• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Daily Show with Trevor Noah |OT| same chair, different ass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fusebox

Banned
That was one hell of a first episode, I wasn't expecting much but he really impressed me. I can see what Stewart saw in him now.

Chariot

I enjoyed it. Think Noah's going to do just fine.

Was dissapointed that the set didn't end up looking all that different though.
I guess they decided to keep the shock of change to a minimum for now. People like shadyspace already hated him just for being south african. Better play it safe, he can form the show along the way.

Given that this is the first episode, I think Trevor did really well. I also see a lot of sincerity in him that I think will bode well for him as time goes on, just as it did for Jon. You could see it pretty openly in his tribute to Jon as well as in his interview with Kevin. I expect to get a lot of good social commentary from him as the years go on, and I hope he's around long enough to provide it.

Ravidrath

Trevor did a great job.

The main thing I want to see, though, is him do a great interview with a political figure. The Kevin Hart interview was entertaining, but he's a comedian, not a real test of Trevor's skill.

linsivvi

Well Trevor got off to a pretty decent start.

I think it's simply people don't like him. The interview format could use work, but I'm not sure people are even getting to that portion of the program.

I like his opening segment. It's the panel that made me stopped watching the show. It's just a waste of time.

danielcw

I enjoyed the first episode as much as most of you guys did :)

Not to sound cynical but Comedy Central took a gamble replacing Stewart and Colbert's slots with black hosts.
Until you wrote it, and he himself said it on the show, I never thought of Trevor Noah as black.

Does anyone know when this will be up on the daily show site?
As of now, it is up:

http://www.cc.com/full-episodes/q4l...mber-28--2015---kevin-hart-season-21-ep-21001

People in Germany can watch the show on comedycentral.tv at 17:00 CEST

EDIT: Nightly Show: http://www.cc.com/full-episodes/u3s...hootings---jeb-bush-on-race-season-2-ep-02001

To be fair, the head writer left.
Who was the head writer, and where did he go?

The globe finally spins in the right direction!
Wow, finally somebody catched that. I expected that as first post as the show started :)
Neil Degrasse Tysopn would be proud

The majority of the show was extremely solid. I just didn't like his interview with Kevin Hart. I'm sure he'll get better over time. Really excited to see what else they have in store. Great to have The Daily Show back.

Sanjuro

The majority of the show was extremely solid. I just didn't like his interview with Kevin Hart. I'm sure he'll get better over time. Really excited to see what else they have in store. Great to have The Daily Show back.

Wasn't much of an interview.

- Look ties.
- I respect you.
- You're in shape!

It was nice and short. The focus of the program remained on the host and segments, which was fantastic.

Unless he was doing one of those super long interviews Stewart sucked and colbert was even worse.

The interview has been the bane of my TDS watching experience from day one. I hate them. They're almost uniformly horrible. Their absence is why Last Week Tonight is the best TDS-alike on television.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Sometimes I feel like you people missed the memo about skipping the interview segments.

In the old days you could get your Daily Show and Colbert watching done in a half hour without commercials.

Sometimes I feel like you people missed the memo about skipping the interview segments.

In the old days you could get your Daily Show and Colbert watching done in a half hour without commercials.

This has always been my strategy, but I figured I'd watch Noah's first few interviews to get a better feel for him.

Pilgrimzero

I was worried at first cause I didn't find the Pope jokes funny but the next segment was hilarious and it kept going.

I agree the interview was kind of lame but oh well.

Anyways love his accent.

KingK

That was surprisingly well done. Trevor had really good delivery and the segments were classic daily show. The correspondent bits were better than usual too. I'll definitely be sticking with the show. It really doesn't feel like they've missed a beat since Jon left.

We just have to see how Trevor handles interviews with some politicians and stuff now, but I'm pretty optimistic. He seems smart and quick witted. Just glad i have daily show plus Colbert back to back again.

Sanjuro

Reminds me of Fallon. Funny, but completely shit at interviewing.

I enjoy Fallon's program. Don't see any sort of comparison between them both though. When he starts having proper interviews I might give a bit more judgement.

Chariot

That was surprisingly well done. Trevor had really good delivery and the segments were classic daily show. The correspondent bits were better than usual too. I'll definitely be sticking with the show. It really doesn't feel like they've missed a beat since Jon left.

We just have to see how Trevor handles interviews with some politicians and stuff now, but I'm pretty optimistic. He seems smart and quick witted. Just glad i have daily show plus Colbert back to back again.
And he's super positive and happy. Jon always looked like he was in need of a minute to cry.

Jonm1010

Banned
The interview has been the bane of my TDS watching experience from day one. I hate them. They're almost uniformly horrible. Their absence is why Last Week Tonight is the best TDS-alike on television.
I just wish they weren't a slave to them. Maybe 1-3 a week depending on the guests you can get. A little more often then Oliver but not having to feel it is a structural necessity to the show.

EDIT: I actually like the interviews when they are good guests. Intellectual thinkers, politicians, experts relevant to a current event. I just hate that it seems most nights they are just filling a time slot on the show.

danielcw

If I ever watch interviews, it are the political or science related ones.
So I actually watch more interviews on TDS than I do on other late-night shows.

Recently, Bill Maher had no opening interview guest on Realtime, and I think it improved that show a lot.

Kind of wish they had shaken up the format a little more, but overall it was a good first show.

Though I can't say enough how sick I am of the correspondent segments. Compared to the remote segments the show used to have, they're just awful.

morningbus

Kind of wish they had shaken up the format a little more, but overall it was a good first show.

Though I can't say enough how sick I am of the correspondent segments. Compared to the remote segments the show used to have, they're just awful.
They still have remote segments. Remotes are way more expensive so you don't get them all the time.

Jonm1010

Banned

Hmm, I thought Roy Wood Jr's back and forth with Noah was the best part of the show.

Hmm, I thought Roy Wood Jr's back and forth with Noah was the best part of the show.

Yeah, he stood out in particular, but I'd say in general they're the weakest part of the written show. I just wish they had something new in their place. Feels like correspondents are always underutilized or used in the wrong ways.

They still have remote segments. Remotes are way more expensive so you don't get them all the time.

I guess, but I definitely think they've become more scarce over the past few years.

it was almost like they were a monolith.
CC0r5hL.gif

Ogni-XR21

I found the first Daily Show with Trevor Noah to be better than the first Late Show with Steven Colbert.
If you would have shown me this TDS without me knowing (and them mentioning) it was the first show I would have thought it was already on for a while. Felt very natural to me.

massoluk

Banned
Show was pretty good. The shadow of Stewart still looms large, hopefully he can shake it off. I thought they could have played more with Boehner/Stewart bit. :p

It went kind of like I expected. Thought they were going to do a fish out of water angle with Trevor, and it worked in the first episode. Only thing I was concerned about was if they would change the show structure, segments, etc and they didn't, which is good.

The only thing I didnt really care for was the new announcer at the beginning,

Jonm1010

Banned
Yeah, he stood out in particular, but I'd say in general they're the weakest part of the written show. I just wish they had something new in their place. Feels like correspondents are always underutilized or used in the wrong ways.

I guess, but I definitely think they've become more scarce over the past few years.

Id be ok with them shaking up how they use the correspondents. Adding some new formats. Not sure what that could be but I'd be ok with some experimentation. but I certainly wouldn't want to eradicate them altogether.

My main problem with them, like the interviews, is that they often seem to feel they are a necessity to pretty much every show unless they have one of the longer correspondent pieces. Which I think they should unburden themselves from thinking.

Jonm1010

Banned
I found the first Daily Show with Trevor Noah to be better than the first Late Show with Steven Colbert.
If you would have shown me this TDS without me knowing (and them mentioning) it was the first show I would have thought it was already on for a while. Felt very natural to me.
Truthiness will always be hard to top for me. That segment was so strong that it's hard for anyone to top an opening show the way Colbert did....including Colbert with the Late Show.

For Noah I think it clearly helped they had several test rehearsals and test audiences and the old writing team - which is really the heart of the show - is still in tact.

morningbus

Yep, once I gave up on Stewart/TDS a few years ago and just watched Colbert sans interviews I was done in 15 minutes.

VinFTW

Wow, I really like Noah. Awesome stuff and good choice by Stewart and crew.

Hopefully his interviewing skills will grow as he does on the show, other than that, good stuff.

I haven't given Wilmore a shot in a long time. His opening segment is pretty strong, but I feel like that panel format for the guests is still going to hold him back from having a great show from start to finish.

The format works against Wilmore. They need to cut the "Keep it 100" segment and let the panel continue to discuss the topic. On special shows where they drop that, it all comes together much better. I think the Nightly Show would probably benefit from a full hour, but they should be more efficient with what they got.

The format works against Wilmore. They need to cut the "Keep it 100" segment and let the panel continue to discuss the topic. On special shows where they drop that, it all comes together much better. I think the Nightly Show would probably benefit from a full hour, but they should be more efficient with what they got.

Larry had bailed on the Keep it 100 segment for a long time (w/ occasional pop ups here and there), but I've seen it twice recently. It drags down an otherwise excellent show. Larry has really massively improved since his 1st episode.

Sanjuro

Larry had bailed on the Keep it 100 segment for a long time (w/ occasional pop ups here and there), but I've seen it twice recently. It drags down an otherwise excellent show. Larry has really massively improved since his 1st episode.

I kind of like his format at times. Part of me wishes he would end up on HBO alongside Maher, part of me isn't so sure I would watch him regularly then either.

I really enjoy him as a performer too, which is a shame. It's just one of those things that doesn't have me actively coming back for more.

JDSN

Banned

They dropped the Keep it 100 since I started watching the show again, its so much better and WIlmore seems more in control but the sidekicks are uniformly terrible except for Mike Yard. Tho I dont see much of a future with the show with Colbert in the same timeslot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom