• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2012/13: Why haven't they released *insert title here*?

swoon

What's wrong with the existing blu ray for robocop and baron? Pretty sure they reused the criterion commentary for robocop

codhand

What's wrong with the existing blu ray for robocop and baron? Pretty sure they reused the criterion commentary for robocop

is it the same "unrated" version or whatever? but man that wish list, good luck

for criterion i want grand illusion, and bad sleep well, and just random shit i never heard of for blind buys..

i'll prolly end up with the studio canal version of grand illusion as it's region free, and i think they have exclusive rights to the film now.

Ridley327

is it the same "unrated" version or whatever? but man that wish list, good luck

for criterion i want grand illusion, and bad sleep well, and just random shit i never heard of for blind buys..

i'll prolly end up with the studio canal version of grand illusion as it's region free, and i think they have exclusive rights to the film now.

Yeah, the Blu-ray is the unrated version.

obin_gam

Has anybody ever asked them why they don't do anything with animation?

Hell if I know. There's a lot of independent animation that could use release over here, and that certainly qualifies as experimental cinema in my eyes.

Gulliver's Travels would be the perfect first animated Criterion!
Gullivers%20Travels%201.jpg

And it's in public domain so it shouldn't be a problem at all.

codhand

I'm happy with the amount of animation that exists on Blu-ray now, criterion or not, there's a ton of great stuff available already.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
From the looks of it, Lubitsch's To Be or Not To Be, some Satyajit Ray, and possibly a Fassbinder.

oh god, I'm nervous about how awful the Seconds artwork will be.

Any others?
Hints are showing Mahanagar and Charulata (The Big City and The Lonely Wife—both non-Apu Rays), two early Fassbinders (Eclipse? For both directors?), and To Be or Not to Be.

No covers yet. Seconds sounds awesome. There could be a lot of features on the cinematographer alone; I still need to see it and the other Frankenheimer features.

Update: More Fassbinders? Gods of the Plague, Love is Colder than Death, and Katzelmacher have been suggested on Criterion Forum so far

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Seconds is one of the few movies I feel like everyone needs to buy or something bad deserves to happen to you. I haven't actually been excited by the prospect of a Criterion release in ages!

Seconds is one of the few movies I feel like everyone needs to buy or something bad deserves to happen to you. I haven't actually been excited by the prospect of a Criterion release in ages!
You sound like me and Cutter's Way, lol. It looks completely worth my time, so I'll blind-buy it.

Someone's saying The American Soldier, bringing the Fassbinder set up to 4.

I LOVE CUTTER'S WAY
I DO TOO

It's overdue: Criterion's been grabbing titles from Paramount and MGM intermittently, but this title fits too well. It's the American New Wave in a nutshell! And since it's a precursor to The Big Lebowski and spiritual successor to The Long Goodbye, it's got a lot going for it.

I DO TOO

It's overdue: Criterion's been grabbing titles from Paramount and MGM intermittently, but this title fits too well. It's the American New Wave in a nutshell! And since it's a precursor to The Big Lebowski and spiritual successor to The Long Goodbye, it's got a lot going for it.

Hm... You got me at "The". I'm ordering the DVD.

Kon's quite well known and represented. There's a lot of small-studio and independent animation from around the world, however, that could use a Criterion treatment. Many of the Japanese animated shorts from Kawamoto and Okamoto I've seen could use compilation and supplements, for example

Hm... You got me at "The". I'm ordering the DVD.
Watch it on Netflix before buying the OOP DVD (which could be expensive nowadays). Movie's not to everyone's taste, as it's more dramatic and less whimsical than the other films I mentioned.

Beware of a Holy Whore looks to be the next Fassbinder speculated.

swoon

looks like it would be an "early" fassbinder eclipse set. shame because beware the holy whore deserves a full release.

FnordChan

Kon's quite well known and represented.

Well, Kon's fairly well known, but his filmography strikes me as being the sort of auteur driven productions that Criterion would be interested in. More importantly, I personally want high quality Blu-ray editions of all of his films available in the US, and not just Paprika. I imagine someone like Sony will release those at some point, but I'd still be interested in seeing Criterion take a crack at 'em.

There's a lot of small-studio and independent animation from around the world, however, that could use a Criterion treatment. Many of the Japanese animated shorts from Kawamoto and Okamoto I've seen could use compilation and supplements, for example

Sounds great to me. Also, I'd like to see the CALF DVD compilations of Atsushi Wada and Mirai Mizue get a US release.

FnordChan

swoon

Have there been any spine upgrades from Eclipse sets?

there's rumors about daises, but not yet. i'd hope they do something special for fassbinder, or at least something as important as the holy whore, but who knows.

I wonder when eclipse sets will start to get the Blu-ray treatment, especially since all mainline releases are already on both Blu-ray and DVD.

there's a lot of releases not on blu

there's rumors about daises, but not yet. i'd hope they do something special for fassbinder, or at least something as important as the holy whore, but who knows.

Well, better that some movies more difficult to market get released than not at all. What do you like about that particular Fassbinder?

This.

I took a look at Pere Portabella's films, and they look very interesting.

Well, Kon's fairly well known, but his filmography strikes me as being the sort of auteur driven productions that Criterion would be interested in. More importantly, I personally want high quality Blu-ray editions of all of his films available in the US, and not just Paprika. I imagine someone like Sony will release those at some point, but I'd still be interested in seeing Criterion take a crack at 'em.

Sounds great to me. Also, I'd like to see the CALF DVD compilations of Atsushi Wada and Mirai Mizue get a US release.

FnordChan
Most of the Blu anime releases I know of have solid, occasionally great transfers. I'd rather Criterion focus on the unsung figures of animation.

All new releases, I meant. As in, it appears that Criterion is releasing all of their mainline films from here on out Blu-ray and not only on DVD.

Watch it on Netflix before buying the OOP DVD (which could be expensive nowadays). Movie's not to everyone's taste, as it's more dramatic and less whimsical than the other films I mentioned.

Bad news is : there is no netflix over here. Good news is : it's not oop and I can spare the 5€ it'll cost me : )

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

Damn, I saw Kon's name in this thread and was instantly hyped :(

I'd kill for a Blu-ray of Perfect Blue. Also, side note, but I really want a rerelease of Paranoia Agent, since it's OOP and super expensive.

It'd be really awesome if Criterion would get into animation, especially foreign works. I saw a site talking about that recently, there's such a wealth of material out there that at most hits festivals here, but never anything resembling a significant release.

swoon

it's his first big realized film and also his personal favorite. his films before that are sort of chaotic messes, a thousand different styles. holy whore he kinda finds himeslf, 8 1/2 style. compared to some of the crap they've been putting out, he should get the full treatment.

All new releases, I meant. As in, it appears that Criterion is releasing all of their mainline films from here on out Blu-ray and not only on DVD.

gotcha. i guess they still can't sell a 4 blu-ray set without features at the price point they are targeting

What the fuck is going on. I like the Seconds cover (ugly, but it fits the movie and its commentary), but people think it's terrible and are praising that Mondo-esque Lubitsch cover to high heaven. Not what I was expecting, lol.

The other covers are good, love the Mondrian reference for Big City.

omgkitty

What the fuck is going on. I like the Seconds cover (ugly, but it fits the movie and its commentary), but people think it's terrible and are praising that Mondo-esque Lubitsch cover to high heaven. Not what I was expecting, lol.

The other covers are good, love the Mondrian reference for Big City.

People are shitting on Saul Bass? What a bunch of fools.

Holy shit: the Lubitsch has a Kalat commentary!

Decent month altogether. The Early Fassbinder set's nice for Region 1 customers who haven't bought the cheaper Arrow sets (and who knows, these transfers are probably better).

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Never seen a Lubitsch film...Jack Benny! :D

Has Criterion ever done a release of any of the Marx Brothers movies? Would love to see a Duck Soup blu ray.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
It's weird that Criterion constantly shies away from using some really wonderful one-sheet artwork in lieu of their own (often lousy) commissioned work, and then randomly opts to use this Saul Bass poster that definitely was not one of his better efforts. Ah well.

I assume the Frankenheimer commentary is the same one from the old DVD, so you guys are in for a treat. He's got a lot of really fun anecdotes about the filming, along with some very cool tech talk. Not entirely sure why Baldwin was chosen for one of the other extras on this disc (was he friends with Frankenheimer?), but I do love me some Alec.

Phase IV was suuuper weird and interesting, although the marketing was almost hilariously misleading.

Top Bottom