• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2012/13: Why haven't they released *insert title here*?

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
It's just that last time they told us to get excited it was: *sirens* OBSCURE ARTHOUSE MOVIE FROM 1966 NO ONE HAS HEARD OF GET HYPE *sirens*

Big for me would be Joan of Arc on Blu, big for swoon is... well, it's what I said above.

It's just that last time they told us to get excited it was: *sirens* OBSCURE ARTHOUSE MOVIE FROM 1966 NO ONE HAS HEARD OF GET HYPE *sirens*

Big for me would be Joan of Arc on Blu, big for swoon is... well, it's what I said above.

You drawing lines son?!?!

Team Swoon.

Ridley327

Saw them up on Something Awful's Criterion thread, which has been pretty fucking good at getting scoops like this in the past:

nyfvt.jpg

7XDET.jpg

d2OCC.jpg

8NSIs.jpg

That Badlands cover is a tragedy; they really should have just used the poster art.

codhand

Saw them up on Something Awful's Criterion thread, which has been pretty fucking good at getting scoops like this in

That Badlands cover is a tragedy; they really should have just used the poster art.

I dig it.

The Fritz Lang one is awesome, I buy all silent BDs so that's a day one.

Borgnine

I guess that's a big deal. Maybe just for them so they don't have to hear people asking about it anymore.

Yeah: Warner Bros. just love keeping the good stuff to themselves. I can't blame them, but they should provide more care for their classic releases, something that Criterion usually does well.

Ridley327

Yeah: Warner Bros. just love keeping the good stuff to themselves. I can't blame them, but they should provide more care for their classic releases, something that Criterion usually does well.

It's not really a matter of WB keeping all the good stuff for themselves, really; it's that they keep all the stuff, period, which makes it frustrating since they're sitting on so many titles that they have no intentions of doing anything with.

Shiv47

If Criterion could get Warner to license The Devils to them (on Blu-ray, I should add, already have the BFI disc), then I'll consider it a big deal. That, or Ambersons. Otherwise, it's another month where there are some fine releases, but nothing I'm going to buy right away.

Ridley327

Any possibility of Zodiac getting a Criterion release? I refuse to pay lots of money for a copy on blu-ray lol

It's got a better chance than most, since Paramount has no intentions of doing anything more with it and Fincher is as buddy-buddy with Criterion as a filmmaker can get, but I can't imagine how they would add anything to it; the director's cut is one of the most stacked discs out there.

That Blimp cover looks amazing. But there aren't any commentaries in this new batch—hmm. I wonder if Criterion fully believes in video essays more so than commentaries these days. I also don't know if they're sacrificing supplements for ulterior reasons, or simply focusing on different kinds of supplements.

swoon

I'm on Team Enjoys Films. I like good stuff. You guys being super picky are dicks.

i mean good films exist with or without criterion. olive films has been picking up criterion's slack all year.

anyway i dunno what was suppose to be big - maybe if they didn't already announce badlands like 4 months ago.

also i think everyone argued with me that they still produced worthwhile extras...and here we are..

Delighted to see Ivan's Childhood BR coming next month.

Is there any chance of Tarkovsky's Stalker eventually coming to CC and/or blu-ray? That one is begging for BR treatment.

omgkitty

i mean good films exist with or without criterion. olive films has been picking up criterion's slack all year.

anyway i dunno what was suppose to be big - maybe if they didn't already announce badlands like 4 months ago.

also i think everyone argued with me that they still produced worthwhile extras...and here we are..

See I'm one of those people that doesn't care that much about extras. I almost never watch them unless it's a film I really love, and usually it's a making of that I enjoy the most. I care more about the film quality than how many supplements a disc has. I do think some of the discs should be sold at the $20 price if they have fewer supplements though.

Borgnine

Is there any chance of Tarkovsky's Stalker eventually coming to CC and/or blu-ray? That one is begging for BR treatment.

From my intensive cursory internet research I did a little while ago, the consensus seems to be "no chance in hell."

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
One film I'll never see on this label is Mickey One, since Sony has the home video rights to that and also likes to hold onto its grabs.

Well, you can get Mickey One through Sony's on-demand pressing... I mean, good movies are still good movies regardless of who releases them, right? Just look at Olive Films and Twilight Time releases throughout this year: they've been kicking Criterion's ass quite soundly.

It's got a better chance than most, since Paramount has no intentions of doing anything more with it and Fincher is as buddy-buddy with Criterion as a filmmaker can get, but I can't imagine how they would add anything to it; the director's cut is one of the most stacked discs out there.

Warner is now distributing the Paramount catalog, so that oop Zodiac BR isn't likely to be unavailable for much longer. And yeah, there's no chance Criterion could do anything more substantial with that set. It's about as comprehensive as it gets.

Borgnine

How come? :(

I don't know, I said it was cursory. I don't know who has the rights, it looks like Kino sells the DVD but that doesn't necessarily mean they can do a Blu-ray. There's people that are way more in to these legal things than I am though. I just remember looking it up and then having to lie in a fetal position for a bit because I was so discouraged.

Ridley327

Well, you can get Mickey One through Sony's on-demand pressing... I mean, good movies are still good movies regardless of who releases them, right? Just look at Olive Films and Twilight Time releases throughout this year: they've been kicking Criterion's ass quite soundly.

Warner is now distributing the Paramount catalog, so that oop Zodiac BR isn't likely to be unavailable for much longer. And yeah, there's no chance Criterion could do anything more substantial with that set. It's about as comprehensive as it gets.

Warner has the Paramount stuff that Criterion didn't already license? Welp.

Top Bottom