• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

jet1911

Jonnyram said:
You have to
loot his corpse, and take his armour to Ysabel.
I'm assuming that's all you're missing.

That was it. Stupid me. :O And I agree with what everyone said about the Dark Brotherhood questline, it's great! :D

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Red Mercury said:
I've read a few sites which offer somewhat cheaper ways to finish this task, but I was wondering if there was a more legitimate way of dealing with this section of the game?

Well, you can get around having the weapons / armor removed by having quest weapons in your inventory. I had Umbra at the time, and ended up with that. Really though, even with a good weapon, I couldn't beat it until I went straight for the guy who took my stuff and killed him first, then immediately looted his corpse to get all my stuff back.

Also, I noticed that
the prisoner always dies, no matter what you do. Because of that, you might just be better off killing the prisoner then waiting for all the mythic dawn to leave to get the book. It makes that segment MUCH easier.

Nerevar said:
Well, you can get around having the weapons / armor removed by having quest weapons in your inventory. I had Umbra at the time, and ended up with that. Really though, even with a good weapon, I couldn't beat it until I went straight for the guy who took my stuff and killed him first, then immediately looted his corpse to get all my stuff back.

Also, I noticed that
the prisoner always dies, no matter what you do. Because of that, you might just be better off killing the prisoner then waiting for all the mythic dawn to leave to get the book. It makes that segment MUCH easier.

Prisoner didn't die for me.
But then again, my cover was blown early and I had to go in guns-blazin'! :)

Nerevar said:
Also, I noticed that

I saved him.
You even see him again later on in the Imperial Temple where he'll thank you for saving him.

SonnyBoy

ok guys, I need a bit of help. I put the game down for a while because I got frustrated. This is the 1st RPG Ive ever truely tried to play and the learning curve got to me.

Im a wood elf/theif/marksmen. I tried to make my player well rounded, so I can do a little bit of everything. My bow and arrow attacks are kinda weak for the level Im on and Ive been reading that you need to use alchemy/magic to support it. Can anyone point me in the right direction to help me get through this mild slump?

Whats a good way to build up my alchemy and utilize it? As you can see, I dont quite understand it too well. Im going to search through this thread tonight but any further help would be appreciated.

SonnyBoy said:
ok guys, I need a bit of help. I put the game down for a while because I got frustrated. This is the 1st RPG Ive ever truely tried to play and the learning curve got to me.

Im a wood elf/theif/marksmen. I tried to make my player well rounded, so I can do a little bit of everything. My bow and arrow attacks are kinda weak for the level Im on and Ive been reading that you need to use alchemy/magic to support it. Can anyone point me in the right direction to help me get through this mild slump?

Whats a good way to build up my alchemy and utilize it? As you can see, I dont quite understand it too well. Im going to search through this thread tonight but any further help would be appreciated.

Using alchemy means creating poisons and applying them to your bow so the shot does more damage. You can also enchant your bow to do magical damage.

Unless you're at a level high enough that you have a soul trap spell and Azura's Star I wouldn't bother with enchanting, as the charges for the item run out really quick and it costs a fortune to pay to recharge.

Using poisons is easier (costs nothing if you make your own), and you aren't stuck with one kind of added effect. Building up your alchemy skill is one of the easiest things to do.

Find a garden with a ton of crops (doesn't matter what). Pick everything in sight. Now go to the alchemy menu (requires that you have at least a mortar & pestle) and start combining the crops you picked and creating restore fatigue potions. Just doing this over and over will increase your skill a ton, and you can sell the potions for some cash.

Nerevar

Confidence Man said:
I saved him.
You even see him again later on in the Imperial Temple where he'll thank you for saving him.

interesting. My experience has always been like the original poster's -
even if I save him from being sacrificed, he immediately runs into the next room and down the hallways, ending up being ambushed and killed by 2 or 3 mythic dawn in the big open chamber. I just got pissed at him and killed him because I was dying trying to save his ass.

SonnyBoy

Confidence Man said:
Using alchemy means creating poisons and applying them to your bow so the shot does more damage. You can also enchant your bow to do magical damage.

Unless you're at a level high enough that you have a soul trap spell and Azura's Star I wouldn't bother with enchanting, as the charges for the item run out really quick and it costs a fortune to pay to recharge.

Using poisons is easier (costs nothing if you make your own), and you aren't stuck with one kind of added effect. Building up your alchemy skill is one of the easiest things to do.

Find a garden with a ton of crops (doesn't matter what). Pick everything in sight. Now go to the alchemy menu (requires that you have at least a mortar & pestle) and start combining the crops you picked and creating restore fatigue potions. Just doing this over and over will increase your skill a ton, and you can sell the potions for some cash.

Thanks A LOT!!! Its appreciated.

I have one more question. I purchased a horse and when I got off of it and got back on I was accussed of stealing. Was that a glitch?

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Prisoner didn't die for me.
But then again, my cover was blown early and I had to go in guns-blazin'! :)
I got a good chunk of the way into the shrine, the "peaceful" way. I then decided I wasn't having any fun doing that, and re-loaded. I wiped them out. All of them.

I also saved the prisoner. I just didn't release him until I'd cleared out most of the place. There had to have been a good 50-60 guys in there. It got REALLY fun, especially when I busted out the fireballs and arrows of Stormcall in crowded hallways. Corpses flying everywhere. :lol

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Similar to what I did, but not quite.
I agreed to go after the second Crown as well, so I could get the location on the map. I then waited until dark to sneak in and steal the one from the woman's place, and then went to the dungeon to retrieve the second one. After weighing the value of both of them, I kept the second one for myself, and gave the one from the woman to the Collector. :D I ended up wearing that crown as my helmet for much of the game then. :D I don't want to give too much away, but eventually, I returned the crown to that woman by breaking back into her house, and putting it back where it belonged! :lol
Ah, cool. I think I'll look at the effects of each and decide which to keep. I'll probably
keep the one I stole, since it will fence for a ton when I get tired of it.

GhaleonEB said:
Ah, cool. I think I'll look at the effects of each and decide which to keep. I'll probably
keep the one I stole, since it will fence for a ton when I get tired of it.

Yeah, they're both worth more than 10k gold I believe.

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Yeah, they're both worth more than 10k gold I believe.
****ing sales limit. I keep selling stuff for 1200 gold and then see them selling it back for 5-6k. Grrrr. 1200 gold fenced will more than double my total, but it still stings selling stuff for so much below potential.

Nerevar

GhaleonEB said:
I got a good chunk of the way into the shrine, the "peaceful" way. I then decided I wasn't having any fun doing that, and re-loaded. I wiped them out. All of them.

I also saved the prisoner. I just didn't release him until I'd cleared out most of the place. There had to have been a good 50-60 guys in there. It got REALLY fun, especially when I busted out the fireballs and arrows of Stormcall in crowded hallways. Corpses flying everywhere. :lol

Haha, yeah, my favorite was how they would all run away when I dealt a good deal of damage to them and congregate at the end of hallways. So you'd have five or six near-dead mythic dawn standing shoulder-to-shoulder. On top of that I had just completed the mages guild, so I had all these scrolls that were like "lightning damage, 110 points in 50 feet" or something, so I decided "what the hell?". The results made for one of the more entertaining missions in the game.

GhaleonEB said:
****ing sales limit. I keep selling stuff for 1200 gold and then see them selling it back for 5-6k. Grrrr. 1200 gold fenced will more than double my total, but it still stings selling stuff for so much below potential.

Yeah, and my Mercantile Skill isn't high enough to Invest in a shop, so I'm stuck with that limit too. Still, with over 300k gold, I have more money than I know what to do with anyway! :lol

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Yeah, and my Mercantile Skill isn't high enough to Invest in a shop, so I'm stuck with that limit too. Still, with over 300k gold, I have more money than I know what to do with anyway! :lol
I'm still working on buying all the houses in the game. You can dump a whole lotta gold into those. :lol After that, it's just going to accumulate.

I'd just like to add that the weapon enchanting and spell-making altars at the Arcane University suck. I have yet to craft a spell that I can cast that's any better or more intesting than what I purchased. The best weapon I can find still pales next to one I made with a Sigil stone 15 levels ago. Biggest let down in the game for me so far, since that's what I was looking forward to in the University.

Nerevar

GhaleonEB said:
I'm still working on buying all the houses in the game. You can dump a whole lotta gold into those. :lol After that, it's just going to accumulate.

I'd just like to add that the weapon enchanting and spell-making altars at the Arcane University suck. I have yet to craft a spell that I can cast that's any better or more intesting than what I purchased. The best weapon I can find still pales next to one I made with a Sigil stone 15 levels ago. Biggest let down in the game for me so far, since that's what I was looking forward to in the University.

agreed. The fact that you can't actually delete spells only makes it worse. What ends up happening is the number of spells you have accumulates to the point where it gets unwieldy, and you kind of just stop using them (at least for me). They really need to add some kind of intelligent feature so we can delete spells from the spellbook. I can understand them gimping enchanting, as that was one part of what made Morrowind TOTALLY broken, but it is disappointing that the stuff you make is so weak compared to what you can find in the gameworld.

Yeah, and I only bought one house, since I really didn't see the need in having more than that. I'd just have stuff stored in each of them, and not remembers where to go to find stuff. :)

That said, I'll probably do the Haunted House Quest before it's all done.

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Yeah, and I only bought one house, since I really didn't see the need in having more than that. I'd just have stuff stored in each of them, and not remembers where to go to find stuff. :)

Oh, I keep all of my stuff in the hovel at the main city. I was starting to scatter it. But there's a quest attached to each house (even if it's just "buy all the upgrades") and I'm kind of a sucker for trying to complete every quest I can. Plus, it gives me something to save for.

Posts in this thread so far:

Kung Fu Jedi 438
Speevy 272
GhaleonEB 236

:lol

GhaleonEB said:
Oh, I keep all of my stuff in the hovel at the main city. I was starting to scatter it. But there's a quest attached to each house (even if it's just "buy all the upgrades") and I'm kind of a sucker for trying to complete every quest I can. Plus, it gives me something to save for.

Kung Fu Jedi 438
Speevy 272
GhaleonEB 236

Holy Crap! I had no idea I had posted that much, but I suppose I've been here since Day 1. Good thing I had that week long ban, or I'd be over 500! :D

Xenon

Kung Fu Jedi said:

Yes a favorites spell tab would be very helpful. Also they should add the ability to have 8 more hotkeys by hitting the trigger when you have Y or the Dpad pressed down. Shit they could add 16 if they use both triggers.

[edit]Anyone have a chance to check on Fort Doublecross?

Nerevar

GhaleonEB said:

Kung Fu Jedi 438
Speevy 272
GhaleonEB 236

how do you get the post count for the thread?

GhaleonEB

Dammit! The Collector's Quest is over for me. Don't read this if you don't want the quest ruined for you.

So I gave Umbracano the correct crown, and headed off to the Alyid Ruin to meet him. Of course he brings that SOB that ambushed me earlier, but I don't kill him and let him come with. Not much to say until we get to the end of the ruin. Right as I head down the last staircase to the spot on the wall that the artifact gets inserted into, I notice that the staircase is selectable. I try to "activate" it, and it says it's activated elsewhere. Gee, I wonder if they're going to retract?!?! To cap it off I'm wearing a helmet enchanted with Detect Life so I can see all the enemies hiding in the walls. Talk about knowing what you're walking into.

Mostly, that is. I did not anticipate what happened to Umbracano. I'm really, really bummed he's dead. I had only found five of the ten Alyid statues, and the quest is now listed as completed (which makes sense). Is there some kind of bonus for finding all ten? That was one of my big goals, and the lack of closure on the quest is really bugging me. The collectaholic in me is going into fits. The problem is I didn't do the quest line straight through, so to back up to the point before I had triggered the Crown quest, I'd have to lose a whole lot of other activity. Is finding all ten statues worth it?

Either way, I'm sneaking into his house at night and looting the hell out of the place. I've got his keys and I know there's at least ten valuable statues in there for me. I really wish this quest wasn't triggered until you found all ten statues. :(

It was fun as hell while it lasted, though.

Side note: I fixed his tag-along that ambushed me earler. He was trying to flee a room filled with six wights and their summoned companions. As he headed towards the door I summoned a clanfear to block it. :lol The I smacked the clanfear a few times to turn him against us, and he attacked the other guy. He got trapped in a circle of all the creatures and dropped in about five seconds. I must say I enjoyed that. :lol

What's the best way to get good with magic? I'm a total warrior Redguard with maxed stats in the physical stuff, but casting a measly heal spell that barely does anything drains my magic a lot.

firex

GhaleonEB said:
i've got master mercantile, but because this stuff pissed me off I also downloaded a mod that expands the money in different shops to a more reasonable (and scaled!) amount. It's pretty cool; in the poorer towns like Leyawiin and Bravil, the best shops might have like 2000, while in the Imperial City you can find people with like 8000. I don't care if that "breaks" the game because honestly, I'm actually getting what the game tells me my items are worth most of the time.

GhaleonEB

Sugarman said:
What's the best way to get good with magic? I'm a total warrior Redguard with maxed stats in the physical stuff, but casting a measly heal spell that barely does anything drains my magic a lot.
Aside from casting, find the trainers. Lots of them in the Mage's Guild. They can advance your skill up to five levels per character level.

GhaleonEB said:
Aside from casting, find the trainers. Lots of them in the Mage's Guild. They can advance your skill up to five levels per character level.

How do I improve the amount of magic I have, though? I cast a few small heal spells and it's all gone.

GhaleonEB

Sugarman said:
How do I improve the amount of magic I have, though? I cast a few small heal spells and it's all gone.
When you level, increase either your Wisdom or Intelligence. I can't remember which is which, but one governs how fast your magic recharges, the other how many magic points you gain when you level. Check the manual. I'd suggest giving both of those some attention for the next couple of levels, then intermittantly thereafter.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Sugarman said:

You might want to just start a new character. Since you've already maxed out a bunch of stats, you're probably already at a fairly high level and so you won't have the opportunity to advance your Intelligence as much (and it'll take a lot longer).

As far as the Collector's Quest is concerned...

You didn't miss much by not collecting the ten statues. The reward for doing so is like 10,000 gold pieces I believe. The money is the main reason for collecting all ten. The end of the story is the same regardless. I gave him the fake crown which resulted in his death and me having to fight my way through a crap load of Nether Lich's

GhaleonEB

Futurevoid said:

You didn't miss much by not collecting the ten statues. The reward for doing so is like 10,000 gold pieces I believe. The money is the main reason for collecting all ten. The end of the story is the same regardless. I gave him the fake crown which resulted in his death and me having to fight my way through a crap load of Nether Lich's
Ah, okay. I have enough
gold as it is. Which isn't to say his house won't be utterly devoid of moveable objects shortly. :)
Thanks.

Futurevoid said:

I didn't get all 10 either, so this is good to know. I don't need the cash either.

As for the end of the quest:
It was the one quest where I didn't kill everything at the end, but instead got the hell out of dogde. It was crazy in that room with Nether Litches, and summoned creatures running everywhere. I ducked out of one of the side passages and made a break for it when everyone was distracted elsewhere.

Nerevar

Sugarman said:

everyone has been pointing out that you need to up intelligence to get more magicka (which is true), but remember that the amount of magic a spell costs is directly related to your skill in casting it. So if you have a low restoration skill, a basic heal spell might cost 50 magic points to cast. But if you have a high restoration skill, it might only cost 5 points to cast. So by increasing your skill in certain types of magic, you're increasing the amount of effective magic you have.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Nerevar said:
everyone has been pointing out that you need to up intelligence to get more magicka (which is true), but remember that the amount of magic a spell costs is directly related to your skill in casting it. So if you have a low restoration skill, a basic heal spell might cost 50 magic points to cast. But if you have a high restoration skill, it might only cost 5 points to cast. So by increasing your skill in certain types of magic, you're increasing the amount of effective magic you have.

I'm surprised there aren't detailed graphs and charts showing basic bought/custom spells and their price change with increased skill levels. On that note, similar stuff with weapon damage modifiers and such.

P.S. If they exist, share the wealth.

Slayven

Can anyone tell me if i hit a quest bug?

On the vampire cure quest i go back to the count and talk to his servant, she leads me up the stairs and tells me to wait. But he never shows. is there a way around it?

GhaleonEB

I love the thieve's guild. I'm starting to just focus on questlines to plow through a bit and it's just awesome. Currently
about to follow around the captain of the guard in the capital city, until he's pulled off duty. Something about four massive thefts at once, one of them a certain staff. :)
Fun stuff.

Slayven said:
Can anyone tell me if i hit a quest bug?

On the vampire cure quest i go back to the count and talk to his servant, she leads me up the stairs and tells me to wait. But he never shows. is there a way around it?
At what point in the quest are you?

indie85

Banned
SonnyBoy said:

There is no learning curve with this game. You can beat it on level 1, no really...try it! Its unplayable without a mod like oscuro's overhaul, now you've gotta get to about level 35 til you can pwn everything.
Edit:This is the most overpraised game in history.

GhaleonEB

indie85 said:
There is no learning curve with this game. You can beat it on level 1, no really...try it! Its unplayable without a mod like oscuro's overhaul, now you've gotta get to about level 35 til you can pwn everything.
You post is kind of hard to understand - are you talking about the scaling system?
Edit: And no, the game rawks.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
indie85 said:

So, you're a troll, and one who babbles nonesense at that. Good job, you'll do well here.

indie85

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
You post is kind of hard to understand - are you talking about the scaling system?.
A big f*cking YES with this game. I wouldnt waste anyones time with it without a mod to fix it,
Edit: And no, the game rawks.
Its not even in my top 5 RPGS, and without a mod its an appauling game, turkey of the year.

GhaleonEB

indie85 said:
A big f*cking YES with this game. I wouldnt waste anyones time with it without a mod to fix it,
Okay, gotcha. The topic has been covered quite a bit in this thread. You are in the vast minority, but certainly entitled to your opinion. Though a post that less resembles trolling would be more appreciated. I think the game would be utterly broken without the leveling system; while not perfect it does what it needs to do to keep the game fun.
Its not even in my top 5 RPGS, and without a mod its an appauling game, turkey of the year.
Most "turkeys of the year" don't sell a couple of million copies in three months, and remain in the charts month after month. The PC game is 93.2% at Gamerankings, and the 360 version is at 94%. So while you are again entitled to your opinion I think it's safe to say the game is not a "turkey".
indie85 said:
awww, did you not like what i said. Poor diddums.
Now you're just being an asshole. Go away.

indie85

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Okay, gotcha. The topic has been covered quite a bit in this thread. You are in the vast minority, but certainly entitled to your opinion. Though a post that less resembles trolling would be more appreciated. I think the game would be utterly broken without the leveling system; while not perfect it does what it needs to do to keep the game fun.
I dunno, i've been through all this in the official boards. The common opinion there is shared by me funnily enough. You think its acceptable that I can beat the game on level 1? Or that by level 20 every single bandit is wearing glass armour? A game that never gets challenging , whilst never getting easy to offer some sense of accomplisment. I dunno, I guess i was drawn in by the false advertising given out by near every damn website that this was a near flawless game. Unfortunately not and I wasted a week of my life before I realised something serious was amiss. Like i said, with a mod its not bad, possibly in my top 10 RPGs, but i thank the modders for that and NOT bestheda.
Now you're just being an asshole. Go away.
WTF, that wasnt even aimed at you. Or is it like a team round here, hive mentality?

Slayven

GhaleonEB said:
I love the thieve's guild. I'm starting to just focus on questlines to plow through a bit and it's just awesome. Currently
about to follow around the captain of the guard in the capital city, until he's pulled off duty. Something about four massive thefts at once, one of them a certain staff. :)
Fun stuff.

At what point in the quest are you?
Sorry, I have the two doses of the cure.

gblues

Banned
indie85 said:

Actually, you can't beat it at level 1; you have to be at least level 2 to perform any of the Daedric quests, of which you need to finish at least one to complete the main quest.

As far a Oscuro's Overhaul, I've recently started a new game with it and I think its premise is flawed. It does shit like throwing Black Bears at you at level 4, and with the PC at level 4 a black bear will pwn even the town guards (who are PC level + 10). The premise of Oscuro's mod is that the game world should be dangerous; the problem is that even if you restrict the animals to regions of the Tamriel world, and even if you tweak the monsters that load in dungeons, the rest of the game is designed around the principle of "go anywhere, whenever." It's not like Dragon Quest where you can't even get to certain parts of the game world until a certain part of the game--the whole thing is open from the get-go. And since running from monsters is effectively useless (they never give up chasing you), simply sneaking around the tough monsters isn't an option either.

It's an interesting concept, but the entire rest of the game is designed around the default behavior and you can't fix one aspect without breaking the rest. That's my opinion of Oscuro's mod.

The game is perfectly fine the way it is.

Nathan

Speevy

Banned
indie: The game is not the problem. It's your knowledge of its underpinnings. And frankly, that'll ruin any game. Like if I knew exactly how to make every car in a racing game slam into a wall, or if I knew where to run to score a touchdown on every play in a football game.

If you want to examine the true definition of an artificial, uncompelling, and otherwise value-starved experience, consider that with these mods you can essentially do anything on the PC. Frankly, if you need to break open any game to make it fun for you, play something else. There's not a single non-Bethesda employee that could make Oblivion better than Bethesda already made it.

indie85

Banned
gblues said:
Actually, you can't beat it at level 1; you have to be at least level 2 to perform any of the Daedric quests, of which you need to finish at least one to complete the main quest.

As far a Oscuro's Overhaul, I've recently started a new game with it and I think its premise is flawed. It does shit like throwing Black Bears at you at level 4, and with the PC at level 4 a black bear will pwn even the town guards (who are PC level + 10). The premise of Oscuro's mod is that the game world should be dangerous; the problem is that even if you restrict the animals to regions of the Tamriel world, and even if you tweak the monsters that load in dungeons, the rest of the game is designed around the principle of "go anywhere, whenever." It's not like Dragon Quest where you can't even get to certain parts of the game world until a certain part of the game--the whole thing is open from the get-go. And since running from monsters is effectively useless (they never give up chasing you), simply sneaking around the tough monsters isn't an option either.

It's an interesting concept, but the entire rest of the game is designed around the default behavior and you can't fix one aspect without breaking the rest. That's my opinion of Oscuro's mod.

The game is perfectly fine the way it is.

Nathan
Yeah you can go anywhere whenever from the start still with the mod, just you'll get your ass handed to you most places thats all. Exactly how it should be. You know battles are actually fun coz theres a good chance when your working your way up that a few health potions aren't gonna work this time. But then you can come back later and give some punishment back.
indie: The game is not the problem. It's your knowledge of its underpinnings. And frankly, that'll ruin any game. Like if I knew exactly how to make every car in a racing game slam into a wall, or if I knew where to run to score a touchdown on every play in a football game.
Except I had no knowledge of its inner workings til i got pissed with the experience. Wasnt one day i went on the boards and discovered how the leveling system had been raped for this game and thought oh jesus h Christ I can never play this game now! etc. I could see it for myself as I played.

Top Bottom