• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2012/13: Why haven't they released *insert title here*?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Arrow Films rockin' out in region 2.

270913_524009744299691_331748341_n.jpg
269287_524010040966328_1030988238_n.jpg
23326_524010637632935_1396957990_n.jpg
394806_524010894299576_1905589426_n.jpg
304271_524011774299488_1832261123_n.jpg
480103_524012094299456_1059034497_n.jpg
549865_524012480966084_1659137094_n.jpg

swoon

SKufAl4.jpg

Jf0gFIX.jpg

olive films' march lineup

china gate!
ruthless
hell's half acre

sun shines bright depending on which cut it turns out to be.

Ridley327

That Motel Hell cover is gorier than the actual film.

I really hope that Shout! Factory gets their hands on it, since it's totally up their alley.

Ironweed? That's a distinctive release.

I'm interested in Ruthless and China Gate, and they're both on Netflix Instant for convenience's sake. How would you recommend them, Swoon?

swoon

Ironweed? That's a distinctive release.

I'm interested in Ruthless and China Gate, and they're both on Netflix Instant for convenience's sake. How would you recommend them, Swoon?

ruthless is an easier recommendation because it's a solid noir. china gate is a lot of fun in a dirty dozen sort of way - just don't expect anything realistic or not absurdly pro-america.

swoon

i don't remember if this is a spoiler for lord of the flies

piggy gets his glasses broken
and plus they've been hinting at it forever.

also the current blu-ray of straw dogs is good.

swoon

Twilight Time is swinging for the (limited edition) fences in march:

THE FURY (1978) BLU-RAY - March 12th
CHRISTINE (1983) BLU-RAY - March 12th
THE SONG OF BERNADETTE (1943) BLU-RAY - March 26th
MAJOR DUNDEE (1965) BLU-RAY (2-disc set) - April 9th
AT LONG LAST LOVE (1975) BLU-RAY - April 9th
PHILADELPHIA (1993) BLU-RAY - May 14th
LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN (1945) BLU-RAY - May 14th
HARD TIMES (1975) BLU-RAY - June 11th
THE DRIVER (1978) BLU-RAY - June 11th
THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN (1970) BLU-RAY - June 11th

finally!! leave her to heaven!!!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It's really depressing that some of those are coming from a boutique video company.

I'm about ready to start evaluating which movies I think will never hit Blu-ray and start buying them on Vudu, especially if I can get my hands on the DVDs and do the $5 upgrade.

omgkitty

It seems that all of the Jacques Tati films are now OOP. If you were interested in them, now might be the time to grab them.

Zebra

It seems that all of the Jacques Tati films are now OOP. If you were interested in them, now might be the time to grab them.

Thanks for the heads up, I ordered Playtime.

So does that bring the current OOP blu-rays to:
The Third Man
The Man Who Fell to Earth
Pierrot Le Fou
Chungking Express
Playtime
?

Am I missing any?

Thanks for the heads up, I ordered Playtime.

So does that bring the current OOP blu-rays to:
The Third Man
The Man Who Fell to Earth
Pierrot Le Fou
Chungking Express
Playtime
?

Am I missing any?

man out of this list the only one that I don't have that I would want is pierrot le fou. Shame I probably won't find it for a reasonable price.

Where did you hear that Playtime quantities were dwindling? I hate being caught off-guard like this :lol
Someone mentioned it on the Criterion Forums and, quick as I sometimes am, I made sure to pick it up ASAP. I wish I could say the same for The Man Who Fell to Earth, though...

Shiv47

Regarding Tati, if you're region free or considering it, the BFI's Blus of Tati's pre-Playtime films are excellent and well worth grabbing, before their rights lapse back to Studio Canal.

When do you estimate the next 50% off sale will be? I am asking because I have made some money to spend and I believe it was around March last year. I don't own any Criterion BRs; how many BRs should I start with?

omgkitty

When do you estimate the next 50% off sale will be? I am asking because I have made some money to spend and I believe it was around March last year. I don't own any Criterion BRs; how many BRs should I start with?

Barnes and Noble sales are in July and November and then sometimes Criterion will have a sale once or twice a year that usually only lasts a day or two, and it's almost always completely random.

Hopefully Amazon continues to price match like they did when Barnes and Noble had their sale in November because their prices were the same or better and postage was cheaper, and they even kept the sale prices for most of the discs well into December.

omgkitty

“Regarding Tati, we have recently renewed the rights and they will be going back in print with a new restoration sometime in the future.” - Jon Mulvaney

Looks like we will be getting some new blu-ray's soon! I'm hoping they just do a box set.

something...awesome?

just saying in criterion was releasing an extended cut of a peckinpah film, it'd be news.
Something awesome, yeah.

All Criterion's got for Peckinpah is Straw Dogs, so the Major Dundee from TT seems like a great deal.

Oh: new Tati discs sound just as nifty.

Zia

Looks like we will be getting some new blu-ray's soon! I'm hoping they just do a box set.

Never replaced by Playtime DVD after I sold it in preparation of the BD, so I just rushed to Amazon to grab it before I saw this post. Oh well. Better safe than sorry.

I wish they'd actually take five minutes to make announcements of this stuff. It used to be a massive deal when anything went OOP. I never even saw a comment about Chungking Express.

Barnes and Noble sales are in July and November and then sometimes Criterion will have a sale once or twice a year that usually only lasts a day or two, and it's almost always completely random.

Assuring... I just signed up for Hulu Plus to get some starter movies. The app is horribly broken on my Nexus 7 but at least it's good on my Roku.

I hope this doesn't come off as too spam-like, but a few years back when I saw Pierrot Le Fou was going out of print I panicked and bought a copy, even though I hadn't seen the film and didn't have a Blu Ray player. Now I do, but it's still shrinkwrapped and all that and I've been hesitant to open it since I'm not particularly fond of the movie. I'm running low on cash these days and figure I might as well try fund some stuff I do like with it since it seems to sell for a decent price. I don't have any experience selling/trading online, especially when it comes to OOP stuff, is ebay my best option? Or should I seek out something more specialized? I'd be more than willing to trade for other blus, too.

These Olive and Twilight Time releases are way too tantalizing, ugh.

I don't know how much money you would like to get, but you can check out the copies recently sold on Ebay here to get an idea of what to expect.

Ebay seems to work pretty well although I've had no experience selling on Amazon marketplace which is another option.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Hulu Plus added more films.

Odd Obsession - Ichikawa
Beware of a Holy Whore - Fassbinder
Fear of Fear - Fassbinder
Effi Briest - Fassbinder
Satan's Brew - Fassbinder
Gods of the Plague - Fassbinder
Mother Kusters Goes to Heaven -Fassbinder
Chinese Roulette - Fassbinder
Ronin-Gai - Kuroki
A Modern Coed - Rohmer
The Oil-Hell Murder - Gosha
The Phantom Horse - Shima
The Golden Demon - Shima
The Lady and the Beard - Ozu
Record of a Tenement Gentleman - Ozu
Where Now are Dreams of Youth- Ozu
What did the Lady Forget? - Ozu
A Mother Should be Loved - Ozu
That Night's Wife - Ozu
An Inn in Tokyo - Ozu
Beautiful Days - Kobayashi
Diary of a Shinjuku Thief -Oshima
Ceremony - Oshima
The Man Who Left His Will on Film - Oshima
Shadow Within - Nomura
The Demon - Nomura
Fear - Rossellini
Ironfinger - Fukuda
An Enemy of the People - Ray
The Scandalous Adventures of Buraikan - Shinoda
Eternal Return - Delannoy
Carmen Comes Home - Kinoshita
Night Drum - Imai

Hulu Plus added more films.

Odd Obsession - Ichikawa
Beware of a Holy Whore - Fassbinder
Fear of Fear - Fassbinder
Effi Briest - Fassbinder
Satan's Brew - Fassbinder
Gods of the Plague - Fassbinder
Mother Kusters Goes to Heaven -Fassbinder
Chinese Roulette - Fassbinder
Ronin-Gai - Kuroki
A Modern Coed - Rohmer
The Oil-Hell Murder - Gosha
The Phantom Horse - Shima
The Golden Demon - Shima
The Lady and the Beard - Ozu
Record of a Tenement Gentleman - Ozu
Where Now are Dreams of Youth- Ozu
What did the Lady Forget? - Ozu
A Mother Should be Loved - Ozu
That Night's Wife - Ozu
An Inn in Tokyo - Ozu
Beautiful Days - Kobayashi
Diary of a Shinjuku Thief -Oshima
Ceremony - Oshima
The Man Who Left His Will on Film - Oshima
Shadow Within - Nomura
The Demon - Nomura
Fear - Rossellini
Ironfinger - Fukuda
An Enemy of the People - Ray
The Scandalous Adventures of Buraikan - Shinoda
Eternal Return - Delannoy
Carmen Comes Home - Kinoshita
Night Drum - Imai
So much Ozu goodness. Time to resubscribe.

I can smell Art Theatre Guild releases a mile away now. They'll probably just start with Ohshima, of course. Teruyama's a ways off.

Terayama only did two feature length films with the Art Theatre Guild not counting Emperor Tomato Ketchup which is probably way too offensive to be released.
edit: Nvm, three, but yeah, he's not an obvious pick.

It's great to see more Ozu added. What Did the Lady Forget is a great comedy that I heartily recommend. I'm also glad they added Carmen Comes Home since they already had the sequel.

Top Bottom