• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2012/13: Why haven't they released *insert title here*?

codhand

Also some rumors flying around that Rashomon will be announced tomorrow!

Yep, heard this floated too, it was my number two behind Grand Illusion which just saw its Studio Canal release.

Kurosawa is my favorite director, and although Rashomon falls behind Seven Samurai for me as his best work, Rashomon was the first film of his that I saw, so it would be beyond awesome for this to be announced today.

Also, I saw Mifune in Samurai III last night, TMC for those that have cable TV, is pretty awesome, I slept.

They had a mini James Cagney marathon last night, I DVR'd White Heat.

and he loves Harry Dean Stanton and Nastassja Kinski to heaven and hell.

Sounds like he's gotta see One from the Heart (1982) Coppola, Stanton, Kinski. Underrated film.

omgkitty

What's everyone hoping for today? November is always the huge month for Criterion, and I'm hoping this year will be no different. Normally we get some sort of collection, so it will be interesting to see what that is. I'm hoping for some more Kurosawa (we've had none this year!) and some more Melville.

Zia

What's everyone hoping for today? November is always the huge month for Criterion, and I'm hoping this year will be no different. Normally we get some sort of collection, so it will be interesting to see what that is. I'm hoping for some more Kurosawa (we've had none this year!) and some more Melville.

They've hinted that they're announcing a film from 1950 today, so Rashomon would seem likely. I hope so. I've also been pretty desperate for some Kurosawa.

omgkitty

Trilogy of Life and Heaven's Gate will probably be announced. Maybe some Tati titles. Here is hoping to Two Lane Blacktop.

Completely forgot about that. I also really hope that Heaven's Gate doesn't get announced. Chances are it won't get announced yet as they normally wait several months before releasing titles they've hinted at in the newsletters. I also have no interest in seeing the film at all.

omgkitty

Last November was:

Fanny & Alexander
Three Colors Trilogy
Rules of the game
12 Angry Men
Rushmore

227839420.gif

I own all of those.

omgkitty

Those are all good, I just wonder of them all, 12 Angry Men is more about the acting than the visual aesthetics. Takes place in one room..basically, how are the special features on it?

TBH I haven't watched any of the supplements, but the film is outstanding, especially considering the fact that it's set in one room. The transfer is also gorgeous. Here's the list of supplements:

Frank Schaffner’s 1955 teleplay of 12 Angry Men, from the series Studio One, featuring an introduction by Ron Simon, curator at the Paley Center for Media
Production history of 12 Angry Men, from teleplay to big-screen classic

Archival interviews with director Sidney Lumet

New interview with screenwriter Walter Bernstein about Lumet

New interview with Simon about writer Reginald Rose

New interview with cinematographer John Bailey in which he discusses cinematographer Boris Kaufman

Tragedy in a Temporary Town (1956), a teleplay directed by Lumet and written by Rose
New interview with cinematographer John Bailey about director of photography Boris Kaufman

Original theatrical trailer

codhand

TBH I haven't watched any of the supplements, but the film is outstanding, especially considering the fact that it's set in one room. The transfer is also gorgeous. Here's the list of supplements:

I have Lumet's The Sea Gull at home on DVR, ever seen that one? I have seen good camera work in one setting, Street Scene 1931 by King Vidor, and I saw that film more recently than 12 Angry Men, so 12 Angry Men probably is pretty dynamic in terms of camera movement.

Special Feats sound good though, still, I love a good commentary. I also love to hear about how amazeballs Henry Fonda was.

So funny I just watched all these. The Lumet background stuff is fantastic, and it also has the original TV version. So worth it. Sean Phillips' stunning work on the cover is just icing on the cake.

omgkitty

Damnit! I knew I should have bought Le Samourai on DVD already. Probably would have guaranteed a blu-ray release if I had!

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Another unmissable Eclipse set that too many people will pass up because it's DVD-only. Sadface.

The Rashomon artwork was available as a poster in their shop for almost a year, but it looks like they've since pulled it.

omgkitty

For all of the people here who love the Rashomon cover, and never knew that it was a poster, it's not for sale on Criterion's site any more, but you can buy it here.

codhand

Yeah that Eclipse set I'm reading about now...never heard of it.

http://cinematicdamnation.blogspot.com/2008/12/shochiku-horror-retrospective.html

This was cool at the end of the article:

"A Shochiku sci-fi/horror film boxed set from Criterion in the spirit of their Bergman and Teshigahara box sets would be the coolest fucking thing ever! Criterion, please, I'd not only buy something like that, I'd pre-order it four months ahead of time!" -2008

Well four months from now is when it comes out, hopefully whoever wrote that is still around.

Amalthea

Banned
From Godzilla to The X from Outer Space? That's quite a steep descent into the the bottom of the barrel as far as Kaiju movies go.

DAT Rashomon. Definitely going to watch Heaven's Gate before making a commitment, though it has a good box cover too. Both Weekend and the Shociku set are looking great as well.

Going to investigate my father's order for Paris, Texas, since I don't know if Mulvaney can take in copies ordered from sites other than Criterion.

Wow that now makes it eleven new wave Godard films in the collection.

In fact excluding parts in portmanteau films and early shorts there are actually only four early Godard's left:

Le Petit Soldat
Les Carabiniers
Une Femme Mariée (already released by MoC)
La Chinoise

and Criterion have been rumoured to have had plans to release Le Petit Soldat and Les Carabiniers for years now, as was long said about Weekend which we're finally getting.
Hopefully it's just a matter of time before these remainders do get released!

EDIT: Looking over the specs Criterion seemed to have dropped the ball on Weekend and Heaven's Gate in terms of supplements.
The upcoming Rosemary's Baby is uninteresting in this respect also.
Is it me or are their special features on the whole comparatively weaker since they began releasing Blu-Rays?

swoon

Wow that now makes it eleven new wave Godard films in the collection.

In fact excluding parts in portmanteau films and early shorts there are actually only four early Godard's left:

Le Petit Soldat
Les Carabiniers
Une Femme Mariée (already released by MoC)
La Chinoise

and Criterion have been rumoured to have had plans to release Le Petit Soldat and Les Carabiniers for years now, as was long said about Weekend which we're finally getting.
Hopefully it's just a matter of time before these remainders do get released!

EDIT: Looking over the specs Criterion seemed to have dropped the ball on Weekend and Heaven's Gate in terms of supplements.
The upcoming Rosemary's Baby is uninteresting in this respect also.
Is it me or are their special features on the whole comparatively weaker since they began releasing Blu-Rays?

They are getting worse and worse.

Also they should try and sell people on mid period Godard. They've also lost the rights to some of the films they released on DVD

omgkitty

While I enjoy having the supplements, I find I almost never watch them. Unless it's a film I really enjoyed or have seen before, I will almost always just look through them after I watch the film, but normally won't sit there for more than 15 to 20 minutes before I turn it off. Of course, every person is different. I can see why people would have an issue with it though.

swoon

Well if they are going to release super obvious films with no extras they aren't worth a premium price. Especially because they are no longer taste makers

Jimothy

While I enjoy having the supplements, I find I almost never watch them. Unless it's a film I really enjoyed or have seen before, I will almost always just look through them after I watch the film, but normally won't sit there for more than 15 to 20 minutes before I turn it off. Of course, every person is different. I can see why people would have an issue with it though.

I usually find commentary tracks better than making of stuff. You basically have all the informative BTS stuff distilled into an (hopefully) entertaining 2 hours.

I don't like talking-head interview and documentaries all that much, but Criterion's supplements are consistently worthwhile. A shame that these Winter releases are lacking in supplements—they better be comprehensive enough, and interesting to view.

Top Bottom