• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

bj00rn_

Banned
So I finished the Dark Brotherhood questline at Level 22.

Oddly I have no more desire to play the game now.

Part of me just wants to "retire" my character to the beautiful woods around Riften, and just hunt and live off the land.

I had the same feeling - It lasted me three days without playing the game, and now in the zone again.. :D

You're shit out of luck with the Thieves Guild armor thing unless your pick pocketing idea works. I was freaking out until I found two of the pieces of the armor still stashed away in my Whiterun home.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I won't blog spam but I at least want to share the photoshop jobs for the skyrim bachelors post I did last week. I am so engrossed in this world. All my free time at home is spent in Skyrim...or making retarded photoshops.

trhgTm.jpg
wQEAkm.jpg

dprOrm.jpg
XUbwwm.jpg

45k5tm.jpg

They're not as bad as Oblivion, but those character models are ugly as fuck.

Cat Party

Question about enchanting: (I'm a big skyrim noob btw)

Is it possible to de-enchant an item and put these enchantments on another item?

Yes, but you lose the original item completely. You don't necessarily get to make a new item with as powerful an enchantment though, so be careful. If you have a 50% fire resistance item or something, if you disenchant it and try to apply the enchantment to something else, it may only give you 10%. It depends on your enchantment skill and perks (as well as the soul gem you are using).

Barrett2

Early in the game, it seems my magical staffs I have use gem juice really fast, making them not really worth the trouble. Is there some way to make magical staffs last longer per gem used?

impirius

Early in the game, it seems my magical staffs I have use gem juice really fast, making them not really worth the trouble. Is there some way to make magical staffs last longer per gem used?

When you level your Destruction skill, a staff with Destruction magic on it will use less soul power. Same with the rest of the magic skills.

Jeff Chen

Banned

The very same staff will get more charges while you constantly improve your skills (destruction or other schools). So, put some perks in those magic schools and you should see the effects.

Am I missing something? I've got the perk that lets me make and improve Daedric weapons, but at the workbench my (found) Daedric bow doesn't show up. I have the option to make them, just not improve them.

Edit: Hold that I'm an idiot. Workbench = armour, grindstone = weapons.

cackhyena

I can't remember if you have to talk to Tonila before that quest or not. If you enter the standing stone does anything happen ? I am trying to recall but maybe she doesn't meet up with you until further into the dungeon.

I talked with her and other dude in the cellar and then was supposed to meet her at the standing stone. Other people have had this glitch and said there are ways to get her to do what she's supposed to but so far, nothing for me. She's not supposed to stay there. She is supposed to make her way tot he stone after we all part ways. The arrow is there for her to meet me, and that's the very next thing on my quest log, but no Karliah.

Roche

Thieves Guild stuff.

When I get back to her....she's back to asking about the fucking Guild armor upgrade again. You know, the armor I sold to her. So now I can't 1) complete her quest, 2) complete rebuilding the Thieves Guild, or 3) get the Achievement for doing so, because all she'll do is berate me for not having my Guild armor. Which is what she's been doing for about 100 of my 130 hours of play.

The only way I can think to un-break this is to grind lockpicking up to 100 and steal some off of one of the other Guild members. Naturally, it's at 21 right now, and I'm level 47.

Pending that, does anyone have any ideas how to un-break her? Mind-blowing that such a simple thing could break the entire quest line like this.

I don't think that pick pocketing thing will work, I'm pretty sure you can't steal guild members' armor.

I checked on the wiki for you and it says that:
For the above reasons do not under any circumstances sell your Thieves Guild Armor back to Tonilia or any other merchant as there will be no way at all to retrieve it. So far there seems to be no possibility of this issue being fixed on either console or PC.

Here's a link to the page (be wary there's spoilers for the thieves guild there)

Hootie

Alright guys so my semester ends on December 21st and I plan on doing one thing and one thing only: playing the shit out of Skyrim.

Are there any tips/hints I should know about before I begin the game for the first time?

GhaleonEB

I don't think that pick pocketing thing will work, I'm pretty sure you can't steal guild members' armor.

I checked on the wiki for you and it says that:

Here's a link to the page (be wary there's spoilers for the thieves guild there)

Thanks for the link.

And dammit. Looks like my next character will have to tear through the Thieves Guild as well.

Aside from the hilarious and non-consequential Louis Letrush (who took an interesting turn last night, more on that later), this is the only thing that's broken something significant (I broken two small Misc. tasks that can't clear now) in my entire game. Skyrim has been much more polished in that regard than my Oblivion or Fallout 3, but it's still frustrating as hell that something so simple can kill an entire quest line.

Double D

Alright guys so my semester ends on December 21st and I plan on doing one thing and one thing only: playing the shit out of Skyrim.

Are there any tips/hints I should know about before I begin the game for the first time?

Playing a sneaky archer is super fun so far. I started off being a spellsword, then switched out my magic for a shield. I think what got me down this path was just not being able to handle anything up close. Now I do what I can from a distance (or with daggers behind the back), then switch to my mace and shield when things get hairy.

Thanks for the link.

And dammit. Looks like my next character will have to tear through the Thieves Guild as well.

Aside from the hilarious and non-consequential Louis Letrush (who took an interesting turn last night, more on that later), this is the only thing that's broken something significant (I broken two small Misc. tasks that can't clear now) in my entire game. Skyrim has been much more polished in that regard than my Oblivion or Fallout 3, but it's still frustrating as hell that something so simple can kill an entire quest line.
Hopefully Bethesda knows about the problem and are working on fixing it in a future patch.
I'm in the same boat as you, this is the first huge bug I've run into. Totally sucks. I'll stay hopeful for a fix before starting a new character.

Hopefully Bethesda knows about the problem and are working on fixing it in a future patch.
I'm in the same boat as you, this is the first huge bug I've run into. Totally sucks. I'll stay hopeful for a fix before starting a new character.

Quest bugs like these are the most likely to be adressed in patches. I seem to recall them fixing the broken Oblivion Thieves Guild questline, too.

zethren

Banned
I once thought as you do. But now that I'm further into the game, I find I can go toe to toe with 'em without any problems. Ran into one over the weekend and freaked out for a moment, then started to systematically take him apart. The loot wasn't all that great afterwards either.

I've started to have more lock-ups now as well. After having the game freeze only once in the first 70 hours, I've now had it freeze multiple times in the past 5 or 6 hours. It froze twice yesterday in a single two hour play session. I should note however that I haven't applied the 1.2 patch and I'm waiting for the update this week before I do.

The only time I ever got/get frustrated with Draugr Deathlords is when they use the Disarm shout. I'm pretty sure I've actually lost a sword before after having one Disarm shout me. Was super frustrating.

zethren

Banned
I don't see how it's significant. I did it and nothing changed for me. Sometimes I hear "You're the one who did that. Good for you!" from a guard, but that's it. I was kinda pissed when I found it out and I'll join them on my next playthrough. That said, I had to kill her, because she pissed me off.

"Kill one or you won't leave."
"Well, fuck you, Astrid. *zap*"

If you go to General Tulius of the Imperial Legion he'll actually send you off to destroy the rest of the
Dark Brotherhood
if you chose to kill her.

Double D

Aye, you get 'Dah' at some point during the Main Quest.

Then you can blow fools off of a mountain.

I believe you have to retrieve the Horn of Jurgen Windcaller for the Greybeards to get the last word.

Makes sense. That's the active quest in my main quest storyline. Maybe once I get out of Labyrinthian I'll take care of that. Speaking of Labyrinthian, now that I'm here how much longer
do I have for the Mages College questline?

Esch

Banned
Thieves Guild stuff. Not going to spoiler.

So, Tonilia has been glitched for me from an early stage in the Thieves Guild quest line because I sold my Guild armor to her. At one point I'm told to talk to her and get it upgraded - but since I don't have it, she can't upgrade it, and she wouldn't ever talk about anything else, all the way through the quest line. Nothing.

Last night I had done 3/4 of the special quests and check in with her and huzzah! she is saying something different. She sends me on a little quest to deliver moon sugar to some traders to set up supply routes for the Guild. I do that, and knock off the final special quest to rebuild the Guild (in Markarth this time), and come back the the ceremony to become Guild Master.

I head to Tonilia to finish up her quest, but all she'll tell me is to go talk to Byrnoff. I do, we do our thingy, then he tells me to go back and talk to Tonilia.

When I get back to her....she's back to asking about the fucking Guild armor upgrade again. You know, the armor I sold to her. So now I can't 1) complete her quest, 2) complete rebuilding the Thieves Guild, or 3) get the Achievement for doing so, because all she'll do is berate me for not having my Guild armor. Which is what she's been doing for about 100 of my 130 hours of play.

The only way I can think to un-break this is to grind lockpicking up to 100 and steal some off of one of the other Guild members. Naturally, it's at 21 right now, and I'm level 47.

Pending that, does anyone have any ideas how to un-break her? Mind-blowing that such a simple thing could break the entire quest line like this.

Is there some on
Mercer Frey's
body?

Enco

Shrug. I found the DB quests to be the most fun in the game so far.

Dropping a stone gargoyle on a bride to be is not awesome?
There are a couple good ones, I admit. All the side contracts suck though. The wedding and
two emperor
ones are the best.

My review of Skyrim:
HjzUZ.png

I had a ton of fun with it, but left a bit disapointed. It is on the verge of genius and in some ways is genius. The environment is essentially perfect, and traversing it, particularly in the early stages of the game, makes you feel like you're on a grand adventure. Filling the environment with caves, camps, and wild animals is also great. I cannot think of any qualms with the world itself. As far as I know, it is without peer in this respect. Your ability to customize your charater and playstyle is also excellent. I played as a pure mage, relying on conjuration, destruction, restoration, and illusion to get me through the game. There are many, many ways to play the game successfully, and that is a lot of fun.

Unfortunately, the gameplay, quests, NPCs, and plasticity of the world all need a lot of work. My biggest complaint is with the plasticity of the world. Your choices mean next to nothing, which becomes more and more apparent as the game progresses until you arrive at the point where there is little motivation to run errands for other characters, kill bandits, or save the lives of others. Most of the time, your choices only effect what loot you will get. Decide to save an innocent man's life instead of eating him alive? You get gold instead of an artifiact. Murder an entire city? You will have to go to jail or pay off a bounty. After that, no one really cares. I started the game as a pragmatic mage wanting to become powerful yet not unnecessarily hurt anything along the way. that is, unless they tried to harm me, in which case I would gladly destroy them. but as it becomes more and more obvious that my decisions had zero effect on the world I was playing in, I stopped caring and stopped playing.

In the future, I would like Bethesda to somehow make a game whose world properly bends to the actions of the player. I do not know if such a thing is possible given the time and budgetary restrictions. If it isn't, I don't think I will bother playing another one of these games. I had a great time with Skyrim, but once is enough. The gameplay, puzzles, quests, etc. simply aren't compelling enough to keep me playing long after it has become apparent that my choices in the game have meant nothing.

cackhyena

My review of Skyrim:

In the future, I would like Bethesda to somehow make a game whose world properly bends to the actions of the player. I do not know if such a thing is possible given the time and budgetary restrictions. If it isn't, I don't think I will bother playing another one of these games. I had a great time with Skyrim, but once is enough. The gameplay, puzzles, quests, etc. simply aren't compelling enough to keep me playing long after it has become apparent that my choices in the game have meant nothing.

That's nice. You say that now, but you'll be in day one come the next ES. Because it will be prettier, more involved and the new bullet points will be just enough. Not saying I disagree with you on any of your points...well, cept that one. You'll be back. They always come back.

zethren

Banned
Anybody else having freezing issues when using an excessive amount of destruction magic? My game starts to chug occasionally when using it, and every so often will actually full on freeze.

Is this a common thing?

so
Odahviin
dropped me off at the
entrance to sovngaarde
, but I don't think im strong enough to get through it. Is there anyway to get out of there???

Do you not know how fucking spoiler tags work? Jesus christ. Think before you post shit like this, tons of people have barely even touched the main quest.

Stet

Banned
WTF you could do that? I just snuck up behind her, slit her throat, downed an invisibility potion, and skipped town before anyone realized what was going on.

I did that too, and then the idiot assassin they sent to "keep the heat off my back" followed me around until they discovered me.

zethren

Banned
I did that too, and then the idiot assassin they sent to "keep the heat off my back" followed me around until they discovered me.

I don't think I even ever saw the backup assassin. Just got in, got out.

Didn't know you could drop a gargoyle on her though, that's awesome.

GhaleonEB

Quoting myself there, but is it worth it to play Oblivion after Skyrim?Obviously Oblivion looks like crap compared to Skyrim but are the quests/story etc... worth it?

The only aspect of Oblivion that makes it worth experiencing over Skyrim are some of the quest lines, and the Dark Brotherhood was the best of them all. Personally, the Dark Brotherhood in Oblivion would be worth dropping $20 or so on, as I got more playtime/enjoyment out of that alone than from many stand alone games. Thieves Guild is pretty great, as well.

If nothing else it would help you appreciate what an upgrade Skyrim was in other respects. It's a steep improvement nearly across the board otherwise.

The DB and Thieves Guilds in Skyrim are a shadow of what they were in Oblivion.

If you go to General Tulius of the Imperial Legion he'll actually send you off to destroy the rest of the
Dark Brotherhood
if you chose to kill her.

That never happened to me. I went to him, he congratulated me for doing the Empire a great service and that's all. He just repeated the same line after that and my quest was done. I know there's another sanctum near Dawnstar, but I can't enter it without the right phrase. Wouldn't mind to kill the rest, because the first lair was a joke.

Quoting myself there, but is it worth it to play Oblivion after Skyrim?Obviously Oblivion looks like crap compared to Skyrim but are the quests/story etc... worth it?

Eh, I don't know. It's okay. I tried playing Oblivion a couple of years back on the 360 -- just know that if you do, it's insanely buggy. I stopped playing because one of the NPCs disappeared on one of my Thieves Guild quests which I couldn't finish.

I feel like going back to Oblivion after playing Skyrim would be a lesson in tremendous patience.

zethren

Banned
That never happened to me. I went to him, he congratulated me for doing the Empire a great service and that's all. He just repeated the same line after that and my quest was done. I know there's another sanctum near Dawnstar, but I can't enter it without the right phrase. Wouldn't mind to kill the rest, because the first lair was a joke.

There isn't really anybody in the Dawnstar sanctuary. You'll find out what it's all about when you do the DB yourself. ;)

Esch

Banned
Dunno, it was a couple weeks ago that I did that part, and I don't think you can get back into that area. I'll try, though. Thanks for the suggestion.
Dont' bother. I just watched a video of someone looting the body, all dude has is a belted tunic.

Top Bottom