• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

GhaleonEB

Since I have an inadvertent double post here, might as well make it useful.

I just completed the Hitting the Books quest for the College of Winterhold (or rather, just finished clearing out Felglow Keep, I still need to head back to the College).

My character Alis' build is finally coming into her own. What did it was adding Alteration to the mix, ditching Destruction entirely, and snagging Calm. Well, that and spending an hour acquiring the materials to swap my frost axe for an identical one but with fire damage. Too many things with frost resistances. Naturally, the very next place I go has Fire Atronochs. :lol

I enter the Keep, and right away a mage sends his two pet spiders after me. I tag one with Fury, and he turns on his buddy; his owner kills it. Repeat with the second one. I charge around the corner and up the stairs and hit the mage with Calm - he chills out instantly and goes about his business, ignoring me. That gives me the chance to cast Oakflesh to gird up, the swap to my shield. I smack the guy a couple times from behind, and as he turns around blast him with level 2 Unrelenting force. A few more blows and just as he's recovering I toss in a shield bash and finish him off while he's staggering.

The middle of the dungeon erupts in anarchy once I release all the prisoners - all hell breaks loose, with wolves, vampires and sorcerers all over the place. I toss Fury onto some of the sorcerers and then it really hits the fan. I roam around helping all three sides get whittled down evenly, seldom engaged directly. Next up is a training room, where I use Muffle to sneak up silently, then Fury on two of the three fire mages, causing a flaming brawl to break out. I step in as the last two are duking it out and finish each with one blow.

The next area has mages and tombs with Skeletons emerging; I hit the mages with Fury and they mop up the Skeletons, then turn on each other. I toss on Oakflesh and head in for mop up duty.

Much of the dungeon plays out this way, until the final boss who reminded me of the bosses in Deus Ex: Human Revolution: a powerful enemy (actually, several) dumped out in the middle of an open room. My build wasn't made for this kind of thing so it took a good dozen attempts to put her down.

Still, I feel like my character is over the hump (now at level 18) of Master Difficulty. I still die often and have to be careful, but the more methodical I am with my mix of spells and abilities, the better I do. Very satisfying to see a build I'd had conceptualized for a few weeks start to come together this well.

I've decided to do the main quest and College with this character, and some side quests. Then my brawler will go through the Companions and Civil War (as an Imperial) quest lines. That will hit my three desired builds: sneaky archer, tricky battle mage, and heavy muscle.

I'll get more play time out of Skyrim than from any other game I've owned. Insanity.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I remember hitting that spot at around level 18-20, then feeling pretty solid and confident until around level 30- now at 35 I find myself dying again quite frequently. But that's about to change all over again as I just finally got invisibility, and in 4 levels of sneak I can get shadow warrior. All in all I love the challenge of Master difficulty.

Calm + Dagger + 30x damage multiplier = OP

Doing backstabs using this method will see your Sneak skyrocket. Only times I've ever snuck was immediately before a backstab and my Sneak is in the mid 80s after 30 hours.

NBtoaster

Finally started a new character, the old one was driving me mad with all the bugs (mainly being stuck as a werewolf and being unable to get the Windhelm house).

This time an Imperial. I'll play it the same as my old breton character (restoration+one handed), but heavy armor now. I'll also make sure not to waste perks. Turns out it's pretty hard to make an imperial woman that doesn't look snooty. Best effort:

untitled6wpg1.jpg

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I chose the Stormcloaks... even if I am an elf. I mean.. perhaps I can make a difference in the long run, and the Imperials are assholes trying to impose themselves. Thalmor? I can deal with those assholes later :p!

nel e nel

We're talking about the same thing,

Yeah, once I read through this post I realized I misinterpreted the OG question.

lulz....ahhh internet - providing people the opportunity to say the same thing just slightly differently in elegantly verbose posts.

I gotta laugh at myself sometimes.

GhaleonEB

Yeah, once I read through this post I realized I misinterpreted the OG question.

lulz....ahhh internet - providing people the opportunity to say the same thing just slightly differently in elegantly verbose posts.

I gotta laugh at myself sometimes.

Hah, no worries. :)
I remember hitting that spot at around level 18-20, then feeling pretty solid and confident until around level 30- now at 35 I find myself dying again quite frequently. But that's about to change all over again as I just finally got invisibility, and in 4 levels of sneak I can get shadow warrior. All in all I love the challenge of Master difficulty.

Yeah the world definitely starts out much more dangerous on Master. I've really enjoyed climbing up the curve, running into a brick wall of death and fleeing to another area, then plotting my return. As soon as I find someone who sells Frenzy (I think someone in the College does, but I can't find who), I should be ready to tackle two quests I had to bail on. Those bandits are going to murder one another.

I chose the Stormcloaks... even if I am an elf. I mean.. perhaps I can make a difference in the long run, and the Imperials are assholes trying to impose themselves. Thalmor? I can deal with those assholes later :p!

Always found it odd that the Stormcloaks accepted the help of elves. There's no way ulfric would let an Altmer saunter in and become part of the rebellion. I wish they at least addressed that discrepancy.

TTG

I really like the dungeon layouts in this game, even though it reuses assets, most of the ones I've went through felt different.

I've been clearing all of the claw icon dungeons I see on the compass, they're excellent and the loot is worth it too. What keeps it fresh is there's usually a little story behind each one. A lot will have followers waiting at the entrance with some kind of background story, or the cave itself will be home to a unique necromancer/some kind of hostile force. They're just the right length too, those dwemer ruins tend to really stretch out. Thanks to these, I think I've unlocked all of the shouts that are not related to the main quest.

Anteater

I've been clearing all of the claw icon dungeons I see on the compass, they're excellent and the loot is worth it too. What keeps it fresh is there's usually a little story behind each one. A lot will have followers waiting at the entrance with some kind of background story, or the cave itself will be home to a unique necromancer/some kind of hostile force. They're just the right length too, those dwemer ruins tend to really stretch out. Thanks to these, I think I've unlocked all of the shouts that are not related to the main quest.

Yea it's the subtle differences and details that surprised me, instead of feeling like it's something out of a random dungeon generator.

GhaleonEB

Okay, where the heck can I buy Frenzy? The wiki said the court wizard in Solitude had it, but she doesn't. In the College, the guy in the library only sells regular books (no spells) and the only person I can find who sells spell books has Destruction only. I'm level 18 with Illusion at near 40 - it's got to be out there, right? The layout of the College makes it really hard to find stuff.
Yea it's the subtle differences and details that surprised me, instead of feeling like it's something out of a random dungeon generator.

Yeah, it makes each dungeon fit in with the world well; each feels like a real place, with some history. In Oblivion dungeons were just dotted around but there wasn't much rhyme or reason to them. The story details combined with the way dungeons often evolve into something totally different from how they began keeps them fresh, even after I've seen the palette.

TCRS

Banned
The Forsworn Conspiracy questbug...

someone is supposed to attack me after I have searched Weylin's room and leave the Warrens... but no one does.

That probably means no house for me in Markath.. and that is fucked up beyond fuck. fuck. *facepalm*

Jonsoncao

Banned
So Delphine wants me to kill
Paarthurnax
, and there is no choice to side with
Paarthunax
, I was like WTF??????????!!!!!!!!!!! BITCH PLEASE, Bethesda please. It was like killing your very own mentor.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Just about to begin the game for the first time. Any tips? Suggested character builds? Strats? Light armor/heavy armor? Shit like that. The character build process always takes me forever in games like this, so help me streamline it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah, it makes each dungeon fit in with the world well; each feels like a real place, with some history. In Oblivion dungeons were just dotted around but there wasn't much rhyme or reason to them. The story details combined with the way dungeons often evolve into something totally different from how they began keeps them fresh, even after I've seen the palette.
I love when you've already cleared a dungeon randomly/for your own reasons, then you get a quest to go there and it shines new light on the details you noticed but didn't comprehend the first time.

Just about to begin the game for the first time. Any tips? Suggested character builds? Strats? Light armor/heavy armor? Shit like that. The character build process always takes me forever in games like this, so help me streamline it.
By far one of the biggest strengths of the elder scrolls is that you can be viable playing just about any way you want.

What do you like? Stealth? Destructive magic? Sword and shield?

If you give us an idea of how you'd like to play, we can help you streamline the process.

MrOogieBoogie

I was thinking of going with a character adept in one-handed weapons AND a bow as a back-up weapon, with some destructive magic in there. What would you suggest?

Woah, just got the storm Destruction spells for my Destro mage.

Badass stuff, shame they're almost useless cause I'll die too quickly if I try charge them up or if I do manage it my companion will die!

Also, are there any good tanky companions? I'm using one of my housecarls but they really can't take much of a beating at all.

Okay, where the heck can I buy Frenzy? The wiki said the court wizard in Solitude had it, but she doesn't. In the College, the guy in the library only sells regular books (no spells) and the only person I can find who sells spell books has Destruction only. I'm level 18 with Illusion at near 40 - it's got to be out there, right? The layout of the College makes it really hard to find stuff.

Illusion needs to be at 50, 50=adept spells. As well, at the College, each school of magic is represented by one person. Faralda sells Destruction spellbooks for instance. The guy you are looking for is Drevis, a Dark elf. He'll sell you any illusion spells that you can learn at the time.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I was thinking of going with a character adept in one-handed weapons AND a bow as a back-up weapon, with some destructive magic in there. What would you suggest?

That sounds good. You can do melee combat with a spell in one hand and a one handed weapon in the other. You'll want to get the perk that halves magicka for basic destruction spells at first, and if you find yourself really enjoying destruction magic (I love it, it just doesn't suit my character) you should make one of your first personal goals crafting a gear set that reduces mana cost for destruction spells.

Light armor and One-Handed will be leveled up quite easily in regular combat. Archery has some of the coolest perks in the game so when you get a look at the skill tree, you might want to use a bow more than just as a backup.

Pirabear

Banned
You guys weren't kidding about the archery perks. Slo-mo+50% stagger is a game changer. Which conjuration and illusion perks would best compliment an archer? And do I really need to
do Nex and Delvin's quest in order to be leader of the Thieves Guild
? They're getting kind of tedious and annoying.

TTG

You guys weren't kidding about the archery perks. Slo-mo+50% stagger is a game changer. Which conjugation and illusion perks would best compliment an archer? And do I really need to
do Nex and Delvin's quest in order to be leader of the Thieves Guild
? They're getting kind of tedious and annoying.

No you don't, but it's required for an achievement. It's something I'm condemned to at this point, I just get them 2 at a time. Wait until I have to show up at the particular town anyway, then do them.

MrOogieBoogie

That sounds good. You can do melee combat with a spell in one hand and a one handed weapon in the other. You'll want to get the perk that halves magicka for basic destruction spells at first, and if you find yourself really enjoying destruction magic (I love it, it just doesn't suit my character) you should make one of your first personal goals crafting a gear set that reduces mana cost for destruction spells.

Light armor and One-Handed will be leveled up quite easily in regular combat. Archery has some of the coolest perks in the game so when you get a look at the skill tree, you might want to use a bow more than just as a backup.

Sounds good.

Does it matter what race I pick? I went with a Dark Elf named Stilgar (Dune fan, what can I say? :p).

Also, what are some suggested tweaks and mods? Actually, I don't really want to mess with mods right now. I know how fucking annoying they were in Oblivion. But some general .ini tweaks would be appreciated. Currently running the game at Ultra settings, maintaining an average of 45 fps. Game looks wonderful as is. Don't see how mods will help much.

GhaleonEB

Illusion needs to be at 50, 50=adept spells. As well, at the College, each school of magic is represented by one person. Faralda sells Destruction spellbooks for instance. The guy you are looking for is Drevis, a Dark elf. He'll sell you any illusion spells that you can learn at the time.

Thanks, I'll try to find him. Illusion levels fast, especially since it's my primary magic school; I'll have it at 50 in a day or two. I spent half an hour scouring the College for someone. I did pick up three side quests along the way though. :lol

So, I gave up on the quest from Morthal where you have to find the little girl at night; I couldn't find her. I spent well over 2 hours across multiple days trying to find the little brat. My daughter was playing when I got home just now and found
that all you have to do is talk to the Jarl to find her. The hell?! Now she's off to kill a master vampire.

You guys weren't kidding about the archery perks. Slo-mo+50% stagger is a game changer.

Yup. Making guys dance in slow-mo as they stagger, right in front of you, pumping arrows into their chest is so good.

Man, that last boss for the Winterfall College quests is a tough SOB. I'm level 15 and I was out of magic and health potions by the end, and I quicksaved like a mofo.

Really good collection of quests, that. I'm going back to the main quest now, think I'll finish that before I seek out Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood.

So Delphine wants me to kill
Paarthurnax
, and there is no choice to side with
Paarthunax
, I was like WTF??????????!!!!!!!!!!! BITCH PLEASE, Bethesda please. It was like killing your very own mentor.

You don't have to kill him. You can just, you know, not do it.

johnsmith

remember me
God I hate the main quest in Elder Scrolls. I've been skipping all the garbage these annoying npcs are spewing. Just relying on the quest logs to get through the quests to wrap it up and move on to something else.

ElyrionX

I played on Adept difficulty the first 75 hours of the game or so but for the last couple of hours, I decided to switch it up to Expert because things were a bit easy. It was fine at first and then I ran into some Falmer. I am level 53 and decked out in legendary Ebony armor head to toe with an armor rating of 288 and yet a Falmer Nightprowler can take away 80% of my health with just one arrow. WTF? Am I missing something here?

GhaleonEB

I played on Adept difficulty the first 75 hours of the game or so but for the last couple of hours, I decided to switch it up to Expert because things were a bit easy. It was fine at first and then I ran into some Falmer. I am level 53 and decked out in legendary Ebony armor head to toe with an armor rating of 288 and yet a Falmer Nightprowler can take away 80% of my health with just one arrow. WTF? Am I missing something here?

Weird. My level 42 archer could take arrows from them on Expert and only lose 1/4 of my health. Maybe they get a huge boost at level 50 or something.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I just started the game, trying to settle on the settings, and I have a question: Is FXAA generally a less intensive solution with more impressive results, or is there a catch?

TTG

288? Your armor should be close to twice that.

Top Bottom