• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
erragal said:
Shields are incredible.

Shield bashing always staggers regular enemies it seems and power bash will stagger/knock down anything I've encountered so far. Interrupting dragon breath is epic; the damage is really good as well once you get the perk for it.

Of course I'm playing a shield/spell type character with no armor. I'd much rather have a shield than the underwhelming dual casting, especially the quest shield I have that raises a ward when you block.

I got the Power Bash perk, but I'm not sure how to use it. Is it just Hold Block and then attack? It doesn't seem any different than bash was before that perk.

Echoplx

Holy lol! Just went into my first dungeon after getting my Daedric armor, I am pretty much unstoppable, only had to use a potion once when up against two deathlords (im lvl 31)

Leunam

flashburn2012 said:
I got the Power Bash perk, but I'm not sure how to use it. Is it just Hold Block and then attack? It doesn't seem any different than bash was before that perk.

Hold block then hold attack.

SmellyHands said:
I know it's stupid, but when I heard the Jarl was giving me a housecarl I kept hoping it was gonna be a guy that looked like this guy.

Carl.png

Hmm... its all starting to make sense. The upturned Cabbage Cart I found was in fact... THE DANGER CART!

top-50-famous-cars-aqua-teen-hunger-force_288x288.jpg

Weird encounter from yesterday. Me and Lydia were wandering around, as we do, and we came across those elf guys who are pissed at Talos taking this guy to do some questioning. So I'm thinking, fuck these elves I'll save this guy. Well I wind up talking to one of the elves and while I'm doing that some rocks fall off the mountain next to us and killed the guy I wanted to save (made me wonder if it was scripted though, I don't recall seeing rocks fall all that often). I killed the elves anyway.

ksimm said:
I had to lol at Lydia yesterday whilst fighting a mage in Labyrinthian, she got her arse kicked and shouted 'not like this', thinking someone in the real world unplugged her from the Matrix. :p

The Matrix was the first thing that came to mind when I first heard her say that.

erragal

flashburn2012 said:

The animation is very similar to the quick bash and the stamina usage isn't much different either but there are two different bashes. I've also found that even tapping can sometimes trigger the power bash when it's supposed to be hold. Don't be alarmed though; I thought the same thing at first until I tested it out a few times.

phew... got my collector's guide! This bastard is MEATY! So glad I pre-ordered it as you already can't find it anywhere... I wonder if they are going to print more?

erragal said:
The animation is very similar to the quick bash and the stamina usage isn't much different either but there are two different bashes. I've also found that even tapping can sometimes trigger the power bash when it's supposed to be hold. Don't be alarmed though; I thought the same thing at first until I tested it out a few times.

Okay, thanks. I'll screw around with it a bit when I get home. Stupid work.

KingK

I'm asking this again since I never got a reply, but will I ever find any armor better than the Dwarven armor that I currently have, or have I screwed myself over by not leveling up my Smithing? I'm level 16 or 17 right now I think, about 25 hours into the game, and I've been using this Dwarven armor I found and my Skyforged Steel for a long time.

syllogism

TheExodu5 said:
That's quite ridiculous, then. Apparently you can make a sword that does thousands of damage. :|

1) Enchant gear that boosts alchemy
2) Make potions that boost enchanting
3) Repeat x3
4) Enchant gear that boosts weaponry
5) Enchant gear that boosts smithing
6) Make the strongest blacksmith potion possible
7) Augment ridiculously strong gear
Yes, been there done that. Wouldn't be an elder scrolls game without it being possible to "break" the game with enchanting, eventually.

Salaadin

KingK said:
I'm asking this again since I never got a reply, but will I ever find any armor better than the Dwarven armor that I currently have, or have I screwed myself over by not leveling up my Smithing? I'm level 16 or 17 right now I think, about 25 hours into the game, and I've been using this Dwarven armor I found and my Skyforged Steel for a long time.

I was using some Dwarven and came across from Orcish in a dungeon.

From what I hear, Smithing is insanely easy and cheap to level up so Im going to give that a shot. Mine is only 20-25 and I want it higher so I can craft my own stuff.
Anyone have any tips on getting Smithing up fast?

syllogism

KingK said:
I've found ebony gear/glass gear and some fixed daedric weapons at least. Regardless, even if you didn't need smithing to get a full daedric set, you do "need" smithing because smithing allows you to improve items from the base value, quite drastically really.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Ok regarding that homeless dudes quest loot (he was in solitude for those wondering)

the staff I got is so random... Kills most people one one shot... Sometimes turns them into random things like a daedra to a donut wow... I was terrified when the daedra popped out because I was near death and ran for my life

erragal

KingK said:

You're just too low level for it to be popping up in the likely low level dungeons you're doing. As you level shopkeepers will start selling better equipment and the random drops will be better. Lots of quests have fixed items too which can often be really good as well; I'll probably be using the same shield I got at level 22 for the entire game.

KingK

Salaadin said:
I was using some Dwarven and came across from Orcish in a dungeon.

From what I hear, Smithing is insanely easy and cheap to level up so Im going to give that a shot. Mine is only 20-25 and I want it higher so I can craft my own stuff.
Anyone have any tips on getting Smithing up fast?

Yeah, but to be able to smith armor, you need to invest in the Smithing perks. I don't want to spend 4 perks on Smithing to be able to make Ebony armor, so I might just have to stick with whatever I find.

Although, the only skills I've put any perks into so far are Destruction, One-Handed, Heavy Armor, and Restoration, so I might be able to spare some for Smithing.

I'm enjoying my Wood Elf thief/mage combo, but I'm thinking of starting over and going with a more pure mage class. I'm a sucker for magic and using spells in these types of games and I'm tempted to create a High Elf or Dark Elf mage and give it a go.

Elder Scrolls just beg for multiple plays with different character types because the experience can be so different depending on how you play.

Philthy

ElyrionX said:
Yeah but like I said many pages back, the game would be so much better if it had better loot. I'm not asking for Diablo levels of insanity here but perhaps something like Baldur's Gate 2?

This is probably my only complaint. I really haven't found much either. I'd like to find weapons that set things on fire with no worries about having to recharge them ever. Or maybe a hammer that knocks everything back a few feet, again, with no need to recharge them. Every time I think I find something neat, its like a sword with life drain for 10 hits. Great, so after the first 3 wolves I run into it's totally worthless. The whole charge thing is a bit of a waste.

TCRS

Banned
Can I leave my stuff laying around in my house or is it only saved in chests and drawers? I want to decorate my house with some of my weapons but I can't activate the weapons rack (RRRAAGGGGEEE!!! another 360 bug). So I just want to put it on my table or something.

KingK said:

I found some dragon armor in a chest by a shout wall (or whatever they're called) when I was about that level. Replaced my steel armor nicely.

RyanDG

Fought my first dragon
priest

Wow.

I'm glad I got the shield perk that boosts my elemental defense. I burned through nearly every potion I was carrying.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I'm just getting started in this game, but I've already noticed there's quite a bit of Resident Evil style puzzles in this game. I just got the golden claw, and couldn't solve the puzzle of opening the door, so I called it a night. I hope these aren't a common occurance.

erragal

KingK said:
Yeah, but to be able to smith armor, you need to invest in the Smithing perks. I don't want to spend 4 perks on Smithing to be able to make Ebony armor, so I might just have to stick with whatever I find.

Although, the only skills I've put any perks into so far are Destruction, One-Handed, Heavy Armor, and Restoration, so I might be able to spare some for Smithing.

I think you can be succesful without the perks in smithing just relying on found armor and improvements (Which need skill levels but not perks). At least for the shield I have it uses Dwarven Ingots for improvement but testing the dwarven smithing perk did not double my improvement level. There are also potions/enchants for raising your smithing percentage so your improvements are better.

KingK

TCRS said:
Can I leave my stuff laying around in my house or is it only saved in chests and drawers? I want to decorate my house with some of my weapons but I can't activate the weapons rack (RRRAAGGGGEEE!!! another 360 bug). So I just want to put it on my table or something.

Pretty sure you can leave it there. There were some books that I had multiple copies of, I went outside my house and just dropped the extras in the middle of the street in Whiterun. They've been there for about 15 hours of play now, lol.

erragal said:
I think you can be succesful without the perks in smithing just relying on found armor and improvements (Which need skill levels but not perks). At least for the shield I have it uses Dwarven Ingots for improvement but testing the dwarven smithing perk did not double my improvement level. There are also potions/enchants for raising your smithing percentage so your improvements are better.
Yeah, all my weapons/armor are upgraded to Fine currently. I might work on grinding my Smithing a bit to upgrade them further. It kinda sucks though how it seems like you have to focus on Smithing at least a decent amount for any character other than a mage.

charsace

syllogism said:
I've found ebony gear/glass gear and some fixed daedric weapons at least. Regardless, even if you didn't need smithing to get a full daedric set, you do "need" smithing because smithing allows you to improve items from the base value, quite drastically really.
And allows you to wear a dragon!

Sullichin

Yoshichan said:
This is the art of Skyrim. You don't necessarily get a good, scripted item from doing a dungeon - sometimes you just have to be happy with the money and loot you get. I'd dislike it if you always got enchanted gear every dungeon you enter.

Keep playing. Some dungeon loot = FUCKING AMAZING. And the satisfaction of finding them? Oh soooo good.

Yeah, it's not all the time, but recently I got a necromancy spell and a fire-enchanted sword in the same chest. This is after I died and reloaded a save, previously that chest had nothing noteworthy in it.

My game froze last night :|

I've gotten several 30+ second freezes but that one was for good. PS3.

richiek said:
I'm just getting started in this game, but I've already noticed there's quite a bit of Resident Evil style puzzles in this game. I just got the golden claw, and couldn't solve the puzzle of opening the door, so I called it a night. I hope these aren't a common occurance.

Mang, that puzzle is so easy.

Loved it.

TCRS

Banned
KingK said:
Pretty sure you can leave it there. There were some books that I had multiple copies of, I went outside my house and just dropped the extras in the middle of the street in Whiterun. They've been there for about 15 hours of play now, lol.

loool. ok thx.

Bethesda needs to fix the weapons rack bug. The fact that you can activate the book shelf increases atmosphere about 10 times. With weapons it would be just amazing!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, so I had something really weird happen to me. I found a random dead sabre cat in the middle of a road, and after I looted it it started glowing and made a REALLY loud explosion sound. The glow lingered for a few moments but eventually faded. Was that some kind of trap? It didn't seem to hurt my HP...

Wessiej

Stupid stupid horse. I just bought you 4 minutes ago, why are you attacking powerfull enemies who punch you to dead in no time?

ElyrionX

Anyone here playing a pure Destruction mage and have reached a high level yet? How viable are the high level Destruction spells at end-game? I'm reading that Destruction is fairly weak in this game at higher levels (mid-20s and above) and to be honest at level 15, I am feeling quite a bit of it myself. The problem is that Destruction spells don't scale in damage with your skill. So a Fireball that does 50 damage seems pretty cool when you're level 15 but when you're level 30, it's not going to do shit anymore.

Another of one of my concerns is that I've been pumping Magicka non-stop and my Health is at the default 100 and I find myself getting one- or two-shotted a lot. Surprisingly, I find that melee enemies can still be taken down but against strong mages, it's a huge chore. They seem to have infinite Magicka and can repeatedly spam wards, destruction spells and heals. If not for Shouts, I think I would have a far harder time with this game than what I'm currently experiencing (which is already a little challenging at times).

Salaadin

richiek said:

Im 20 or so hours in and havent had any puzzles that truly stumped me. Most of them just require a quick scour of the room youre in or search nearby bodies/tables for clues.
The golden claw puzzle answer is actually found
on a note that the guy has on him. "The answer is in the palm of your hand" is the clue. What you need to do is go to the claw in your inventory and actually view the claw, spin it around to the palm, and theres your answer. Its confusing at first because I didnt know you could view the items like that.

KingK said:

Im wondering about this too. I heard you stop earning perks at 50? Its making me hesitant to invest in something thats only partially useful like Smithing because, once I craft the armor I want, Ill probably never use it again. Once you obtain the best set in the game, what reason do I have to ever craft again?

i played for about 7 hours. have to say. this is the first game from bethesda where i am actually enjoying it. the other games like oblivion and new vegas it just didn't hook with me in the first few hours! i am pleased.

DangerStepp

Loving the game so far, I think I've put in a solid 20+ hours so far over the weekend. Level 12 1/2.

I'm kind of scared of taking
Lydia
with me on journeys. I'm scared she'll get in the middle of a battle and croak.

Philthy

thefil said:
I brute forced it. Didn't realize until hours later that I could examine/rotate items in my inventory.

I didn't figure it out until someone mentioned pushing in the control stick zooms in on an item and you can examine it more closely.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The loot is actually pretty terrible in Skyrim, yes. It's a combination of several factors.

-WYSIWYG loot system is only selectively enforced. There are basically no enemies walking around in lootable high level gear sets. Best I've seen is steel plate. Kill an extreme badass enemy, expect to loot an empty or near-empty corpse and be directed to the level-scaled chest of loot next to his body. This is just not nearly as satisfying even if you get something good in there. An example in Morrowind would be entering a remote dungeon and finding a Vampire Lord in full glass armor and weapons, having an epic battle with him, then having an ear to ear grin as you loot all that stuff for your character.

-Instead of level scaled bandits in glass armor, we have level-replaced "BANDIT CHIEFTAIN OVERLORD GOD-KING" level 50 enemies still wearing leather.

-Simplified stat system doesn't allow for as much magical loot variety.

-Only six equipment slots for armor/accessories means that replacing gear is very infrequent, and some questline sets render all the primary slots irrelevant for tens of hours at a time (and they can be upgraded with smithing to last you basically the entire game if you want).

-Enchanting system granting you permanent crafting status of any generic loot you receive (quest-type items are exempt from this since they usually can't be disenchanted) means that certain types of enchantments on gear are purposely withheld for a very long time for balance purposes, so you just won't see that type of gear drop, even in weaker forms (because getting a sword of 1 health absorb lets you disenchant and make your own sword of 50 health absorb, hypothetically).

-Merchants are all level-scaled. Merchants eventually all sell the high tiers of gear, making what you find in the wild not seem special.

-No scarcity of crafting materials, again with the merchants level scaling and providing you with infinite materials for making glass/ebony/etc. Why can you even go out into the game world and gather 2-4 ores per mine when the merchants have infinite stacks? Wasted opportunity for resource scarcity, at least for the rare materials. Also an immersion-breaker and specialness eradicator to see podunk town smiths with a full stock of ebony and malachite ingots later in the game.

-Almost all the hand-placed loot of value in dungeons and houses is potions. Occasionally I'll find a glass or ebony weapon hand-placed in a harder dungeon, but I am generally just overwhelmed by the potions I'm receiving.

I've killed 4 dragons now but I'm not able to unlock new shouts cause its says I need a dragon soul. I've stood there and seen it enter my body. What am I doing wrong?

Venfayth

EviLore said:
Almost all the hand-placed loot of value in dungeons and houses is potions. Occasionally I'll find a glass or ebony weapon hand-placed in a harder dungeon, but I am generally just overwhelmed by the potions I'm receiving.

Most of the stuff I find is potions, but I chug potions like a madman. However I've got maybe half a dozen weapons I use and switch between frequently, I've actually been having trouble selling all of the weapons I don't need because I've gotten so many from dungeons and quests combined and I'm too lazy to travel to many different cities because vendors run out of money so fast.

Harry Potter said:
I've killed 4 dragons now but I'm not able to unlock new shouts cause its says I need a dragon soul. I've stood there and seen it enter my body. What am I doing wrong?

Select the Shout in your magic menu and hit the unlock key (for PC it's R, I believe)

KingK

ElyrionX said:
Anyone here playing a pure Destruction mage and have reached a high level yet? How viable are the high level Destruction spells at end-game? I'm reading that Destruction is fairly weak in this game at higher levels (mid-20s and above) and to be honest at level 15, I am feeling quite a bit of it myself. The problem is that Destruction spells don't scale in damage with your skill. So a Fireball that does 50 damage seems pretty cool when you're level 15 but when you're level 30, it's not going to do shit anymore.

Another of one of my concerns is that I've been pumping Magicka non-stop and my Health is at the default 100 and I find myself getting one- or two-shotted a lot. Surprisingly, I find that melee enemies can still be taken down but against strong mages, it's a huge chore. They seem to have infinite Magicka and can repeatedly spam wards, destruction spells and heals. If not for Shouts, I think I would have a far harder time with this game than what I'm currently experiencing (which is already a little challenging at times).

Yeah, I'm playing a Dunmer battle mage, and at the beginning of the game I almost felt overpowered with my Destruction in left hand, and sword in my right, but already at like level 17 I'm noticing that my destruction is becoming less and less useful and I'm having to rely more heavily on my swords. I've already put like 4 or 5 perks in Destruction, so it's too late to turn back, I guess. I'll just have to stick with it and hope it remains somewhat effective. At least using Lighting bolt or whatever is somewhat useful against mages since it drains their magika too.

Gandie

Harry Potter said:

Press R in the shout menu, it will prompt you to confirm.

Aesius

EviLore said:
The loot is actually pretty terrible in Skyrim, yes. It's a combination of several factors.

-WYSIWYG loot system is only selectively enforced. There are basically no enemies walking around in lootable high level gear sets. Best I've seen is steel plate. Kill an extreme badass enemy, expect to loot an empty or near-empty corpse and be directed to the level-scaled chest of loot next to his body. This is just not nearly as satisfying even if you get something good in there. An example in Morrowind would be entering a remote dungeon and finding a Vampire Lord in full glass armor and weapons, having an epic battle with him, then having an ear to ear grin as you loot all that stuff for your character.

-Instead of level scaled bandits in glass armor, we have level-replaced "BANDIT CHIEFTAIN OVERLORD GOD-KING" level 50 enemies still wearing leather.

-Simplified stat system doesn't allow for as much magical loot variety.

-Only six equipment slots for armor/accessories means that replacing gear is very infrequent, and some questline sets render all the primary slots irrelevant for tens of hours at a time (and they can be upgraded with smithing to last you basically the entire game if you want).

-Enchanting system granting you permanent crafting status of any generic loot you receive (quest-type items are exempt from this since they usually can't be disenchanted) means that certain types of enchantments on gear are purposely withheld for a very long time for balance purposes, so you just won't see that type of gear drop, even in weaker forms (because getting a sword of 1 health absorb lets you disenchant and make your own sword of 50 health absorb, hypothetically).

-Merchants are all level-scaled. Merchants eventually all sell the high tiers of gear, making what you find in the wild not seem special.

-No scarcity of crafting materials, again with the merchants level scaling and providing you with infinite materials for making glass/ebony/etc. Why can you even go out into the game world and gather 2-4 ores per mine when the merchants have infinite stacks? Wasted opportunity for resource scarcity, at least for the rare materials. Also an immersion-breaker and specialness eradicator to see podunk town smiths with a full stock of ebony and malachite ingots later in the game.

-Almost all the hand-placed loot of value in dungeons and houses is potions. Occasionally I'll find a glass or ebony weapon hand-placed in a harder dungeon, but I am generally just overwhelmed by the potions I'm receiving.

Mods will save us all.

I'm trying to imagine an OOO type mod for Skyrim, and my mind starts to boggle a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom