• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

They're definitely not undead. They shouldn't count as atronachs, either (because, lore-wise, they're not atronachs). This is a good question. It'd be a shame to invest in undead/atronach-specific perks for the master summons to not be effected by either.

Exactly. that's my problem right now.

Phreaker

So you'd reload, and still be unable to move, regardless of where you reloaded to?

Yep, I tried my last autosave, then my last real save then jumped back to a save from a week ago and no matter what save I loaded he was just stuck there unable to move. I even tried removing all my gear, using the shout to push me forward, everything I could think of. I decided I might as well restart my 360 and see if it fixed the problem and luckily it did. The only difference was for me this happened immediately after exiting my house in Whiterun. I could reenter the house and fast travel, but it didn't make any different I was just glued to the ground.

Yep, I tried my last autosave, then my last real save then jumped back to a save from a week ago and no matter what save I loaded he was just stuck there unable to move. I even tried removing all my gear, using the shout to push me forward, everything I could think of. I decided I might as well restart my 360 and see if it fixed the problem and luckily it did.

Shit, that'd scare the hell out of me. Glad it was such an easy fix, even if it meant losing a little progress.

What's Rolf's story? Damn I need to create my assassin soon

He wasn't originally called Rolf. He fought in the Oblivion crisis. He was at the fall of the Crystal Tower. When the Thalmor rose to prominence in the Summerset Isle, he opposed them quite heavily: he didn't like their policies, he didn't like their leaders, he just didn't like them at all. And as it happens in dictatorial regimes, the Thalmor sent assassins after him.

They attacked in the middle of the night. They killed his family, blinded his left eye, and nearly killed him too... But he escaped by fleeing into Oblivion. More specifically, he fled into the realm of Clavicus Vile. The same Clavicus Vile that was severely weakened when Umbriel escaped from him at the start of the fourth era.

He spent several years in Vile's realm, looking for a way out. He travelled and searched, eventually meeting a Nord mage called Rolf. Eventually, during the Umbriel crisis, he and Rolf discovered a way. They prepared to make use of the rift left behind by Umbriel to travel back to Tamriel, but for that they needed a soul. They planned to use a daedric soul, but when assassins working for Vile attacked them during the ritual, Rolf was killed. The ritual consumed his soul, and Rolf (the Altmer) was pulled through the portal... But not after having his face mauled by one of Vile's agents.

So he escaped... But Vile still had his vengeance. The Altmer didn't emerge back in Tamriel during his own timeline, but instead appeared in Cyrodiil more than 100 years later, in 4E 200. The current situation with the Empire and the Thalmor drove him northward, towards Skyrim. To throw the Thalmor off of his trail, he adopted a new name, that of his dead friend. Rolf was born.

He wasn't originally called Rolf. He fought in the Oblivion crisis. He was at the fall of the Crystal Tower. When the Thalmor rose to prominence in the Summerset Isle, he opposed them quite heavily: he didn't like their policies, he didn't like their leaders, he just didn't like them at all. And as it happens in dictatorial regimes, the Thalmor sent assassins after him.

They attacked in the middle of the night. They killed his family, blinded his left eye, and nearly killed him too... But he escaped by fleeing into Oblivion. More specifically, he fled into the realm of Clavicus Vile. The same Clavicus Vile that was severely weakened when Umbriel escaped from him at the start of the fourth era.

He spent several years in Vile's realm, looking for a way out. He travelled and searched, eventually meeting a Nord mage called Rolf. Eventually, during the Umbriel crisis, he and Rolf discovered a way. They prepared to make use of the rift left behind by Umbriel to travel back to Tamriel, but for that they needed a soul. They planned to use a daedric soul, but when assassins working for Vile attacked them during the ritual, Rolf was killed. The ritual consumed his soul, and Rolf (the Altmer) was pulled through the portal... But not after having his face mauled by one of Vile's agents.

So he escaped... But Vile still had his vengeance. The Altmer didn't emerge back in Tamriel during his own timeline, but instead appeared in Cyrodiil more than 100 years later, in 4E 200. The current situation with the Empire and the Thalmor drove him northward, towards Skyrim. To throw the Thalmor off of his trail, he adopted a new name, that of his dead friend. Rolf was born.

Will he wear the Masque of Clavicus Vile to hide his mangled face?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yes! But only if you
do her DB quest and complete both objectives she gives you
. A DB-only spouse.

I did do both, and that sounds right up my alley...

Somebody put her in those Nocturnal robes...
BGlsF.png

TTG

So, I think it's about time I grind my way up in Smithing. Is making iron daggers over and over the best way to go? If so, what do you guys think about enchanting a good percentage of those to get my enchanting up out of the 50s? I just checked and I'm sitting at 20 of greater and common each, about 30 lesser and another 30 in petty. I'm not about to give up grand and black soul gems for the cause though. Is there an easier way to go?

GhaleonEB

So, I think it's about time I grind my way up in Smithing. Is making iron daggers over and over the best way to go? If so, what do you guys think about enchanting a good percentage of those to get my enchanting up out of the 50s? I just checked and I'm sitting at 20 of greater and common each, about 30 lesser and another 30 in petty. I'm not about to give up grand and black soul gems for the cause though. Is there an easier way to go?

I had a routine I got into with my first character, that I will follow with my current as well once I have a house. When I got back home from an adventure, I would:

• Store stuff I want to keep.
  • Check to see if I can disenchant any of my enchanted loot.
  • Head to the smithy and smelt ingots from stuff I've mined, make leather from skins.
  • Improve any loot I hauled out (work bench or sharpening stone).
  • Craft new stuff from raw materials, then improve those.
  • Go enchant the stuff I just smithed.
  • Sell stuffz.

I didn't settle on this routine until midway through Luna's play time, but by doing this I had smithing in the 70's and Enchanting in the 60's by the time I retired her.

But to grind it rapidly, yeah you basically have the right plan. Just craft a ton of daggers, improve them, enchant them, then sell'em off.

It's a good idea to level both of them at the same time. It's much easier if you have access to the Mage's College since all the teachers sell soul gems.

The most profitable enchants are banish daedra and paralyze. Make as many daggers as you can then go and enchant as many as possible. You can then sell those daggers for a profit or use the proceeds to buy more iron ingots.

Keep doing that and you'll be able to clean out the smiths iron and leather strips for less than what you get for a single dagger. The daggers I enchant at level 100 sell for 3200 gold. No one can afford them lol

edit: use anything below and including common gems. Keep the good ones for enchanting gear for yourself

Seanspeed

Banned
-Once married, Senna will not ask you where you want to live. She can be found wandering Markrath or in the Temple of Dibella. Every time you try talking to her, she will give you default conversations, whereas mutual living will not be mentioned at all.
However if the player talks to her before she leaves the wedding ceremony, she will in fact ask where the player would like her to live. She takes a while to get to her new home, but runs a store from it without asking and gives half the proceeds to the player.

Ok, I married one of the Priestesses, but even after waiting like 90+ hours, she still hasn't arrived. Is it really supposed to take that long or does this only work for Senna?

EDIT: nevermind, fuck it. I'm just gonna marry somebody else instead.

One thing I don't think this game does well is visual clarity. I just rescued the
Jagged Crown
and I was having a real hard time distinguishing my troops from
the Stormcloaks
while aiming from afar.

Just did the Thalmor Embassy quest and had in the back of mind reading there was something to grab you can't get at any other time, so quickly looked it up.

I won't spoiler tag it since I think it's pretty evil of Bethesda to have put one of the Stones of Barenziah in the Embassy with only one chance to get it, because if you miss it, which is easy since you don't need to go to the room/floor where it is - you could be stuck with an unfinished quest and up to 23 items you can't remove from your inventory!

Incidently - I joined the Stormcloaks a while back thinking they were rebels with a cause, but now I'm feeling like, as a Wood Elf, I should've sided with the Empire since the Thalmor are Elves and they are at loggerheads with the Stormcloaks - I guess it doesn't make a difference either way, but you get the occasional racist remark about Elves that makes you think twice about the Stormcloaks!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Just did the Thalmor Embassy quest and had in the back of mind reading there was something to grab you can't get at any other time, so quickly looked it up.

I won't spoiler tag it since I think it's pretty evil of Bethesda to have put one of the Stones of Barenziah in the Embassy with only one chance to get it, because if you miss it, which is easy since you don't need to go to the room/floor where it is - you could be stuck with an unfinished quest and up to 23 items you can't remove from your inventory!

Incidently - I joined the Stormcloaks a while back thinking they were rebels with a cause, but now I'm feeling like, as a Wood Elf, I should've sided with the Empire since the Thalmor are Elves and they are at loggerheads with the Stormcloaks - I guess it doesn't make a difference either way, but you get the occasional racist remark about Elves that makes you think twice about the Stormcloaks!

Hm...i dont even remember if i picked the stone in the Thalmor Embassy...oh well, if i end up with 23 of them later and explored everything, i'll just use a console command to complete it. PC version ftw!

Aurarian

Can anyone tell me if there's a bug at Soljund's Sinkhole that isn't allowing me to see it cleared? I finished the quest to clear the draugr out but it isn't flagged as cleared and I don't know why. I've looked at the wiki and I don't see any other quests that are associated with the place. Anyone here have it cleared?

NBtoaster

uh what..I just caught rockjoint, but I should be immune T_T I haven't caught a disease in like 80 hours..

Maybe it's because I caught it off a trap, maybe they ignore resistances..

mattoz85

Two quests are bugged for me, keeping me from getting the last two achievements.

I can't do the last
Daedra quest
in Dawnstar because the priest disappears inside the tower and I can't get past the obstacle that he apparently has to move. I did what the wiki said and waited for like 5 days, but he's not reappearing at the inn. And since I'm on the 360, the other fix won't work.

I also can't do the Companions quest
where you have to kill those witches and collect their heads.
I mean, I can do the quest, but once I get back to Whiterun, everyone's
just mourning the dead and won't move, and the next quest will not start.
The wiki says to wait 32 days, but I don't know if that means to literally wait for 24 hours 32 times, or if I can go and do other stuff for 32 days first.

Anyone else encounter these? What should I do?

Bisnic

Does wearing more pieces of light armor increase the rate at which it lvl up? I've been only wearing light boots lately with my daedric heavy armor, but i just got nightinggale set and wondering if wearing it would just be faster in the end.

muffs92

My character has a constant shock/smoke effect on his entire body.
It actually interferes with my gameplay as it is visible from the first person view.
Anyone know how to fix this?

NBtoaster

It is nasty that you don't get any warning about that.
I missed the stone the first time, and read an easy way (glitch) to get back into the embassy with a horse, tried and it works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk9hcG3xl84

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
How in the world is there not an option tot take out the thieves guild...

Try playing a noble character, but want to nice bows and there's no other way to get them. Taking out the guild should be an obvious answer.

Bisnic

How in the world is there not an option tot take out the thieves guild...

Try playing a noble character, but want to nice bows and there's no other way to get them. Taking out the guild should be an obvious answer.

Are you talking about the Nightingale Bow? It sucks, even my Daedric Bow does 2x more damage.

GhaleonEB

So I'm doing the Missing in Action quest from Whiterun, and have just met the gang for the assault on the fort. I talk with Avulstein, we get pumped up to kill some Thalmor (I'm always down for that), and then...

...turn around and get into a four-way fight between a Novice Conjurer, three Bandits, four horkers, myself, the three Gray-Manes, and my horse. Shit was bonkers. :lol

I've purchase the house in Whiterun, upgraded it, took a tour, and decided to loot the dump and buy the house in Markarth. Place is a hovel by comparison!

Also, I just found the Thalmor Embassy. I see from the above conversation there's a quest there - how do I initiate it? I wanna kill some (more) Thalmor.

Edit: tonight's log:

• Finish a Companion's quest, get a new weapon (Skyforge Steel War Axe).
  • Do side quest to get enough loot to afford a grand soul gem from the Whiterun general store (Missing in Action).
  • Improve new axe at the smith, enchant it with the grand soul gem.
  • Loot Breezehome of every movable object. Test out new axe on Lydia. It works well.
  • Loot Lydia's corpse.
  • Receive note of consolation of Lydia's death from a courier - I inhereted 300 gold (270 net of taxes) from her. Kaching!
  • Sell epic pile of stuff from the now abandoned house.
  • Gear up to retrieve the horn for the main quest.

Also, the Missing in Action quest convinced me to bail on the Imperial Legion. I thought I was joining the good guys and here they are handing over citizens to the Thalmor to torture. Fuck those guys, I just got done rolling with those asshole Stormcloaks, I don't want to join another bunch I don't like. This character will ignore them and focus on the Companions, Main Quest and College of Winterhold. I'll do a bit of the MQ then enter the College next.

Definitely getting over the hump in terms of combat skills, I'm pretty formidable now, though I still have to be careful.

Hyunkel6

Who's the most immoral follower in the game? I need one to
sacrifice for a daedric quest
, but every follower I met until now were good people.

Who's the most immoral follower in the game? I need one to
sacrifice for a daedric quest
, but every follower I met until now were good people.

The follower you can get from the quest is evil;) But also awesome. I traded Lydia for her.

So I'm doing the Missing in Action quest from Whiterun, and have just met the gang for the assault on the fort. I talk with Avulstein, we get pumped up to kill some Thalmor (I'm always down for that), and then...

...turn around and get into a four-way fight between a Novice Conjurer, three Bandits, four horkers, myself, the three Gray-Manes, and my horse. Shit was bonkers. :lol

I've purchase the house in Whiterun, upgraded it, took a tour, and decided to loot the dump and buy the house in Markarth. Place is a hovel by comparison!

Also, I just found the Thalmor Embassy. I see from the above conversation there's a quest there - how do I initiate it? I wanna kill some (more) Thalmor.

• Do side quest to get enough loot to afford a grand soul gem from the Whiterun general store (Missing in Action).
  • Loot Breezehome of every movable object. Test out new axe on Lydia. It works well.
  • Loot Lydia's corpse.
  • Receive note of consolation of Lydia's death from a courier - I inhereted 300 gold (270 net of taxes) from her. Kaching!

Also, the Missing in Action quest convinced me to bail on the Imperial Legion. I thought I was joining the good guys and here they are handing over citizens to the Thalmor to torture. Fuck those guys, I just got done rolling with those asshole Stormcloaks, I don't want to join another bunch I don't like. This character will ignore them and focus on the Companions, Main Quest and College of Winterhold. I'll do a bit of the MQ then enter the College next.

Definitely getting over the hump in terms of combat skills, I'm pretty formidable now, though I still have to be careful.

You need to follow the main quest to enter it. Btw, in the quest you'll hear that the Thalmor
have their own agenda independant of the Empire
. And don't do the DB quest line if you don't like torturing people.;)

Just got my OST in the mail... Delivery quality is poor, to say the least. It got wrapped in bubble paper, it seems, but the cardboard cover's still a bit messed up, and some of the plastic disc-holders have cracks in them. Not really what I was expecting.

CassSept

I have a quick question concerning changing language within Skyrim. While most of GAF is American, maybe someone can help me.

I'm 15 hours into the game now and after a lot of thought I've decided I want to change the language of the game. I know it's not much into the game, but I'd still be angry if the save file got lost. Thus the question, is there any documented case of save file getting corrupted after changing in-game language? Considering it's a bug-ridden game I wouldn't be surprised something like that happens, so I want to be more or less sure before I do it.

Fjordson

Damn, love those character bios posted earlier. So busy lately, unable to play much, so I'm in Skyrim vicariously through this thread =D

Oh, and as an addition to Rolf's story, the original Rolf was a practicioner of the Way of the Voice. When his soul was consumed by the ritual, part of the understanding of that school of magic was imbibed by our Altmer friend... So he can use shouts.

He ain't no dragonborn, but he can shout all the same. It fits. :lol

Didn't have much time to play last night, but managed to complete a couple of open quests myself. Returned to Solitude and spoke with the Jarl. Now I'm allowed to buy the house there, but I'm holding off for now. Went into the catacombs and took out the Wold Queen. Was a solid side quest that ended up with some decent, although nothing outstanding, loot.

Oh, and I finished the Discerning the Transmundane quest and grabbed the Oghma Infinium, but was unimpressed at first. The value of the thing had me intrigued however, and upon a second inspection – Holy Shit! :)

Are you talking about the Nightingale Bow? It sucks, even my Daedric Bow does 2x more damage.

I'm using the Nightingale Bow now as my main ranged weapon, and it is doing good damage for me. I'm only Level 42, so perhaps I'll come across better stuff down the line, but at the moment it is the best boy that I've come across. Depending on where you are at in the story, it hardly "sucks."

Phreaker

Can anyone tell me if there's a bug at Soljund's Sinkhole that isn't allowing me to see it cleared? I finished the quest to clear the draugr out but it isn't flagged as cleared and I don't know why. I've looked at the wiki and I don't see any other quests that are associated with the place. Anyone here have it cleared?

Not sure if it's a bug or not, but like you, I just recently did that quest. When I read your post I thought I'd check for you and mine doesn't say cleared either. I haven't gone back in to look in every nook and cranny though.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
started playing again (level 35), got annihilated by some wandering necromancers three times in a row. Love this game.

I saw a youtube vid that shows how you can get out of Whiterun. Turns out I was trying the right thing a few weeks ago when I gave up. :lol

I'm gonna try and get as close to Cyrodiil as I can, dammit.

Phreaker

Speaking of quest items you can't get rid of that weigh a lot... Is there any way to get rid of the
Elder Scroll
once you've completed the main quest? Or, might I still need it for something? I tried to store it at my house, but it says "Quest Items cannot be removed from your Inventory."

[*]Loot Lydia's corpse.

You monster.

You need to follow the main quest to enter it. Btw, in the quest you'll hear that the Thalmor
have their own agenda independant of the Empire
. And don't do the DB quest line if you don't like torturing people.;)

Pretty much. In fact,
when you mention it to Tullius I think he says something along the lines of "I wish I could help you, but the Thalmor are too strong for us".

We need to boot their asses back to Summerset asap.

Speaking of quest items you can't get rid of that weigh a lot... Is there any way to get rid of the
Elder Scroll
once you've completed the main quest? Or, might I still need it for something? I tried to store it at my house, but it says "Quest Items cannot be removed from your Inventory."

Aren't all quest items weightless?

NBtoaster

Elder Scroll

You can sell it to the Orc at the Mages College.
Aren't all quest items weightless?

Yeah. The listed weights are just for flavor or for when they ever stop being quest items.

Double D

I guess I'm an idiot, but I didn't really realize how the skill trees worked until abut level 32. I was waiting to get the last sneak perk, skipping the roll move, the one where you don't activate pressure plates, etc, only to realize how the prerequisites work. In hindsight I feel like a total moron.

Oh yeah, and I have also been slowly getting my smithing up to 100 and hoarding dragon scales to make dragon armor. Well, yeah, I haven't put a single point into the smithing tree. Is it even worth it at this point? I was hoping to get enchanting up there, too, but this is going to take like 15 more levels.

Top Bottom