• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Dragonborn |OT| Did you think you were the only one?

GhaleonEB

Only problem I have with it Ghal, is that I don't like to play through the game 3 or 4 times. I take my character through every experience and work on him exclusively.

It hinders my character from becoming the jack of all trades that I set out to build.
Dragonborn allowed me to switch/swap with the perk reset, but it's hardly ideal, costly too.

I can see why this one is a matter of perspective. I can't fathom rolling with one character; it gets utterly boring for me after a while; I enjoy the early leveling process a great deal. But if you do like sticking with one character, I can see why it would get frustrating.

Still, I think having perks be so valuable that you can't pick them all really makes leveling matter, and adds tension to the decision making process after each level that would be absent if I knew I could grind for them all. It's one of the main reasons I like the perk system so much. (The execution isn't perfect - I'd rebalance many, and reorganize the trees, just talking about the concept.) I can see why that might conflict with Beth's montra of "be who you want to be" for Skyrim, but I still think the cost would outweight the benefits. I guess I'm saying you shouldn't try to make a jack of all trades in a game with a leveling system specifically designed to prevent that.

I think it would be a shame to undercut that, even if it means folks who want to make a jack of all trades get shafted. (But then, that's because I'm not one of them. :p)

Onikaan

I can see why this one is a matter of perspective. I can't fathom rolling with one character; it gets utterly boring for me after a while; I enjoy the early leveling process a great deal. But if you do like sticking with one character, I can see why it would get frustrating.

Still, I think having perks be so valuable that you can't pick them all really makes leveling matter, and adds tension to the decision making process after each level that would be absent if I knew I could grind for them all. It's one of the main reasons I like the perk system so much. (The execution isn't perfect - I'd rebalance many, and reorganize the trees, just talking about the concept.) I can see why that might conflict with Beth's montra of "be who you want to be" for Skyrim, but I still think the cost would outweight the benefits. I guess I'm saying you shouldn't try to make a jack of all trades in a game with a leveling system specifically designed to prevent that.

I think it would be a shame to undercut that, even if it means folks who want to make a jack of all trades get shafted. (But then, that's because I'm not one of them. :p)

Hah, indeed.

It's generally how I play most games. I work on one character and make him as powerful as the game will allow (I get fed up repeating the same quests if I start multiples). I can see what you're saying, though. Skyrim isn't a game where you should just expect to be able to make the ultimate God character. The problem I have is that I was exposed to the freedoms of Morrowind first, and now I expect other games in the series to live up to its experience. Morrowind allowed me to make that character, an unstoppable warrior/assassin/battlemage who could wield anything he fancied.

I should just build a bridge and get over it, Skyrim isn't Morrowind. No matter how badly I want it to be (Dragonborn didn't help my situation, they teased me, those stinkers).

I welcome the return of the restricted perk tree in future games, but I agree that it needs a reshuffle.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Got a question about an older DLC, Hearthfire. Does everyone just build everything there is to build in each part of the house? I noticed that you can end up with a double bed in both the main hall and the bedroom wing, which seems superfluous. You can only adopt two children in total, right?

Does anyone know of any good mods for leading a secret polygamous life, with a spouse for each house? ;)

Got a question about an older DLC, Hearthfire. Does everyone just build everything there is to build in each part of the house? I noticed that you can end up with a double bed in both the main hall and the bedroom wing, which seems superfluous. You can only adopt two children in total, right?

Does anyone know of any good mods for leading a secret polygamous life, with a spouse for each house? ;)

I deliberatly only made the stuff that seemed useful.

Woorloog

Banned
I reckon the next patch files may have hints towards this Redguard expansion (that's the name Bethesda trademarked, no? And all previous DLC were revealed via trademarks).
Weren't details about previous DLCs revealed in patch files?

GhaleonEB

Hah, indeed.

It's generally how I play most games. I work on one character and make him as powerful as the game will allow (I get fed up repeating the same quests if I start multiples). I can see what you're saying, though. Skyrim isn't a game where you should just expect to be able to make the ultimate God character. The problem I have is that I was exposed to the freedoms of Morrowind first, and now I expect other games in the series to live up to its experience. Morrowind allowed me to make that character, an unstoppable warrior/assassin/battlemage who could wield anything he fancied.

I should just build a bridge and get over it, Skyrim isn't Morrowind. No matter how badly I want it to be (Dragonborn didn't help my situation, they teased me, those stinkers).

I welcome the return of the restricted perk tree in future games, but I agree that it needs a reshuffle.

Let me ask you a related question, since you have Morrowind experience. I started playing TES with Oblivion. And among the (many) criticisms of Oblivion was that the quest lines no longer conflicted, as I heard they did in Morrowind. You could complete every quest line with a single character, and as you said make them powerful in every way the game allows. As I understand it, in Morrowind the Great Houses were in conflict with one another, and each was essentially a faction. But once you joined one you couldn't join another - they were diametrically opposed. So you could not join every faction with one character; if you wanted to do them all, you had to reroll a character. Is that about right?

Skyrim took a baby step in the direction of unique factions, in the Civil War quest line. But the impacts are largely cosmetic; the actual quests are identical between the sides and there's no real gameplay impact after. Just stuff like different Jarls in place, or changes in the town guard. Maybe some rubble in different towns.

Dawnguard is a bit more consequential, even if the main quest follows the same arc and events. There's unique stuff on each side. So one player can't do everything - you have to reroll. I see Dawnguard's structure as being a partial response to that critique of Skyrim and Oblivion.

You want the ability to make a character who can max out every skill, as in Morrowind. How did you feel about having content - quests - you were locked out of, and had to reroll to experience? (This is predicated on my understanding of Morrowind being correct; if it's not then it's a more abstract question.)

I kind of see Skyrim's leveling/perk system as being akin to locking players out of quests because of decisions they make. With factions/quests, you are locked out of content because you decided to join one side of a conflict, and thus can't do the other; that's the Morrowind/Dawnguard model. With Skyrim's leveling/perk system, by making a choice to focus on some skills, it means you can't experience others at full power. So you don't lose content (well, you do in the case of the master magic quests), but you lose abilities, which impact gameplay. In either case, you have to roll multiple characters to experience everything.

Given the issue of the leveling perk system restricting your ability to craft a character you want, I was wondering what your thoughts were on that question.

I see the two areas being related. I've been wanting to see more unique content made available based on the decisions we make. But that is in some ways more restrictive to what players can experience. That tension between consequences and freedom is something I've been thinking about a lot lately. I come down on the side of wanting more consequences/unique content based on my decisions. But then, that's almost entirely because I like to reroll characters. For people who do not, it's just a restriction on the content they get to experience.

Edit: I really didn't mean for that to get so long. :lol

Let me ask you a related question, since you have Morrowind experience. I started playing TES with Oblivion. And among the (many) criticisms of Oblivion was that the quest lines no longer conflicted, as I heard they did in Morrowind. You could complete every quest line with a single character, and as you said make them powerful in every way the game allows. As I understand it, in Morrowind the Great Houses were in conflict with one another, and each was essentially a faction. But once you joined one you couldn't join another - they were diametrically opposed. So you could not join every faction with one character; if you wanted to do them all, you had to reroll a character. Is that about right?

Not really. You could join a lot of different factions, some that were opposed. Morrowind had more than just the Great Houses. You had the Guilds and the Temples (Imperial and Tribunal, specifically). Once you choose a great house, that's final. As you progress through the other questlines you'll occasionally have to choose between two: I think the higher-level Telvanni quests require you to kill some high-ranking members of the Mages Guild. The Fighters Guild requires you to wipe out the Thieves Guild leadership at one point. There's more, but that's just what I can think of.

Woorloog

Banned
Maxing out everything takes time and is kinda boring. IMO. If someone wants to do that, let 'em. If you don't like that, just re-roll. It is what i do in Morrowind and Oblivion.
Oh and Morrowind doesn't lock out you from content really, other than Vampire Clans and Great Houses. 3 of each, one for each archetype.
There were some quest-conflicts in Morrowind but those were mostly trivial and could be worked around with some planning, doing things in right order. If you knew about it. EDIT killing Telvanni councillors? Right.. well, no way around that. Or was there? Couldn't you duel the Archmage instead?

Skyrim's system is too restricting. In Skyrim, perks are the true measure of power, skills are meaningless other than enabling picking perks and leveling up. Unfortunately the system, while encouraging vertical growth (which is good), doesn't allow enough variety on one character. You have to max out a perk tree in practice (some side perks aside, like weapon spec) to be effective in that skill. Unfortunately the game has only enough perks for 4 skills, which is not enough for most hybrids (at least as i plan them).
Simply making skills in itself more important would fix this: Let me be effective sword fighter without perks but to be master with perks. This allows better hybridization, if a player wishes it: I master stealth along with some other non-combat skills but can still fight should i need to.

Give players freedom to play as they wish, and everything's good. Some things can be locked out by choices, it makes things much more interesting, but those things but must not be too arbitrary (non-factual example: locked out of Mages guild due to joining a secret Thieves Guild, wat?)

GhaleonEB

Not really. You could join a lot of different factions, some that were opposed. Morrowind had more than just the Great Houses. You had the Guilds and the Temples (Imperial and Tribunal, specifically). Once you choose a great house, that's final. As you progress through the other questlines you'll occasionally have to choose between two: I think the higher-level Telvanni quests require you to kill some high-ranking members of the Mages Guild. The Fighters Guild requires you to wipe out the Thieves Guild leadership at one point. There's more, but that's just what I can think of.

Didn't mean to imply the Great Houses were all there were. Just saying I had heard those were in conflict.

I'm now officially wondering what people were complaining about all these years. I remember a lot of grouching in the Oblivion thread about the lack of consequences for choices, with references to Morrowind's Great Houses. That was the only way I heard anything about it. :lol

Still, I'm curious what people think about the topic.

Woorloog

Banned
Choices and consequences are a nice thing but unfortunately practically no game does them well. I reckon it requires either too much skill or too much development effort.

The only game i can think of doing choices well is Mass Effect 2. Choices in that game (though they're mostly did or didn't, yes or no) have clear consequences that are also meaningful. And then ME3 comes and throws everything to trashbin.

Minor effects are common, but do people even notice those? Especially if they're only in "epilogue" or some such, not in actual gameplay.

I think there should be more choices and truly meaningful and game-changing consequences. Along with minor effects.
Say, you choose to play a mage class, or you train yourself in magic (if no-class system), people react immediatly to this, assuming they know you're a mage (allow/require us to hide our powers?), and this as consequences: Some quests are locked out, some open up, alternate solutions, some people fear you, some worship you as a god...

But, as i said, those require a lot of effort. And skill. And open sandbox games like Skyrim having big choices is even harder, a lot of potential unintended conflicts and bugs, along with possibility of taking away too much player freedom (well, not taking too much away but rather people don't understand that since people rarely think how things affect other things...)

EDIT IIRC, Obsidian was originally planning to allow Fallout New Vegas to have post-ending playing BUT they cut it because making the necessary changes from the endings to the world were too much work, essentially requiring another game's worth of content. Obsidian would probably have skill for this BUT they seem to be lacking funds and time for that, along with such things as hardware limits...

EDIT other than ME2, Bioware suck at choices and consequences most of the time, having minor effects only or them being in epilogue, and even without affecting sequel... (DAO-to-DA2 saves are pointless)

EDIT Bethesda tried this in Fallout 3 Broken Steel: Ending changed the Wasteland. A bit. It was a major effect, kinda, but the effect's effects were non-existent in practice...

Onikaan

Still, I'm curious what people think about the topic.

I see what you're getting at but as Blue pointed out there wasn't too much of that going on, and Morrowind had more than enough factions to keep you busy. I joined House Hlaalu out of ignorance, later discovering I was locked from the other two Great Houses. However, and you may feel like strangling me for this, but content locks do not bother me. If I make a conscious decision to go down one path, I'll stick to it. For example I haven't done the Stormcloak Quest-line because I chose to side with the Imperials, and I haven't touched the other 2 Great Houses even though Morrowind is one of my favourite games ever. And here's the killer, I haven't done the Dark Brotherhood in Skyrim
because I Killed Astrid.
I play a good guy, what can I say.

It might sound odd that I want to unlock the full potential of my character, but on the same breath not care about how much he can achieve in the game. Some people love characters, some love quests. It's subjective, as you say.

I'm loyal to my character and the choices I make. I guess that's why I love these games, I get to play it how I intended to play it from the start. (Give or take a few perk restrictions).

Naito

At first I was a bit skeptic but, eventually, I decided to visit Solstheim and play this Dragonborn DLC.
I posted a visual resume of my journey (spoilers!) in the Skyrim mod thread since I heavily employ mods but I guess it should be fine to also link it here.

soldat7

I just did something rather magnificent (for me.) I managed to get the Notched Pickaxe without obtaining the Clear Skies shout yet. hehe. That was a lot of trial and error and mashing of the Y button.

At first I was a bit skeptic but, eventually, I decided to visit Solstheim and play this Dragonborn DLC.
I posted a visual resume of my journey (spoilers!) in the Skyrim mod thread since I heavily employ mods but I guess it should be fine to also link it here.

Dang it. I'd play it on PC if I could. It's a fine looking game on 360, but dang.

Do you have higher res versions of some of these (and some of your past stuff)? I'd love to make some wallpaper for my laptop or iPad.

im trying to convince myself to hold out until redguard. I want to do skyrim 100% with all DLC. I am also looking forward to the future of Mods. Just how beautiful can they make it?

GhaleonEB

I see what you're getting at but as Blue pointed out there wasn't too much of that going on, and Morrowind had more than enough factions to keep you busy. I joined House Hlaalu out of ignorance, later discovering I was locked from the other two Great Houses. However, and you may feel like strangling me for this, but content locks do not bother me. If I make a conscious decision to go down one path, I'll stick to it. For example I haven't done the Stormcloak Quest-line because I chose to side with the Imperials, and I haven't touched the other 2 Great Houses even though Morrowind is one of my favourite games ever. And here's the killer, I haven't done the Dark Brotherhood in Skyrim
because I Killed Astrid.
I play a good guy, what can I say.

It might sound odd that I want to unlock the full potential of my character, but on the same breath not care about how much he can achieve in the game. Some people love characters, some love quests. It's subjective, as you say.

I'm loyal to my character and the choices I make. I guess that's why I love these games, I get to play it how I intended to play it from the start. (Give or take a few perk restrictions).

Hah, I was curious if the character preferences carried over to content. I'm surprised it didn't, but I do hear you on staying true to your character. I do the same, I just like to do it with different characters. My current one completed the main quest (Parthurnax lives) and the civil war (Imperial), and the Companions (cured everyone, including myself). I won't touch the DB and Thieves Guild, as I'm playing a good character. My evil character did those. I made one who was a forager, who only used his own potions and used only weapons and armor he crafted himself. And so on. I can't wrap my head around objecting to limits on character builds but not content though. I see the two as being almost the same; I think the way you experience content is just as important as the content itself. I won't strangle you, however. :p

I understand getting into a character so deep you only like to make one; if you really get into a character you can get attached to them.

Oh yes, making my skills legendary shall be excellent.

I still can't figure out what the benefit is, other than the name. And I'd like to know what Legendary difficulty entails. The Bungie fan in me perked up big time a the name, but I want to know if it's just modifying damage tables as with the other five, or something else added.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I still can't figure out what the benefit is, other than the name. And I'd like to know what Legendary difficulty entails. The Bungie fan in me perked up big time a the name, but I want to know if it's just modifying damage tables as with the other five, or something else added.

It basically removes the level cap and makes it easier to level your character higher without being forced to use skills you don't necessarily care for. I stopped using two-hand once I hit 100 so this will give me an excuse to revisit it with some new weapons. Also, because it refunds the perks I'll be able to move those over to skills I am using now.

Oh and thank god for this: "Reduced the instance of random dragon attacks after fast traveling post main quest." It sometimes felt like dragons would show up every other fast travel.

GhaleonEB

It basically removes the level cap and makes it easier to level your character higher without being forced to use skills you don't necessarily care for. I stopped using two-hand once I hit 100 so this will give me an excuse to revisit it with some new weapons. Also, because it refunds the perks I'll be able to move those over to skills I am using now.

Oh and thank god for this: "Reduced the instance of random dragon attacks after fast traveling post main quest." It sometimes felt like dragons would show up every other fast travel.

So if I understand right, you basically cash in the progression on the skill (reset it to 15) and in exchange get: 1) perks back from the Legendary skill, 2) get to further increase health/stamina/magika, and 3) earn additional perks through leveling. I guess it's simple enough I just find it odd. A skill becomes Legendary by....getting reset to 15. I figured it would boost it over 100 somehow, given the name.

Thanks for the explanation.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So if I understand right, you basically cash in the progression on the skill (reset it to 15) and in exchange get: 1) perks back from the Legendary skill, 2) get to further increase health/stamina/magika, and 3) earn additional perks through leveling. I guess it's simple enough I just find it odd. A skill becomes Legendary by....getting reset to 15. I figured it would boost it over 100 somehow, given the name.

Thanks for the explanation.
Yeah the naming is kinda misleading. They should have called it prestiging since it's pretty much the cod idea.

Dave1988

legendary-1024x576.jpg

The 1.9. update is coming (beta out on Steam), and it contains some new stuff:

They also fixed the Oghma Infinium glitch.

I wonder if making a skill Legendary does anything else beside, you know, just resetting it. Seems kinda pointless otherwise.

I was kinda hoping they'd patch the ability to buy land in Falkreath if you killed Halvard and Sidgeir is the Jarl. I was also hoping they'd give you the ability to replace your current pet with a new one. I've recruited a stray dog in Solstheim and since he decided to disappear on me forever now I can't recruit any other pet :/

Oh well, guess I'll have to start a new character one of these days :/

Morokh

What exactly does this Legendary difficulty setting change ? well cause the hardest we had before was already hard in a stupid way ...

And the 'legendary' skills are bound to this difficulty, or it can be done in any of them ?

Woorloog

Banned
Is there a way to redo a Hearthfire house without loading up an old save?

Not having the DLC i don't know but you could try saving in a safe place (a new save of course), deleting the DLC file, load save (if the game allows it), save in safe place (a new save again, for safety), re-download the DLC which reactivates it with as if it were the first time. You'll lose all Hearthfire stuff though, and i wouldn't be surprised if it breaks saves.

Safe place means a cell without stuff from Hearthfire, some indoors location that wasn't affected by Hearthfire for sure would be ideal. High Hrothgar?

EDIT i don't guarantee this works. I don't guarantee it doesn't break the game if it works.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Not having the DLC i don't know but you could try saving in a safe place (a new save of course), deleting the DLC file, load save (if the game allows it), save in safe place (a new save again, for safety), re-download the DLC which reactivates it with as if it were the first time. You'll lose all Hearthfire stuff though, and i wouldn't be surprised if it breaks saves.

Safe place means a cell without stuff from Hearthfire, some indoors location that wasn't affected by Hearthfire for sure would be ideal. High Hrothgar?

EDIT i don't guarantee this works. I don't guarantee it doesn't break the game if it works.

I might try that after looking to see if there are some console commands. I can't believe you can't just destroy them and start over from the workbench. I regret some of my decisions and I'm not going back 10+ hours.

Actually someone is confirming that it works fine, you just lose the house supplies. A bit of a bummer, but I think I shall try it.

Woorloog

Banned
I might try that after looking to see if there are some console commands. I can't believe you can't just destroy them and start over from the workbench. I regret some of my decisions and I'm not going back 10+ hours.

You're on PC? Well, then console commands can probably deal with it. If not, you don't need to re-download the DLC, deactivating it instead of deleting/re-downloading should work. Might work.

I
Actually someone is confirming that it works fine, you just lose the house supplies. A bit of a bummer, but I think I shall try it.

Just move the stuff elsewhere first. Except for stuff added in HF.

shiroryu

Hah, I was curious if the character preferences carried over to content. I'm surprised it didn't, but I do hear you on staying true to your character. I do the same, I just like to do it with different characters. My current one completed the main quest (Parthurnax lives) and the civil war (Imperial), and the Companions (cured everyone, including myself). I won't touch the DB and Thieves Guild, as I'm playing a good character. My evil character did those. I made one who was a forager, who only used his own potions and used only weapons and armor he crafted himself. And so on. I can't wrap my head around objecting to limits on character builds but not content though. I see the two as being almost the same; I think the way you experience content is just as important as the content itself. I won't strangle you, however. :p

I understand getting into a character so deep you only like to make one; if you really get into a character you can get attached to them.

I agree. Skyrim is really a pure sandbox RPG; you don't roleplay through the game's reactions to your decisions as much as you do in terms of choosing what you will do and not do given the vast number of choices at your disposal. My avuncular Breton mage was a knowledge buff and so read and collected all the books she came across, and was more interested in resolving the dragon issue than take sides in the war. My Bosmer thief couldn't care less and joined the Stormcloaks because fuck the Thalmor.

So far, I've done pure builds - I might start going with spellswords or shifty mages. The portion of the game in levels 1-20 is arguably the most fun, though mods like High Level Encounters and perk rebalancers like SPERG make high level play fun too.

Woorloog

Banned
That's probably the worst magicka/health/stamina distribution I've ever seen.

And yeah, legendary skills sound quite useless.

Useless? No. It allowes getting to 81 or higher without having to spread to other skills. Well, if you have access to mods, sure, it is pointless...

Wallach

I was going to stream some random Skyrim gameplay tonight but I just saw this 1.9 update news before getting started, so I might back up and change to a different character and play around with it for a while. I want to see if this Legendary difficulty setting is just a higher tier of multiplier; I wonder if it just allows the leveled lists to adjust the highest tiers with stats that scale to your player level so that players that level to some crazy values with the Legendary skills thing still have monsters worth fighting.

I'll put the stream up here in a few minutes and run around with my level 29 or so character to see what I can tell about the new difficulty.

Wallach

I just streamed for maybe an hour and a half and took my 29 Orc into Valthume (which I'd never cleared before). Honestly what it feels like to me is that stuff doesn't necessarily didn't do much more damage to me than on Master but a lot of the Draugr had insane durability. The boss of the dungeon was fuckin' ridiculous and I had to beast form my way through both the last two big fights because they took so little damage that it would have drained a ton of resources to slog through.

What I'm most curious about is whether this difficulty was implemented to adjust itself to create higher power monsters based on the player's level than was possible before. I imagine that is why it was implemented at the same time

GhaleonEB

I just streamed for maybe an hour and a half and took my 29 Orc into Valthume (which I'd never cleared before). Honestly what it feels like to me is that stuff doesn't necessarily didn't do much more damage to me than on Master but a lot of the Draugr had insane durability. The boss of the dungeon was fuckin' ridiculous and I had to beast form my way through both the last two big fights because they took so little damage that it would have drained a ton of resources to slog through.

What I'm most curious about is whether this difficulty was implemented to adjust itself to create higher power monsters based on the player's level than was possible before. I imagine that is why it was implemented at the same time

I wonder if it's meant to be paired with the Legendary skills; the names seem to imply as much. Since you have unlimited levels, you can have sky-high health and stamina, and can thus deal with much more powerful enemies. The Legendary skills seem designed for people who want to stick to a character, and face a challenge over a long period of time. Maybe. Thanks for the impressions, BTW. I was hoping Legendary was a hardcore mode, but it doesn't look like it. Wish Bethesda would have just said what it was.

Also, I just did the unmarked quest under The Midden, with the Daedric gauntlet, for the first time. Some how I never
found the journal before. I was pretty surprised at the outcome. I let the dude go; tomorrow, I go treasure hunting. God how I love maps marked with treasure.

Wallach

I wonder if it's meant to be paired with the Legendary skills; the names seem to imply as much. Since you have unlimited levels, you can have sky-high health and stamina, and can thus deal with much more powerful enemies. The Legendary skills seem designed for people who want to stick to a character, and face a challenge over a long period of time. Maybe. Thanks for the impressions, BTW. I was hoping Legendary was a hardcore mode, but it doesn't look like it. Wish Bethesda would have just said what it was.

Also, I just did the unmarked quest under The Midden, with the Daedric gauntlet, for the first time. Some how I never
found the journal before. I was pretty surprised at the outcome. I let the dude go; tomorrow, I go treasure hunting. God how I love maps marked with treasure.

No problem. There's a video archived on my channel if you want to see it for yourself. It doesn't seem like it would be a huge problem to start on Legendary and I think I'll probably do just that when I stream next. My best guess is that it allows for additional monster adjustments within the leveled lists that scale with your character level, so that as you make very powerful characters you still can have monsters that don't die in one or two hits. The biggest thing that stood out to me was how little damage output I had, which makes me think the HP is being scaled in a way it wasn't before via difficulty. Makes sense considering they are well aware how powerful characters can get between levels and crafting.

Woorloog

Banned
Legendary skills don't offer player higher damage output though, do they? Skill to lesser extent, and perks determine the damage modifier, which is some 150% at 100 skill with 5 ranks of damage perk. 50% more damage from skill, 100% from perks. EDIT not sure if the damage modifiers are additive or multiplicative. But skill is still less important than perks.

And the difficulties work the same way as in previous games, they reduce the damage the player deals and increases the damage the enemies deal, right?

Never bothered with anything above normal difficulty in any Elder Scrolls because of this, i hate unfair AI, no matter whether it is stupid or intelligent, i want a fair but intelligent AI.

Wallach

Legendary skills don't offer player higher damage output though, do they? Skill to lesser extent, and perks determine the damage modifier, which is some 150% at 100 skill with 5 ranks of damage perk. 50% more damage from skill, 100% from perks. EDIT not sure if the damage modifiers are additive or multiplicative. But skill is still less important than perks.

And the difficulties work the same way as in previous games, they reduce the damage the player deals and increases the damage the enemies deal, right?

Never bothered with anything above normal difficulty in any Elder Scrolls because of this, i hate unfair AI, no matter whether it is stupid or intelligent, i want a fair but intelligent AI.

Making a skill Legendary and resetting it back to 15 will not increase it's power, no. The purpose is only to allow you to accumulate more perk points and levels beyond the previous limit, and to offer it in a way that does not force players to level skills they don't want to use to gain perk points.

Difficulty doesn't work any different than previous ES games. I spent another couple hours playing my new character on Legendary and I'm pretty sure it is in fact just something like -75% damage done and +200% damage taken. I went to do the first major Companions quest and it was pretty miserable at level 10. Lots of the human enemies were capable of one-shot killing me, and it's even worse than it sounds because at that point they're also kill-cam deaths which mean you don't get any standard response time to avoid the kill, you actually die before the animation begins. I had to load quite a few times to get through the hardest part of that dungeon because of it.

It's proving to be doable from the outset but it feels pretty shit overall. My 29 character didn't have as much trouble, but I wonder if dragon fights aren't going to be stupid. I'm pretty sure once the dragons that have armor penetration on their melee bite start showing up in leveled lists melee characters are going to get shit on from the insta-kill cam deaths.

Onikaan

Cleaning the quest log out in prep for the last DLC. So many quests...

Encountered a strange bug in Solstheim last night that would allow snow indoors. Infact after loading my save to play today it's still there.

Hopefully going back to Skyrim will shake it off.

ramparter

Banned
Gaf what's your opinion on the three released DLCs?

I'm still playing the original game and my character is only level 19. I am thinking of buying at least Dragonborn at some point but I'd like to have some thoughts on the matter, thanks!

Gaf what's your opinion on the three released DLCs?

I'm still playing the original game and my character is only level 19. I am thinking of buying at least Dragonborn at some point but I'd like to have some thoughts on the matter, thanks!

I would buy Dawnguard ASAP, just because it adds a lot of features into vanilla Skyrim that you will appreciate right away. Dawnguard is really story-focused, and takes a surprising twist, story-wise.

Dragonborn is great for when you've seen every inch of Skyrim and are ready for something new.

GhaleonEB

I would buy Dawnguard ASAP, just because it adds a lot of features into vanilla Skyrim that you will appreciate right away. Dawnguard is really story-focused, and takes a surprising twist, story-wise.

Dragonborn is great for when you've seen every inch of Skyrim and are ready for something new.

I second this. Dawnguard expands the game in some interesting and useful ways, and the main and side quests added are great. A few wonderful places to explore are added as part of it, but more than the other DLC, it also enriches the main game.

Dragonborn is sort of like a mini-Skyrim; you can head over to Solstheim and lose a few dozen hours exploring and questing on the island, with a ton of new content. But if you're still doing new stuff in Skyrim, there's really no need to add to the pile. It's a nice dessert once you've cleared Skyrim's main course.

I had a lot of fun with Hearthfire, but YMMV. It adds some nice details to the game proper, and fills in a few small gaps. I'd say you enjoy collecting/displaying loot, and using the crafting systems, you'd get the most out of it. I enjoy building the house and filling it with my spoils, and for $5 it's a nice little chunk of content.

#####

I'm level 75 now, on my quest to get to level 78 and slay a Legendary dragon. I've turned to pickpocketing, the last skill I had not worked on yet. It's a lot of fun, even though I don't sell the loot I snatch. I've taken to being a coin and jewelry thief, stashing my spoils in a barrel so I don't have to give up much when I'm caught.

So, Victoria Vicci is extorting the lady that sells spiced wine in the Solitude marketplace, holding her spices for a 2,000 gold tariff. I head down and use my gold to grease the wheels a bit, bribing her with over 800 gold to release the shipment.

Later that night, I break into Victoria's house and pickpocket her while she's sleeping, and get all of my gold back and then some. By the time I'm done sifting through her pockets my skill has gone from 30 to 38. Payback felt so good.

ramparter

Banned
Strange, I thought Dawnguard was just about the Vampires quest and nothing more. I'm not the type of player that will play as a vampire, should I still expect interesting stuff in my game?

Ugh, Clean installed W7 and now steam is stuck at "Performing intial setup Installing Microsoft .net framework"

Its been like this for the past 20 hours, Its nothing to do with my connection i have 100mbps internet. Iv manually downloaded .net framework 4.5 and iv ran as admin.

Pissed off.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Finished up the Thieves Guild today and rolled through the entirety of the Imperial quest line. It feels pretty damn good just having the main quest left in terms of major quests (barring like 2-3 random ones I'm too lazy to look for).

I'm waiting to pick up Dawnguard and Dragonborn till the final DLC comes out and I'm just gonna treat the 3 of them as like a full size game and pump another 50-60 hours in lol.

Tried out my first ENB preset today. Even though the performance hit is sizeable and I weep at listening to my GPU struggling to keep up, it makes for some cool moments like this one:

2013-03-10_00022odafz.jpg

I just started the Dark Brotherhood questline, after reaching 100 in enchanting and cleaning up my misc quest list.

Onikaan

Tried out my first ENB preset today. Even though the performance hit is sizeable and I weep at listening to my GPU struggling to keep up, it makes for some cool moments like this one:

Can't wait to see what Bethesda do with TES VI. Hopefully it'll look that good!

What do you guys think of the The Elder Scrolls Online? Watched this trailer earlier.

If I'm totally honest I wish they hadn't bothered, but it was inevitable. Game looks generic to me, something TES isn't.

GhaleonEB

Can't wait to see what Bethesda do with TES VI. Hopefully it'll look that good!

What do you guys think of the The Elder Scrolls Online? Watched this trailer earlier.

If I'm totally honest I wish they hadn't bothered, but it was inevitable. Game looks generic to me, something TES isn't.

I hope it gets MP out of their system and there's no temptation to add MP to the ES series proper.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Wtf is with the loot scaling in this game. Every container in dungeons hold like 2-6 gems now and I'll leave a dungeon with 50k worth of loot.

Top Bottom