• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2012/13: Why haven't they released *insert title here*?

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
oSI7Adt.gif
oSI7Adt.gif
oSI7Adt.gif

omgkitty

Really didn't need to spend the money, but I bought Two Lane Blacktop, Ivan's Childhood and On the Waterfront. I swear these sales always pop up when I have no extra money to spend.

TheChits

Does the promo not apply to Ivan's Childhood? It doesn't seem to work for me
Edit: Damn I didn't see this in time to get Ivan's before it was on backorder

Borgnine

Ivan's is already on backorder? God damnit, I have to wait until I get home. STOP BUYING SHIT ASSHOLES.

damn I don't know what to get!

I watched On the Waterfront last night. The transfer is unbelievable. My film professor would not stop raving about it. I actually found out that he has been on tons of criterion commentary tracks, specifically for every (or almost every) akira kurosawa BR. Pretty cool.

Got the quatsi trilogy for 45. great price, But it didnt really feel like "half off" because of the srp thing.

And shipping was 6$, which is pretty high. was the ups shipping cheaper? i should have tried it.

I've been getting into chaplin lately. Between the circus and city lights. I'm looking at modern times right now but I don't know. I hate money.

what do you guys think: the gold rush or modern times?

damn I don't know what to get!

I watched On the Waterfront last night. The transfer is unbelievable. My film professor would not stop raving about it. I actually found out that he has been on tons of criterion commentary tracks, specifically for every (or almost every) akira kurosawa BR. Pretty cool.
I'm guessing Stephen Prince? That's awesome. Richie would have been cool too, but he's passed away recently.

On the Waterfront BDs are out, and stuff like Walker's in danger too. It's a shame I'm not interested in the latter film right now, since it might be a while until it gets a reprint.

I've only seen The Gold Rush, so there's my default recommendation. It's straightforward than Modern Times and less heavy on social commentary, but that's always alright if it's Chaplin.

I'm guessing Stephen Prince? That's awesome. Richie would have been cool too, but he's passed away recently.

On the Waterfront BDs are out, and stuff like Walker's in danger too. It's a shame I'm not interested in the latter film right now, since it might be a while until it gets a reprint.

I've only seen The Gold Rush, so there's my default recommendation. It's straightforward than Modern Times and less heavy on social commentary, but that's always alright if it's Chaplin.

Yeah, Stephen Prince. He's great. Right now I have the three colors trilogy and breathless in my cart, which have both been on my "seen, will eventually buy" list. But I want to get one new film and I'm not sure which one yet. I really wish on the waterfront hadn't sold out. Shame.

I'm leaning towards The Great Dictator (I share my birthday with Hitler, and I'll probably get these purchases as gifts), Haxan, and both the Nikkatsu and Shimizu Eclipses.

I wonder if Masters of Cinema's ever done any sales like these. The flash ones are unique to Criterion, I think.

The Great Dictator's selling bad, so I might just get Dillinger is Dead.

Unicorn

$185 I didn't have.

Brazil
Fear and Loathing
Being John Malkovick
Yojimbo/Sanjuro
Seven Samurai
Rashomon
Kagemusha
High and Low

Please. No one recommend me anything.

ngower

Bought "America Lost and Found: The BBS Story" and a Criterion mug. Tempted to go back and grab the Fanny and Alexander box set or Yojimbo/Sanjuro or some equivalently expensive box set.

I'm leaning towards The Great Dictator (I share my birthday with Hitler, and I'll probably get these purchases as gifts), Haxan, and both the Nikkatsu and Shimizu Eclipses.

Shimizu is great. He's one of the most under-represented Japanese directors, in part because the majority of his work was done pre-World War II.

haha, I'm in the know about Shimizu. If anything, the director's work is rather unknown and, because I'm into all things obscure, I'm going to get the set no matter what.

big ander

On one hand I'd really love David Lean Directs Noel Coward, The Complete Jean Vigo, 4 by Agnes Varda, Umberto D., Close-Up, Nikkatsu Noir, The War Trilogy, or any combination of the above. On the other, I have no money and recently realized I already don't have the space to store the unwatched dvds/blus I already have. So I'll see y'all at the next sale

Unicorn

Now I feel dumb for not getting the AK100 and just buying the paltry selection of individual AK movies. But, they are bluray. Fuck these decisions

ngower

In addition to my last purchase, I just grabbed Days of Heaven, The Times of Harvey Milk and My Own Private Idaho.

Looks like I'm eating rice and beans for a month or two.

So I snagged:

Dillinger is Dead (I actually saw this at my local Half-Price once, which is rare beyond belief)
Häxan (At least until Criterion or MoC or some other label gives it a Blu)
Shimizu Eclipse
Nikkatsu Eclipse

So yeah.

ngower

Just grabbed Chronicle of a Summer, 8 1/2 and The Passion of Joan of Arc. WHY WON'T THIS SALE END ALREADY?!?!

Final (hopefully) haul:

Chronicle of a Summer
8 1/2
The Passion of Joan of Arc
Days of Heaven
The Times of Harvey Milk
My Own Private Idaho
America Lost and Found: The BBS Story
Criterion mug

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Sorta old, but I don't remember seeing any of them mentioned here except Magic Town.
From Olive...

4/23
Wake of the Red Witch
Red Pony
Champion
Magic Town
Copacabana
War of the Wildcats
The Fighting Seabees
City That Never Sleeps

4/30
The Lonely Trail
The Enforcer (1951)
Cloak and Dagger (1946)

Borgnine

Anyone actually seen Shoah in its entirety? I suppose this is my calling.

Yes.

I'm getting it, you can be shoah that! This is no time for jokes asshole. I found my review from the old movie thread:

Shoah: Fun for the whole family! Not really a movie and barely even a documentary, but I watched all 9 1/2 hours of it so I think I deserve a prize. Some truly moving and horrifying moments presented without the assistance of music or editing. My biggest complaint is just kind of a technical thing during some of the interviews on the street the interviewer would ask something in French with English subtitles, then the translator would repeat it in Polish, then the Polish guy would answer in Polish, then the translator would translate in French with English subtitles. This seriously must have added an hour on to the whole thing, but I guess they wanted to present everything as real as possible. Either way, a vital and important work.

edit: actually that doesn't really say shit. Just watch it!

ymmv

Banned
Finally, Harold Lloyd on Blu-Ray! Chaplin and Keaton are geniuses, but Harold Lloyd is funnier and more inventive than both of them in his best films. Safety Last is a masterpiece, but The Kid Brother and Girl Shy are just as good. Speedy and The Freshman are just a notch below those three.

Here's the press release:

The comic genius of silent star Harold Lloyd is eternal. Chaplin was the sweet innocent, Keaton the stoic outsider, but Lloyd—the modern guy striving for success—is us. And with its torrent of perfectly executed gags and astonishing stunts, Safety Last! is the perfect introduction to him. Lloyd plays a small-town bumpkin trying to make it in the big city, who finds employment as a lowly department-store clerk. He comes up with a wild publicity stunt to draw attention to the store, resulting in an incredible feat of derring-do on his part that gets him started on the climb to success. Laugh-out-loud funny and jaw-dropping in equal measure, Safety Last! is a movie experience par excellence, anchored by a genuine legend.

Disc Features

New 2K digital film restoration
Musical score by composer Carl Davis from 1989, synchronized and restored under his supervision and presented in uncompressed stereo on the Blu-ray edition
Alternate score by organist Gaylord Carter from the late 1960s, presented in uncompressed monaural on the Blu-ray edition
Audio commentary featuring film critic Leonard Maltin and director and Harold Lloyd archivist Richard Correll
Introduction by Suzanne Lloyd, Lloyd’s granddaughter and president of Harold Lloyd Entertainment
Harold Lloyd: The Third Genius, a 104-minute documentary from 1989
Three newly restored Lloyd shorts: Take a Chance (1918), Young Mr. Jazz (1919), and His Royal Slyness (1920), with commentary by Correll and film writer John Bengtson
Locations and Effects, a new documentary featuring Bengtson and special effects expert Craig Barron
New interview with Davis
PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Ed Park

I'd buy this for Kevin Brownlow's documentary on Lloyd alone. What a great package!

Top Bottom