• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Could anyone with the PC version record the "level up"-track? The one that plays when the game tells you "Level Up", not when you enter your Skills menu to actually do it. I want to use it as a ringtone. :lol

I'm also thinking about just rolling a new character for the Dark Brotherhood, instead of carrying on with Sul. On the one hand, I love creating new characters, on the other, I trained Sul in the stabbity-sneaky arts of assassination already, and rerolling a similar character would be kinda lame.

So you tried the one enchantment type where the player made version is weaker than what you can find out in the world. Now try making a set of 4 pieces raising your sneak and pickpocketing by 45%, or 4 pieces with 25% destruction spell cost reduction and tell me it wasn't worth it.

Well, 100% destruction spells cost sounds interesting but my
Arch Mage Robe
gives me 15% all spells cost + 50 Magicka points + 100% Magicka Regeneration so I'm still not entirely convinced that it beats that. But I'll definitely give it a try and experiment, thanks for the heads-up. However I don't have that enchant yet, which is a bit discouraging this far in the game (level 42) but oh well.

Spat_triate

Is there any way to reset th bug where your followers wont follow you because they think that you already have a follower?

I told Lydia to wait. Then did th first mages college quest and is she won't follow me. Just keeps saying I already have a follower ...

Am I fucked?

If you told her to wait she is technically still following you. You need to find her again and tell her to go home (dismiss her)

lil smoke

Banned
5 times per level. Took a long time, but my Enchanting made it to 90 by around level 40. Then it took me another couple levels to grind my way to 100 (no trainer would teach me above 90).

But so far it seems like all that effort was entirely worthless. I can't figure out how to get high percentages on the enchanting effects I apply to my armor.
I've been wondering this as well. For now, I'm starting to get some pretty nice pre-enchanted weapons and gear, like 100% magic regen, and I'm like ... uhh why do I need to enchant again?

edit: speaking of which, can't wait for the next gen when we can be more 'sophisticated' and create armour "sets", organize our gear into sensible groups, etc. Sitting in the middle of a pile of all different sorts of enchanted items trying to figure out which combos make the most sense can take about an hour or 2 of game time right there LOL... not to mention when you want to switch up during a battle, it's like "xcuse me mr bandit 5 minutes, while I while I negotiate changing behind this mountain berry bush."

Arch Mage Robe
gives me 15% all spells cost + 50 Magicka points + 100% Magicka Regeneration so I'm still not entirely convinced that it beats that. But I'll definitely give it a try and experiment, thanks for the heads-up. However I don't have that enchant yet, which is a bit discouraging this far in the game (level 42) but oh well.

Go visit all the shops you've found so far, destruction magic cost reduction should be fairly easy to find. I'm lvl 50 right now and am still finding some enchantments. Just got paralyze today and that combined with 3 items that give 40% extra one-handed damage means i can level more or less anything within striking distance :)

TTG

5 times per level. Took a long time, but my Enchanting made it to 90 by around level 40. Then it took me another couple levels to grind my way to 100 (no trainer would teach me above 90).

But so far it seems like all that effort was entirely worthless. I can't figure out how to get high percentages on the enchanting effects I apply to my armor.

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure how the value of souls work in Skyrim. I know for a fact that each soul had a different potency in Morrowind. Is stuff just labeled grand/greater/lesser in Skyrim or do they get unique ratings? If it's the latter and it's like Morrowind than the solution is pretty simple. Kill the toughest guy in all of Skyrim, capture his soul with the Azura star... I'm guessing, maybe one of the dragon priests that pop out near the dragon rune/ruins? I've killed 2 of those assholes and it wasn't easy. Actually, I had to pick away at them with a bow because I've had no magic resistance to speak of until recently.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Hey lady, i think you got something on your face.

JVSCH.jpg

Go visit all the shops you've found so far, destruction magic cost reduction should be fairly easy to find.

Thanks, that did the trick.

Also, ever since I started using Dead Thrall every NPC is complaining about my scary magic. Thing is, they do it regardless of me not having any zombie following me. And if I look at my Active Effects under Magic, it says Dead Thrall. Is that some sort of bug?

Everyone in the game bitching about my magic is getting old fast.

Petrichor

Endgame question:

Can someone explain to me why it was possible to kill Alduin in sovngarde but not in the real world? All seemed a bit messy to me. I think the story would have been much better if the dragonborn had just pushed Alduin forward in time using the elder scroll. Was interesting enough though.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
The cooking of food in Skyrim is a nice touch, but it's totally unnecessary and superfluous in the game since Alchemy and Restoration already do a better job of healing (and your HPs regenerate automatically anyway) and that your cooking skill does not increase like the other skills. I find it absolutely hilarious you can go through the entire game and not eat a bite a food and not starve to death.

Also, ever since I started using Dead Thrall every NPC is complaining about my scary magic. Thing is, they do it regardless of me not having any zombie following me. And if I look at my Active Effects under Magic, it says Dead Thrall. Is that some sort of bug?

I ended up using the console to "dispelallspells" on myself. Problem fixed.

So I can't seem to find clarification on this but does using the console codes prevent steam achievements? Reason I ask is I want to get rid of my current spouce and get a new one. Why the hell didn't bethesda put in the option for divorce?

Grinchy

Banned
So I can't seem to find clarification on this but does using the console codes prevent steam achievements? Reason I ask is I want to get rid of my current spouce and get a new one. Why the hell didn't bethesda put in the option for divorce?

I'm now wondering this too. I had to use the console command when my Brelyna quest bugged on me and wouldn't move forward. I spent 20 hours of gameplay "sick" because of her. Then I married her.

voltron

If you told her to wait she is technically still following you. You need to find her again and tell her to go home (dismiss her)

No option for that unfortunately. I'm guessing something about the quest I did ehile she was waiting is causing the issue. Maybe that head Mage dude was technically following me while doing the initial mage quest (with the other apprentice mages).

They don't, unless it's only certain commands. I've used the console a couple times to correct bugs and I just got two new achievements tonight.

They don't, unless it's only certain commands. I've used the console a couple times to correct bugs and I just got two new achievements tonight.

Good to know. I had a feeling this was the case. I am thinking its probably God mode, give items and things like that. FOV change didn't lock but i wasn't sure about others. Thanks!

Ri'Orius

Arch Mage Robe

It's true that you probably won't be able to enchant something that's better than the
Archmage Robes
but you're comparing to one of the best items in the game, magic-wise.

Also, keep in mind that while your enchanted armor may not give discounts to all spell schools, A) you probably don't spam anything except Destruction (I mean, you can only summon a pet/cast a buff/heal yourself so often), and B) your enchanted armor will actually have an armor bonus, which is nice.

But yeah, compare the rings and gauntlets you can enchant to the rings and gauntlets you're wearing now, and it should be more favorable. And be sure to get the Double Enchantment perk, which is pretty huge. I'm still hunting for the Fortify Restoration enchant, so I can get 100% reduction on that in addition to Destruction. Maybe then Wards will finally be worth using...

gate777

Anybody else find that when you're looking for chests via treasure maps the chest don't exist? I'm at the exact place to find treasures I and IX and there's nothing there. Only one that has shown up was chest IV and that was prior to the 1.2 patch (ps3)

Endgame question:

Can someone explain to me why it was possible to kill Alduin in sovngarde but not in the real world? All seemed a bit messy to me. I think the story would have been much better if the dragonborn had just pushed Alduin forward in time using the elder scroll. Was interesting enough though.

alduin was really killed per se, remember you didn't absorb his soul

Jagxyz

Endgame question:

What I got out of it was that whenever Alduin was "defeated" he'd just go to Sovngarde and regain his strength by eating souls and whatnot. By killing him there, you take him out at the source.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Man, doing all this enchanting/smithing/alchemy game to get powerful gear is such a huge waste of time. I must have wasted like 1h30 running between the alchemy lab, the enchanting table and the blacksmith forge just for that. I couldnt even finish before i had to turn off the game so i can go to sleep. This better be worth it when im done tomorrow!

I gotta see these.

I've only seen two so far. Don't know if there's more.

One uses the left hand to hold the victim and then punching him/her in the face three times.

My favorite one punches with the left hand and then choke slams with the right.

EDIT: Would have been nice if there was a neck snap execution move from behind.

Okay, this is only for PS3 users. I have a quick question:

I have Skyrim. I have a Skyrim save on my system. I'm going to be leaving for my hometown for the next 3 weeks for Christmas. I'm staying with my brother. He has Skyrim and a PS3 as well.

So, is there any way to play my save on his machine? I know that it's possible to LOAD my save on another machine, but when I've done that in the past, it's never let me SAVED it (which defeats the purpose).

Is there anything I can do re: my PSN account or something to make this work? Cheers.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So, to minimize the possibility of glitches/bugs, am I wrong to think that it is better to just focus entirely on the quests from one guild/town first before attempting to do others?

Ri'Orius

Wow, I hadn't realized how big a pain the "dragons flying backwards" bug is. It's not just weird-looking, their buggy movement makes them crazy hard to hit. Only with frequent use of lightning magic and the Slow Time shout did I manage to reduce one's HP to zero...

..only to find they're too bugged out to even die properly.

Worst of all, this guy spawns near a quest NPC who doesn't want to talk when there are enemies nearby. Ick.

Branson

Ok so smithing. I just turned level 19 and was going to start working on smithing stuff since I heard it was very recommended to do so. I specialize in light armor so should I go left or right in the tree?

Socreges

Banned
This is definitely the most engrossing experience I've ever had with a videogame. It's incredible. I can't put it down.

Which is why I'm going to have to return it immediately. Or snap the disc in two. It's not good for me. I have no restraint or discipline when it comes to games like this. And this is the worst of any. I can feel my health deteriorating and it's only been two days!

GhaleonEB

This is definitely the most engrossing experience I've ever had with a videogame. It's incredible. I can't put it down.

Which is why I'm going to have to return it immediately. Or snap the disc in two. It's not good for me. I have no restraint or discipline when it comes to games like this. And this is the worst of any. I can feel my health deteriorating and it's only been two days!

The intro to Destructoid's Skyrim review puts it rather well:

Preparing for a new Elder Scrolls game is like preparing to die. One must ensure they get all their worldly affairs in order, speak with the people who mean everything to them, and have a final meal. After all, once that disc goes in, the user may as well have departed from our mortal world.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is a game that will murder you, for the time it steals from your life could rightfully be considered criminal. It is a game that will literally never end while simultaneously bringing you closer to your own end.

This is all before the dragons show up.​

Grassy

The cooking of food in Skyrim is a nice touch, but it's totally unnecessary and superfluous in the game since Alchemy and Restoration already do a better job of healing (and your HPs regenerate automatically anyway) and that your cooking skill does not increase like the other skills. I find it absolutely hilarious you can go through the entire game and not eat a bite a food and not starve to death.

I was thinking about this the other day, and while I'm not someone who likes playing games on the hardest difficulty I think I would actually enjoy a "hardcore" mod for Skyrim where you have to eat food everyday or your health won't regenerate or you lose stamina if you don't eat enough etc

It would make a purpose of having the food in the game anyway, as like you said, it's almost pointless as it is.

Hyunkel6

Haha. One of my friends did the same thing for Oblivion. Deleted everything from his hard drive and gave away the game. He knew he was going to spend far too much time on it.

gate777

Ok so smithing. I just turned level 19 and was going to start working on smithing stuff since I heard it was very recommended to do so. I specialize in light armor so should I go left or right in the tree?

Left for the armour, right for the weapons. Perk the entire tree if you can. It's worth it.

Jeff Chen

Banned
Man, doing all this enchanting/smithing/alchemy game to get powerful gear is such a huge waste of time. I must have wasted like 1h30 running between the alchemy lab, the enchanting table and the blacksmith forge just for that. I couldnt even finish before i had to turn off the game so i can go to sleep. This better be worth it when im done tomorrow!

worth it or not... your call:
6496306569_ee61856a2c.jpg

6496311209_fc621ee888.jpg

Paertan

"Unlock" seems to be ok as well XD Got frustrated in the beginning when I failed a pretty easy lockpick and had forgotten to take all my lockpicks with me, only had like one that I have just found. I still get achievements.

Aesius

I think Oblivion was a lot better than Skyrim in some ways.

+ Quests (in general, the MQ in Oblivion did suck)
+ Journal
+ Spell Crafting
+ Utility Spells (chameleon, open locks, etc)
+ City size (makes sense but still)
+ Guild believability (less oh hey be our master)
+ Skill variety (No Unarmed in Skyrim :( )
+ Less linear dungeons (I think)

I love Skyrim and love Oblivion and love Morrowind. But actually outside of visual/audio experience sometimes I think Oblivion was better than Skyrim. Probably nostalgia goggles.

If you have it on PC, just be patient. Mods will fix everything.

Aesius

The first 20-30 hours are pure sexual gaming magic. Pure heroin (with the ensuing addiction). Hours 30-50 are still excellent and addicting, but more like a nicotine addiction. Hours 50-70 are enjoyable, but you start to realize you're in The Matrix and the fantasy world begins to crumble. Hours 70 and on are merely a distraction as you plod around and mercilessly pillage and murder anything that stands in your path with little resistance or danger.

But seriously....the first two dozen or so hours in this game are unparalleled in terms of sheer immersion and brilliance.

An Ancient Dragon corpse keeps following me around. I killed it out in the wilderness but I didn't absorb the soul. I have like 9 souls saved up so I didn't care and moved along. I fast traveled to Whiterun and it was there. I fast traveled to Solitude and it was there.

Mush

Kind of lost here when it comes to magic and stuff, and what I should invest in. I'm playing a Stealth/Archer/Assassin class as a Wood Elf and don't have much on the magic side. I dabbled in a bit of Destruction at the start but I figured I'm not built for it. I guess what I really need is a good guide to Alchemy and Enchanting to get me started.

I'm level 22 with little done of the main quest (just got ma house in Whiterun), a few things for the Thieves Guild and about 10-15 dungeons.

TTG

Holy shit at level 3 Unrelenting Force, I'm ragdolling bears off cliffs coming down from high Rothguard. This is great, why would I ever use any other combat related shout?

Kind of lost here when it comes to magic and stuff, and what I should invest in. I'm playing a Stealth/Archer/Assassin class as a Wood Elf and don't have much on the magic side. I dabbled in a bit of Destruction at the start but I figured I'm not built for it. I guess what I really need is a good guide to Alchemy and Enchanting to get me started.

I'm level 22 with little done of the main quest (just got ma house in Whiterun), a few things for the Thieves Guild and about 10-15 dungeons.

Illusion. You'll find Invisibility to be immensely useful

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Holy shit at level 3 Unrelenting Force, I'm ragdolling bears off cliffs coming down from high Rothguard. This is great, why would I ever use any other combat related shout?

I am partial to Slow Time, Dragon Rend. Hardly used Unrelenting Force. Seemed so pointless to me, other than the lol factor.

TBH, for a game revolving around dragonborns, I find the shouts not as useful as I'd hoped, and pretty disappointing.

Mush

Illusion. You'll find Invisibility to be immensely useful
I thought so, but I only saw like only a few other useful spells (Muffle, Clairvoyance), unless the "X enemies won't attack for X time" are actually useful? I figured it'd be easier to use Alchemy to make infinite Invisibility potions.

Top Bottom