• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Really worried I screwed myself in decorating my home in Whiterun.

I dropped the book in a dungeon that explains decoration because I already read it and was over burden. Went back to town and I'm not sure how to decorate the home anymore. Any help would be greatly appreciated so I don't have to load 2 hours back.

Doctor_20

Banned
Lebron said:
God damn Ice Troll killed my Lydia and damn near raped me if I didn't kite the hell out of it. Trick that, I'm come back to Greys later. Glad I saved before going up there.

Steal the horse from Whiterun stables around 1AM when the owner isn't outside. Fast travel to the town right below the mountain... forget the name... then just horse sprint up the mountain past the Troll.

Loxley

Guys, is anyone really disappointed with the graphics of the game? I feel like the engine is really showing some aging. I am playing with everything maxxed out.

So disappointed.

;)

I dropped the book in a dungeon that explains decoration because I already read it and was over burden. Went back to town and I'm not sure how to decorate the home anymore. Any help would be greatly appreciated so I don't have to load 2 hours back.

I just read it so it's fresh in my mind, basically the book explains to you what the various decoration "packages" you can purchase do to your house. You have to buy them from the Steward in Whiterun, whom....I'm having trouble finding....

Firebrand

So it seems I have a bounty of 2000 with some place I've never been to, even though I haven't really done anything (well, a couple of murders but who's counting, really). Is it because I (opening spoilers)
sided with the rebels?

I also picked up a bounty of 5 in Riverwood for picking a lock despite noone being there. Not a big fine to pay off except I'm carrying so much stolen goods that they'd confiscate. Maybe they didn't fix the "chickens reporting crimes?" bug after all?

Sullichin

not having played any other game in this series and coming from dark souls, I did not like this game at first. The intro didn't really impress. However I was sold after my very first real dungeon (the one that was in that walkthrough video) and first dragon fight. Yeah the combat is kind of retarded but it's still fun.

Uh.. dragon bones/scales. They weigh so much, can I safely sell these? Do I have a house in whiterun somewhere???

styl3s

I asked this some pages back but never got a response so ill try one last time.

I am level 7, not too far into the game at least not on the main quest line i just did the first dragon thing but i am wondering is it too late to try or switch to a different armor? or play style? i kind of want to switch to heavy armor and a shield/1h but also have destruction for range.

johntown

Banned
Can anyone tell me where the Conjurer trainer in Winterhold is? His name is Finnis and I have looked everywhere but I cannot find him.

Nevermind....I waited in the sleeping area andfound him there.

Mideon

FuzzyNorman said:
I think there is something wrong with my game. I am in the Golden Claw Dungeon (the first one), and I am in the room with the 3 pillars with eagles on them. It says press A to activate, but it doesn't do anything. I tried to restart the game and everything, but nothing is working...

Yeah it's a bug mate I had to leave the dungeon and go back in.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Loxley said:
I just read it so it's fresh in my mind, basically the book explains to you what the various decoration "packages" you can purchase do to your house. You have to buy them from the Steward in Whiterun, whom....I'm having trouble finding....

Problem is I can find the steward but after ditching the book he doesn't seem to give me the option :( Can I just find the book elsewhere? Backtracked to the dungeon and can't seem to find it bah.

Thorald quest
Is it possible to get him out without attacking the fort? I chose to go alone and try to find a non-violent solution, but none of the guards at the fort wants to talk to me. There's only two things I can ask them and neither leads anywhere.

Zeliard

ElyrionX said:
Anyone else not feeling the mage?

I started off really strongly but now I'm at level 11 with Destruction at level 35 and all available Destruction perks already picked (including the 25% damage ones). I also picked Magicka at every level so I've got 250 Magicka now.

But I'm struggling a bit with some enemies in some of my recent battles. My mana drains too fast and I'm not dealing damage quickly enough. Also, I'm not sure if it's my imagination but dual casting spells doesn't seem to be more efficient than casting them singularly.

Also, the 60 seconds timer on the defensive spells like Oakflesh and Stoneflesh are annoying. It runs out too quickly and constantly recasting them before each battle is really annoying.

I'm still really early at level 6 but I haven't hit a wall yet on Master, as mainly a Destruction mage so far.

Remember to use your other tools as a mage, like crowd control. Use Conjuration or Illusion to cause distractions in battle to help you out. Hire a companion to serve as a useful distraction; they also tend to hit quite hard. Put on some Mage robes for a major boost in Magicka regen in combat. If you're going mainly mage then you're going to have natural issues with defense, but you can accomodate through other ways.

I actually thought the beginning was tougher on Master as a mage because you're not really blocking anything and pretty much just taking blows, and you may not have defensive spells at that point (I didn't since I hadn't been to a town that sold any yet).

Also, the fact that spells like Oakflesh/Stoneflesh are timed is the whole point since that's what balances them out.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
FuzzyNorman said:
I think there is something wrong with my game. I am in the Golden Claw Dungeon (the first one), and I am in the room with the 3 pillars with eagles on them. It says press A to activate, but it doesn't do anything. I tried to restart the game and everything, but nothing is working...
If this is the room I think of, you have to
look which symbols are marked in the room itself, near and over the exit, then match up the pillars (lower symbol, upper left, upper right) and pull the lever.

edit oh, they won't actually do nothing? okay, my fault.

GhaleonEB

What is the criteria for getting a location to mark as "Cleared" on the map? I've ransacked and looted Fort Greymoor from one end to the other a few times now and it won't mark as cleared. Does that mean I'm missing something big in there?

W1SSY

Zhaanie said:
I killed two ice trolls by getting them stuck on a stair case at level 4, then I just spammed magic and arrows until they died.

Tried to fight one at close range earlier, pretty much got owned within a second.
Yea I got worked by a troll at level 4. Originally I was worried it was too easy and was going to up the difficulty because the first dragon wasn't a challenge but then I got destroyed by the troll and then a giant.

Really loving my dark elf. Working on a battle mage type class. Using a sword in right and off hand a destruction spell. I put a couple hours in and am close to getting my first house.

Zeliard

GhaleonEB said:
What is the criteria for getting a location to mark as "Cleared" on the map? I've ransacked and looted Fort Greymoor from one end to the other a few times now and it won't mark as cleared. Does that mean I'm missing something big in there?

I think someone earlier mentioned it's cleared after killing every enemy.

MRORANGE said:
horses are awesome, pony-gaf will be all over this.

5Ysjo.jpg

UDrEK.jpg

EGFGT.jpg

YB1kh.jpg

awesome! I can't get enough of this game, gah!

charsace

bengraven said:
You can beat up a woman in one of the two inns in Whiterun and she'll follow you around as well. No, she doesn't make sammichs.

Take THAT women's lib!
I loled a little when people clapped and danced after I beat up the woman.

Ashkeloth

FuzzyNorman said:

I had this exact same problem. If you kill the bandit who pulls the lever and is supposed to die to show off the arrow traps in the room just after he has pulled the lever but before he dies, the pillars get stuck on three eagles. Just reload a previous save, although you probably already have at this point.

It's just some dodgy scripting.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
FuzzyNorman said:
Do you mean the room with the gate and the lever?
Look around at your environment, and then try "activating" the objects on your left as well

Dr.Guru of Peru said:
The game can look great at times, but honestly- it can also look downright ugly at times.
All of the stuff they showed publicly was so deceptive. I don't recall a game that looked so beautiful at times that could look so ordinary at other times.

stone128

I'm thinking I have found a bug, maybe I have to start all over :/

I'm doing the "Diplomatic Immunity" quest, but managed to bring zero gear with me... how the hell am I supposed to finish that quest when you are stuck inside the building? Don't have any saves I can load either...

ElyrionX

Zeliard said:
I'm still really early at level 6 but I haven't hit a wall yet on Master, as mainly a Destruction mage so far.

Remember to use your other tools as a mage, like crowd control. Use Conjuration or Illusion to cause distractions in battle to help you out. Hire a companion to serve as a useful distraction; they also tend to hit quite hard. Put on some Mage robes for a major boost in Magicka regen in combat. If you're going mainly mage then you're going to have natural issues with defense, but you can accomodate through other ways.

I actually thought the beginning was tougher on Master as a mage because you're not really blocking anything and pretty much just taking blows, and you may not have defensive spells at that point (I didn't since I hadn't been to a town that sold any yet).

Also, the fact that spells like Oakflesh/Stoneflesh are timed is the whole point since that's what balances them out.

I heard there is a court mage in Windhelm to buy spells from. Any idea whether it'd be better to head there or to Winterhold?

Lyonaz

styl3s said:
I asked this some pages back but never got a response so ill try one last time.

I am level 7, not too far into the game at least not on the main quest line i just did the first dragon thing but i am wondering is it too late to try or switch to a different armor? or play style? i kind of want to switch to heavy armor and a shield/1h but also have destruction for range.
Nah it's never too late to switch, just go for it, you level your skill when you use them so go ahead and use them.

BeeDog

FINALLY fixed the Bonechill crashing, phew. Anyway, what's the best way to fight a dragon after the first one in the main quest? I'm getting my ass handed by the ones that randomly shows up around Whiterun.

GhaleonEB

Zeliard said:
I think someone earlier mentioned it's cleared after killing every enemy.
That can't be it then, as I've canvassed the place a dozen times over now. It's not a huge place, you can walk from one end to the other (including the prison section) in two minutes. And I've spent the better part of half an hour with the place empty and fully looted, looking for something, anything, I might have missed. Still not "Cleared".

I'm just going to conclude it's a broken feature.

TheKurgan

This game is sooo much better than Oblivion - might even rank up there with Morrowind. Graphics look great at 1080p on ultra and I haven't run into any major bugs yet. Mind you I have barely made it past the first Bandit Hut/Cave. Just needs a good UI/inventory mod for PC.

Good job Bethesda.

Zeliard

ElyrionX said:
I heard there is a court mage in Windhelm to buy spells from. Any idea whether it'd be better to head there or to Winterhold?

Can't say, as I haven't been to either yet. :p

Though I was planning on a stop to Winterhold soon to visit the College of Winterhold and possibly join up with them.

jonno394

Just got the game today and the compass bar has me confused. Some symbols on it don't appear in the manual, is there a comprehensive guide to what they all mean?

ironcreed

Banned
Only 7 hours in @ level 6, but the game has already surpassed my expectations and more than lived up to what I wanted it to be. Indeed, the main character in the game is not you, but the land of Skyrim itself. It is easy to see the tremendous amount of love and care that was put into crafting this majestic world. The place literally feels alive and any quirks or funny animations can in no way take away from the magnitude of this game and the incredible attention to detail it has.

As for the gameplay and mechanics, it is slicker, has fat trimmed in the right places, but is still also incredibly deep, with more freedom and variety than ever. It just feels like it stands on it's own, outside of the old box of what an RPG is 'supposed to be' and gives the player a slicker and more rewarding experience, yet with all the freedom and depth you could want as well. Like many of the reviews state, I am going to have to agree that it is without question one of the finest role playing games yet made. In fact, I think it is probably the most magical, most alive and most beautiful game world I have ever had the pleasure to play in.

9 hours done in 2 days, I love this game already. Got 2 dragon shouts so far but still not seen a dragon as of yet. apart from the intro of course.
Going the steslth mage route and finding it really interesting, love how much the environments and weather has been improved visually so far

Zeliard

Kuro Madoushi said:
wait wait...hire a companion?! Where the hell do I do this?!!?!?

There's an early one you can get in
Whiterun, in the bar. Female melee/bow mercenary, costs 500 to hire.

Much like in Fallout 3 & NV, one of their most useful functions is to store stuff on them.

MedIC86

Can you repair weapons with charges or how does this work ?

also anyone knows what kind of places you can make as your house? i loved cragspire in oblivion

Spat_triate

OMG. I just killed my second dragon and was about to absorb his soul when
A lich (Krisinos or something) rose from a half buried coffin and killed me with two spells!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom