• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2012/13: Why haven't they released *insert title here*?

omgkitty

Really sad to hear about Chris Marker. Everyone should go out and buy La Jatee / Sans Soleil. Also, the Criterion sale ends today!

Chris Marker created such a huge body of work, it's pretty overwhelming honestly.
What's the best way of going about seeing some of his stuff.
Not much seems to be available from what I can tell.....

codhand

Grand Illusion is out (REGION A) today via Studio Canal

Criterion lost the rights to the film awhile back, so no point waiting for a Criterion edition.

The reviews are already available--at the websites below--as Studio Canal released the BD in Europe months ago.

http://www.blu-ray.com

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/

Looks good, definitely on my list as I have the Criterion DVD and am wanting to upgrade, just gotta recharge my wallet from that BN sale....

I've read in past threads that the Studio Canal releases aren't as comprehensive and wholesome as the average Criterion release. What do people think of the SC stuff?

omgkitty

I've read in past threads that the Studio Canal releases aren't as comprehensive and wholesome as the average Criterion release. What do people think of the SC stuff?

The only one I have any experience with is The Third Man disc mainly because the Criterion release was already above $100 when I went to get a copy. The picture isn't as good and a slight section of the image has been cut off on the sides. It's passable, but not as good as the Criterion release. I have heard this is a good edition for La Grande Illusion, but Criterion doesn't have an edition to compare to this time, so who knows how good it could be?

As a rule I always assume SC stuff sucks donkey ass. Kagemusha and Ran are good examples of horrible quality/transfer and the reasons I make inquiries before purchasing their BRs.

They're also usually terribly weak on extras, booklets are thin/non existent and packaging is meh.

That being said, I have quite a few of their discs because you can get them for very cheap in France when there's a sale (around 6€). IIRC Belle de Jour, le Cercle Rouge, Pierrot le Fou, le Mépris, Delicatessen, the Third Man, Elephant Man, the Graduate should be ok.

Pathé on the other hand can both make wonders (Rififi or The Leopard, which better than the Criterion) or fail miserably (le Samourai).

But if you want to compare Criterion to an European publisher playing in the same league, head right this way :) http://eurekavideo.co.uk/moc/catalogue/

swoon

didn't criterion stop doing extras on releases anyway? most of the new full releases i've bought might as well be barebones, not even commentaries just normally interviews from european tv shows.

kino is releasing two wonderful derek jarman films, sebastiane and the tempest on blu-ray this week. everyone should pick those up. though i'm not sure why kino or criterion aren't releasing his major works, though criterion on issuing the awful jubilee just boggles my mind.

codhand

As a rule I always assume SC stuff sucks donkey ass. Kagemusha and Ran are good examples of horrible quality/transfer and the reasons I make inquiries before purchasing their BRs.

They're also usually terribly weak on extras, booklets are thin/non existent and packaging is meh.

I have quite a few of their discs because you can get them for very cheap in France when there's a sale (around 6€). IIRC Belle de Jour, le Cercle Rouge, Pierrot le Fou, le Mépris, Delicatessen, the Third Man, Elephant Man, the Graduate should be ok.

I think if you compare the Studio Canal releases to their Criterion counterpart, Criterion will win, but even then there are exceptions like Le Cercle Rouge which has better picture quality on the SC version. They also release Region A versions of films like Delicatessen and Elephant Man, that wouldn't be released otherwise.
voJCE.jpg

didn't criterion stop doing extras on releases anyway?

Not at all, unless we have different definitions of "Criterion" and "Extras".

Yeah, that's why I only said that I assume they'll be shit. Just need to investigate before buying. The 2 Kurosawas were so terrible I just cannot buy anything from them blindly like I do with MoC.

And it's true SC has a pretty bad reputation in France.

In the end, I own 11 titles out of that list.

Then again, being a region B person myself, I have different struggles ;)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I really respect that all criterion extras are in HD, and if it's an SD extra they really make sure it scales beautifully. So if there are fewer than usual these days I'm fine with it, since what ends up on there is still a really nice find and great quality.

omgkitty

Talking about these StudioCanal titles, I figured I would show you guys what I ordered yesterday. Just thought it was a great mix!

7687696098_ae420e9863.jpg

Ridley327

Not that it's a surprise at this point, but the Criterion newsletter teaser image is an entirely unsubtle Heaven's Gate reference. Should be coming sooner rather than later then, which is good!

Ridley327

Thank you for the StudioCanal commentary, bad duders. Definitely going to stick to Criterion, MoC, and other boutiques like Kino and Severin (mainly for The Stunt Man)

Severin really needs to fix their release scheduling; they do an amazing job with their big releases, but they're so far and few between. It's August, and they've only had three releases this year, all of them a part of their Intervision imprint. :(

omgkitty

This. I think she's the main reason I kept watching United States of Tara.

I haven't seen the show, but while watch 21 Jump Street and the whole time thinking "Why is this guy going after a high school girl and no one says anything because he's 10 years older than her!". But I just look at her and think "I would totally do the same thing!". She's 22 in the real world though, so it's all good! haha

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
didn't criterion stop doing extras on releases anyway? most of the new full releases i've bought might as well be barebones, not even commentaries just normally interviews from european tv shows.

kino is releasing two wonderful derek jarman films, sebastiane and the tempest on blu-ray this week. everyone should pick those up. though i'm not sure why kino or criterion aren't releasing his major works, though criterion on issuing the awful jubilee just boggles my mind.

Jubilee is the reason why I am put off on Derek Jarman and haven't gotten around to his other works. After seeing Prospero's Books a couple of months ago, I am all for watching other avant-garde versions of the Tempest even though I doubt Jarman's Tempest is not as inaccessible as Prospero's Books. I might just add it to my Amazon check out today after getting some computer parts.

swoon

Jubilee is the reason why I am put off on Derek Jarman and haven't gotten around to his other works. After seeing Prospero's Books a couple of months ago, I am all for watching other avant-garde versions of the Tempest even though I doubt Jarman's Tempest is not as inaccessible as Prospero's Books. I might just add it to my Amazon check out today after getting some computer parts.

tempest is the best of those two - i think his work with tilda is his prime so - carvaggio (on streaming), edward II are my favorite works by him. all of his recontexualizing of classic works are worth checking out though.

it's a lot different take on the play than prospero, for sure but rewarding.

swoon

that last review is pretty awful, but both films are worth watching. hopefully they'll release more of his work.

jerry1594

RIP Chris Marker

"The great French director and writer, Chris Marker, died in Paris on Sunday at the age of 91. He is often credited as the godfather of the essay film, a blend of documentary and personal reflection. Many well-known directors such as, Jean-Luc Godard, Jean-Marie Straub and Michael Moore have based their work on Marker’s innovation."

http://www.english.rfi.fr/france/20120730-famed-french-film-maker-chris-marker-dies-91

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/jul/30/film-maker-chris-marker-dies?newsfeed=true

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd-la-jetee-sans-soleil/23167777

shame

omgkitty

Criterion's rights for the Tati films are apparently close to expiring, so there's a possibility they might be putting the Blu upgrades on the fast track in order to get a batch out into the market before they're no longer able to produce them.

Well I know they already lost Trafic. I think they should just throw all the Tati's into a set and release them.

I've been enjoying some of the "DVD closet" vids they've put up on their YT channel. Some of them are rare profound, like the sessions with Robert Downey Sr. and Wim Wenders. And some are just silly, like the first video with Guy Maddin. It seems that several company employees do these vids for fun, since a couple of them posted a best-of from lastyear's CES, too.

In other news: my father ordered Paris, Texas—which finally came in, with part of the box damaged during shipping. He got on a whim, though we have a non-CC release of Wings of Desire, and he loves Harry Dean Stanton and Nastassja Kinski to heaven and hell.

omgkitty

I've been enjoying some of the "DVD closet" vids they've put up on their YT channel. Some of them are rare profound, like the sessions with Robert Downey Sr. and Wim Wenders. And some are just silly, like the first video with Guy Maddin. It seems that several company employees do these vids for fun, since a couple of them posted a best-of from lastyear's CES, too.

In other news: my father ordered Paris, Texas—which finally came in, with part of the box damaged during shipping. He got on a whim, though we have a non-CC release of Wings of Desire, and he loves Harry Dean Stanton and Nastassja Kinski to heaven and hell.

If you email Criterion, they will totally replace the box for you.

Also some rumors flying around that Rashomon will be announced tomorrow!

bowery

just watched spirit of the beehive, me liked, next up is paris texas and still have to finish the rest of ikiru since i only watched half

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Speaking of Maddin, I sure wouldn't mind seeing Saddest Music in the World on Criterion...

Top Bottom