• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2012/13: Why haven't they released *insert title here*?

Criterion released In the Realm of the Senses, which is already quite controversial. Unless this Terayama film is a cinematic atrocity, it's going to get a DVD from some label eventually. If not that, then there's always Pastoral, which would be the big release for that director anyway.

Emperor Tomato Ketchup has multiple scenes of quite explicit, simulated sex between children and adults. I understand that he was trying to make a point with everything he put in the film but his approach felt rather obtuse and I didn't feel like doing the mental gymnastics necessary to appreciate it.

Pastoral is fine though and I'd love to see it on Blu-ray.

Well fuck me with a spoon, I guess, because that sounds like a really tough sell. The most I can see it getting is an Eclipse inclusion.

Pastoral could use the Blu-ray treatment, though.

omgkitty

c-h-love.png

This Valentine’s Day weekend, we have a sweet treat for you. From today, February 14, through Monday, February 18, all of the Criterion titles streaming on Hulu Plus, available to viewers in the U.S., will be free of charge to nonsubscribers (with advertisements). It’s the perfect opportunity to get acquainted with the incredible array of our movies available for instant viewing—we now have 800-plus selections, including hundreds of rare titles from around the world that have never been released on DVD or Blu-ray in the U.S. And remember that if you sign up for Hulu Plus for just $7.99 a month, you can see them all the time, commercial-free!
This happy occasion also marks Criterion’s two-year anniversary with Hulu. We think we make a wonderful pair, and we look forward to continuing to bring important cinema to the most movie lovers possible.
Blissful viewing,
The Criterion Collection

Really wish they had done a sale instead considering I already have a Hulu Plus account I never use.

Hulu Plus added more films.

Odd Obsession - Ichikawa
Beware of a Holy Whore - Fassbinder
Fear of Fear - Fassbinder
Effi Briest - Fassbinder
Satan's Brew - Fassbinder
Gods of the Plague - Fassbinder
Mother Kusters Goes to Heaven -Fassbinder
Chinese Roulette - Fassbinder
Ronin-Gai - Kuroki
A Modern Coed - Rohmer
The Oil-Hell Murder - Gosha
The Phantom Horse - Shima
The Golden Demon - Shima
The Lady and the Beard - Ozu
Record of a Tenement Gentleman - Ozu
Where Now are Dreams of Youth- Ozu
What did the Lady Forget? - Ozu
A Mother Should be Loved - Ozu
That Night's Wife - Ozu
An Inn in Tokyo - Ozu
Beautiful Days - Kobayashi
Diary of a Shinjuku Thief -Oshima
Ceremony - Oshima
The Man Who Left His Will on Film - Oshima
Shadow Within - Nomura
The Demon - Nomura
Fear - Rossellini
Ironfinger - Fukuda
An Enemy of the People - Ray
The Scandalous Adventures of Buraikan - Shinoda
Eternal Return - Delannoy
Carmen Comes Home - Kinoshita
Night Drum - Imai

That's a shit load of Japanese films.

big ander

c-h-love.png

Really wish they had done a sale instead considering I already have a Hulu Plus account I never use.

plus: when you watch the videos as a free user, you see ads. EVERY 10 MINUTES. LOL who in the white-hot hell is going to put up with that. useless promotion. Like, they could have put an extended ad at the beginning or something, jesus.

Risette

A Good Citizen
plus: when you watch the videos as a free user, you see ads. EVERY 10 MINUTES. LOL who in the white-hot hell is going to put up with that. useless promotion. Like, they could have put an extended ad at the beginning or something, jesus.
Seriously?

That's gross.

big ander

Seriously?

That's gross.

I went to test it out because I saw someone saying that and couldn't believe that would be the case; I know hulu has done long-form ads at the beginning of media with no interruption following. Turned on Breathless cause I didn't want to spoil something I hadn't seen, and there's one every 10 minutes. Can't remotely imagine watching a movie that way for the first time. I mean I guess that's what you get on cable, but I don't do that and a movie on cable is likely to not be as good as a criterion film

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management

If I run Hulu through XBMC on my TV it cuts out the commercials. It's hot shit.

Also I've watched some stuff with the interruptions on a laptop before, it's not tooooo bad. I think it's actually 10 breaks per movie. But you get to learn about new and interesting products you might like to purchase.

big ander

If I run Hulu through XBMC on my TV it cuts out the commercials. It's hot shit.

Also I've watched some stuff with the interruptions on a laptop before, it's not tooooo bad. I think it's actually 10 breaks per movie. But you get to learn about new and interesting products you might like to purchase.
Yeah, I'm just spoiled. Plus I have like 20 dvds in arms reach of stuff I need to watch and a netflix queue full of 2012 films I should see soon, so on.

Zia

Eclectic if unexciting month.

It'll be nice to upgrade Band of Outsiders. Was aware of 3:10 to Yuma, but I'm not familiar with Delmer Daves at all.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
I think this is his first movie in the collection....

Maybe there's hope that Laser Mission will make it in now?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The Twilight Time release of Christine is already sold out, lol.
If you don't count the time the Screen Archives site was crashed, then it took less than 4.5 hours.
I only ordered one copy. Scalping this one just seemed mean.

EDIT: They just manually cancelled some orders that were over the limit.
About 170 copies left now. BUY! BUY! BUY!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
60 copies. Seriously, people... hurry up.
EDIT: Fuck it, I just bought a second copy.

TAJ

Sold out for real. Don't say I didn't warn you.

TAJ

Kind of shocked The Fury went on preorder at the same time and seems to have plenty still available

Part of it is that a French Blu-ray of The Fury has already been announced.
There are no other Blu-ray releases of Christine in the works that we know of.
The Fury is selling fast for a Twilight Time title, though. There are a couple titles that sold about as well in a year as The Fury did in 8 hours.

omgkitty

So has anyone else noticed that Amazon hasn't been lowering their prices on Criterion blu-ray's as of late? Normally they would price the new releases around $25 to $27, but lately they haven't been doing this. Normally I would hold off until a sale anyways, but there's usually a few releases I like to pick up when they come out, and this has really been holding me back. I mean fuck, On the Waterfront is still $41.99. That's some bullshit right there (yes I know it's a 2 disc set).

It's certainly rarer to see the lower prices but they're not entirely gone. The Ballad of Narayama Blu-ray is $23.99 right now and Gate of Hell is $19.99. If anything, the divergence in price between discs is more ridiculous than raising the prices on all of them.

omgkitty

It's certainly rarer to see the lower prices but they're not entirely gone. The Ballad of Narayama Blu-ray is $23.99 right now and Gate of Hell is $19.99. If anything, the divergence in price between discs is more ridiculous than raising the prices on all of them.

Except the only problem is that those are both bare bones releases, with no supplements at all. Both of those should be $19.99, but only Gate of Hell is. It's just so inconsistent, and honestly with the prices Criterion offers, unless I can get some sort of substantial discount, they are just overpriced.

codhand

i can barely afford to buy during the two or three sales that do happen annually, expensive habit that blu-ray is; that being said, i guess youre right, prices seem up on the whole at amazon. could be a post-holiday thing or something...but i dont recall this happening last year at this time...

omgkitty

i can barely afford to buy during the two or three sales that do happen annually, expensive habit that blu-ray is; that being said, i guess youre right, prices seem up on the whole at amazon. could be a post-holiday thing or something...but i dont recall this happening last year at this time...

Yeah it's very strange which makes me wonder what exactly is going on that they can't offer the same prices they have in the past. Hopefully me not spending money drives their prices down as before when they would come out regularly at a price of around $27, I would just pick them up, but now with them being very close to, or on par with retail price, I'm skipping a lot of releases.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Yeah it's very strange which makes me wonder what exactly is going on that they can't offer the same prices they have in the past. Hopefully me not spending money drives their prices down as before when they would come out regularly at a price of around $27, I would just pick them up, but now with them being very close to, or on par with retail price, I'm skipping a lot of releases.

you might find this interview with one of the guys who runs twilight time from back in dec '11 interesting. basically talks about how the days of 7.99 blurays are ending as the market shifts to being more of a collectors market (with a studio shift towards digital content delivery). covers some bits of the industry from their point of view and how studios think along with the pitfalls of retail. of course, with their gimmick of only releasing 3000 copies and charging 30+ for them, they're perfectly suited for pimping this market shift. great read

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/3...on-who-they-are-their-business-model-and-more

small bit from it...
For me, I have had many, many great experiences working with studio video divisions over the years on a lot of projects and I never thought the day would come when the studios would allow us to license the films from them. Given how huge DVD was and how much money the studios were raking in hand over fist in the late 90s and early 2000s, right up to 2007-2008. I never thought the business would decline to the degree that they would, in a sense, prefer to outsource to a third party. But that day has come and it’s come in spades, because I don’t see the situation ever reversing.

I think that home video, the physical media, is going to be like the soundtrack business became in the 90s, which is when the major labels got out of soundtracks, and the future of releases depended on niche labels to carry the entire weight of that small world. And I think that DVD and Blu-ray particularly is going to devolve to a third party world while the studios concentrate much more on the digital future: downloading and streaming and beaming it into your house directly. Physical media is coming to an end, which is why we called the label Twilight Time. I mean that was the joke: it’s Twilight Time. The sun is setting on the world of physical media. This is what it’s about. This is the last go-round--this is the end of home video as we have known it up to now.

codhand

So has anyone else noticed that Amazon hasn't been lowering their prices on Criterion blu-ray's as of late? Normally they would price the new releases around $25 to $27, but lately they haven't been doing this. Normally I would hold off until a sale anyways, but there's usually a few releases I like to pick up when they come out, and this has really been holding me back. I mean fuck, On the Waterfront is still $41.99. That's some bullshit right there (yes I know it's a 2 disc set).

ask and ye shall receive

amazon.com

badlands 26.99
blob 26.99
on the waterfront 34.99

not bad

Olive has rights to both Trust and Henry Fool, so there's reason enough to get excited.

I've heard that Anchor Bay's let their rights to Werner Herzog in Region 1 lapse. This might mean video licensing grabs coming up real soon.

swoon

trust is already out. i didn't know they had henry fool.

they should just release all his works at once or something.

Top Bottom