• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2012/13: Why haven't they released *insert title here*?

I finally got access to my Criterion haul this Xmas.

Playtime's just the most wonderful demo for a home theatre. It's humorous, satirical, and allows curious viewers everything and anything they'd like to see. I've got many more movies to get through, but this release alone should last me a week with its supplements in tow!

I was given Bicycle Thieves for Christmas which was all good until I opened it and discovered it had no booklet!

I know Criterion typically replace books/cases in similar instances... but I'm in England.
Does this mean I'm screwed?

I've emailed anyway, just impatiently wondering.....

Criterion's New Years hints:
XXHfU.png

Criterion Cast's guesses:
A. Harold Lloyd – Safety Last
B. 3:10 To Yuma
C. Roman Polanski’s The Tenant
D. Robert Aldrich’s Autumn Leaves / Autumn Sonata
E. Chaplin’s The Circus / Fellini’s La Strada / Pierre Etaix
F. Repo Man?
G. Scanners
H. Gate Of Hell
I. The Devil’s Backbone / Lord Of The Flies
J. Babette’s Feast
K. Oshima’s Boy
L. David Lynch’s Eraserhead
M. The Professional / Le Samourai / Chaplin’s The Kid / Cage Aux Folles

Boy would be freaking awesome.

Ridley327

Wow, someone managed to figure out the rights problems for Scanners. Last I had heard, it got so messy that they just wound up turning it over to the Canadian government just to be done with it.

Ridley327

Not all of those "multi-hint" answers are all legit, right? For instance, I can't imagine Sony ever wanting to part with Leon/The Professional.

Nah, sometimes the clear hints don't even come to fruition. A year or two ago they hinted at a Wild Strawberries upgrade, but it hasn't happened yet. A lot of them do come true though.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Huh, Scanners. That's a pretty cool one that certainly needed the work. Don't really get why they're doing Safety Last, though. Just get the jam-packed Lloyd boxset for about twice the price of this one release with like 60 hours of content to boot. Oh well, anything to bring him to the attention of more people and cement his status as best silent comedian dude.

It'll sell more than Boy, though. Film's one of the most well-known foreign movies out there. And it's pretty good for what it is.

Really ? (edit : woah, sold more than 8 million tickets in the US ?! mind blown). It probably was an important step when it came out but over here it kinda has a dowdy and very dated feel to it now. Still very popular I guess. I'm surely not overly fond of Michel Serrault's performance (an otherwise fantastic actor) playing such a caricature. Lack of subtlety would be an understatement but maybe it comes across more strongly in French.

It's not the best movie I've ever seen, but it isn't offensive and probably very re-watchable. Tognazzi clearly provides the best performance in the whole film—that man's a beast.

It's not the best movie I've ever seen, but it isn't offensive and probably very re-watchable. Tognazzi clearly provides the best performance in the whole film—that man's a beast.

Haven't seen it in a long time but I remember finding it pretty offensive. I guess the French title says it all : closest translation I can come up with is "Sissies' (or poofters' ?) cage"... Well "folle" is a tad less derogatory than "sissy" but it's a close call.

I think the play was better. Anyway, a surprising entry in the criterion lineup.

Ridley327

Wasn't la Cage aux Folles also one of the movies that was listed specifically when they announced the MGM deal? It's always been a matter of when.

It's usually translated as The Birdcage, at least over here in the States.

If Criterion got it in their MGM deal, then that's fine with me. Another title that MGM's got is Iphigenia, another title Criterion ought to get.

swoon

really awesome that that the pierre etaix didn't get relegated to eclipse box set status. though i don't think that cover really hints to anyone what they are buying.

Ridley327

Having not seen the film outside of some small snippets, that cover for Repo Man looks great.

That Naked Lunch upgrade was unexpected, but welcome; it's far from an accessible film, but it's still a worthwhile film just for Cronenberg finding a way to adapt the novel that didn't involve him going to prison.

Repo Man's cover kicks ass, Richard III's looking rather cheap (though still decent box-art), Gate of Hell appears awful, and the Etaix sets got a fitting guise of its own. I'll definitely put my money down for Repo Man, Etaix, and that wonderful looking Kobayashi Eclipse.

big ander

I think I'll want Naked Lunch just to have as much Cronenberg as possible, though I'd rather see a Dead Ringers upgrade (does criterion have the rights to that?).
really awesome that that the pierre etaix didn't get relegated to eclipse box set status. though i don't think that cover really hints to anyone what they are buying.
what would I be buying? It all sounds interesting enough but I can't say I've ever heard of etaix before. Up for trying it though, getting a whole filmography at once is never bad.
Man, The Naked Lunch is fuckin' wild. I really need to read the book sometime.
The book is...something. I couldn't finish it I really want to and might take it out again soon. But it's just so densely wordy and scatter-brained. Which is the appeal, just means it requires more focus. A lot more. I might just pick up a different Burroughs instead.

big ander

IIRC, Dead Ringers is one of the Cronenberg films that WB has the rights to, along with Crash and M. Butterfly.

damn. dead ringers criterion dvd had some cool extras and a really good essay if I remember correctly, those being ported to blu would make it a must-buy. Ah well.

Ridley327

damn. dead ringers criterion dvd had some cool extras and a really good essay if I remember correctly, those being ported to blu would make it a must-buy. Ah well.

Well, you could hold onto the slim hope that they managed to relicense it as a part of their deal with WB for the handful of titles they're getting. WB sure as hell won't be doing us any favors in that regard.

swoon

what would I be buying? It all sounds interesting enough but I can't say I've ever heard of etaix before. Up for trying it though, getting a whole filmography at once is never bad.

they call him a french buster keaton, which i guess he's more keaton than tati but i don't think that's really accurate - but basically silent comedies that subvert french film/societal hangups in the 60s-70s.

i've only see a couple of the films in the set, but they are pretty fun.

http://www.filmforum.org/movies/more/pierre_etaix - trailer here from when these new restorations is pretty good overview of his humor

Mifune

Mehmber
I think I'll want Naked Lunch just to have as much Cronenberg as possible, though I'd rather see a Dead Ringers upgrade (does criterion have the rights to that?).

I might be alone on this one but I'd love to see someone revisit The Dead Zone. I think it's one of Cronenberg's most underrated movies. Fairly straightforward for him (obviously), but subtly creepy and deeply sad. Walken just breaks my heart.

big ander

they call him a french buster keaton, which i guess he's more keaton than tati but i don't think that's really accurate - but basically silent comedies that subvert french film/societal hangups in the 60s-70s.

i've only see a couple of the films in the set, but they are pretty fun.

http://www.filmforum.org/movies/more/pierre_etaix - trailer here from when these new restorations is pretty good overview of his humor
Heh, this looks pretty great.
I might be alone on this one but I'd love to see someone revisit The Dead Zone. I think it's one of Cronenberg's most underrated movies. Fairly straightforward for him (obviously), but subtly creepy and deeply sad. Walken just breaks my heart.
I need to rewatch it soon. it was my second Cberg after Videodrome and then I didn't see another film of his for a year or more, and while I've rewatched Videodrome I haven't revisited Dead Zone.

A Kobayashi set is great and all, but I think it's about time we get some more Ichikawa films. He's seriously underrepresented. As is Mizoguchi.

Also, wasn't A Brighter Summer Day announced last year? I haven't heard anything else about it.

Top Bottom