and Summer Interlude are supposed to be that price. They are bare bones releases and normally only cost $20 instead of the normal $28, meaning on sale they go for $14.99.

Ah ok, yeah they seem to lack Special Feats, on those...Still pretty cool.

Definitely got my eye on that Czech set too.

Top Bottom