• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2012/13: Why haven't they released *insert title here*?

FnordChan

My DVD copy of The Royal Tenenbaums went AWOL a while back, so I'll happily replace it with the Blu-ray edition. Woo!

FnordChan

omgkitty

I have been ridiculously disappointed with their releases over the past four or five months.

I feel the same way. While they have released several titles that are great, nothing really stands out as a marquee. I think they have been more focused on adding new titles and upgrading older releases no one expected (or necessarily wanted). I'm really expecting something amazing for the last few months, especially November.

swoon

and no rievette.

or good films outside of lonesome. though shouldn't they release lupin or fantomas?

if this sparks some interest in dardenne brothers, they fucked up.

codhand

Came to see what people thought of the new Criterion announcements, annd holy shit, Rumble Fish? Why aren't you region free? :-(

157_BD_box_348x490.jpg

Nice. (If only it didn't cost a fortune.)

swoon

La Promesse is great. Haven't seen Rosetta.

i think they are totally workman-like artists. la promesse is like a total non descript tale of childhood abuse. rosetta is mostly the same. i hear their new one isn't as sad, that's a start i guess.

Somebody want to fill me in on Lonesome? It sounds fascinating.

it's a really remarkably film silent movies about love. you can watch it on youtube and on public domain dvds.

KingDirk

it's a really remarkably film silent movies about love. you can watch it on youtube and on public domain dvds.

You sold me. Gonna hold on watching it until it comes in, though. Most of my blind buys Criterion-wise I've absolutely adored, and I still have a huge backlog of movies to get through.

Anybody have any recommendations for movies to watch out for during the potential B&N sale coming up in June? No way in hell am I not picking up The Gold Rush when it comes out, and my girlfriend already pre-ordered the Samurai trilogy blu. My MyCriterion page is here: http://www.criterion.com/my_criterion/62524-kingwillance

omgkitty

You sold me. Gonna hold on watching it until it comes in, though. Most of my blind buys Criterion-wise I've absolutely adored, and I still have a huge backlog of movies to get through.

Anybody have any recommendations for movies to watch out for during the potential B&N sale coming up in June? No way in hell am I not picking up The Gold Rush when it comes out, and my girlfriend already pre-ordered the Samurai trilogy blu. My MyCriterion page is here: http://www.criterion.com/my_criterion/62524-kingwillance

Besides some of the ones you already have, these are titles I feel are must owns for myself. (I only picked blu-ray releases besides Le Samourai)

8 1/2
Le Cercle Rouge
Le Samourai
Army of Shadows
High and Low
The Double Life of Veronique
Revanche
The Killing
12 Angry Men

LCfiner

157_BD_box_348x490.jpg

yeeesssssssssssssssssssss. finally. I watched the DVD recently and it looked so fuzzy. :( plus there was some obvious EE. good to have a new HD version out there.

cj_iwakura

Charade, Robocop, Beastie Boys Video Anthology, and The Rock(seriously) are my favorites.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I was hoping for In the Mood For Love on Blu-Ray, but I'm so glad to see Weekend, especially since I was afraid it wouldn't get a US release.

HiResDes

There are some Bunuel films that are so ridiculously hard to find, and yet no one seems to celebrate his filmography hardly enough as Swoon and I...It's hopeless : (

FnordChan

There are some Bunuel films that are so ridiculously hard to find, and yet no one seems to celebrate his filmography hardly enough as Swoon and I...It's hopeless : (

I'm right there with you guys. I was all set to bitch about how L'Age d'Or needed a Criterion release posthaste, but then I learned that the UK BFI Blu-ray release is region free so, yeah, I'll have to go chat with my pal Amazon.co.uk sometime soon and see if I can get the hook-up.

Fn'Or d'Chan

I love his stuff, but for weird reasons. I feel like stuff like Discreet Charm is a precursor for movies like Airplane.

I know, I know. But I do love them. I feel like that freedom to be absurd inspired everyone from David Lynch to Mel Brooks, what can I say.

Latest newsletter clue indicates a future release of "On the Waterfront." Gotta love some Brando!
tN67M.jpg

From a facebook poster: Brando's character in the movie is a fallen boxer who keeps pigeons as a hobby...'nuff said.

Sleepy

Definitely The Royal Tenenbaums. How are the upcoming Bergman flicks? Fell asleep to Last Year at Marienbad again...

swoon

yea it's real good.

T0LoAl.jpg

the janus poster for daises is amazing. criterion should have given this a full release, rather than half a dvd on a eclipse set.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm just now starting to get into these. I'm mostly familiar with the Japanese stuff which is what got me interested in the Criterion stuff in the first place. Any suggestions? I tend to like stuff made before the 80s and do plan on getting Godzilla soon.

Also, will these become hard to find in later years? I don't want to get Disney'd

I'm just now starting to get into these. I'm mostly familiar with the Japanese stuff which is what got me interested in the Criterion stuff in the first place. Any suggestions? I tend to like stuff made before the 80s and do plan on getting Godzilla soon.

Also, will these become hard to find in later years? I don't want to get Disney'd

If they lose the rights to the film, then yes.

But, as far as I know, they don't just put a film in a vault because they can.

Sleepy

FYI: Costco carries the Criterion Collection...at least a few. I saw The Thin Red Line, 12 Angry Men, The Last Emperor, and Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence: all for $20. YMMV.

Also: June 5th B&N are having a buy 2 get 1 free sale in their DVD section. Still not that great for CC: 26.66 a film.

omgkitty

FYI: Costco carries the Criterion Collection...at least a few. I saw The Thin Red Line, 12 Angry Men, The Last Emperor, and Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence: all for $20. YMMV.

Also: June 5th B&N are having a buy 2 get 1 free sale in their DVD section. Still not that great for CC: 26.66 a film.

WTH it's a B2G1 instead of 50% off....such crap especially seeing as they charge over what places like Amazon charge on a normal basis. If anyone want's some good deals, Amazon has a lot of titles at 50% off right now.

I received an HDTV from a friend and just realized I can start my Criterion collection!
Bought 7 Samurai for 20 on Amazon. Is the Darjeeling Limited worth it?

Guzim

Just ordered The Killing and Paths of Glory. I believe The Killing comes with Killer's Kiss so my Kubrick collection is complete!

Sleepy

The Darjeeling Limited is really good. It gets better on repeat viewings too. Blu-ray version looks fantastic too.

My favorite Criterion edition! So many small things which lead to big things in that film. Simply glorious. (Well, Revanche is stunner, too.)

What's with all the bad image/visual reviews for Malchovich?

What did any of you guys think of The Ruling Class, those who've seen it? I watched it for the first time quite recently—definitely based off of a play, but expertly-directed and well-presented for an old Criterion release.

What did any of you guys think of The Ruling Class, those who've seen it? I watched it for the first time quite recently—definitely based off of a play, but expertly-directed and well-presented for an old Criterion release.

The Peter O'Toole movie? I quite liked it. Would be nice to see it on Blu-Ray

I want to see The Stunt Man get picked up by Criterion soon. Severin's got it at the moment, but it's going to be a classic some-day, and Criterion's up for the job.

XShagrath

Here's the upcoming titles..

141_BD_box_348x490.jpg

626_BD_box_348x490.jpg

627_box_348x490_BD.jpg

625_BD_box_348x490.jpg

201_BD_box_348x490.jpg

Excited for The Game! Umberto D. is also another one I really enjoyed (if you can call it that).

Top Bottom