• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Crow | Rotten Watch

Draugoth

Gold Member
GVn3Q1-XkAApTN6

The Crow (2024) - Review Thread
Reviews:
Hollywood Reporter:
The Crow is a sluggish, overly self-serious gloomfest that never takes wing. Given the long string of directors and lead actors attached to the project over its 16 years of on-off development, the overworked, lifeless result should be no surprise. I suppose at least we were spared the Mark Wahlberg version.
Rolling Stone:
It doesn’t take long to realize that what was meant to be a franchise-starter is, unlike its hero, permanently DOA.
The Guardian (20):
It’s genuinely startling just how utterly wretched the finished product is and how unfit it is for a wide release. Filmed two years ago and dumped on a low-expectation late summer weekend, The Crow 2.0 is a total, head-in-hands disaster, incoherently plotted and sloppily made, destined to join the annals of the very worst and most pointless remakes ever made.
The Wrap:
When you stifle the emotional simplicity of a story like “The Crow” to emphasize the plot, the plot had better make sense. And it doesn’t. It’s got perplexing rules and a vague chronology and nothing seems like it matters anymore. This remake understands the basic thrust of the original story but not what made it function, and while it’s sometimes goofy enough to be entertaining, in the end it’s for the birds.
SlashFilm (35):
Sanders' The Crow has nothing on its mind, and forgets why we should be sad and frustrated at the death and meaningless violence in the world.
Collider (50):
Struggling through an identity crisis, The Crow is doing too much and, as a result, doesn't do enough to serve its core narrative.
IndieWire (C):
Despite moody, doomy set design and Skarsgård’s ominous silhouette as a very tall and beautiful walking corpse, Sanders’ “The Crow” is less giving with plot, hampered by an unfleshed and often confusing mythology that leaves the unsettling particulars of O’Barr’s source material for dead.
Looper (30):
The '94 film's characters were more vehicles upon which to project outside feelings about grief rather than individuals one could actively grieve for, so that is an area with room for improvement. Alas, almost every other decision made in this remake actively works against the principles of good drama, good entertainment, and good messaging.
Directed by Rupert Sanders:
Soulmates Eric and Shelly are brutally murdered when the demons of her dark past catch up with them. Given the chance to save his true love by sacrificing himself, Eric sets out to seek merciless revenge on their killers, traversing the worlds of the living and the dead to put the wrong things right.
  • Bill Skarsgård as Eric Draven / The Crow, an undead revived musician
  • FKA Twigs as Shelly Webster, Eric's fiancée
  • Danny Huston as Vincent Roeg, a demonic crime lord
  • Josette Simon as Sophia Webster, Shelly's mother
  • Laura Birn as Marian, Roeg's right-hand woman
  • Sami Bouajila as Kronos, a spirit that guides Eric in his mission
  • Isabella Wei as Zadie
  • Jordan Bolger as Chance, a tattoo artist and friend of Eric and Shelly

The Crow is a sluggish, overly self-serious gloomfest that never takes wing. Given the long string of directors and lead actors attached to the project over its 16 years of on-off development, the overworked, lifeless result should be no surprise. I suppose at least we were spared the Mark Wahlberg version.

I'm still convinced that the Mark Wahlberg version was glued together to make the Max Payne movie.

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
Cringe as fuck design for Eric in this one. Christ almighty.

That’s some fucken tacky shit, a “good boy” tattoo. It’s like it’s designed by those gen z retards plastered in shit fashion tattoos. You know the type, looks like a child was let loose on them with an Etch A Sketch.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I'm not surprised by the reviews but holy shit, I didn't think it was going to be that bad. Nothing can top the 94 movie. It's a standalone masterpiece that should be left alone. Hollywood should've known this by now, considering how bad the sequels were and now this ridiculously looking remake. It's a desecration of Brandon Lees legacy.

And Bill taking up the role of Eric Draven? After he did a brilliant job of reinventing Pennywise 28 years after the legendary performance of Tim Curry he probably thought he could do it once more. But taking on Brandon Lee in his ultimate, star making performance in a genre defining movie such as The Crow is a tall order not even he can do. It's impossible to replace Brandon. The Crow will always be synonymous with him, and no other version of Eric Draven or the Crow will ever enter pop culture and be the next big thing. It ain't happening. And now Bills Hollywood career is probably done, with him appearing in two massive bombs back to back. It's a shame it had to end like this. He is a legitimately good actor and I hope he can bounce back from this travesty.

Vyse

Gold Member
Watched the trailer for this before Alien Romulus last week and I said to my friend “No way this ca be good, right?” He replied, “It’s the Crow, how can you fuck it up?”

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Just looking at casting... Only Bill and FKA Twigs are the highlights... But I'll still give it a try when it comes on streaming.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Will watch. Whenever something reviews so bad, I go in expecting the worst movie of all time, so anything better than that is surprising and I end up kind of enjoying it

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Emo, crackhead Crow. Come on. That looks like complete shit.
Honestly, I have no problem with the actor or the look. Pretty close to the comics.

hqdefault.jpg

I'll check this out at some point or at least watch the fight scenes on youtube.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
GVn3Q1-XkAApTN6

The Crow (2024) - Review Thread
Reviews:
Hollywood Reporter:

Rolling Stone:

The Guardian (20):

The Wrap:

SlashFilm (35):

Collider (50):

IndieWire (C):

Looper (30):

Directed by Rupert Sanders:

• Bill Skarsgård as Eric Draven / The Crow, an undead revived musician
  • FKA Twigs as Shelly Webster, Eric's fiancée
  • Danny Huston as Vincent Roeg, a demonic crime lord
  • Josette Simon as Sophia Webster, Shelly's mother
  • Laura Birn as Marian, Roeg's right-hand woman
  • Sami Bouajila as Kronos, a spirit that guides Eric in his mission
  • Isabella Wei as Zadie
  • Jordan Bolger as Chance, a tattoo artist and friend of Eric and Shelly
Madame web.... Borderlands... And this..

Now it's time to see who wins the Razzie awards?

Mohonky

Yeh the trailer looked pretty fucking appalling. Will still watch in hope but not expecting much.

1 was awesome, 2 was butchered but I still dug it's neon vibe and there was maybe 3 or 4 I remember being catchable but yeh, this series is dead.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Wow I had no idea this was even coming out. Just when I thought Hollywood was running out of great movies to remake/soft reboot and ruin.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I saw it last night. There were some parts I enjoyed and liked what they were aiming for. Other parts they just completely missed the boat. Some of the violence was pretty gnarly and gory. All in all it was just mostly forgettable.

RAÏSanÏa

Buildings burn, people die, but pumping sequels is forever.

Going to watch once streaming, but the trailer, reviews and studio comments aren't encouraging.

It doesn't give the sense of capturing the underground zeitgeist of this generation.
Not sophisticated enough, or advances the original's concepts. This movie seems basic superficial, not even trying to voice this gen. A reskin and weak corpo grab at a Batman character origin story. Sorry Shelly, Eric loves the stage more and the Crow isn't about bring souls to rest as part of its own mysterious agency it's making them elementals in service for other beings. Not that any of that diminishes the original or its relevance. Or even the elements of this remake that can be appreciated. That's the foundation upon which a more complex play on vengeance and love launches with modern filmography and not throw out the baby with the bathwater. Something that might elicit hype for a sequel. It's the creators working on yet another property not understanding it. Losing the forest for the the trees.

Going to give the soundtrack for this a listen and gather some thoughts on my ideas of a modern Crow movie remake in light of this release and what would be on the soundtrack...

🤔

Power Pro

Weird, I didnt know they were making a live action movie based on the DmC game. Thought they left that version of Dante behind

Top Bottom