• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

I realized the OP is a little out of date so I made this:

full-listt7u4e.jpg

Not the prettiest graphic ever, but conveys what it needs to convey. No banner = buy it today. Vault banner = it's in the vault, if you still see it pick it up but you might not be able to find it. No Blu = No Blu-Ray available or dated. Green date banner = Release date upcoming. Feel free to repost somewhere else if you want to, I don't need any credit for it.

Good thinking. I've added it to the OP. I'll keep the Amazon links for now, but I can take them off if people prefer this.

I've done my best to keep it updated, but it really is a bitch to keep track of everything - especially as Disney ramps up the frequency of Blu-ray releases.

Good thinking. I've added it to the OP. I'll keep the Amazon links for now, but I can take them off if people prefer this.

I've done my best to keep it updated, but it really is a bitch to keep track of everything - especially as Disney ramps up the frequency of Blu-ray releases.

Do people hate Amazon?

Cat

isny

napkin dispenser
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Beauty and the Beast, Bambi, The Lion King, and Lady and the Tramp have all just recently been vaulted as of April 30th, so for those of you who have yet to pick them up, you still may be able to find them for a decent price. Just an FYI for those looking at Stumps list and thinking you're going to need to pay an arm and a leg for those titles.

cory64

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Beauty and the Beast, Bambi, The Lion King, and Lady and the Tramp have all just recently been vaulted as of April 30th, so for those of you who have yet to pick them up, you still may be able to find them for a decent price. Just an FYI for those looking at Stumps list and thinking you're going to need to pay an arm and a leg for those titles.
Snow White and Beauty and the Beast are long gone.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Need to update the graphic. Aladdin did come out on Bluray, just not in the states and it's region free.

191c4198ccf72c84a7c12a8f98365bc5.JPG

Yes, several of the "no blu" category are out outside the US, but the listings in the OP were always US-based so that's what I went with in doing the picture (hence the bottom saying "All dates US"). I think cory pointed out that only Black Cauldron and the package films are undated in the rest of the world?

If someone wants to do an EU version it's pretty simple -- 1000px wide image, each BRD is 200px wide by whatever tall, I'm not sure where you get European box art.

So I bought the 5 studio ghibli movies that amazon had on sale but I was wondering, do we know if they'll release all the dvds as blurays? I mean you can get most on dvd still but I don't want to buy those if they'll all eventually be added to bluray. Has disney said one way or the other with them yet?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So I bought the 5 studio ghibli movies that amazon had on sale but I was wondering, do we know if they'll release all the dvds as blurays? I mean you can get most on dvd still but I don't want to buy those if they'll all eventually be added to bluray. Has disney said one way or the other with them yet?

Disney doesn't pre-announce much, but there's no obvious dead weight in the Ghibli collection like the package films in the Disney collection, so I'd expect all of them. Not everything is out in Japan (Spirited Away, Ocean Waves, The Cat Returns at least, not sure what else) so I'd expect Japanese releases before US ones.

Actually, come to think of it, weren't there are least a few that didn't even get English DVDs?

Disney doesn't pre-announce much, but there's no obvious dead weight in the Ghibli collection like the package films in the Disney collection, so I'd expect all of them. Not everything is out in Japan (Spirited Away, Ocean Waves, The Cat Returns at least, not sure what else) so I'd expect Japanese releases before US ones.

Actually, come to think of it, weren't there are least a few that didn't even get English DVDs?

There probably almost certainly are. I think studio ghibli as a company has released about 25 or so movies and I don't remember that many dvds but I haven't looked it up to be certain. I'll just hold off for now then. I'm in no rush and as long as they haven't said or hinted at stopping then I'm fine with it. I would think at a minimum the ones previously released on dvd would also eventually reach bluray which was my biggest worry. If one wasn't on dvd then it's more understandable if there's no bluray.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
There probably almost certainly are. I think studio ghibli as a company has released about 25 or so movies and I don't remember that many dvds but I haven't looked it up to be certain. I'll just hold off for now then. I'm in no rush and as long as they haven't said or hinted at stopping then I'm fine with it. I would think at a minimum the ones previously released on dvd would also eventually reach bluray which was my biggest worry. If one wasn't on dvd then it's more understandable if there's no bluray.

I just put in the quick legwork for you

Code:
[b]Title					US	JPN[/b]
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind	Y	Y
Castle in the Sky			Y	Y
Grave of the Fireflies			Y*	Y
My Neighbor Totoro			Y	Y
Kiki's Delivery Service			N	Y
Only Yesterday				N	Y
Porco Rosso				N	Y (Upcoming)
Pom Poko				N	N
Whisper of the Heart			Y	Y
Princess Mononoke			N	N
My Neighbors the Yamadas		N	Y
Spirited Away				N	N
The Cat Returns				N	N
Howl's Moving Castle			Y	Y
Tales from Earthsea			N	Y
Ponyo					Y	Y
Arrietty				Y	Y
From Up on Poppy Hill			Y(U)	Y

(Just counted the Ghibli official theatrical movies + Nausicaa, not the other pre-Ghibli stuff or Ocean Waves). So you can see Disney is not quite caught up but also isn't crazy behind. I suspect Ghibli are saving Mononoke-hime and Spirited Away for their two big marquee titles. Kiki and Only Yesterday were the last two Japanese releases.

* Grave of the Fireflies is on US Blu but not released through Disney. I just found this out by Googling, so I don't know how the deal works.

Edit: Also, holy fuck the Japanese Blu-Rays are nice looking:
http://i.imgur.com/LkqIfwJ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/n2pnkaZ.jpg
dat consistent branding

Code:
[b]Title					US	JPN[/b]
Castle in the Sky			Y	Y
My Neighbor Totoro			Y	Y
Only Yesterday				N	Y
Pom Poko				N	N
Princess Mononoke			N	N
Spirited Away				N	N
The Cat Reutnrs				N	N
Tales from Earthsea			Y	Y
Ponyo					Y	Y
Arrietty (available as signup)		Y	Y
From Up on Poppy Hill			N	Y

(Just counted the Ghibli official theatrical movies + Nausicaa, not the other pre-Ghibli stuff or Ocean Waves). So you can see Disney is not quite caught up but also isn't crazy behind. I suspect Ghibli are saving Mononoke-hime and Spirited Away for their two big marquee titles. Kiki and Only Yesterday were the last two Japanese releases.

* Grave of the Fireflies is on US Blu but not released through Disney. I just found this out by Googling, so I don't know how the deal works.

Ya, I saw that when looking on amazon earlier with grave of the fireflies... I'm assuming Disney also has the publishing rights for that, right? I sort of want that since I heard it was really good but I would think Disney would want to make their own version for release.

That's not too bad in difference of releases so far. And ya, I'm assuming they're saving the big ones for last so it'll be a little bit until spirited away and such is released.

Edit: Damn, those jp covers are gorgeous...

Also, is $28 normal for studio ghibli blurays? Are they usually a little more? Just seems weird seeing it at $28 preorder for Totoro and Howl's castle that come out on tuesday.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Still no Hercules or Spirited Away on Blu? I check every year and it seems they're never coming :(

The list of remaining Disney films is pretty short. Black Cauldron and the Package Movies are the duffers, and besides those there are only 5 remaining undated Disney films. Hercules and Tarzan will most definitely be two of the minor releases next year. Actually I'd expect to see all of the remaining non-package Disney films next year.

Spirited Away will probably be the final Ghibli release in Japan, so probably end of 2014, so maybe early-mid 2015 for US release.

isny

napkin dispenser
Also, is $28 normal for studio ghibli blurays? Are they usually a little more? Just seems weird seeing it at $28 preorder for Totoro and Howl's castle that come out on tuesday.

Yes, very normal. The retail here in Canada is almost $35. $40+ with tax...

Better off getting them through the movie club once they're listed.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ya, I saw that when looking on amazon earlier with grave of the fireflies... I'm assuming Disney also has the publishing rights for that, right? I sort of want that since I heard it was really good but I would think Disney would want to make their own version for release.

No, Sentai has the US rights for Grave of the Fireflies. It's not a big deal, except that the dub is bad to bland, depending on your tolerance of such things, and it doesn't "match up" with the Disney licensed BDs.

My understanding is that From Up On Poppy Hill is also not licensed by Disney and is the first new Ghibli film that will be distributed by someone else, but I might be misremembering that fact.

Sushigod7

I'd be happy with Japan releases of Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away next year one at the beginning the other at the end I'll import those. I'm excited to watch Totoro on BR Tuesday is going to be a fun day!

f@luS

More than a member.
The list of remaining Disney films is pretty short. Black Cauldron and the Package Movies are the duffers, and besides those there are only 5 remaining undated Disney films. Hercules and Tarzan will most definitely be two of the minor releases next year. Actually I'd expect to see all of the remaining non-package Disney films next year.

Spirited Away will probably be the final Ghibli release in Japan, so probably end of 2014, so maybe early-mid 2015 for US release.

How many are yet even unnanounced supposed to come ?
I buy both USA and uk movies. Here WE already have tarzan

I'm around 50-60 disneys. Need to Check

f@luS

More than a member.

Code:
[b]Title					US	JPN[/b]
Castle in the Sky			Y	Y
My Neighbor Totoro			Y	Y
Only Yesterday				N	Y
Pom Poko				N	N
Princess Mononoke			N	N
Spirited Away				N	N
The Cat Returns				N	N
Tales from Earthsea			N	Y
Ponyo					Y	Y
Arrietty				Y	Y
From Up on Poppy Hill			Y(U)	Y

Edit: Also, holy fuck the Japanese Blu-Rays are nice looking:
http://i.imgur.com/LkqIfwJ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/n2pnkaZ.jpg
dat consistent branding

Here ,in EU , we have 10 released, and 3 coming in july.
5 will be missing if u understand ? your liste is complete?

Yes, very normal. The retail here in Canada is almost $35. $40+ with tax...

Better off getting them through the movie club once they're listed.
Ah, ok. Hopefully it stays at that price since I just dropped almost $100 on blurays from them and dont' have the money right now.
No, Sentai has the US rights for Grave of the Fireflies. It's not a big deal, except that the dub is bad to bland, depending on your tolerance of such things, and it doesn't "match up" with the Disney licensed BDs.

My understanding is that From Up On Poppy Hill is also not licensed by Disney and is the first new Ghibli film that will be distributed by someone else, but I might be misremembering that fact.

Ah, I didn't know that. I was just reading on wikipedia last night and saw they gave pretty much all the rights for other countries to disney for the releases so I was curious. Does that movie and the Disney movies have japanese audio? Some of the trailers on youtube seem to have sucky english voice actors but they're also not the disney trailers. If the voices are bad though do they have japanese voices and then I can just use english subtitles? The two disney trailers the voices sounded fine, the rest seemed like really old voice acting.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So, how often does the Disney movie club add new movies? I'm interested in their 4 movies for a dollar deal but the selection is kinda meh.

For your commitment titles they add new ones at release. For your signup titles there's a pretty long lag between release and availability. The trick is to make your full commitment list in advance and instead of thinking of it as "I'm getting crap for free and paying full price for what I want", averaging the total cost for your membership out and thinking of it that way.

Holy mackerel I can't believe. It always feels like the forgotten movie. I loved watching this on VHS all the time as a kid. I haven't seen it since. This may not be my favorite Disney movie but it's definitely my most anticipated. Didn't think it'd be getting the BR treatment even with the recent signs.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm assuming Disney also has the publishing rights for that, right? I sort of want that since I heard it was really good but I would think Disney would want to make their own version for release.

Disney doesn't have the rights to Graves of the Fireflies, nor do they have the rights to From Up on Poppy Hill.

Hex

Banned
Anything odd up with Little Mermaid?
I got an email from Amazon:

We do not have an estimated delivery date for the items below. We will email you with an update on your delivery date in 30 days, or as soon as the items are ready to ship.

Rene Auberjonois "The Little Mermaid (Three-Disc Diamond Edition) (Blu-ray 3D / Blu-ray / DVD + Digital Copy + Music)"

We will make every effort to get the delayed item(s) to you as soon as possible. If there are other items in your order, they'll be shipped according to the delivery estimates listed in the order details in Your Account (-) at no additional cost.

Cheska

Wowza, Best Buy only had one copy of My Neighbor Totoro and Howls Moving Castle each :O Crossing my fingers we get Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke next.

HoJu

Wowza, Best Buy only had one copy of My Neighbor Totoro and Howls Moving Castle each :O Crossing my fingers we get Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke next.
no fuck you PORCO ROSSO MOTHERFUCKER
and ONLY YESTERDAY because it's impossible to find.

Holy mackerel I can't believe. It always feels like the forgotten movie. I loved watching this on VHS all the time as a kid. I haven't seen it since. This may not be my favorite Disney movie but it's definitely my most anticipated. Didn't think it'd be getting the BR treatment even with the recent signs.

Awesome news, this is insta buy.

Top Bottom