• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Double Toasted team AKA the best film reviewers out there

It was an hour of Will awkwardly trying to host a show with zero help while Korey and Martin(?) sit across him looking kinda uncomfortable. His host inexperience was painfully obvious, but it was a joy to watch with the chat losing their shit the entire time.

Ah, okay. Actually when people were bringing it up, I was like

"I bet it's the guy from the BvS video"

Because he really kind of seemed to struggle a bit just from being behind a microphone, let alone hosting. Seems nice, but definitely I could imagine how the show went off the rails.

Pepboy

I hope they refocus. Love DT but they've had so much awkward drama lately. Danielle honestly needs to go IMO, she rarely offers anything noteworthy besides cringe.

Can't agree more about DT. I don't think she's ever made me laugh, nor does she offer any interesting insights. She feels like a groupie that got too close to the band. I think a woman could be a good addition to the group but she should be able to provide the same level of discourse as the others.

I can definitely feel bad for Danielle, but yeah, in that episode she is being pretty self-centered. She's not listening to anyone - she's hearing them, but not listening - and she refuses to drop the point and keeps trying to derail the topic to how she was feeling.

Otherwise too, yeah, Danielle seems like she is nice, but she is an anchor. She's never funny, and she's often wrong (sometimes to the point of offense). Sammy, Ray, Martin, Korey, and Korey G all are capable of carrying things (with the latter three most capable at it), but Danielle feels like she always needs to be carried, and often whenever she tries to carry things, it's usually in the wrong direction.

Pepboy

I can definitely feel bad for Danielle, but yeah, in that episode she is being pretty self-centered. She's not listening to anyone - she's hearing them, but not listening - and she refuses to drop the point and keeps trying to derail the topic to how she was feeling.

Otherwise too, yeah, Danielle seems like she is nice, but she is an anchor. She's never funny, and she's often wrong (sometimes to the point of offense). Sammy, Ray, Martin, Korey, and Korey G all are capable of carrying things (with the latter three most capable at it), but Danielle feels like she always needs to be carried, and often whenever she tries to carry things, it's usually in the wrong direction.

It makes me feel like she knows she's not capable of it, and that's why she was pushing for a drunk show -- so she could lower the level to something she was more comfortable with. Might have worked if she was the only sober one, but her being drunk as well just makes the differences obvious.

Any time stamps for her most ratchet moments?

1:52 and 1:53 is where they start getting into it. I think she twerks but I'm not sure if that was the first instance.

2:02 - 2:04 is where Korey vocalizes the reality and finally puts into words why I think his content is generally so outstanding. I'm not sure if he realized it before, but he crystalizes his thoughts -- if all Danielle has is twerking, showing her tits (she offered it to Julien, I think), and laughing, then she's not cut out of the show. Especially for a show that she was the main driving force behind, and she prepared nothing. The one thing she prepared was watching this short film, she chats on her phone, and then she provides no criticism, no critiques, the only thing she says to the director is nonsense. It's pretty clear that Danielle had also quite a bit to drink (Korey too) before the show -- something KoreyG mentioned to her as not being a good idea around 2:09.

It makes me feel like she knows she's not capable of it, and that's why she was pushing for a drunk show -- so she could lower the level to something she was more comfortable with. Might have worked if she was the only sober one, but her being drunk as well just makes the differences obvious.

I think her problem is that she doesn't appreciate that Korey is speaking to her like her employer, because he pretty much is. She needs to imagine what it would be like if she was acting the way she was, and responding to his criticisms the way she was, if he was her supervisor in a traditional job.

Seesaw15

Martin's face the whole show.
Holy shit.This is hard to watch.
RuCh3i.gif

I think her problem is that she doesn't appreciate that Korey is speaking to her like her employer, because he pretty much is. She needs to imagine what it would be like if she was acting the way she was, and responding to his criticisms the way she was, if he was her supervisor in a traditional job.

Felt bad for her. She seems to roll with a "party first" mentality. Half her stories tell you she's seen/done some serious shit. Some folks find it hard to break them old habits. Hopefully she doesn't go too crazy and quit tonight..I'm guessing that'd just put her in a bad place right now.

Pepboy

I'm actually okay with how she reacted. She didn't handle it well, but I don't feel like that makes a difference.

Like if she's trying to be an employee of a film critique podcast -- why not pick up a book on film criticism? I get maybe she's not the most witty -- but why not review the stuff in advance, take a few notes?

I'm actually okay with how she reacted. She didn't handle it well, but I don't feel like that makes a difference.

Like if she's trying to be an employee of a film critique podcast -- why not pick up a book on film criticism? I get maybe she's not the most witty -- but why not review the stuff in advance, take a few notes?

I just mean that I think she does take his criticisms too personally/too lightly because it's not a traditional employment role she's in; whereas in a different situation, she might have been a little more relaxed, calm, and absorbent of the information she's getting. Whereas here, it seems like she just sees this situation as her friends telling her how bad she is instead of co-workers trying to point out faults and help her improve.

Felt bad for her. She seems to roll with a "party first" mentality. Half her stories tell you she's seen/done some serious shit. Some folks find it hard to break them old habits. Hopefully she doesn't go too crazy and quit tonight..I'm guessing that'd just put her in a bad place right now.

I definitely felt bad for her, but at the same time felt bad for Korey that he was in that position where he had to be kind of mean. I definitely would rather see her improve than leave.

I think it's a difficult thing to receive clearly in front of a live internet audience. Probably would have gone down better if he cut off the stream when it clearly wasn't working and then telling her.

jmood88

I don't feel bad for her at all and she's lucky she didn't get fired. I typically just watch the film reviews but every time I see a video with her, everybody else is doing all the work and she's just sitting there on her phone. Sbe showed up to work with nothing planned for the special show she wanted, then went on her phone when she wasn't act like she was at a club, then yelled at her boss. As for the "they shouldn't have done it on the show" thing, everybody tried to move on but she wanted to keep it going.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
This is too much. Hahaha

Edit: The show went the typical bar night trajectory. Everybody easing into it, getting drunk. Then closing time hits near the end and people start fighting and crying.

The part where she says that Mia loves her

And Martin replies with "What do you base that on?"

708513.gif

Ice cold. The problem with the drunk show is that Danielle wasn't even cognizant of what people were saying to and about her.

Martin said what everyone was thinking. lmao What does she base it on? I love all of the crew, even Danielle. I may have been in a bad mood when I was hating on Korey G, but he is a stand up dude.

But this stream omg... It is so hard to get through. I'm at the 2:20 mark. Had to take some breaks and do some other stuff around the house. But when I come back. Damn... I actually had to grab a drink myself. During the call with Jenny, when she comes back on camera, you can tell she is hella upset. It's about to go down... *shivers*

Oh god, this drama should not have happened while they were drunk, even though Korey's bluntness was somewhat needed.
This is incredibly hard to watch.

zeioIIDX

I feel bad for her. I think Korey really went off though especially cause he has Mia and Danielle shouldn't be doing that stuff to a dude who isn't single as well as someone who is her co-worker/boss. Damn, he even went in on Martin for a minute. I don't like seeing her cry...this was hard to watch. I really hope Danielle takes what they said to heart and doesn't leave. She really didn't twerk, she kinda just shook her booty for like 2 seconds.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I watched the whole thing (I skipped through Monkey with a Gun though). I don't have timestamps, but Danielle:

-Twerked multiple times on Korey's arm (at least 3 times), sometimes almost getting on his lap.
-Nearly showed her boob but Korey stopped her.
-Pulled Korey's shirt up to the nipple.
-Pulled her skirt up at one point and showed her ass and panties.
-Kicked off her shoes under the table, which led to Martin making a face and Korey asking what was up.
-Didn't watch Monkey with a Gun and didn't comment on it (before they started she was the one asking for them to play the movie already).
-During the movie and parts of the show she was checking her phone multiple times, sometimes for several seconds.
-She was the one who kept pushing for the drunk show, but for the majority of it she didn't add to the conversation and kept leaving the studio.
-They explained what was the deal to her 3 different times and she clearly didn't understand anything. KG kept saying they shouldn't talk about that on air, but Danielle insisted whenever they started talking about her again.

I agree that it would be better if those conversations didn't happen on air, and definitely not with everyone drunk. But watching the whole show it was easy to see things boiling up to what Korey said near the end. They were all extremely patient with her and the only thing they wanted was to have a fun show, and for her to tone down the crazy party shit a bit and actually join in.

I like Danielle and I hope they work things out with her after she sobers up, but even though it was messy I feel like this show will have a good effect for them in the long run. Korey and Martin also felt that they had to clear the air on some things between them later btw, but nothing dramatic.

I didnt watch the clips you all talking about it but it sounds brutal. I am gonna stick to watching their movie reviews extravaganza-ganza!-ganza!-ganza!-ganza!-ganza!

Egg0

Banned
Ooof. I skipped to some of time stamped parts that people have posted because I couldn't watch through the whole thing but, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

It's right up there with the episode of NSFW podcast featuring Korey and Martin, where the two hosts get into a fight.

Fury451

Banned
Ooof. I skipped to some of time stamped parts that people have posted because I couldn't watch through the whole thing but, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

It's right up there with the episode of NSFW podcast featuring Korey and Martin, where the two hosts get into a fight.

Yeah, couldn't make it. My skin crawled off and didn't even say goodbye.

Never saw that NSFW episode. Sounds pretty brutal too

Bloomers

I usually keep up with the SCpodcasts of Double Toasted so I was wondering why this week seemed to skip a date.

Currently watching the posted vid and I'm at the 1 hour mark, trying to be prepared for the worst :/

Like someone else mentioned, I think Korey was a little extra aggressive because of the tension it's creating between him and Mia. I knew it was only a matter of time because I have always noticed how Danielle likes to hug on him and stuff. Always wondered if that was going to come to a head after a while. Maybe have her sit on the opposite side with Martin?

Wait what? Can someone give a link?

Like someone else mentioned, I think Korey was a little extra aggressive because of the tension it's creating between him and Mia. I knew it was only a matter of time because I have always noticed how Danielle likes to hug on him and stuff. Always wondered if that was going to come to a head after a while. Maybe have her sit on the opposite side with Martin?

Agreed. I still thinking about how brutal that whole exchange was. Definitely seemed like Korey, at least, reached a boiling point and unloaded on her.

For her part, Danielle seems to (not so subtly) be way into Korey and it creates this awkward chemistry between them. Switching her and Korey G might be best.

Agreed. I still thinking about how brutal that whole exchange was. Definitely seemed like Korey, at least, reached a boiling point and unloaded on her.

For her part, Danielle seems to (not so subtly) be way into Korey and it creates this awkward chemistry between them. Switching her and Korey G might be best.

Korey G is bi though - he may only be like 20% gay (I think that's the figure he gave), but what if sitting next to Korey flips his switch? I don't want to see Korey G twerking on him

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Well they basically touched on something that had been addressed before on a previous show with Danielle trying to use sex and her body to get attention. It's a touchy subject because you have these guys trying to push her to see herself as more. There isn't anything wrong with sex, but there is more. Her trying to get a proverbial and literal rise out of Korey by showing her body was what set him off.

Sai

And while I do wish that it never happened on camera at all, Korey didn't truly blow up until she started saying she shouldn't be on there anymore, which he interpreted as just running away from the issue. Until that point, despite the tension she made between him and Mia, despite being inebriated, despite throwing her butt in his face multiple times, he held that back.

Anyways, looking forward to the Sunday service. Hope they've already reached some kind of resolution, and she doesn't outright quit.

Fury451

Banned
Well they basically touched on something that had been addressed before on a previous show with Danielle trying to use sex and her body to get attention. It's a touchy subject because you have these guys trying to push her to see herself as more. There isn't anything wrong with sex, but there is more. Her trying to get a proverbial and literal rise out of Korey by showing her body was what set him off.

Martin was right, she can bring depth at times, but she really hasn't done that consistently and definitely didn't show up here.

And yeah, I was wondering when it would get weird for Korey with how he is with Mia. It's almost like they play "characters" normally- or at least exaggerate and kid each other, but here it got real with her twerking and all that and he definitely wasn't down with it and it all came out.

Like I said, unnecessary drama. One of my favorite review/discussion shows, but I hate to see it keep getting sidetracked.

Top Bottom