• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Go and pick up Mjoll if you want an awesome melee/bow companion. She can't die via friendly fire btw ;D

I need to track her down and get her to join me. I was going follower-less for a while after losing Lydia, but I need to find a good sneaky companion. Right now I'm running with the Riften housecarl (Iona? I think) because she's sworn to carry my burdens.

GeekyDad

1. There's the favorites menu and a few hotkeys you can use. For the favorites menu, just favorite the item in your inventory, and you can pull it out pretty rapidly during gameplay. Then there's two hotkeys you can assign in the favorites menu.

2. Not your level, but the level your skill is at. If a perk in Conjuration says "Requires 70", that means your Conjuration skill needs to be at 70 before you're able to pick the perk.

3. Scrolls are one-time use only, you don't learn spells from them. You'll find Spell Tomes that can teach you new spells scattered throughout the game.

Many thanks for that. I probably should have clarified, though, I'm playing on PS3. Any idea if it's possible to map a weapon quick-swap to the d-pad?

Many thanks for that. I probably should have clarified, though, I'm playing on PS3. Any idea if it's possible to map a weapon quick-swap to the d-pad?

Not enttierly sure on PS3 (playing on PC sometimes with a 360 controller) but the favorites list is up on the d-pad for me when I play with a controller. push up and choose from my favorites that I have set.

I do the same, partly because I play a stealth character. I don't need anyone else stomping on pressure plates for me. That dude in my house at Markarth has recently gone...missing....for being annoying while I was on a loot drop.

Last night I did a quest for the civil war (ambushing a wagon on the road), and I had to meet up with some soldiers for the attack. I meet them and the guy outlines his plan - phased attack, distractions, etc - and then I get the option to tell them to chill out and let me just go kill everyone. I told them to sit tight, shot everyone, and reported back.

I work alone.

I always take a companion with me, but would never if there wasn't a carry limit. They are my pack-mule. Plus with my companion always in Daedric armor, they can startle me after I've just finished taking a horde of assholes down.

lil smoke

Banned
Man, doing all this enchanting/smithing/alchemy game to get powerful gear is such a huge waste of time. I must have wasted like 1h30 running between the alchemy lab, the enchanting table and the blacksmith forge just for that. I couldnt even finish before i had to turn off the game so i can go to sleep. This better be worth it when im done tomorrow!

ITA. I stopped doing it and am allowing myself to go with the flow of the game without intentionally grinding. I may be a weaker character, but at level 28, I feel like there is so much left out there to experience, not only with this guy, but with my next 3 rolls.

The only problem is that I'm sitting on tons of raw jewels, ores, leather and stuff, I am so not looking forward to setting up to sell it all over Skyrim. If I can get my barter up, maybe some point during the holidays and a lot of egg nog, I'll make a day of it.

mclaren777

Someone recently made a thread that showed Skyrim leading the GOTY race with 6+ awards.

I just spent 10 minutes looking for it but I haven't been successful. Help?

ajf009

ok this is ridiculous, a chick asks me to get her ingot, spoon, and soul gem for her because she forgot them. ok, where are they? oh one's in ivarstead, one's in windhelm. and one's in winterhold...

seriously? that's like saying, hey could you grab my socks, dvd, and book for me? one's in seattle, one's in texas, and one's in LA..

NO, just get new fucking socks you damn idiot!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Where do you get those soul gems that never break? I heard there was 2 of them and i already got the Azura's Star.

GhaleonEB

After over 90 hours I finally stumbled over the quest that will eventually lead me to Blackreach. I'm intrigued.

Tipz please.

Where do you get those soul gems that never break? I heard there was 2 of them and i already got the Azura's Star.

They both come from that quest - you pick one or the other. IIRC, the other one is a Black Star, which is a reusable black soul gem. What you get depends on who you return to at the end.

I need to track her down and get her to join me. I was going follower-less for a while after losing Lydia, but I need to find a good sneaky companion. Right now I'm running with the Riften housecarl (Iona? I think) because she's sworn to carry my burdens.

Mjoll is wandering around Riften following some dude. She asks you to find a sword she drop in a dwarven tower. Get it back to her and she'll be willing to follow ya

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Mjoll is wandering around Riften following some dude. She asks you to find a sword she drop in a dwarven tower. Get it back to her and she'll be willing to follow ya
I pissed her off by telling her I was planning to join the Thieves (though the option to explain my true intentions to her was not available). Wonder if she'll still be willing to help me out if I find Grimsever.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Wow, finally got around to reinstalling Oblivion GotY on my PC, and seeing it running at maximum settings with what appears to be a steady 60+ FPS makes me sad that I'm stuck with the PS3 version of Skyrim. I really wish they could make a PS3 to PC save converter so all the time I've spent on it won't go to waste when I inevitably get Skyrim GotY on Steam someday. Now I guess I'll have to look into some graphical mods to fix up Oblivion's chunky character models and hope that my old saves still work.

mattoz85

Post end-game spoilers:

After defeating Alduin,
I went back to Sky Haven Temple. I was told to
kill Paarthunax (the Greybeards' leader) or they would stop helping me. I mean, I already killed Alduin, so I don't really need them, but whatevs.

I didn't really feel comfortable doing it, so I made sure to save before doing anything.
So I go find him on top of the mountain and tell him I'm there to kill him. Then I attack him, and he just took it. He didn't even fight back. Then he flew down onto the ground to die. I felt AWFUL. I went back to Delphine and Esbern who now want me to recruit for the Blades. This just didn't feel right at all. Paarthunax was my buddy. He helped me figure out how to beat Alduin.
So I reloaded and decided not to go through with it.

This was the only emotional moment I've had in this game, and it was a killer.

Post end-game spoilers:

After defeating Alduin,
kill Paarthunax (the Greybeards' leader) or they would stop helping me. I mean, I already killed Alduin, so I don't really need them, but whatevs.

I didn't really feel comfortable doing it, so I made sure to save before doing anything.
So I go find him on top of the mountain and tell him I'm there to kill him. Then I attack him, and he just took it. He didn't even fight back. Then he flew down onto the ground to die. I felt AWFUL. I went back to Delphine and Esbern who now want me to recruit for the Blades. This just didn't feel right at all. Paarthunax was my buddy. He helped me figure out how to beat Alduin.

Damn son...why would they want you to do that? Shit doesnt sound right to me, at all. Thats crazy man. He didnt even do anything to warrant that.
Makes you really think though...you should go to esbern on your old save (right after defeating Alduin) and see if they still want you to recruit Blades. If they dont want you to...It really leads me to believe the character is being mislead and that the Greybeards and blades are really working together despite what they say about each other...
Tell me what you think.

TTG

Question about the WABBAJACK. So I'm running around north of windhelm and there's a "madwoman" yelling about how I must use it on her. Now, this thing is tucked away at my house at whiterun. Do I drop everything to go get it? What happens?

I pissed her off by telling her I was planning to join the Thieves (though the option to explain my true intentions to her was not available). Wonder if she'll still be willing to help me out if I find Grimsever.

Yea I pissed her off too but if you do some random quests around town, you'll get back on her good side and she'll mention grimsever again. After that I gave her her sword back and everything was peachy :D

Hyunkel6

Question about the WABBAJACK. So I'm running around north of windhelm and there's a "madwoman" yelling about how I must use it on her. Now, this thing is tucked away at my house at whiterun. Do I drop everything to go get it? What happens?
Don't go get it.
For me, she just turned into a bunny and hopped away
. It''s not a quest or anything important.

TTG

Don't go get it.
For me, she just turned into a bunny and hopped away
. It''s not a quest or anything important.

Yea, I fast traveled there and back and she was gone.

On an unrelated note, 50 hours in and I finally have reasons to go to Markath, crazy that it took so long.

overcast

So, will the Dark Brotherhood just continue to waste my time after I
assassinated the emperor
, or is there something significant after all of this. Just contract after contract it seems?

Morokh

Sul joined the Dark Brotherhood. There's a fucking Word Wall in the middle of the sanctuary.

Seriously Bethesda, that's just messed up. The goddamn Dovahkiin shouldn't join the Dark Brotherhood if he doesn't fucking want to.

Make perfect sense to find a wall here since they are holed up in what seems to be a
Nord Tomb

And you don't have to join them
but you still have to make the kill to trigger the meeting of their leader, once you're in the shack and she wants you to kill one of the captives, just kill her, you'll be pointed towards the penitus oculatus headquarters in Dragon Bridge and given a quest to wipe the DB sanctuary clean

Yo Gotti

Banned
Make perfect sense to find a wall here since they are holed up in what seems to be a
Nord Tomb

but you still have to make the kill to trigger the meeting of their leader, once you're in the shack and she wants you to kill one of the captives, just kill her, you'll be pointed towards the penitus oculatus headquarters in Dragon Bridge and given a quest to wipe the DB sanctuary clean

This type of thing is exactly what this game needs, more open-ended, branching quests.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I have found my favorite companions are
Shadowmere around the world and Lucien Lachance in dungeons
Dark Brotherhood related

Erm... is it possible I could have killed
Lucien Lachance
before meeting him in the DB quests? I just read his name and I think it rings a bell, I might have seen (made...) a corpse called that while exploring random caves...

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Though you do get a mage follower out of Azura's path.

I got into a fight with some obscenely powerful wizard guy halfway up a mountain and my mage follower got killed I think (I was hiding). Sucks because we made an awesome team. I might see if J'Zargo wants to hang out.

Esch

Banned
Oblivion gates in disguise.

Shame because I think the civil war potentially could have made a better main quest subject than the dragons. I thought that there was a lot of potential there, especially when hearing the NPCs talk about it and how it ties into things going on outside the plotline. I think the civil war affects skyrim as openly as the alduin threat

Anteater

Wish I could hold a shield with my right hand, I hate this stupid extra unsheathing animation when you switch weapons with your right hand, which isn't there with your left, that's including the bound sword, when you cast it, it's there and you shouldn't need to wait, god damn it man!

The Dovahkiin has a nice rack.

549Kw.jpg

Post end-game spoilers:

After defeating Alduin,

I told 'em to go fuck themselves.
Paarthurnax is my bro, no way I'm gonna kill him. Without him, we could've just as easily laid down on the ground and waited for it all to be over.

The Dovahkiin has a nice rack.

549Kw.jpg
Wulf's interest is rising...

Erm... is it possible I could have killed
Lucien Lachance
before meeting him in the DB quests? I just read his name and I think it rings a bell, I might have seen (made...) a corpse called that while exploring random caves...
If you played Oblivion, yeah. :lol
He's the Speaker that recruits you for the Dark Brotherhood in Oblivion. At the end of the questline, he gets killed after one of the other Speakers betrays them. I think (not sure, I've only just started the DB in Skyrim) that he only ends up a companion in a summonable form.

Nord Tomb

I know, I know. From a lore perspective it makes sense, but from a role-playing perspective it's a goddamn pain in the ass. If I'm playing as the Goddamn Dovahkiin, come to slay dragons and crush Stormcloaks, I don't want to kill some random old lady and join a guild of thieves ànd the guild of mages because Beth thought everyone would like becoming everything with one character.

Speaking of which, there's so much potential for the factions in the game to cross each other, forcing you to pick sides like in Morrowind. One of the recruits that joins you in the Thieves Guild is
an ex-Morag Tong assassin, and the Dark Brotherhood wants his head on a platter.
It would've been epic if ,
at a certain point in the Dark Brotherhood questline, they tell you to kill him... And you have to choose between the two Guilds.

As it stands, I'm never going to be able to get all the Shouts for my Goddamn Dovahkiin character, nor all the Stones of Barenziah for my Thief character. Which is a damned shame.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
If you played Oblivion, yeah. :lol
He's the Speaker that recruits you for the Dark Brotherhood in Oblivion. At the end of the questline, he gets killed after one of the other Speakers betrays them. I think (not sure, I've only just started the DB in Skyrim) that he only ends up a companion in a summonable form.

Phew, that's alright then! I definitely did kill some named NPC in a dungeon, but it obviously wasn't him. Panic over!

TTG

I got into a fight with some obscenely powerful wizard guy halfway up a mountain and my mage follower got killed I think (I was hiding). Sucks because we made an awesome team. I might see if J'Zargo wants to hang out.

Was your follower the guy from Dawnstar? Because he's awesome, I sent Lidya packing once he was available and it's been great. Being a mage, he has lot's of cool range attacks and generally seems more talkative. All Lidya used to say was, "oh look, a cave! I wonder what's inside". Plus this guy has a torch! It's useless, but kinda cool. Oh, and the glass mace is nice too.

gdt

Ugh, hit a major, major bug.

Well, I've had this bug for awhile, not it's stopping me from continuing the main quest (at 75 hours in lol).

Basically, for awhile, I haven't been able to store any items, or trade them with my companions. But for the quest "Diplomatic...whatever" I have to give some of my items to Malborn, but I can't! Can I just wing the quest without doing that?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Was your follower the guy from Dawnstar? Because he's awesome, I sent Lidya packing once he was available and it's been great. Being a mage, he has lot's of cool range attacks and generally seems more talkative. All Lidya used to say was, "oh look, a cave! I wonder what's inside". Plus this guy has a torch! It's useless, but kinda cool. Oh, and the glass mace is nice too.

Nah, it was a female from Azura's Shrine. She had badass lighting powers, very handy in a fight. But I think she's dead now :(

ShinAmano

Post end-game spoilers:

After defeating Alduin,

Same boat...I did not go through with it...but I do think I will try to kill them for asking...this leads to one of my only problems with the game...I should be able to kill anyone I want...and what I want to do after finishing a couple more quests is take out everyone. By everyone I mean go town to town and kill every last person and let Skyrim belong to the dragons and I. <evil laugh>

Other complaint is that I can't change the face paint that I put on at the beginning of the game -_-

ShinAmano

Ugh, hit a major, major bug.

Well, I've had this bug for awhile, not it's stopping me from continuing the main quest (at 75 hours in lol).

Basically, for awhile, I haven't been able to store any items, or trade them with my companions. But for the quest "Diplomatic...whatever" I have to give some of my items to Malborn, but I can't! Can I just wing the quest without doing that?

As long as you have good magic and shouts without giving any items you will be fine...there are some tough enemies in there but nothing crazy.

Barrett2

Lydia just died in a horrific battle with some disgusting cave monsters, like something out of The Descent. Naturally, I reloaded the save, walked the Hell out of the cave. I can't lose her!

Jeff Chen

Banned
Lydia just died in a horrific battle with some disgusting cave monsters, like something out of The Descent. Naturally, I reloaded the save, walked the Hell out of the cave. I can't lose her!

I now only keep her home since whenever I hit her by mistake, she dies. SOOOOOO annoying.

Esch

Banned

If Lydia's dying from just some
Falmer
then its time to give her some new gear...

I dont know how people who aren't mage characters keep losing companions.

GhaleonEB

If Lydia's dying from just some
Falmer
then its time to give her some new gear...

I dont know how people who aren't mage characters keep losing companions.

Falmer
are no joke, depending on your level and where you encounter them. When I was in the mid 20s I ran into a cave of them where 1 on 1 I had a 50/50 shot of survival. Very tough.

Now I one-shot most of them, of course. But for a long time, they terrified me.

CrunchyB

After over 90 hours I finally stumbled over the quest that will eventually lead me to Blackreach. I'm intrigued.

I swear, this game is a ridiculously addictive time sink. I stumbled into Blackreach about 50 hours into the game, at 4am in the morning. Just one more dungeon, how large could it possibly be? :)

I think I'm at about 70 hours now. L40, Wizard/Rogue/Light Fighter. Completed the Winterhold College and Thieves quest, did a ton of other stuff but still haven't spent a second on the Companions or the Civil War quests. I think I'll save those two for my new character.

Esch

Banned
Falmer
are no joke, depending on your level and where you encounter them. When I was in the mid 20s I ran into a cave of them where 1 on 1 I had a 50/50 shot of survival. Very tough.

I have never really had issues with them in any playthrough at any time unless they were massed(bastards). But seriously, giving Lydia a smithed and enchanted set of gear turns her into a force.

Falmer

Anytime their in open Dwemer caves, they are very easy, couple arrows and firebolt take em out, but when I find them in close quarters they are the toughest fights, Sanquine Rose is a must in those situations.

My Lydia has pretty good gear (legendary ebony set with a daedric war axe) but she's still pretty useless aside from providing a distraction.

Also, for some reason she won't take the Daedric Bow that I try to give her.

GhaleonEB

Anytime their in open Dwemer caves, they are very easy, couple arrows and firebolt take em out, but when I find them in close quarters they are the toughest fights, Sanquine Rose is a must in those situations.

I wasn't in one of those caves, but a very large (three or four part) regular cave that had Dwemer elements gradually emerge. Lots of small rooms and narrow walkways with short lines of sight. My archer was a glass cannon, so I was far out of my element.

Top Bottom