• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2012/13: Why haven't they released *insert title here*?

omgkitty

Picked up Late Spring, The Killing, and Paths of Glory. Really tempted to also get The 39 Steps, The Lady Vanishes, and Tokyo Drifter.

All great choices. I can't wait for the inevitable late July drive over to Barnes and Noble to buy 3 or 4 more movies I don't need. *sigh*

I really wanted to get Solaris, Harold and Maude, and the Darjeeling Limited.
Unfortunately, I was reminded by my girlfriend that we were going on vacation soon and needed to save money.

:c :c :c

When was the last time they did this sale?

Want those Criterion Blu-Rays/DVDs of Godzilla, The Gold Rush, Mon Oncle, and Le Samourai so bad....but I have to save money for PAX so my hands are tied.

omgkitty

I really wanted to get Solaris, Harold and Maude, and the Darjeeling Limited.
Unfortunately, I was reminded by my girlfriend that we were going on vacation soon and needed to save money.

:c :c :c

When was the last time they did this sale?

Every July and November. Sometimes Criterion will do a random sale or Amazon will.

swoon

haul:

Pearls of the Czech New Wave
Three Popular Films by Jean-Pierre Gorin
Rules of the Game

Raymond Bernard
Samurai Trilogy
Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles

omgkitty

haul:

Pearls of the Czech New Wave
Three Popular Films by Jean-Pierre Gorin
Rules of the Game

Raymond Bernard
Samurai Trilogy
Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles

I can always count on you to buy things I would never consider! (Yes, I am an ignorant film noob) I also now find it very hard to buy anything strictly on DVD knowing full well that most of this stuff will be released on blu-ray eventually (besides the Eclipse sets).

TJ Bennett

TJ Hooker
I just couldn't resist one more order ...

Samurai Trilogy (Blu-ray)
Pearls of the Czech New Wave (DVD)
Postwar Kurosawa (DVD)

Total (Before Tax) = $70

swoon

I can always count on you to buy things I would never consider! (Yes, I am an ignorant film noob) I also now find it very hard to buy anything strictly on DVD knowing full well that most of this stuff will be released on blu-ray eventually (besides the Eclipse sets).

yea i'm holding off on fassbinder and rohmer because of that. but i think my other dvd picks were pretty safe. they are sneaking out some really wonderful stuff on eclipse like:

Larisa Shepitko : two perfect films 14.99 during this sale. riyl: malick, come and see
Aki Kaurismäki’s Proletariat Trilogy : riyl: coen brothers, godard, preston sturges
Nikkatsu Noir riyl: toyko drifer, kill bill

codhand

omgkitty

yea i'm holding off on fassbinder and rohmer because of that. but i think my other dvd picks were pretty safe. they are sneaking out some really wonderful stuff on eclipse like:

Larisa Shepitko : two perfect films 14.99 during this sale. riyl: malick, come and see
Aki Kaurismäki’s Proletariat Trilogy : riyl: coen brothers, godard, preston sturges
Nikkatsu Noir riyl: toyko drifer, kill bill

I really did like Le Havre and Kaurismäki is Haruki Murakami's favorite director. I may need to pick up that set, which also reminds me that I do have a Hulu Plus account I never use, which is a lie because I watched Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters on Saturday night and it was wonderful.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Is Army of Shadows late Melville? I really liked Bob and Samourai.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Fuck, did the B2G1 end at midnight? I was deciding on a 6th film, refreshed, and the total went way up.

Fuck.

Daigoro

shit. too many that i want. crazy sale. dont no if ill get in under the B2G1 though.

edit: yep B2G1 is OVER. bah.

screw it i can just pick up some titles in store over the next few weeks. ill be all set.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Went from getting 6 to getting nothing since most of these prices aren't much better than Amazon and I didn't really have the money anyways.

Damn, I missed the b2g1. Oh well, I picked up the Late Ozu eclipse set for $31. That is the only thing I really wanted anyways. Turns out to be about $6.40 a movie.

I made a mistake converting time zones and therefore have missed the B2G1 goddamit....

Still, since planetaxel is no more, I've ordered 3 BR I really really wanted, namely Days of Heaven, Seven Samurais and Seventh seal.

Let's see how this fares when ordering from Europe...

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Is Army of Shadows late Melville? I really liked Bob and Samourai.

I liked Le Samourai, but found Le Cercle Rouge a bit slow. Army of Shadows is slower than that. It's a snail of a movie. It might be good, and I've lost much of my patience for movies like this as of late, but I couldn't get through the first half hour.

Have you used them before?
Customs charges are a given I'm assuming?

Nope, first time. Used planetaxel before, with no problem. To be honest I'm hoping to avoid them but let's say I'll treat this order as an experiment.

All your music store @amazon.co.uk seem to have a pretty nice stock of Criterion BR at the moment by the way.

Fake edit : Jesus tapdancing christ I missed the 15% code too. This is not my day.

omgkitty

I liked Le Samourai, but found Le Cercle Rouge a bit slow. Army of Shadows is slower than that. It's a snail of a movie. It might be good, and I've lost much of my patience for movies like this as of late, but I couldn't get through the first half hour.

All 3 of those films are absolutely stunning. Melville is a god.

I'm SUPER sad, is there any chance they will bring back the B2G1 ?

Not likely. Chances are they probably didn't want the B2G1 sale on while the Criterion sale was starting, but someone forgot to turn it off.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Sale sucks. They had so many 50% off sales on Criterion's website and Amazon had a lot for like 45-50% over the past 6 months that there's nothing left. I'll grab Malcovich, the other one I want is Tennenbaums but it's after the sale.

Nope, first time. Used planetaxel before, with no problem. To be honest I'm hoping to avoid them but let's say I'll treat this order as an experiment.

All your music store @amazon.co.uk seem to have a pretty nice stock of Criterion BR at the moment by the way.

Fake edit : Jesus tapdancing christ I missed the 15% code too. This is not my day.

I'm still gutted that Planetaxel have gone, I discovered them too late :(
I'm tempted to jump in on this offer but possible customs alongside my lack of restraint are scaring me away... Hmmm...

I'll check out the Amazon seller, thanks for the tip :)

codhand

My B&N orders shipped, woot can't wait for the Czech set above all else, Gaf you better be right :p, also Daises is playing at BAM right now in Brooklyn, NYC...

omgkitty

My B&N orders shipped, woot can't wait for the Czech set above all else, Gaf you better be right :p, also Daises is playing at BAM right now in Brooklyn, NYC...

Yeah, I love how I got an email saying my order shipped last night and then this morning got an email saying that Summer Interlude had been delayed. Not sure how that happened but whatevs. I should just be happy B&N actually shipped my stuff out in a timely manner.

My order was cancelled. 7 out of the 9 titles couldn't be fulfilled, so they cancelled everything. They are claiming that their website doesn't show what is in or out of stock, that the publisher and warehouse control this, and there is nothing they can do. Because I ordered during a promo (B2G1), which is now expired, they can't fulfill the deal. They told me that I can reorder the 2 remaining titles, but when I asked if they would be in stock and be fulfilled, they couldn't guarantee this. And even though I could reorder them since the website says they are in stock, I have no way of knowing whether this is true or not.

Horseshit.

Sorry for the double post. I sent an email to Criterion regarding this issue since they might want to know what Barnes and Noble told me, and are planning on telling anyone else who has their order cancelled in the coming days.

Hi Jon Mulvaney:
I thought it would be prudent to share with you my experience when trying to purchase some Criterion movies from one of your authorized sellers, Barnes and Noble.com. If you want to skip to the part that directly concerns Criterion, skip below to the paragraph that begins "THE IMPORTANT PART".

On the night of July 9th, Barnes and Noble's website started a sale for 50% off any in stock Criterion title, along with a temporary Buy 2 Get 1 Free special. During this time, I ordered 9 titles for a total price of $141.38:
The Last Temptation of Christ
Gojira
Broadcast News
The Wages of Fear
Black Narcissus
The Night of the Hunter
Anatomy of a Murder
Carlos
12 Angry Men

The cause for writing you this email is to inform you of what happened later. Barnes and Noble continued to take orders and list items as "in stock" on their website long after they ran out of supply. They continued to allow people to place orders and complete orders knowing full well that they weren't in stock. As a result, my order was cancelled days later in a generic automated response without any details on why it was cancelled. Only an 1-800 phone number was supplied for anyone having additional questions.

After calling the number, I was informed that some of the titles I ordered had "thousands" of requests, and that they didn't have anywhere near enough stock to fulfill these orders, and that, like myself, these people would be receiving emails in the coming days to inform them that their orders would be cancelled. The only option given to me, and presumably the others that will be receiving the same email, is to reorder the titles that are in stock. However, because this constitutes as a new order, the Buy 2 Get 1 Free order that has no expired would not be honored, and because the website still lists the titles that I was told were out of stock as "in stock", there is still no way to determine what titles can actually be ordered and fulfilled.

THE IMPORTANT PART in all of this is that both the customer service representative and the supervisor informed me that it is your fault, Criterion's, that titles are shown as in stock on the website when the warehouses have no possible way to fulfill the orders. Both people are placing the blame on Criterion, that it is Criterion's duty to manually update the Barnes and Noble website to show what items are or are not in stock.

I want to make it clear that I don't put any blame on you folks at Criterion; I don't trust Barnes and Noble at all and will not be ordering from them ever again. However, they are placing undue blame on you, and if people call Barnes and Noble customer support as I did and believe the account I was told, I could see it damaging Criterion, which would be entirely unfair.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I got my first disc from the sale in the mail today, And Everything Is Going Fine. It's that fantastic Spalding Gray doc, if you're at all a fan of his you really gotta see it.

Top Bottom