• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2012/13: Why haven't they released *insert title here*?

Babette's Feast's cover looks cheap and boring. It really sticks out next to Oharu's cover, which is just as economical yet more meaningful. And I'm interested in Lord of the Flies and The Devil's Backbone already—decent covers!

big ander

Love the artwork for The Devil's Backbone. A different take on the film's aesthetic, but it works.

When should the next Eclipse set be? Have the Kobayashi one coming out tomorrow but no announcement for one in May, June, or July now.

swoon

Yep. Watched it for research in school. Something I can enjoy academically but I don't think I have any desire to watch that movie again, much less own it.

i think it's pretty much the easiest of the "big" long art house movies, outside of being super depressing the interviews are really well done and avoid every single holocaust trope.

The Mike Mignola Devil's Backbone artwork is fucking great!

really like all the covers this month. babette's feast is a lot better than babette staring into the dunes or whatever on the theatrical poster.

Ridley327

Mike Mignola pulls out another winner for del Toro! It's a shame that Pan's Labyrinth is with Warner, as I'd love to see what he'd come up for that one.

...besides the teaser poster art that he already did, of course.

664_BD_box_348x490.jpg
43_BD_box_348x490.jpg
665_BD_box_348x490.jpg
666_BD_box_348x490.jpg
426_BD_box_348x490.jpg

Damn, those covers.

Criterion are bringing it again.

HoJu

I'm thinking about blind buying the Kobayashi Eclipse set. I've only seen (and loved loved loved) Harakiri though.
Anyone know how the movies in the collection stack up?

I'm thinking about blind buying the Kobayashi Eclipse set. I've only seen (and loved loved loved) Harakiri though.
I've only seen Black River, but it was really good! It's got a young Tatsuya Nakadi in it (the main character in Harakiri). It will probably be the first Eclipse set I've purchased since The Nikkatsu Noir set, which is absolutely amazing.

Samurai Rebellion, Kwaidan, and The Human Condition are absolute must-watches/owns, loosely in that order (the first two are probably tied).

I'm excited about the Eclipse set too.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I bought Le Cercle Rouge from Amazon on the 31st when I heard it was going out of print...but I guess everyone else did too. They sent me a mail saying there's been a delay. Does that mean I'm not getting it?

I bought Le Cercle Rouge from Amazon on the 31st when I heard it was going out of print...but I guess everyone else did too. They sent me a mail saying there's been a delay. Does that mean I'm not getting it?

Wouldn't they cancel it outright if they weren't getting anymore?

I ordered Last Year at Marienbad on the 30th when it said it would ship in 10-13 days and I just got it today, so it could just take some time.

I've been worried about this too. I ordered it on March 29th along with Army of Shadows and Leon Morin, Priest. My AoS order was canceled five days later, so I had to order again from someone else at a much higher cost, though that arrived right away. Le Cercle Rouge and Leon I ordered both from Amazon (Amazon.com LLC). Leon didn't even say it had shipped until April 9th (but it did arrive), and LCR still shows 'Not Yet Shipped' for the status. I have no idea what to think of it all, I've considered canceling LCR and ordering from another seller.

Nudull

Banned
Lord of The Flies and The Devil's Backbone. Yes.
I myself have recently discovered Criterion, and only now starting to build up a personal collection. I just have Godzilla on dvd and Seven Samurai on blu so far, and yes, the out of print list makes me cry. So much stuff I missed...

swoon

Just got it on DVD. But of course this is one of those films that would benefit a lot from blu-ray transfer. Dammit.

yea i'm really excited to see the colors on the blu-ray.

it is also nice that twlight time is putting a little more though into their covers.

here's there upcoming line up (body double!)

AT LONG LAST LOVE (1975) BLU-RAY - (NOTE: Not on the TT label, but exclusively handled by TT for Twentieth Century Fox) Release Date: TBD
PHILADELPHIA (1993) BLU-RAY - May 14th
LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN (1945) BLU-RAY - May 14th
HARD TIMES (1975) BLU-RAY - June 11th
THE DRIVER (1978) BLU-RAY - June 11th
THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN (1970) BLU-RAY - June 11th
SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE (1993) BLU-RAY - July 9th
LOVE IS A MANY-SPLENDORED THING (1955) BLU-RAY - July 9th
BODY DOUBLE (1984) BLU-RAY - Aug 13th
SEXY BEAST (2000) BLU-RAY - Aug 13th
THE DISAPPEARANCE (1977) BLU-RAY - Aug 13th

Masters of Cinema June/July releases are (drum roll):

BIcqKZFCEAADjGr.jpg:large

The Naked Island!

BIcqhG4CAAIp_3e.jpg:large

Kuroneko!

BIcrDWRCYAA6A1v.jpg:large

Murnau's Tabu!

BIcrt3uCQAATSBA.jpg:large

The Birth off a Nation! (I hope this leads to Intolerance)

BIcsTRxCIAESrW8.jpg:large

Le Pont du Nord! (The other best part of this slate)

The Naked Island and Kuroneko are incredible, and Tabu was pretty great too. Hopefully some of the speed issues I noticed from the existing MoC for Naked Island are addressed (assuming they weren't present in the source materials), and I really hope these get dual editions.

getting a region free player means opening an even larger hole in my wallet.

As long as the films that interest you don't change, you could really save some money going region-free. I rarely ever have to settle for OOP discs since going region-free, and you often have higher quality as well as cheaper options once you're no longer limited to R0/1/A.

You've already flooded your wallet by being cool with films from all decades/nations, you may as well shop smart.

codhand

i look at it like this, i want basically all of the moc stuff, just like i want all the criterion stuff, just like i want all the BFI, studio canal, ghibli, stuff etc, so i'd have to cast a larger net of money to catch everything. plus the films do tend to trickle out in Region A format. also there's plenty of Region A stuff i still want

i've read about an Insignia on bluray dot com that can do region free relatively easily, just never got around to it, plus i have limited space

i will have a region free player at some point, friends already think my collection is ridiculous, i lean towards agreeing with them ;)

BIcqKZFCEAADjGr.jpg:large

The Naked Island!

BIcqhG4CAAIp_3e.jpg:large

Kuroneko!

BIcrDWRCYAA6A1v.jpg:large

Murnau's Tabu!

BIcrt3uCQAATSBA.jpg:large

The Birth off a Nation! (I hope this leads to Intolerance)

BIcsTRxCIAESrW8.jpg:large

Le Pont du Nord! (The other best part of this slate)

Oh dear god, ALL OF THESE.

I'm still waiting for STALKER.

Also, does anyone in here own Salo? I know all about it but I also feel it's just so controversial to own...

Oh dear god, ALL OF THESE.

I'm still waiting for STALKER.

Also, does anyone in here own Salo? I know all about it but I also feel it's just so controversial to own...

I do. It certainly has a bit of a presence sitting there on the shelf, though nobody in my circle would know what it is. Still, it is only acting, and a good film once the edge wears off. I should say I am absolutely not a seeker of shock cinema, I'm only interested in Pasolini.

I do. It certainly has a bit of a presence sitting there on the shelf, though nobody in my circle would know what it is. Still, it is only acting, and a good film once the edge wears off. I should say I am absolutely not a seeker of shock cinema, I'm only interested in Pasolini.

That seems like how it would end up for me. The actual De Sade text seems fascinating and disturbing, though I've never read it. I doubt no one would really know what it is in my circle, and I would never watch it with my wife, but it's a piece of cinema history and Pasolini is magnificent. Would love some more of his films...

The movie was actually on Hulu at one point but no longer, and I never got around to watching it.

MoC's collection of Pasolini stuff is pretty darn swell (Oedipus Rex and The Gospel!). I just wish they or CC would dig into '80s Japanese New Wave stuff.

Which ones would you like to see spined? There really isn't much from the 80's that most would consider part of the new wave. There is also plenty from the 60's-70's that is downright ignored in the English-speaking DVD space, like the entire catalog of Yoshida Yoshishige.

That seems like how it would end up for me. The actual De Sade text seems fascinating and disturbing, though I've never read it. I doubt no one would really know what it is in my circle, and I would never watch it with my wife, but it's a piece of cinema history and Pasolini is magnificent. Would love some more of his films...

The movie was actually on Hulu at one point but no longer, and I never got around to watching it.

I honestly found Sweet Movie more disturbing. Netflix has done fairly well by Pasolini as well these past years, though mostly dubbed in English.

XShagrath

I watched Salo with my wife, and I was probably more disturbed with it than she was.

Of course, she's gonna get a tattoo of Marquis de Sade's signature here pretty soon, so she's not really phased by anything.

Which ones would you like to see spined? There really isn't much from the 80's that most would consider part of the new wave. There is also plenty from the 60's-70's that is downright ignored in the English-speaking DVD space, like the entire catalog of Yoshida Yoshishige.
Sogo Ishii's movies are generally made with the New Wave in mind (punk films are considered part of the movement, at least that point in time). And there a number of Art Theatre Guild movies from the '80s that would qualify (ATG needs more coverage in general).

For Pasolini, Teorema needs a better edition than it currently has. It's to Pasolini what The Life of Oharu is to Mizoguchi (and, by that, I mean it's surprisingly popular compared to the quality of its releases (not that the Artificial Eye is that bad)).

I still need to see a Makavejev, so I'll watch either Montenegro or The Coca-Cola Kid to prepare for Sweet Movie.

Goody

Considering selling my Third Man BR. Not many up on eBay (as of this posting there are three, two are buy-it-now) and a few on Amazon. All around 150 bucks. Is it really worth that much?

Geez, that's around what The Man Who Fell to Earth goes for these days. That's standard for earlier CC Bds that are OOP. I'm lucky I found a BD of Chungking Express local, and for MSRP!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I can't believe I never heard that Chungking Express went out of print until now...is another company selling a blu ray?

All of the MoC Pasolini releases are excellent although I do think it is a shame the bulk of them are extra-less. Plus Pigsty and Hawks being dvd only :/ Do make up with it somewhat with their exceptional booklets though, which even Criterion often can't compare to.

Will definitely order Tabu, and potentially The Birth of a Nation if the A/V presentation is substantially superior to the Kino release which is pretty exceptional outside of some scattershot tinting. Already own the Kuronoko Criterion blu which I doubt the MoC will improve on, and even if it did I didn't care for the film enough to order.

Still a Rivette virgin, really need to change that by ordering the two early films Criterion put out in blu. Will probably put Le Pont du Nord aside for that reason.

Nice slate though!

I can't believe I never heard that Chungking Express went out of print until now...is another company selling a blu ray?

I believe Criterion released a vague statement about trying to get the rights back. It's not one of the titles Studio Canal stole away and sent to the Lionsgate salt mines so I'm not sure where the issue lies.

Would like the following Blu-Ray Remasters from Criterion

Robocop
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
Sword of Doom
Cowboy Bebop (KABOOOOOOOOOOM)

Ridley327

Would like the following Blu-Ray Remasters from Criterion

Robocop
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
Sword of Doom
Cowboy Bebop (KABOOOOOOOOOOM)

Sony isn't going to be giving up Robocop or Cowboy Bebop anytime soon; Baron Munchausen probably won't happen either due to them, despite Criterion's relationship with Gilliam.

Top Bottom