• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Barrett2

It is so hard for me to stop playing this game. Had a marathon 8hr session today.

Having Lydia is invaluable. I would be toast in so many of those dungeons without her.

Ri'Orius

Alright guys, I just got the Investor perk, and I'm trying to invest in the mages in the college, but I don't see an option to. Am I missing something? Or do they not count as "shopkeepers"?

Am I the only one who doesn't take someone with them on their adventures? Poor Lydia sits in my home in Whiterun, keeping the place (semi) tidy, meanwhile I drop in from time to time to dump stuff in a chest, giver her a nod of hello, and then head back out. The only time I've used a companion at all is when the quest specifically assigns one to you.

You have to find the other words associated with the 3 levels of the shouts. Often times if you come across a dungeon that has an iron door with an impression of a dragon head on it, you can be assured that there is a shout wall at the end of it to learn a new word. Once you learn the new word, you need a dragon soul to unlock it.

LOL. I have way too many dragon souls right now. A dragon pops up like every hour now as soon as I enter a town. They are more of a nuisance now.

GhaleonEB

Am I the only one who doesn't take someone with them on their adventures? Poor Lydia sits in my home in Whiterun, keeping the place (semi) tidy, meanwhile I drop in from time to time to dump stuff in a chest, giver her a nod of hello, and then head back out. The only time I've used a companion at all is when the quest specifically assigns one to you.

I do the same, partly because I play a stealth character. I don't need anyone else stomping on pressure plates for me. That dude in my house at Markarth has recently gone...missing....for being annoying while I was on a loot drop.

Last night I did a quest for the civil war (ambushing a wagon on the road), and I had to meet up with some soldiers for the attack. I meet them and the guy outlines his plan - phased attack, distractions, etc - and then I get the option to tell them to chill out and let me just go kill everyone. I told them to sit tight, shot everyone, and reported back.

I work alone.

I read this differently at first.

I do the same, partly because I play a stealth character. I don't need anyone else stomping on pressure plates for me. That dude in my house at Markarth has recently gone...missing....for being annoying while I was on a loot drop.

Last night I did a quest for the civil war (ambushing a wagon on the road), and I had to meet up with some soldiers for the attack. I meet them and the guy outlines his plan - phased attack, distractions, etc - and then I get the option to tell them to chill out and let me just go kill everyone. I told them to sit tight, shot everyone, and reported back.

I work alone.

Amen brother. Stay out of my way, and let me handle it. I'm getting to be a coldly efficient killing machine, and anyone else will just get in the way.

I read this differently at first.

Oh lord. I don't even want to think about that.

But at the same time, this game pull off battles much better than Oblivion did. The final battle in Oblivion was a hilarious mess.

Last night I did a quest for the civil war story line, involving the taking of a fort (one of the Achievements). And it was an awesome fight. We're storming the front gates, archers are lined up on the fort walls firing like crazy, the barricades are crashing down. I line up a shot and go into my slow-mo zoom and tag one of the guys on the right side wall. It lands as a paralysis shot, so he topples down, on fire, in slow motion and bounces off the walls below, and to the ground. While this is going on I'm dodging incoming arrows and lining up shots on the next guy....it just felt so great.

The fight lasts about ten minutes, before we've mopped up the last of the Imperials. The battle for Whiterun played out in similar grand fashion.

Really, I prefer the smaller cities and towns. They fit in with Skyrim's landscape better and make sense for this province, and makes the landscape feel more dense with content and population than a couple big cities would. And I really enjoy having so few of them locked behind loading screens. I hated having Imperial City broken up into seven different loading zoned districts. There was nothing epic about that, it was just sprawl and too much waiting. With Skyrim the stuff I want to do is always relatively close by.

I think the towns like Whiterun and Solitude are the sweet spot for town sizes.

This game would be immensely better without load screens. There's nothing worse than accidentally opening the door to exit a building and then realizing you just left something behind that you need to get before leaving. Load...load...load...
LLShC.gif

Having a companion is really a hit or miss and I'm wondering if it's more of a nuisance than not. Most times my companion is bent over on the ground barely alive. She steps on pressure plates and constantly alerts enemies by just running into the fray. Also, because your companion is not immune to your attacks (particularly magic), one firebolt to the midst of the ruckus will do her in. Then it's
LLShC.gif
"Load last saved game". Maybe I'll give Lydia a try.

Davedough

Having a companion is really a hit or miss and I'm wondering if it's more of a nuisance than not. Most times my companion is bent over on the ground barely alive. She steps on pressure plates and constantly alerts enemies by just running into the fray. Also, because your companion is not immune to your attacks (particularly magic), one firebolt to the midst of the ruckus will do her in. Then it's
LLShC.gif

I've had really good luck with Mercurius (or however you spell his name) from Riften. I crafted him a set of enchanted Ebony armor and he's quiet as a mouse, hangs back nicely and is powerful enough to be a real ally in battle. He's my American Express. I dont leave home without him.

ShinNL

LLShC.gif
If that's your complaint, shouldn't you switch to a magic companion instead of Lydia? They would keep their distance, help shooting stuff and would try to dodge instead of engage. Just remember not to give them a melee weapon.

Tobor

No, that's how I play as well. Companions are weak sauce.

Unrelated, WHERE IS MY 360 PATCH!!!!!!!

3phemeral

If that's your complaint, shouldn't you switch to a magic companion instead of Lydia? They would keep their distance, help shooting stuff and would try to dodge instead of engage. Just remember not to give them a melee weapon.

Precisely this. I used to have the same complaint until I got a mage for a companion and everything is perfect. It seems they will switch to whatever more powerful weapon they have, but he won't switch until his magic depletes.

Funny thing, though, is that even with more powerful weapons equipped, I often see him fist fighting once he runs out of Magic.
LLShC.gif
KuGsj.gif

Sul joined the Dark Brotherhood. There's a fucking Word Wall in the middle of the sanctuary.

Seriously Bethesda, that's just messed up. The goddamn Dovahkiin shouldn't join the Dark Brotherhood if he doesn't fucking want to.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Sul joined the Dark Brotherhood. There's a fucking Word Wall in the middle of the sanctuary.

Seriously Bethesda, that's just messed up. The goddamn Dovahkiin shouldn't join the Dark Brotherhood if he doesn't fucking want to.

You could have just
killed Astrid when she kidnapped you to try and recruit you. You'd be approached by an Imperial who would then put you up to the mission of killing the rest of the DB in Skyrim, which would have taken you to their sanctuary anyway.

Has anyone else cheaped out and used the
Oghma Infinium
glitch? Normally I wouldn't have, but since my PS3 version is a ticking time bomb, I just want to get everything out of the way and try to platinum it as soon as I can.

You could have just
killed Astrid when she kidnapped you to try and recruit you. You'd be approached by an Imperial who would then put you up to the mission of killing the rest of the DB in Skyrim, which would have taken you to their sanctuary anyway.

Has anyone else cheaped out and used the
Oghma Infinium
glitch? Normally I wouldn't have, but since my PS3 version is a ticking time bomb, I just want to get everything out of the way and try to platinum it as soon as I can.
I know, but Sul isn't the Dovahkiin. :lol It's annoying for me because now I have to go out of my way to avoid that side of the sanctuary every time I'm there. Only Wulf can tango with dragons.

I literally have a magic menu without any shouts. Heck, the 'Shouts'-section isn't even there.

Kaper

It is so hard for me to stop playing this game. Had a marathon 8hr session today.

Having Lydia is invaluable. I would be toast in so many of those dungeons without her.

Same here man. I'm getting a lot more out of Skyrim than Oblivion, thanks to getting it on PC this time. Lydia is basically my pack mule because ore and leather weighs a lot, so she carries it for me so I can level smithing.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I have to agree with this. There's an epic civil war going on between two factions and each stronghold feels not much more than a farm village. Hardly war worthy.

I don't mind it so much, the scale in Bethesda games is so compressed that it doesn't feel out of place. This is a world where cities are barely more than 30 mins brisk walk apart, it would be weird if they were massive. And I feel it fits the medieval setting more, the settlements in those times were much smaller.

GhaleonEB

I know, but Sul isn't the Dovahkiin. :lol It's annoying for me because now I have to go out of my way to avoid that side of the sanctuary every time I'm there. Only Wulf can tango with dragons.

I literally have a magic menu without any shouts. Heck, the 'Shouts'-section isn't even there.

I'd gathered up a dozen Words of Power before I even introduced dragons into the world. A way around your dilemma might be to just not bring dragons in (I'm assuming you haven't). Anyone can see the word, but since you can't absorb souls...

Though I get what you're saying.

Is the Achievement for Words of Power & dragon soul collection tied to a single play through, or across all characters? My current archer isn't going to advance the main quest any further.

Davedough

I don't mind it so much, the scale in Bethesda games is so compressed that it doesn't feel out of place. This is a world where cities are barely more than 30 mins brisk walk apart, it would be weird if they were massive. And I feel it fits the medieval setting more, the settlements in those times were much smaller.

I get that and I see exactly what you're saying, but they could have handled the scale of the civil war a bit better. Instead of dividing by its people and have the war contained solely within Skyrim, why not have an overtone of a war between Skyrim and one of the other kingdoms, such as Cyrodiil. The two factions in Skyrim could be competing for who will take control of Skyrim now that the King is dead and who will lead Skyrim better to victory, instead of who will rule it.

I dont know, I'm not hating on the game at all. I love the game. Everything else in my library, including games I haven't even opened yet but bought recently are collecting dust because I cant get enough Skyrim. If anything, this gripe, if you will, is minor and nitpicky at best.

Ragus

Banned
10 hours in (360). I love it so far, but today something terrible happened.

I walked out of the dungeon, and there I saw two dragons flying over my head. I was like "OH YEAH LETS DO THIS"...

...Dragon no.1 landed near two giants and was raped by them. The other one did some moonwalk in the air and of course I wasn't able to defeat it.

Patch fucking where?

Ricker

Okay,I guess I'm missing something by now that I should be able to do at my level(26) and about 30 hours in...how/where do I get the extra voices for my Shouts?...the only one I have is the one that was given to me initially with the greybeards...I have 4 dragon things in bank and about 8 shouts,only 1 has the 3 voices?

Davedough

Okay,I guess I'm missing something by now that I should be able to do at my level(26) and about 30 hours in...how/where do I get the extra voices for my Shouts?...the only one I have is the one that was given to me initially with the greybeards...I have 4 dragon things in bank and about 8 shouts,only 1 has the 3 voices?

When you're walking around on the map and come across a dungeon. Some of the icons look like a stretched letter M... basically three lines converging in the top-center. These are usually indicative of shrines or ruins. If you approach one and it has an iron door with a dragon face on it, you can pretty much guarantee there is a shout wall at the end.

Also, if you're walking around the Northern country and you happen to see an icon on your compass that looks like a dragon head, go to it, kill said dragon and there will be a shout wall there as well.

Socreges

Banned
Is it just me or does the night music in Whiterun (and maybe other towns as well - I'm not sure if it's the same) sound very similar to this (beautiful) track from Assassin's Creed II?

I wish I could find a way to play less. Even a few hours a day would be an improvement (I quit my job a week ago, haven't moved on to another yet). But right now I'm very close to just returning it, as if I'm voluntarily checking myself into rehab. I brought it with me when I went out earlier, but decided to give it another chance. If it steals one more day from me, though, it's going back.

Going to start a Thief/Archer character next, is there a preferred race for being a thief?

Also thinking of making my Thief a vampire.

Wood Elf, if you want that initial archery bonus. Khajiit, if you want an initial bonus in sneak. Both choices pale in comparison to your choice to become a vampire, however. Just made a vampire assassin, close-up dagger kills only. If you know how to work the build, you become one with the shadows. You may never be seen again!

so ealier i've posted questions about lyida if she can die or not. seems like she can from the replies, because i haven't seen lydia for weeks in the game as we encountered bunch of bandits and haven't seen her ever again. no bodies, no nothing. so i figured she dead from your replies that indeed, companions can die. but last night i went to her room just out of curiosity as saw her bed ans "owned". so if she's dead, wouldn't the bed changed from "owned" to just bed? so i'm figuring shes out somewhere stuck between rocks or roaming around.

so ealier i've posted questions about lyida if she can die or not. seems like she can from the replies, because i haven't seen lydia for weeks in the game as we encountered bunch of bandits and haven't seen her ever again. no bodies, no nothing. so i figured she dead from your replies that indeed, companions can die. but last night i went to her room just out of curiosity as saw her bed ans "owned". so if she's dead, wouldn't the bed changed from "owned" to just bed? so i'm figuring shes out somewhere stuck between rocks or roaming around.

Nope, her infernal corpse will own her bed forever. Your bed. In your house. Is owned by a dead woman.

Is it just me or does the night music in Whiterun (and maybe other towns as well - I'm not sure if it's the same) sound very similar to this (beautiful) track from Assassin's Creed II?

I wish I could find a way to play less. Even a few hours a day would be an improvement (I quit my job a week ago, haven't moved on to another yet). But right now I'm very close to just returning it, as if I'm voluntarily checking myself into rehab. I brought it with me when I went out earlier, but decided to give it another chance. If it steals one more day from me, though, it's going back.
The OST really reminds me of Assassin's Creed sometimes. Glad to see I'm not the only one who noticed it.

TTG

LLShC.gif

Having spent all my time running around with Lidya, here's how it breaks down for me:

+It's nice to have a pack mule around, I'm always running out of carrying capacity
+They're always gonna draw some of the attention away from you during battle
+The wait time is really good, so if whatever you're doing requires some finesse, just tell them to hang around

-Always either too far away or too close. They're out of sight or they're blocking the exit. And they STILL get stuck, but then again, I get stuck in geometry too so I can empathize.
-As you mentioned, crowd control can be tough with them getting in the way.
-It sucks when you find out you have to switch followers for a quest all of a sudden. Lidya made it back to the only time I've sent her away, but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

Ri'Orius

So, can someone give me a hint about where to start the Dark Brotherhood questline? I'm almost 100 hours in and don't think I've seen anything along those lines.

The closest thing I found was
the quest where a kid is trying to summon the Dark Brotherhood and you show up. He asks you to kill an old lady at an orphanage. I did the quest, but it didn't lead anywhere.

noob question regarding shouts. so i killed the first dragon and got the force shout np. since then, i've killed 2 more dragons which rightfully stated on the buttom right and found another fire shout. so how come i can't activate the fire shout? how many more dragons do i need to kill? how do i know? is there any indication anywhere on when i will able to pick the fire shout?

So, can someone give me a hint about where to start the Dark Brotherhood questline? I'm almost 100 hours in and don't think I've seen anything along those lines.

the quest where a kid is trying to summon the Dark Brotherhood and you show up. He asks you to kill an old lady at an orphanage. I did the quest, but it didn't lead anywhere.

How long ago? You should get a letter from the DB shortly. After you get the letter, sleep on it, and the rest will explain itself.

noob question regarding shouts. so i killed the first dragon and got the force shout np. since then, i've killed 2 more dragons which rightfully stated on the buttom right and found another fire shout. so how come i can't activate the fire shout? how many more dragons do i need to kill? how do i know? is there any indication anywhere on when i will able to pick the fire shout?
I've encountered this as well. At first I thought I wasn't able to activate shouts until I met the Greybeards, but my current character was able to start activating them as soon as I started collecting souls. So I guess it's a bug? If you have shouts, and the souls to unlock them, it should work. If not, try progressing the main quest a bit. That worked for me.

GhaleonEB

You are on the path.
You'll get notified soon. After you are - go take a nap somewhere.

Edit: that's what I get for reading the new posts and not hitting refresh before reply. :lol

You need to spend a dragon soul to learn a shout. Go to magic, then shouts, then select the new shout you want to learn and at the bottom of your screen it will tell you the button to press. X - 360 for example. You don't need to speak to the greybeards to learn shouts you just need to learn the word then spend the soul on it. Don't forget to favorite it afterwards!

GeekyDad

Anyone tell me if there's a quick-switch option for weapons and spells? Just started the game last night -- not too far in -- and it sure would be nice to be able to go from my healing spell to having my shield equipped.

Also, I'm a little unclear about the skills. Am I correct in assuming that where it says "required," it's referring to my level?

Lastly, I've "used" several scrolls, but the spells don't show up on my spell list. What up with that?

Thanks

Anyone tell me if there's a quick-switch option for weapons and spells? Just started the game last night -- not too far in -- and it sure would be nice to be able to go from my healing spell to having my shield equipped.

Also, I'm a little unclear about the skills. Am I correct in assuming that where it says "required," it's referring to my level?

Lastly, I've "used" several scrolls, but the spells don't show up on my spell list. What up with that?

Thanks

Only thing I have found is adding the spell/weapon/shout to my favorite list and using that to switch...

The post below answers better then I could as I only read the first question.

Thanks

1. There's the favorites menu and a few hotkeys you can use. For the favorites menu, just favorite the item in your inventory, and you can pull it out pretty rapidly during gameplay. Then there's two hotkeys you can assign in the favorites menu.

2. Not your level, but the level your skill is at. If a perk in Conjuration says "Requires 70", that means your Conjuration skill needs to be at 70 before you're able to pick the perk.

3. Scrolls are one-time use only, you don't learn spells from them. You'll find Spell Tomes that can teach you new spells scattered throughout the game.

Esch

Banned
The 'ghosts lead you through a dungeon' schtick is abused in this game. If i could only count how many fuzzy outlines told me a story of how they did something stupid in a barrow.

LLShC.gif

Go and pick up Mjoll if you want an awesome melee/bow companion. She can't die via friendly fire btw ;D

Top Bottom