• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Daily Show with Trevor Noah |OT| same chair, different ass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxus

Wilmore's show runs a lot better now and is much more enjoyable to watch. Guests have more room to speak and he has adapted to his time behind the desk. It is just a shame Colbert runs at the same time.

Back to TDS, Noah seems to be doing a bang up job but I want to hear more of 'his voice' as time goes on so I will check back in with more thoughts later.

Was solid. Feels a bit like the writers are still writing for Jon though. I'm sure Trevor will find his voice and that the writers will figure out how to write for his voice.

Gah!!! What does that even MEAN??
One of these days, some Gaffer is going to have to explain what you see when you see "black"

CZf19jL.png

They dropped the Keep it 100 since I started watching the show again, its so much better and WIlmore seems more in control but the sidekicks are uniformly terrible except for Mike Yard. Tho I dont see much of a future with the show with Colbert in the same timeslot.

They didn't drop it entirely which is good because I liked it, but it doesn't jive with every panel he has. It comes back occasionally when it makes sense.

My problems with his panels is that he doesn't do any moderation really. He rarely pushes or allows for an actual conversation or debate to happen the whole way through. Occasionally, he'll have a really great guest on the panel that I want to hear from, but a random comedian at the table will be talking over everyone and interrupting with lame attempts at jokes whenever an important point is about to be made. Can't remember exactly what they were discussing, but he had Salman Rushdie on a few weeks back and he kept getting interrupted by a woman doing that. It seems like there are a lot of panel discussions that just fizzle out and never go anywhere for similar reasons.

I really like TNS and I think Larry is good at what he does until it gets to the panel segment. He'll often have a decent topic to discuss but doesn't always do anything to keep the panel on point. Honestly it would be better if they only did the panel discussion when he has 4 guests that actually want to engage in the topic at hand. Otherwise he should just do more one-on-one interviews or whatever has to happen so there doesn't always have to be a panel discussion that often goes nowhere.

They dropped the Keep it 100 since I started watching the show again, its so much better and WIlmore seems more in control but the sidekicks are uniformly terrible except for Mike Yard. Tho I dont see much of a future with the show with Colbert in the same timeslot.

I really like Rory Albanese (showrunner) and Holly Walker, but not such a fan of the rest of them.

Trevor did great! But the new guy I was most stoked about was Roy Wood Jr.

Vulture agrees: http://www.vulture.com/2015/09/best-part-of-daily-shows-premiere-roy-wood-jr.html

Noah (seriously): "But Roy, think about this: Doesn't this raise the possibility that one day people can live on Mars?"
Wood (befuddled): "People like who? Me and you? How am I going to get there? Brother can't catch a cab, you think we can catch a spaceship?"

The way he delivered that line was my laugh out loud moment of the episode.

I didn't like Klepper much. Seemed too tryhard, IMO.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I was honestly blown away by how comfortable and natural it felt. Both my girlfriend and I laughed out loud a lot and I love the new correspondent.

I know this will be controversial but I thought Noah did better in his first show then Colbert did taking over the late show.

I know it's not quite comparable and part of it is I just enjoy political humor but yeah.

No, I was gonna make the same comment. Was really surprised how natural it all felt, despite the interview segment being a little rough. He came across way more comfortable than Colbert did in his first late show despite having done the Report for so long.

Really great start for Noah.

atr0cious

They didn't drop it entirely which is good because I liked it, but it doesn't jive with every panel he has. It comes back occasionally when it makes sense.

My problems with his panels is that he doesn't do any moderation really. He rarely pushes or allows for an actual conversation or debate to happen the whole way through. Occasionally, he'll have a really great guest on the panel that I want to hear from, but a random comedian at the table will be talking over everyone and interrupting with lame attempts at jokes whenever an important point is about to be made. Can't remember exactly what they were discussing, but he had Salman Rushdie on a few weeks back and he kept getting interrupted by a woman doing that. It seems like there are a lot of panel discussions that just fizzle out and never go anywhere for similar reasons.

I really like TNS and I think Larry is good at what he does until it gets to the panel segment. He'll often have a decent topic to discuss but doesn't always do anything to keep the panel on point. Honestly it would be better if they only did the panel discussion when he has 4 guests that actually want to engage in the topic at hand. Otherwise he should just do more one-on-one interviews or whatever has to happen so there doesn't always have to be a panel discussion that often goes nowhere.

This is how I feel. He shouldn't have topics he and the panel aren't educated on or care to talk abouit. His talk on cultural appropriation left a really bad taste in my mouth, where he kind of flaunts his ignorance of the subject as proof it doesn't matter.

Glad Trevor is doing well though, and I hope he gets the chance to shine. Either way, has there ever been two prominent black hosts on television at once? We're on our way.

EW gave Trevor a B-

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/09/29/daily-show-trevor-noah-ew-review

What worried me the most was the superficial perspective expressed in the premiere’s comedy segments. He led with a package on Pope Francis’ visit to America. He wanted to take a pin to the hype, but all he did was bat the balloon around. The “war-on-bullshit” approach would have satirized how the media covered the pope and how the pope used the media to advance his agenda. His jokes, while energetically performed, lacked POV and veered toward irreverence for irreverence’s sake, most notably, the crack about the size of the pope’s penis.

Trolling His Holiness wasn’t exactly a compelling expression of Noah’s much-talked-about points of difference, either. We’ve been told to expect an “international” perspective, an “outsider’s” perspective. That sounds valuable, but I didn’t see or hear much of that perspective at work in the premiere. Mocking John Boehner for his weepy tendencies? That’s his inspired take on this seismic shift in the Republican Party and American political life? Way to leap for the low hanging fruit, dude. What’s next? Going after Donald Trump’s hair? Forget about meeting Jon Stewart’s standard. Noah should focus on getting better at being high grade Trevor Noah. I look forward to getting more of his points of difference – or seeing if he’s truly all that interested in delivering them.

We could also talk about how bad that interview was with Kevin Hart, though to be honest, Stewart’s interviews with celebs were never all that polished or interesting, either. Maybe Noah can find a way to improve the practice, not uphold it. (The biggest problem with the interviews is their brevity. They’re always going to trend toward shallow and rough as long as they’re short and off the cuff.) To be honest, I’m reluctant to draw conclusions from the premiere. There was a lot of housekeeping and get-to-know-me, which was to be expected, and a lot of self-awareness and meta-management, which was inevitable. I expect this to continue for the rest of the week. Let’s assess after a week or two. You have our attention, Trevor Noah. Let’s see if you can keep it. Premiere Grade: B-

Loxley

I don't know if a single Daily Show corespondent has had a better introductory bit as Roy Wood Jr did, already a guy I want to see more of.

A bit too quick to come to such conclusions. The episode served primarily as Noah's introduction to the audience, so I'm not ready to write the humor off as too superficial after the first episode.

Also Stewart thrived for years off jokes about John Boehner's crying. That was just kind of a nod towards it. It comes off as the writer trying too hard to find fault with the first episode.

Deadline wasn't the biggest fan either but aren't too negative about the future.

Earnest indeed might be the best descriptive for a first night that was mostly inoffensive but also mostly flat. That’s certainly to be expected. No amount of pre-debut prep could substitute for the real thing, and both the South Africa-born comedian and his audiences In-House and Out There deserve some time to get to know each other.

A joke about Whitney Houston was DOA, as was a tired play on AIDS versus aides, and still the smile never left Noah’s face even as the words hobbled out and died. He could use a little citrus injection in his responses. “Too soon?” he said after the Houston joke. Nah — too lame. Those teeth need more bite.

So the writing and the delivery have a way to go, and how could they not? It was opening night. There were no fatalities.

It seems like everyone's still a little bitter about Stewart leaving or they're so far up his butt that they can't find their way back out. Haha.

I knew most of the writers and correspondents were staying on so I was hoping Trevor's run on The Daily Show would have a better start than The Nightly Show. I'm glad that seems to be the case. It looks like my late night tv schedule will still be The Daily Show followed by Colbert.

I also agree with the A.V. Club about how reviewing the first episode of a late night series is kind of pointless since they always change and evolve as time goes on. I think they're better for first impressions than anything conclusive.

Sanjuro

I have a hard time fielding serious complaints after one outing, especially on TDS. It's such a brief period of time, with a ton of commercials, and variable content at their disposal.

CC is certainly going to give a ton of extra leeway to this property.

Thought it was a good introductory episode. I liked the new correspondent as well, thought the bit about Mars was pretty funny.

I do agree that the writing feels like it's the same as if was Jon, but Noah pulled off the jokes pretty well. In time he'll find more of a distinct voice, but whats there currently is promising.

The interview with Hart was the worst part of the show. Not to speak poorly of Hart, it was just clear the two didn't really know each other, and Hart was especially conveying this. Felt the same as when Colbert had Clooney on his first show. I get that a new show wants a big name for their first show, but I'd rather have some the host has a rapport with as the first guest to show off their interviewing style.

alba

Little is the new Big
That actually went way better than I expected, good stuff. I guess keeping most of John's staff really helped keep things up to par.

Jinaar

I had zero expectations and I was floored how well it was. I really like Trevor. Love the accent, the smile and the jokes. Go Daily Show!

danielcw

Anybody know, if Global Editions of TDS are still a thing?

Is the comedy central link working for anyone else? It's just timing out for me.

Just checked. It is working for me.

Gah!!! What does that even MEAN??
One of these days, some Gaffer is going to have to explain what you see when you see "black"
Not sure, how I could have worded it better:
If somebody had asked me to describe Trevor Noah's colour, I would not have said black.
If somebody had asked me, if Trevor Noah is black, I would have said no.
For me it is a superficial look thing

Deadline wasn't the biggest fan either but aren't too negative about the future.

It seems like everyone's still a little bitter about Stewart leaving or they're so far up his butt that they can't find their way back out. Haha.
I love TDS, Colbert and I like Deadline.
But Deadline has run too many stories which boil down to: watch this great TDS or Colbert clip, acting as if some things they say were Hollywood related news in itself.

thefro

Thought it was a good debut. I agree that a lot of the stuff seemed written for Jon Stewart but that'll evolve as time goes on. Thought Trevor asked some good questions of Kevin Hart.

Roy Wood Jr was great but I've known him from Bob & Tom for a while, so that wasn't a surprise to me.

cameron

Trevor was great. He fits right in. The audience was cheering him on, which was really sweet. Some of the material was a bit flat, like parts of the Boehner segment. But that's more of a writing issue.

Didn't watch guest interview. I usually skip it unless I care about the guest.

To me, this seems like the classic case of comparing one guy's one episode against the other guys entire collection of episodes. Odds are, what we just saw was an average episode of TDS with Trevor Noah, but when you try to compare it to Jon's tenure, you're inevtiably going to think of all the best episode and moments he had. It's not really a fair comparison.

Besides, it's not like Jon was above making penis jokes or mocking Boehner for crying.

gabbo

Trevor was great. He fits right in. The audience was cheering him on, which was really sweet. Some of the material was a bit flat, like parts of the Boehner segment. But that's more of a writing issue.

Didn't watch guest interview. I usually skip it unless I care about the guest.

Oh come on, that wink at how to properly pronounce 'Boehner' was gold that made up for every other part of the segment

The question for me is does he care?

With Stewart, you knew that behind the facade of humor was a man that genuinely cared about the topics he joked about.

Does Noah care? Or is he just covering lines? Of course the things they care about will differ, but I think that it added a layer of depth to Jon's performance.

atr0cious

The question for me is does he care?

With Stewart, you knew that behind the facade of humor was a man that genuinely cared about the topics he joked about.

Does Noah care? Or is he just covering lines? Of course the things they care about will differ, but I think that it added a layer of depth to Jon's performance.
Noah was introduced to a comparison between apartheid and the American black experience. Of course he cares. Watch his stand up where he talks about wanting to be black.

Cagey

Banned
As a Jerseyan whose lived in NYC, I have a strong bias towards Jon Stewart's delivery and voice and exaggerated Jew/Italian-American gimmicks over the other hosts on late night, including Trevor Noah, but from watching last night's episode and the begining of tonight's... he's going to be fine.

His lower energy is a nice and welcome change-of-pace from how frenetic Stewart and Colbert had gotten by the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom