• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
EviLore said:
Also, there doesn't seem to be any way to name your enchanted item creations? :/

I have to have my soul trap dagger and my non-soul trap dagger at different smithing upgrade levels to identify them on my favorites menu.

It doesn't get the "of soultrapping" or whatever suffix?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Dave Inc. said:
You can name them, there's a button for it in the enchanting UI. It's "Y" with the 360 controller (I'm on PC with the controller)

Ah, okay, didn't notice.

Blizzard

Banned
EviLore said:
Also, there doesn't seem to be any way to name your enchanted item creations? :/

I have to have my soul trap dagger and my non-soul trap dagger at different smithing upgrade levels to identify them on my favorites menu.
Have you ever played Nethack?

Mixing random potions, carrying loot, and storying things in containers reminds me of Nethack. You could nickname items there too. In one dungeon I stored a whole bunch of junk in a coffin since I didn't have capacity to carry it out, and I found myself wishing I could engrave in the floor "Hey, remember to check XYZ coffin and carry the loot out if you come back here."

webrunner

Sorry, again, what benefit does the actual locksmith skill give you? I know that the perks make specific kinds of locks easier, but does the skill make it easier in any way? Stronger lockpicks? Bigger range?

Salaadin

TheExodu5 said:
Man...this game would have been so much better with zero level scaling. Considering the amount of effort they put into designing such a well crafted world, I'm amazed they didn't go the extra mile and properly distribute static/unique loot. The game is a massive step up from Oblivion, that's for sure...but once you level up enough the flaws are evident.

Care to elaborate? Im curious.

erragal

EviLore said:

This is why I've been holding onto 1 of every different type of necklace/ring that I create. At the very least they could have tacked on the affix to the name of the item for easy identification; I don't need 7 different 'Gold Rings' with various different properties I have to actually highlight over to see.

EDIT: Saw the post on naming Enchanted items. Completely missed that, thanks Dave Inc !

thefil

Good points overall about the loot and magic systems (in particular I find the lack of ability to even know higher level spells exist infuriating).

However, it does seem like Bethesda got enough right with this one that the requisite modding to make it an ultimate experience will be minimal.

It's interesting how different people approach the game though. Some of you seem all about leveling up to get your next perks and so on, or excitement for new gear. Personally I'm finding the leveling too fast and would rather just continue exploring. I wish that I ran into more areas that were too difficult for me though - so far I'd say I hit about two locations where I had to turn around. Really makes the level scaling feel obvious.

brerwolfe

MrBig said:
LBO3w.jpg

This was amazing.
i don't feel like this shot received the proper attention it deserved, so i'm quoting it. fucking awesome..

ElyrionX

syllogism said:
You probably really need those -x% to mana cost enchantments end game if you want to feel powerful. While magic, even with fortify destructions potions (you can probably make like +100% damage potions with high enough alchemy), won't be quite as absurdly broken as melee with enough smithing/enchantment/alchemy abuse, some of the end game spells sound powerful enough once the mana cost is in control. For instance:

"Target takes 75 points of shock damage per second to Health, and half that to Magicka." seems nice when it's almost free to cast

The problem is getting those magicka cost reduction enchantments. I don't think you can enchant boots and gloves so that leaves veey few items you can enchant for that. Also, can you put two different enchantments on one item? If you can't then it's going to be hard balancing regen and cost reduction enchantments.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
ElyrionX said:
The problem is getting those magicka cost reduction enchantments. I don't think you can enchant boots and gloves so that leaves veey few items you can enchant for that. Also, can you put two different enchantments on one item? If you can't then it's going to be hard balancing regen and cost reduction enchantments.

You can only put two enchantments on an item with the 100 enchanting perk.

inky

TheExodu5 said:
Man...this game would have been so much better with zero level scaling. Considering the amount of effort they put into designing such a well crafted world, I'm amazed they didn't go the extra mile and properly distribute static/unique loot. The game is a massive step up from Oblivion, that's for sure...but once you level up enough the flaws are evident.

I haven't bought Skyrim yet (tomorrow probably) so I am not entirely sure how it works, but I agree that in Oblivion it was stupid just how you went out and fought rats, then a wolf would appear in its place, then a spider, then an atronach, and so on. Or how mere highway bandits would be wearing glass armor, but still carrying 5 gold on them.

But... how would you do the difficulty level in the game then? Wouldn't having locked out areas or dungeons with super high levels compared to yours defeat the purpose of "go anywhere and do anything"? It'd have to be a more linear experience for it to work, wouldn't it?

ElyrionX said:

You can definitely enchant boots, and I'm pretty sure you can do gloves (at work and can't check my character). This is for heavy armor, though I'm sure other armors will work the same.

Shahadan said:
Tilde key, the console appears and you type "player.modav carryweight 5000" or whatever number you want.
Yeah, cheating's totally cool. Just bring a companion along, they can carry tons of shit.

webrunner said:
Sorry, again, what benefit does the actual locksmith skill give you? I know that the perks make specific kinds of locks easier, but does the skill make it easier in any way? Stronger lockpicks? Bigger range?
It feels like it ups the range. I'm only at 30-35 or so but I can pop more difficult locks much easier than I used to be able to.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Fragamemnon said:
You can definitely enchant boots, and I'm pretty sure you can do gloves (at work and can't check my character). This is for heavy armor, though I'm sure other armors will work the same.

Yeah, there are restrictions on which enchantments you can put onto which slot, though.

TheExodu5

Banned
Salaadin said:

You can basically read EviLore's last 2 big posts.

Synopsis:

1) Enemies still seem to scale with you, it's just their loot that doesn't.
2) Chests are completely random and scale with you.
3) Merchant items scale with you, including weapons, crafting materials, and spells...this is my biggest problem with the game.

I also think smithing is too powerful, and hitting 100 smithing is not that difficult, and at this point I simply don't really have any loot to look forward to. The loot system is rather poor, in the end.

inky said:
I haven't bought Skyrim yet (tomorrow probably) and I agree that in Oblivion it was stupid just how you went out and fought rats, then a wolf would appear in its place, then a spider, then an atronach, and so on. Or how mere highway bandits would be wearing glass armor, but still carrying 5 gold on them.

But... how would you do the difficulty level in the game then? Wouldn't having locked out areas or dungeons with super high levels compared to yours defeat the purpose of "go anywhere and do anything?" It'd have to be a more linear experience for it to work, wouldn't it?

See Risen if you want an example of how to do things. Granted, it didn't quite have the scale of Skyrim, but I don't think there's anything wrong with locking out parts of the game because you're simply not strong enough to take them on. It gives you some motivation to level and get stronger.

ckohler

ElyrionX said:
You can't enchant boots or gloves?! What exactly CAN you enchant?

ElyrionX

Fragamemnon said:

I've tried enchanting boots and gloves with magicka regen before, game says the enchantment doesn't work on those items.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I could do master locks without any lockpicking perks and skill at like 30, in 5-10 lockpicks, so putting points into lockpicking perks seems comically bad.

TheExodu5 said:
I also think smithing is too powerful, and hitting 100 smithing is not that difficult, and at this point I simply don't really have any loot to look forward to. The loot system is rather poor, in the end.
There's nothing saying that you have to grind your way up to 100 smithing right off the bat just because it's easy.

TheExodu5

Banned
EviLore said:
I could do master locks without any lockpicking perks and skill at like 30, in 5-10 lockpicks, so putting points into lockpicking perks seems comically bad.

Yup. I had 2 points into lockpicking perks, but I shamelessly used console commands to reassign those points after I found out how useless they were. Pickpocketing higher than 1/5 is useless as well considering you can save and reload to pickpocket (you're basically forced to anyways, seeing as how pickpocketing chance maxes out at 90%).

Dave Inc. said:
There's nothing saying that you have to grind your way up to 100 smithing right off the bat just because it's easy.

Whatever. Blame it on the player. I'll blame it on poor design by the developer.

If I find out that making leather bracers is the fastest way to smith, that's what I'll do. There's no other way to get smithing to 100 besides mindless grinding.

TheExodu5 said:

Scaling is awful. No matter how cleverly they think it's implemented it can never be as good as everything unscaled.

I was doing one Companions quest where I had to kill a rival leader, and when I went to do it the guy was decked out in dwarven armor and basically one-shotted me with some fire sword. So I gave up and went back a couple levels later, only now it's a different guy and he's got iron armor and some shitty mace instead. I figured an enemy that I had encountered once already would at least stay the same. :/

Volimar

EviLore said:

Good for people that suck at picking maybe...

Though I suppose those people could just use spells for that if those spells are in Skyrim.

crustikid

Can a skill hit over 100 if you have a racial bonus, or is the cap strictly 100? If I am a Nord, will my 2H sword skill max at 100 or 110?

For the people with stealthy/thieving characters:

Where do you find your daggers? I've got the
Blade of Woe
from the DB. But I can't find one equally good.

(I'm lvl 20 btw)

erragal

ElyrionX said:
Not sure if you saw my question on the previous page. But I'm wondering if you can share how you've been distributing health magicka and stamina. At your level, do you have trouble with enemies if you just use Destruction? Also, how useful do you find warding to be? Do you think it's worth going down the Restoration perk tree just for warding?

Well I'm playing a Spell/shield build but I've been going 3/4 magic and 1/4 health roughly (I did put 3 points in stamina before I realized how it works and that max stam wasn't going to help me).

I'm 31 and most enemies I could deal with using just destruction; the hardest ones are fast moving melee enemies that can get up on you. If I didn't have a shield for them life would be a lot harder and I might favor the ice spells that slow a little more; I also use the ice block shout for controlling tough enemies.

I think if you're going -pure- casting you want the regen magicka perks (It only takes 3 to get them) and you might end up needing warding too. I have a shield that casts a ward when I block; it's a bit ridiculously powerful and has made enemy mages a complete joke. It also let me realize if I were going pure mage having left hand warding with right handed damage spell seems like the way to go.

Personally I've tried out dual casting and I found it underwhelming; animation feels slower, it uses more than double the amount of magicka for some spells, and it does not seem any more than twice as effective. In almost all cases I'd rather have a shield, a ward, or a different type of spell on the offhand. I can't say what doublecast paralyze does though because even with 360 magicka (It's base cost is 100 right now) I do not have enough to doublecast it.

Hope that helps!

Just got home to find Skyrim and collectors edition strategy guide, which could be the biggest SG I've ever seen. Only an Elder Scrolls game can bring me to tears just by seeing it start up. Damn I love this series!

ironcreed

Banned
brerwolfe said:
i don't feel like this shot received the proper attention it deserved, so i'm quoting it. fucking awesome..

Indeed, this game has endless moments like this. Skyrim is not about being the main character, it is all about experiencing the main character. Which is the world itself.

HTuran

eravulgaris said:
For the people with stealthy/thieving characters:

Where do you find your daggers? I've got the
Blade of Woe
from the DB. But I can't find one equally good.

(I'm lvl 20 btw)
What are the stats on that? I was hoping for a decent dagger in the Thieve's Guild, but just got a decent bow and sword. Currently using an Elven Dagger, or something like that.

TheExodu5 said:
Whatever. Blame it on the player. I'll blame it on poor design by the developer.

If I find out that making leather bracers is the fastest way to smith, that's what I'll do. There's no other way to get smithing to 100 besides mindless grinding.
How about you do this:

Oh cool, I can make new armor? I'll go do that. Neat, I got a ring that increases my smithing skill, I'll go upgrade my stuff! If you do that you'll end up in level appropriate gear without breaking the scaling.

Bethesda games have always been easy to break if the player chose to do so.

Blizzard

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Yup. I had 2 points into lockpicking perks, but I shamelessly used console commands to reassign those points after I found out how useless they were. Pickpocketing higher than 1/5 is useless as well considering you can save and reload to pickpocket (you're basically forced to anyways, seeing as how pickpocketing chance maxes out at 90%).
This seems like a personal decision. You can save and reload after anything bad happens in the game (failing a pickpocketing chance for instance), but in real life you wouldn't get that option. It's just different ways to play the game. :)

I am curious if the audio cues while lockpicking are random or if they actually help you pick locks. If there were skills that let me pick locks in a deterministic fashion or using less picks that would be nice, since I don't really know anyone who restocks picks yet.

Fusebox said:
This game is just magical, the music, the atmosphere, I haven't been hooked on a game like this for a long time.
This might be the most dangerous game I've ever played. Dangerous for my free time that is.

If this game had tits I'd marry it.

HTuran said:
What are the stats on that? I was hoping for a decent dagger in the Thieve's Guild, but just got a decent bow and sword. Currently using an Elven Dagger, or something like that.

I think something like 20-25 damage and steal life for 10 points. Can't check it right now.

Pat

Crazetex said:
Has she been actually stealthy (if you're even playing that way, of course)? I'm extremely wary of having a follower on my stealthy characters.

If you're an assassin or thief, don't bring companions unless you know it's gonna be an open field fight.

They sneak like you but they cannot hide as well as you so eventually, a NPC will see your follower and attack him (so no sneak attack bonus when you deliver the blow). It gets worse when there are many NPCs involved in the fight, you cannot hide back when one is dead like you would normally do.

TheExodu5

Banned
Dave Inc. said:
How about you do this:

Oh cool, I can make new armor? I'll go do that. Neat, I got a ring that increases my smithing skill, I'll go upgrade my stuff! If you do that you'll end up in level appropriate gear without breaking the scaling.

Bethesda games have always been easy to break if the player chose to do so.
If you only use smithing as you require it, I guarantee you'll never make it passed 25.

You're going to make leather armor, upgrade it, and make yourself a dagger/bow. Your smithing skill has now hit a wall, and if you want to make Elven armor, you need to grind it 5 points. Reach 30 and make Elven gear and upgrade it, and you're at maybe 35. You now need to grind it for another 35 points to unlock Glass.

It's a terrible crafting profession.

Firebrand

What the fuck :/

Went to Avenicci guy at Dragonsreach in Whiterun to buy the last decoration for my home (alchemy lab + bookshelf), and there's no dialogue option to buy stuff for my home! No bookshelf+alch table for me, /cry.

Last "good" save is hours back, that'd be the second time I have to revert due to bugs :/

EDIT: Crisis averted! Turns out, uhm... furniture store isn't open for business at midnight!

zlatko

Banned
How long does it take for shops to resupply?

I'm trying to quick level some smithing making iron daggers, and have tons of cash to buy iron ingots/ores from shop keeps in White-run, but the two I buy from generally have like 18ish at best. Not sure how long to wait before they get them 18 back to speed up the process.

TheExodu5 said:
If you only use smithing as you require it, I guarantee you'll never make it passed 25.

You're going to make leather armor, upgrade it, and make yourself a dagger/bow. Your smithing skill has now hit a wall, and if you want to make Elven armor, you need to grind it 5 points. Reach 30 and make Elven gear and upgrade it, and you're at maybe 35. You now need to grind it for another 35 points to unlock Glass.

Uh, nice job making a verifiably bullshit claim. I've been smithing here and there to make stuff for myself, upgrade items, try out weapons, make shit for my companion and I'm a little over 50 in the skill, with my #1, #2, and #3 skills at about 65, 60 and 55.

I admit I've made a few bracers but only in situations where I was one or two skill points short of a level or something.

EviLore said:

EXCEPT in the second or third tier there is a perk that "adds a 50% chance to find great treasure"

I totally want that one.

inky

TheExodu5 said:
YSee Risen if you want an example of how to do things. Granted, it didn't quite have the scale of Skyrim, but I don't think there's anything wrong with locking out parts of the game because you're simply not strong enough to take them on. It gives you some motivation to level and get stronger.

I haven't played Risen either so I don't know what you mean =/ In any case I agree, with emphasis on "some". But the store/chests situation sounds terrible and yes, I hated it in Oblivion as well. No incentive to try out random dungeons for loot when you are only going to find something according to your current level (or just vendor trash) and no going to the other side of the world to find rare stuff that isn't on sale locally. Bummer.

Salaadin said:
It's still got that Oblivion-ish feel where I can't find really good stuff until I'm high enough level not because I'm not capable of winning hard fights for it, but because I just have to wait for the level scaling to start providing the good items. Maybe there are good static uniques and difficult dungeons in the world, but I haven't found them yet.

erragal

TheExodu5 said:

Even though I don't use it for armor I've been leveling it at a decent pace by doing jewelry crafting as I find and steal silver/gold. It feels more naturally paced than trying to grind it up really fast and keeps me from leveling too fast as it's one of my higher skills but I'm not raising it all the time.

I still agree with you that it's poorly designed. For how amazing and engrossing the environments/exploration aspects are, there are many systems design flaws that need corrected.

webrunner

gravitybear said:
EXCEPT in the second or third tier there is a perk that "adds a 50% chance to find great treasure"

I totally want that one.

I wonder how that works, in the world. Does it make your character find a secret compartment for the chest, or is it a magical shrodinger power?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom