• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Daily Show with Trevor Noah |OT| same chair, different ass

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawkeyeIC

Noah wasn't too bad.

On the other hand I tuned in for about 5 minutes of Larry Wilmore and does anyone watch that show? Terrible.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Oh yeah big difference between the guests he cared about and the ones he just killed time with. Made me wish they dropped the segment or give him more time.

Sometimes it goes so far to the other end that it becomes amazing though. The Jason Bateman interview where its literally just them joking about Bateman going to a Jewish party and not knowing what anything is is one of my favorite bits Jon ever did

Codeblue

I haven't given Wilmore a shot in a long time. His opening segment is pretty strong, but I feel like that panel format for the guests is still going to hold him back from having a great show from start to finish.

Sanjuro

I haven't given Wilmore a shot in a long time. His opening segment is pretty strong, but I feel like that panel format for the guests is still going to hold him back from having a great show from start to finish.

I think it's simply people don't like him. The interview format could use work, but I'm not sure people are even getting to that portion of the program.

Kreed

Man, I felt kinda bad switching the channel to Colbert while Larry Wilmore made that desperate plea to nab Daily Show viewers.

That "plea" was for the non Comedy Central viewers. Since Viacom was only broadcasting the Daily Show on all their channels (Nick, VH1, Logo, BET, etc...) and not the Nightly Show, he was asking people to turn the channel to Comedy Central before their channels went back to their normal scheduled broadcasting.

MIMIC

Banned
I haven't watched the Daily Show in YEARS, but I tuned in tonight because I so happened to be watching MTV, and MTV was airing the episode. I only saw the first 5 minutes (had to run to the store) but I thought he was a very competent replacement. I hope he's received well.

Aeana

I thought he did incredibly well for a first show. You can tell he's still a bit uncomfortable, but he'll grow into it, just like Stewart did.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Watching on DVR so I can skip ads.

Nailed the first segment. Great timing and delivery and he seems very comfortable up there. Very pleasantly surprised.

gabbo

Eggplant winky face pope eating a cheese stake sandwich.
Golden. Noah nailed that first show. Much better than Jon's first, though the guest was about the same

Jonm1010

Banned
I was honestly blown away by how comfortable and natural it felt. Both my girlfriend and I laughed out loud a lot and I love the new correspondent.

I know this will be controversial but I thought Noah did better in his first show then Colbert did taking over the late show.

I know it's not quite comparable and part of it is I just enjoy political humor but yeah.

SoulUnison

Banned
I think it's simply people don't like him. The interview format could use work, but I'm not sure people are even getting to that portion of the program.

Wilmore has this weird smarminess about him.
Stewart, Colbert and Oliver are constantly grinning at the camera, but they don't miss a beat when there's a chance to make themselves the butt of a good joke, too.

I don't get that from Wilmore. When he grins at the audience I don't feel like he's in on the joke with us, I feel like he's just basking in his 15 minutes, thinking about how awesome he must look.

He's awful at improv, too. When he goes off script is usually pretty groan-worthy, and he has a tendency to run a joke into the ground when it doesn't get the response it was expecting.
He'll just keep beating a horse even when the stick he's using is weak as hell. Sometimes he'll just curse because there's no other way to get a response to a punchline.

He's just not anywhere near on the level of his contemporaries.

Then there's *another* level of awkwardness where his audience just *never* really seems to be completely into what's going on.
I don't think I've ever heard Larry get more than a "smattering" of applause.

Jonm1010

Banned
Wilmore has just never landed with me. I wasn't really a fan when he was a correspondent. I was shocked when he got the nod for a show. I gave it a chance at the beginning and didn't care for it. I was told to give it another chance more recently and I still just can't get into it.

It really comes down to I just haven't found him funny or most of his commentary interesting. Sure when he was channeling the brilliant writing not he Daily Show he was interesting but left to his own devices he really isnt.

Trevor killed it to night. Knew he could do it after I gave him a far shot in his stand up shows. Looking forward to this new daily show.

Not bad!

Was hoping for someone less spastic than Kevin Hart to get a feel for his interview style but overall he kept his shit together and made me laugh. The Whitney joke was a little tryhard but he had me at referring to Jon as an absentee father.

Wasn't as different as I thought it would be. He sorta brought his own version of "Stewartisms" in the joke delivery, and the jokes were on par as Jon Stewart's show.

I'll keep watching. The interview was pretty lame though.

Bowdz

Trevor fucking killed it tonight.

He honestly surpassed my expectations by quite a lot. The show didn't feel like it missed a beat (and honestly, improved from some of John's last few episodes where he completely just phoned it in). I'm excited to see more of Trevor!

Fusebox

Banned
Man, I felt kinda bad switching the channel to Colbert while Larry Wilmore made that desperate plea to nab Daily Show viewers.

I'm surprised by how much Larry has grown on me and how little I enjoy Colberts new format.

Looking forward to catching up on Noah's first show.

Jonm1010

Banned
I'm surprised by how much Larry has grown on me and how little I enjoy Colberts new format.

Looking forward to catching up on Noah's first show.
As a skeptic of Colberts late show transition I have to say he utterly killed it tonight. At least with the segment after the very good Michelle Obama interview. I haven't laughed that hard for a late night show in a long time.

Fusebox

Banned
Good to hear, I haven't seen the last few eps, I'll get caught up later.

Is the Scarjo interview still his lowest point so far?

Trey

Not bad. The jokes didn't really land with me, but it's not like he had the most scintillating material to work with. He felt nervous to me. I think the sooner we get out from Stewart's shadow and the show truly becomes Noah's own, the better.

Very smooth transition, so far. It really felt exactly like I was watching The Daily Show I've always known. Which isn't too surprising, considering so much talent didn't change at all beyond the host. If he's starting this strong, I can imagine Trevor growing into the role even more. He still had some rough edges, but it was a great start.

Akyan

Wow, just watched the opening clip on the Comedy Central you tube channel. Very natural, barely missed a beat.

Slime

Banned
Thought he did pretty well. Definitely taking a liking to him way faster than I did Stewart. As a fan from the Kilborn era, I didn't like Jon much until the Iraq war days.

Best thing about the episode was that Roy dude, though. Want to see more of him!

Good episode. I'm not sold on Noah's delivery yet but the content itself is as good as ever. Given some time to grow into the role he could be great.

Dude needs to work on his spit-take, though. That was weak.

Chariot

I liked it very much overall, but he somehow fails when he lampshades things. Gotta work on that. But I am sure he'll grow into it.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Great start

pretty safe episode, kept everything familiar, but looking forward to the new shit he's gonna add soon.

This episode almost felt like it tried a little too much to be like Stewart's TDS, but I ultimately enjoyed it and can't wait to see how the show's going to develop over the next couple of months.

RC

Banned
I enjoyed it. Think Noah's going to do just fine.

Was dissapointed that the set didn't end up looking all that different though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom