• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Daily Show with Trevor Noah |OT| same chair, different ass

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabbo

Between the eye-fucking with the Bumble CEO on day 2, and Bill Nye obliterating the panel on Wilmore, a good night all around on fake news.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Only been able to watch the first episode so far. Considering it was his first show and he has years to find his footing, I would say I'm optimistic. This and Colbert will be the only late night shows I watch.

Jonm1010

Banned
Funny thing is that Jon did the same thing before he got married. Difference is that Jon had no game compared to Trevor.

Yeah Jon's game was the self-depricating, slightly awkward type. Though he had a few gems with some female guests when I was watching some of his early episodes during that online marathon.

Watched Monday's episode yesterday on Hulu. Enjoyed it. They're kinda playing up the "slightly clueless foreigner" thing a bit, which is funny but could start to grate. Kevin Hart as a first guest sucked, tho. Looking forward to watching yesterday's episode when I get off of work.

I thought he was much better in the second episode, particularly during the interview. He seemed more confident and relaxed, almost flirting even.

Anyone else notice how Trevor keeps pronouncing women (plural) as woman (singular)? Surely someone has told him, but he's done it two episodes in a row now.

Darksol

I thought he was much better in the second episode, particularly during the interview. He seemed more confident and relaxed, almost flirting even.

Anyone else notice how Trevor keeps pronouncing women (plural) as woman (singular)? Surely someone has told him, but he's done it two episodes in a row now.

I think that's accent more than anything.

Anywhoo - very strong episode! I dig him.

There's something infectious about his joviality. He seems genuinely amused and happy, and I found myself smiling throughout most of the first two episodes.

So far I think things are in good hands overall.

The only moderately low point for me so far has been the interplay with the correspondents - for now it seems a bit stilted.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
I did not like this at all. Jon had a talent of letting the jokes be funny on their own. Trevor has a stupid grin after every punchline is delivered. Even Jimmy Fallon doesn't laugh at himself this often.

Hopefully he'll get less awkward as he finds his feet, but that was a terrible first episode.

I did not like this at all. Jon had a talent of letting the jokes be funny on their own. Trevor has a stupid grin after every punchline is delivered. Even Jimmy Fallon doesn't laugh at himself this often.

Hopefully he'll get less awkward as he finds his feet, but that was a terrible first episode.

See, and I LOVE the grin. It's not laughing at yourself to grin.

Sanjuro

See, and I LOVE the grin. It's not laughing at yourself to grin.

BupSYLc.gif

This dude is gonna get shit for not doing things like Jon, that Jon didn't "perfect" until he was well into his first year..boy, is this gonna be fun 😕

NimbusD

A bit too quick to come to such conclusions. The episode served primarily as Noah's introduction to the audience, so I'm not ready to write the humor off as too superficial after the first episode.

Also Stewart thrived for years off jokes about John Boehner's crying. That was just kind of a nod towards it. It comes off as the writer trying too hard to find fault with the first episode.

Exactly. How can you judge a show like this off of one episode? Especially when it's an episode that has to essentially reboot a series and introduce a new host all at once. It'd be a miracle for it do come out of the gate kicking, new, yet still TDS, with a perfectly practiced and comfortable host and writing staff.

Chariot

This dude is gonna get shit for not doing things like Jon, that Jon didn't "perfect" until he was well into his first year..boy, is this gonna be fun 😕
I don't know, he is already pretty good now. Not perfect by all means, he has a room to improve, a bit hesitant at times, but overall already perfectly watchable.

Sanjuro

This dude is gonna get shit for not doing things like Jon, that Jon didn't "perfect" until he was well into his first year..boy, is this gonna be fun ��

My first memories of the Daily Show was it being advertised around the time when they were transforming into a non-MST3K network. At least around here, it was pulled from most cable packages. Then, South Park hit and the channel worked its way back in the next few years. Jon became the host. Then it wasn't even until the Bush-era when the show started gaining some traction.

Now the problem is the program is coming off its most important run, and they neutered their regular audience to a degree with Wilmore's program. It's going to be a bumpy road for a while.

For me? I haven't considered Jon to be wildly relevant for a while now. My curiosity factor is engaged, so I'll be tuning in. Also, interviews like last evening I highly suspect would have not occurred on the prior iteration.

I don't know, he is already pretty good now. Not perfect by all means, he has a room to improve, a bit hesitant at times, but overall already perfectly watchable.
I'm in complete agreement. Anyone that wants to can check the old episodes what Jon first came in. This dude here seems to be blending in fine. Why wouldn't he? Same staff is there. Shit..he was part of the staff.

It's just funny reading reviews, and seeing people criticize him for shit that Jon did, and yet speak as if he was above it all. What's it been..3 months? How have they rewritten history so quickly? lol..

my worries about trevor noah taking over the show were unfounded, happily so. the premiere was great, really felt like the daily show. with colbert and then jon gone I was worried I was going to lose a nightly ritual. glad I wont. the show is still strong, actually better than Jon's final run last 6 months or so. And I only watched one episode.

OnPoint

my worries about trevor noah taking over the show were unfounded, happily so. the premiere was great, really felt like the daily show. with colbert and then jon gone I was worried I was going to lose a nightly ritual. glad I wont. the show is still strong, actually better than Jon's final run last 6 months or so. And I only watched one episode.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater here. Stewart in "nothing left to lose" mode was some of the best TV he and his team ever put together. I also have only seen one episode, and while it was a good start and pretty funny, it's got some ways to go before it finds its own, comfortable voice.

Agree with everyone saying it's way too early to judge Trevor and very unfair to just compare him to Jon. Since the change I've been doing something I haven't done in years: I'm watching the Daily Show, and enjoying it.

It's obvious he has more than enough talent to do the show. If he grows from here he is going to be in excellent shape in very short order.

Oh, and more Roy Wood Jr plz.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I feel Roy is going to be a top-tier correspondent through the show's run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom