• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Anteater

Man so it takes like more than half a month just to fix some shit they broke themselves, we're probably looking at some kind of monthly or yearly schedule to fix some of their quest bugs!

these. fucking. assholes! christianbalerage.jpg

edit: god damn it game just froze :lol

GhaleonEB

Where the heck is our patch, Microsoft.

Seriously. I know Bethesda listed it as the "rare, backward flying dragon" but a good 3/4 or more of the random dragons in my game are glitched. Sorta takes the fear factor out of it.

My six year old wanted to see dragons in the game - beyond the hectic opening sequence - shortly after the first patch came out. I spotted one far in the distance....snuck up close...tension mounted...it took off and flew backward into the horizon.

She was not impressed.

Neither was I.
As much as I want a new patch, do you really want them to rush out another patch?

Lameting cert time, not development time. The patch was submitted to cert over a week ago, IIRC.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Seriously. I know Bethesda listed it as the "rare, backward flying dragon" but a good 3/4 or more of the random dragons in my game are glitched. Sorta takes the fear factor out of it.

My six year old wanted to see dragons in the game - beyond the hectic opening sequence - shortly after the first patch came out. I spotted one far in the distance....snuck up close...tension mounted...it took off and flew backward into the horizon.

She was not impressed.

Neither was I.

It might be rare for some people, including the game Bethesda is doing their tests on. I've only seen 1 or 2 dragons flying backward before Steam patched my game.

Speaking of the patch, is the PC version the only one who got it or what?

GhaleonEB

That's my point. Do you want them to rush through a certification process? The cert process is to make sure it's not a buggy patch.

I'm just annoyed it was broken in the first place, and therefore grouchy about it. I waited forever to get dragons out into my game world, and within a day or two of doing so, they get broken.

(IIRC, the cert proces doesn't look for that sort of thing. See: the first patch.)

Anteater

What's the best house to buy with the quickest access to smithing/enchanting/merchants etc? I'm still in whiterun because of how close everything is.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
What's the best house to buy with the quickest access to smithing/enchanting/merchants etc? I'm still in whiterun because of how close everything is.

I think Riften is the best, you got a house with alchemy lab and enchanting table, an alchemy shop right next to it, and the blacksmith isn't too far away either.

Whiterun sucks since its house do not have an enchanting table and the closest one is in Dragonhold, and Solitude's house is too far from the shops.

Haven't bothered looking at the Markath one much.

Just done about two and a half hours.

Overall I'm very impressed. Combat feels shit compared to Dark Souls and there's a lot of UI problems, but other than that, I can see myself playing it for an ungodly amount of time like I did Oblivion.

cdyhybrid

Oh my goooooooood - finally got all the parts for my new computer and spent all night putting it together. DLing Skyrim now...my body is ready.

Anteater

I think Riften is the best, you got a house with alchemy lab and enchanting table, an alchemy shop right next to it, and the blacksmith isn't too far away either.

Whiterun sucks since its house do not have an enchanting table and the closest one is in Dragonhold, and Solitude's house is too far from the shops.

Haven't bothered looking at the Markath one much.

Thanks I'll look into that, haven't really explored Riften much because of all the thieves :lol

Davedough

My shouts dont do anything :(, how do you level them up?

You have to find the other words associated with the 3 levels of the shouts. Often times if you come across a dungeon that has an iron door with an impression of a dragon head on it, you can be assured that there is a shout wall at the end of it to learn a new word. Once you learn the new word, you need a dragon soul to unlock it.

Davedough

Thanks I'll look into that, haven't really explored Riften much because of all the thieves :lol

I like the house in Markarth just because its only 8k and its a very awesome looking house, but its not close to anything and you can get lost in Markarth pretty easily if you're not familiar with all the stairs.

As far as closeness and amenities, he's right, Riften wins.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Randomly saw a Fire and Ice mage battling it out in the middle of the night. Really cool to see all the fire balls flying around. Killed them both from a perch.

Dorrin

I started my third character last night. I now have an almost pure mage(lvl 9), thief/assassin(lvl10) and a 2H weilding Orc(lvl 4). I'm playing the mage on adept and the other two on expert. I still cant' decide who to go through the game with! I almost always play a pure mage but I was hearing bad things about them and decided to try out some other builds. The thief is cool but I find myself spending a lot of time pickpocketing etc, maybe too much time. The 2H orc seems very strong, particularly on expert which my thief had some issues with, just wonder if swinging will get old.

Any advice on which I should go with melee or mage from those of you who have done both?

Morokh

I think Oblivion was a lot better than Skyrim in some ways.

+ Quests (in general, the MQ in Oblivion did suck)
+ Journal
+ Spell Crafting
+ Utility Spells (chameleon, open locks, etc)
+ City size (makes sense but still)
+ Guild believability (less oh hey be our master)
+ Skill variety (No Unarmed in Skyrim :( )
+ Less linear dungeons (I think)

I love Skyrim and love Oblivion and love Morrowind. But actually outside of visual/audio experience sometimes I think Oblivion was better than Skyrim. Probably nostalgia goggles.

Quality of the main quests lines can be discussed, but Skyrim quests definitely have a more epic feel to them than any quest in Oblivion. For instance the simple discovery of the artifact in the mages-guild quest was a more satisfying moment for me than the supposedly epic battle for Bruma in Oblivion .....

Skill variety is easily compensated with perks (even if some perk tree have some stupid things in it)

Spell crafting / Utility Spells allows for less character customization, so in a sense I would agree with you, but you still have a tool for everything while in oblivion you had several spells that just did the same thing, or that were simply never/rarely used.

City size ? really ? xD

Dungeons share the same lack of diversity in terms of the creatures and people you find in them but their layout is definitely way better, and there really are some true gems in Skyrim.

Overall even with sharing some 'flaws' with Oblivion and having some of it's own, Skyrim is definitely a way more enjoyable game than Oblivion

Anteater

I like the house in Markarth just because its only 8k and its a very awesome looking house, but its not close to anything and you can get lost in Markarth pretty easily if you're not familiar with all the stairs.

As far as closeness and amenities, he's right, Riften wins.

Yea didn't really hang out at Markarth much because of the stairs and getting lost lol

Esch

Banned
This guy, no matter the player you pick, is always an asshole. An asshole.

468px-12-10-2011_06.jpg

Every time i fight him it always takes some serious ninja stealth shit to give him the business.

Skyrim's dungeons SMASH oblivions by the way. I know they're more linear, but at least i can tell them apart. I can't recall more than 3 oblivion dungeons. And i'd say the Skyrim quests are by and large better. More interconnected. More random stuff like in morrowind. a few of the guilds might be better like the Fighters guild and the dark brotherhood, but id say even those are split.

Dries

So I get the perk where time slows down whenever an enemy power attacks.

Tell me GAF, is this perk of any use? I don't really know what action to perform once time slows down.

Finally found the third Fire Breath shout last night, but before I could try it out, the game froze and I decided that was a sign that it was time to go to bed. Hopefully tonight I'll get to lay waste to something/someone with it, but considering I've just started the Thieves Guild quest line, I don't think I'll be doing a lot of killing.

Finally found the third Fire Breath shout last night, but before I could try it out, the game froze and I decided that was a sign that it was time to go to bed. Hopefully tonight I'll get to lay waste to something/someone with it, but considering I've just started the Thieves Guild quest line, I don't think I'll be doing a lot of killing.

You can only get that one if you do the Companions questline, right?

Crash to desktop says ehhhh
Was more talkin' about the patch, CTD's happened before that one, didn't they?

conman

Skyrim's dungeons SMASH oblivions by the way. I know they're more linear, but at least i can tell them apart. I can't recall more than 3 oblivion dungeons. And i'd say the Skyrim quests are by and large better. More interconnected. More random stuff like in morrowind. a few of the guilds might be better like the Fighters guild and the dark brotherhood, but id say even those are split.
The thing that was good about some of the Oblivion dungeons were the traps. Felt a bit more Indiana Jones-ish. But otherwise, you're totally right. Morrowind dungeons had more interesting (and large) layouts than either Skyrim or Oblivion, though.

You're definitely right about the quests being more interwoven in Skyrim. A big reason for that was that the political backdrop to Oblivion was largely static. Not nearly as dynamic and "alive" as in either Morrowind or Skyrim.

Many quests in Skyrim are total throwaways, but others are as epic as the best missions in the GTA games.

I had already gained that one. This one was in a dungeon that I hadn't explored yet.

Ah, okay.

Still think that's bullshit, Beth should've put them all where you can discover them on your own. Same with the Stones of Barenziah, one of them only becomes accesible if you do become fucking Arch Mage.

Audioboxer

Is there a new PS3 patch out yet to fix the issues of 2.01? (backwards flying dragons, etc).

Not played in about a week and was holding off for this patch.

Esch

Banned
You can only get that one if you do the Companions questline, right?

Was more talkin' about the patch, CTD's happened before that one, didn't they?

yes but i feel like im getting them a little more frequently. i think it may be time for me to give Skyrim 4gb a try.

Barrett2

Where is a good place to stock up on lockpicks?

And after completing the Diplomatic Immunity quest, where the Hell do I get my stuff back?

PNut

Banned
Random question.....

Is there a way to equip Lydia with different Armor? I've tried making her pick it up but she will not equip it. XBOX version.

Davedough

Random question.....

Is there a way to equip Lydia with different Armor? I've tried making her pick it up but she will not equip it. XBOX version.

Put it in her inventory, then strip her naked and take the items she was wearing into your inventory. She'll have no choice but to equip what you gave her.

Having to go to the menu to switch weapons (from a sword/axe to bow, for example) feels so fucking slow.

The d-pad isn't used at all (yet, dunno if it will be). Such wasted opportunity to make combat more seamless if it's never used.

I just found a trench in the Sea of Ghosts near Winter Hold, filled with shipwrecks. Really deep down, too. Amazing.

Having to go to the menu to switch weapons (from a sword/axe to bow, for example) feels so fucking slow.

The d-pad isn't used at all (yet, dunno if it will be). Such wasted opportunity to make combat more seamless if it's never used.
You can use the D-pad Left and Right as hotkeys. Just hold 'em down while highlighting the item you want to hotkey in the favorites menu.

Quality of the main quests lines can be discussed, but Skyrim quests definitely have a more epic feel to them than any quest in Oblivion. For instance the simple discovery of the artifact in the mages-guild quest was a more satisfying moment for me than the supposedly epic battle for Bruma in Oblivion .....

Skill variety is easily compensated with perks (even if some perk tree have some stupid things in it)

Spell crafting / Utility Spells allows for less character customization, so in a sense I would agree with you, but you still have a tool for everything while in oblivion you had several spells that just did the same thing, or that were simply never/rarely used.

City size ? really ?

Dungeons share the same lack of diversity in terms of the creatures and people you find in them but their layout is definitely way better, and there really are some true gems in Skyrim.

Overall even with sharing some 'flaws' with Oblivion and having some of it's own, Skyrim is definitely a way more enjoyable game than Oblivion

Eh, yes, city size. Not that hard to understand. Solitude is a cute village, but doesn't fly as "capital of Skyrim". There's a real lack of scale when it comes to the cities. I'm happy with the size of the country, but the cities are definitely too small.

Oh, and hey, Bethesda. Please open up the borders to Cyrodiil and Morrowind. Thanks.

You can use the D-pad Left and Right as hotkeys. Just hold 'em down while highlighting the item you want to hotkey in the favorites menu.

Ah, nice! Thanks.

I really don't like the UI of the menus. Even using a controller it's pretty bad, I can't imagine if I was using KB/M. I bet that's even worse.

Being able to assign two items to d-pad is something I'm glad I've learned early on, though!

Davedough

You've answered your own complaint. The D-pad is used.

Favorite something, press UP on the D-pad to access your favorites. When you see the Bow press and hold right, when you see your Axe, press and hold left... or vice versa. You'll see a 1 and 2 appear respectively. Now, in game world, just press the respective direction and you've got your equipment changes.

Edit: Apparently beaten.

ShinNL

So I get the perk where time slows down whenever an enemy power attacks.

Tell me GAF, is this perk of any use? I don't really know what action to perform once time slows down.
Shield bash. Cancels the power attack, makes you feel badass.

GhaleonEB

Ahahaha...

So much for statistics, eh?

If you are unemployed, the unemployment rate is 100%. :p

I've killed two dragons in a week. All the others have been glitched.

You are going to be surprised. For a thieves quest line, there's a whole lotta direct dungeon combat.

Davedough

Eh, yes, city size. Not that hard to understand. Solitude is a cute village, but doesn't fly as "capital of Skyrim". There's a real lack of scale when it comes to the cities. I'm happy with the size of the country, but the cities are definitely too small.

Oh, and hey, Bethesda. Please open up the borders to Cyrodiil and Morrowind. Thanks.

I have to agree with this. There's an epic civil war going on between two factions and each stronghold feels not much more than a farm village. Hardly war worthy.

Hyunkel6

This guy, no matter the player you pick, is always an asshole. An asshole.

468px-12-10-2011_06.jpg

Every time i fight him it always takes some serious ninja stealth shit to give him the business.
That guy. I believe the only time I used potions in the game was against him. And he doesn't even have armor!

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
To be fair, at no point yet has the game taught me that!
There's a lot of good info in the HELP list under the menu.

Also, technically there are 3 hotkeys. If you press the hotkey direction of your currently equipped item it will switch to the last item you equipped that isn't hot keyed. I usually keep it a torch.

Orlandu84

I think Oblivion was a lot better than Skyrim in some ways.

+ Quests (in general, the MQ in Oblivion did suck)
+ Journal
+ Spell Crafting
+ Utility Spells (chameleon, open locks, etc)
+ City size (makes sense but still)
+ Guild believability (less oh hey be our master)
+ Skill variety (No Unarmed in Skyrim :( )
+ Less linear dungeons (I think)

I love Skyrim and love Oblivion and love Morrowind. But actually outside of visual/audio experience sometimes I think Oblivion was better than Skyrim. Probably nostalgia goggles.

I do miss the lack of some of the utility spells (chameleon and open lock being on the top of my list), but I enjoy casting spells more in Skyrim. I think that I like the experience more may be that the spells simply look better visually to me. What can I say, I'm not a mage, but I do like throwing the ocasional fireball:p

One thing that I really like about Skyrim over Oblivion is the city layout. The cities are smaller, but their atmosphere is much better. For me that superior atmosphere is also achieved in Skyrim's dungeons. I remember some really confusing and fun dungeons in Oblivion, but I could not tell you where they were at. In Skyrim I remember all these linear dungeons because they are fun to play and look different enough that they are unique. Skyrim's legacy could very well be that it achieved a coherent, varied, and engaging atmosphere in an open world game design. That is no small achievement in my opinion.

Morokh

I have to agree with this. There's an epic civil war going on between two factions and each stronghold feels not much more than a farm village. Hardly war worthy.

Well if you're talking scale, maybe ... (and I could argue that even the Imperial city was not that big for being the heart of the empire ) but all main cities are so different looking and definitely so well done that it did not bother me any second, I'll even take a city like Markarth anytime for all the main cities in Oblivion.

GhaleonEB

But at the same time, this game pull off battles much better than Oblivion did. The final battle in Oblivion was a hilarious mess.

Last night I did a quest for the civil war story line, involving the taking of a fort (one of the Achievements). And it was an awesome fight. We're storming the front gates, archers are lined up on the fort walls firing like crazy, the barricades are crashing down. I line up a shot and go into my slow-mo zoom and tag one of the guys on the right side wall. It lands as a paralysis shot, so he topples down, on fire, in slow motion and bounces off the walls below, and to the ground. While this is going on I'm dodging incoming arrows and lining up shots on the next guy....it just felt so great.

The fight lasts about ten minutes, before we've mopped up the last of the Imperials. The battle for Whiterun played out in similar grand fashion.

Really, I prefer the smaller cities and towns. They fit in with Skyrim's landscape better and make sense for this province, and makes the landscape feel more dense with content and population than a couple big cities would. And I really enjoy having so few of them locked behind loading screens. I hated having Imperial City broken up into seven different loading zoned districts. There was nothing epic about that, it was just sprawl and too much waiting. With Skyrim the stuff I want to do is always relatively close by.

I think the towns like Whiterun and Solitude are the sweet spot for town sizes.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just made my way to Riften. Gonna do some thieves guild stuff.
..so far its kind of annoying. I'm hoping it really picks up. But I'm having a little difficulty with the three shakedowns you have to do.

Esch

Banned
Civil War quests so far seem lacking in variety. Take this fortress. take this town. Where are the unique quests at? I dont even feel like finishing it

Top Bottom